Final thoughts on NITL tour

Pros- it's the reunion, April 2016 and NA 2016 stadium leg was near perfect, setlist

Cons- no Steven and Adler, Axl noticeably weaker in 2017 and 2018, no new songs

NITL is my personal favorite tour because of what I experienced personally. I'm glad it happened. That being said, its time to end. We all want new music. 

• Like 1

I saw a handful of US shows (the opening Vegas shows included).  I appreciated them more now vs back in the AFD/UYI touring days (for a variety of reasons) and am happy they reunited.  With that said the wasted years are depressing to look back at (what coulda/shoulda been).  None the less they showed the rock n roll world how the big boys do it and kicked ass again.  I wonder if this is it for them as a band (Axl is old, Slash n Duff getting up there <although they don't sing>)...?

2 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

If they find Izzy or play a new song then I’d agree. But everything has been touched on in this tour except those two 

My opinion is that it should come to an end, by the end of this year because, as you well said, there's not much left to do. However, I could easily see this draggin on endlessly. 

Speaking for myself, and having been to Lisbon, Prague, Paris, Berlin and Madrid, all of them were special in their own way. Funny enough, each had a different setlist, so that's something I can't really complain about. If you ask me, it's either new music or retire for good; GN'R is starting to cash in on nostalgia and that's one of the main reasons I didn't buy the AFD Super Deluxe, that unboxing video gave me nausea, as it seemed like my favourite band was now some kind of old fucking museum art piece.

This said, it's been a great run, with unforgettable shows, endless hours of music, loads of fun and a tremendous pleasure to see the gang on stage - forever grateful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baldek said:

My opinion is that it should come to an end, by the end of this year because, as you well said, there's not much left to do. However, I could easily see this draggin on endlessly. 

Speaking for myself, and having been to Lisbon, Prague, Paris, Berlin and Madrid, all of them were special in their own way. Funny enough, each had a different setlist, so that's something I can't really complain about. If you ask me, it's either new music or retire for good; GN'R is starting to cash in on nostalgia and that's one of the main reasons I didn't buy the AFD Super Deluxe, that unboxing video gave me nausea, as it seemed like my favourite band was now some kind of old fucking museum art piece.

This said, it's been a great run, with unforgettable shows, endless hours of music, loads of fun and a tremendous pleasure to see the gang on stage - forever grateful.

Agree on the cash grab part. We haven’t even had a proper interview with the 3 of em. They have been utterly silent on the future of this band and seemingly did this European run again Bc they were offered a handsome number. 

The remaster seems more like a label thing taking advantage of the reunion. Obviously Axl and co. are getting their cut but I don’t think they were looking to do anything like that. In fact I think the touring is  as far they will take this. But we’ll see, I’ll be happy to be proven wrong.  

My problem with the tour is if Axl wanted to validate Frank and Fortus (a member of Guns for 18 years) then he should make an album with those guys, but carrying them around on tour is pointless. Might as well have Adler and Izzy, Sorum, Gilby...just go all out on the nostalgia if that’s what this is 

• Like 3

For all the fans some kind of group interview, or at least with the three of them would have been really great. But hey, it's Guns and they never really were into doing that kind of stuff I guess. It does hurt a bit when you think what could have been when they re-united already 10 years ago, but hey... When it see thing happening live like the new start of Better I feel there is hope for new music :-) But I'll guess we all dream on...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, baldek said:

I'm pretty sure that all of my 4 shows also had a different setlist - but for me switching Patience/Don't Cry or playing an additional CD song is not enough for calling it a different setlist. They should have had  a pool of about 50 songs ready which they could have mixed up the setlist a little bit (of course with old songs as it was the reunion tour) - that would have made the concerts a little bit less predictable

13 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

I think to call Richard, someone who has been in the band longer than Slash and Duff ever were, "some session musician" is pretty disenguous.

18 years won't change the fact that he has done nothing for the legendary legacy of the band or contributed anything to any gnr release PLUS not a single ticket more or less would have been sold if he wouldn't have been part of the tour - I guess that makes him a session/live musician and nothing else

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Number of shows left yet and another leg to be completed yet but its slowly coming to a close. Wouldn't be surprised if more dates are added tbh.

Its been a successful tour, SOYL got released, Appetite got remastered, a nice big boxset release for the fans, now new material must be made to try & more forward, its literally nostalgia at this point and I'm not saying that's a bad thing because in this day & age nostalgia is everywhere in music, movies etc but as a band Guns need to release a new album to return to an album releasing band, that means moving forward.

40 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

This was a cash grab of epic proportions.

Though it is slightly better than doing Vegas Residencies and Birthday Parties with DJ Ashba...that was the lowest of lows.

This is just insanity! 

It was pretty cool, but the highlight was in 2016, and that's already 2 years ago. Since then, we are getting increasingly worse performances from Axl, balanced with a few changes in the setlist, with mixed results. Slither, Shadow are cool, but stuff like Wichita, meh. Hopefully this run is coming to an end and there are some surprises in the future.

Pros

Seeing Axl/Slash/Duff back together
Axl has been reliable
Getting to see Slash play Gn'R classics that he hasn't played in decades.. Estranged is right on top of that list.

Cons
The biggest thing for me is the lineup.  The quality of the music has suffered in my eyes.  Axl's voice is one thing and I think he is doing the best he can with what he has left but the band itself should sound better than ever at this stage of the game but they just don't. There really isn't one song that they play better now than back in the day. The natural chemistry just isn't there and I attribute that to Frank and Fortus. The drumming situation is just brutal.. 

They use actually shows for band practice. 

Ticket prices

Too much focus on learning CD songs instead of Gn'R classics. That seems to have shifted a bit this leg though with Slither and SOYL

Axl's voice and appearance

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2