'Appetite for Destruction' Returns to Top 10 on Billboard

7 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

CD peaked at #3 with zero promotion and against Kanye and Taylor Swift, so not too bad.

People go a little far with the zero promotion thing.. Every rock fan knew it was coming out. Best buy was promoting it. It was steaming all over the internet and radio stations across the country were playing it on air in full the day it was released. It had the potential to take off but it didn't.  It peaked high solely because of the "Guns N' Roses" name and curiosity but that was the extent of its success. After that it was straight to the .99 cent bin.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

People go a little far with the zero promotion thing.. Every rock fan knew it was coming out. Best buy was promoting it. It was steaming all over the internet and radio stations across the country were playing it on air in full the day it was released. It had the potential to take off but it didn't.  It peaked high solely because of the "Guns N' Roses" name and curiosity but that was the extent of its success. After that it was straight to the .99 cent bin.

The album streamed on MySpace in full right before release day. Best Buy did virtually zero promotion, unless you count small cardboard displays in shops. Axl was nowhere to be found and missing a lead guitarist. 

Lets not forget almost all of the album has leaked years prior and by fall 2008, the only unheard songs were Sorry, Scraped and This I Love.

All things considered, I think it did pretty well under the circumstances. CD being the first single with the 1.5 min intro on the radio was also a huge misfire. Rock music was also on life support in the US, as were album sales.

Edited by GNR 1991
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Original said:

I was hoping it would chart inside the top 5, given that today's "artists" suck.

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

I mentioned CD because, of those people that bought it, how many liked it? It sold a fraction of what gnr used to sell, and how many of those will be return customers?

CD sold 2.5 million copies worldwide. If you consider that there are between 50-100 mil GNR fans worldwide (counting casuals) I would say probably most who bought it liked it. Consider that each GNR album did successfully worse in the U.S. after AFD too.

19 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I was hoping it would chart inside the top 5, given that today's "artists" suck.

I couldn't agree more! Music now of days has no heart and soul. Being a former part time musician and producer, the current state of the music business really upsets me. This is why I listen to nothing made (besides the artists I have always liked) after around 2008. "Artists" do not know how to put a story into a song, or create lyrics that will move someone. I honestly wish there was a way to change things. Heck, even a lot of old "main stream" music had meaning behind it.

20 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

The album streamed on MySpace in full right before release day. Best Buy did virtually zero promotion, unless you count small cardboard displays in shops. Axl was nowhere to be found and missing a lead guitarist. 

Lets not forget almost all of the album has leaked years prior and by fall 2008, the only unheard songs were Sorry, Scraped and This I Love.

All things considered, I think it did pretty well under the circumstances. CD being the first single with the 1.5 min intro on the radio was also a huge misfire. Rock music was also on life support in the US, as were album sales.

It was unfortunate that only 3 songs were a mystery. And Scraped was an absolute Shit song. Axl should have released other songs. 

Edited by The Holographic Universe

14 hours ago, Crazyman said:

Eh, I don't like defending Chinese Democracy, but I know this isn't true at all where I'm from. Best Buy didn't promote it for shit, including in their own stores (and I went to several in the area). 

(Edit: I used to have a picture of the "promotion" Best Buy did and it was literally a tiny kiosk-type bullshit in the CD section of the store)

Not every rock fan knew it was coming out, either. I had friends who had no idea it was coming out (I had just turned 18 at the time), yet they knew all about Taylor Swift and Kanye West. 

The Best Buy thing was the stupidest thing they could've done - the recession didn't help but they fucked themselves by making it a single brand album. 

Second edit: btw, if you wanna know how popular GnR was during the day go look at the Billboard end-of-the-year chart for 1994 - "TSI?" is 2 spots lower than "The Downward Spiral" by NIN. A cover album sold slightly less than the magnum opus (not my opinion, btw), for one of the most popular bands of the decade.

Also, "In Utero" sold less than "TSI?" did in the first week. Don't forget that. When people claim GnR was finished around that time (aka commercially) I can't help but laugh. 

I'm in Canada and the day it came out (It was a Sunday, right?) I went to Futureshop (our Best Buy, since bought out by Best Buy) and they had a display for it. No promotion leading up it it there was just a display up one day. It just appeared on the New Release section at Walmart. I THINK there may have been a quick TV spot but I was watching all the TV spots from the US online so I might be getting them confused. But yeah, if you weren't following it and knew it was coming it would have just appeared one day.

5 hours ago, Stoymatic said:

I couldn't agree more! Music now of days has no heart and soul. Being a former part time musician and producer, the current state of the music business really upsets me. This is why I listen to nothing made (besides the artists I have always liked) after around 2008. "Artists" do not know how to put a story into a song, or create lyrics that will move someone. I honestly wish there was a way to change things. Heck, even a lot of old "main stream" music had meaning behind it.

I do think that Halestorm, Shinedown, Pretty Reckless, Black Stone Cherry, etc are bring back good music. 

It entered the Danish Album Top 40 chart at #35. It's #4 on the Vinyl Top 40 chart.
I bought my copy on the band's German store (Free shipping, but what a nightmare...), so it sadly doesn't count towards my country's chart. I assume a lot of other people import as well.