Final thoughts on NITL tour

Highlights were Axl showing up on time-I was at the first Detroit show, and could hear people around me going "no way" when the Intro started.

The amount of Chinese Democracy songs, and 10 years ago I thought there would be no chance in hell Axl Rose would be singing a Velvet Revolver song during a Guns concert.

The length of the tour-I went to 2 Vegas shows, and the Detroit show-I'm glad I got to see Axl and SLash together before I kick the Bucket

I think the concerts overall were very good

Lowlights:

the lack of press or interviews from the band is frustrating, and has been frustrating for years.  

Was hoping for at least one new song.

The setlist not changing much. I do understand it's a tour for a much larger audience that the boards.

I think this tour kind of wraps up GNR in a way for Axl. He seems happy, has nothing left to prove. I'm glad for the reunion, but I think back to 2002 and thought there were at least 3 or 4 more albums coming in the next 10 to 15 years.

shows were nothing more than a cash grab, in fact this whole semi-reunion including the $1,000 box sets is nothing more than a cash grab, that said I saw 8 NITL shows and they were all awesome, could have done without a few of the covers and most of the Chinese Democracy songs

1 hour ago, Kwick1 said:

The only con for me is that I didn't go to a show. I didn't buy into the hype of the reunion tour as they aren't really my thing and maybe the memory of the '91 show still haunted me.  But seeing Axl, Slash and Duff on stage together and having a great time is something that I won't miss again if another US leg is added. If this is the end, not going to a show is a huge regret. 

just out of curiosity, did you not go to a show because of not thinking it was a real reunion, or maybe they did not go in your area?

11 minutes ago, k12 said:

shows were nothing more than a cash grab, in fact this whole semi-reunion including the $1,000 box sets is nothing more than a cash grab, that said I saw 8 NITL shows and they were all awesome, could have done without a few of the covers and most of the Chinese Democracy songs

just out of curiosity, did you not go to a show because of not thinking it was a real reunion, or maybe they did not go in your area?

Of course there's a ton of money involved, but they did it right. On some legs they played 30+ songs and 3 1/2 hours. Fans got their money's worth. They could've just done what Motley did and go out on a gimmick tour while completely hating each other, and showing it, and play 16 songs and a few solos and hightail it out of there an hour and 40 mins later. No one knows how Axl, Slash and Duff really feel about each other, but they surely don't make it seem like they still hate each other. They've been completely professional on stage, and this tour seemed to bring the admiration back between the three at least, and that's also a perk from the 3 getting back together. Let's hope for some new tunes and a bright future, but this band is about as secretive as it gets so who knows what the future holds.

• Like 1

An Appetite reunion would've been nice, but my main complaint after 15 shows is the fact that they did the exact same set both nights in Chicago when at that time they were at least switching OTGM and My Michelle out.

Pros:

-The mystery and excitement before the tour. Only new music could get us as excited again.

- Seeing Axl, Slash and Duff together again was obviously amazing.

- Coma

- The setlist in general was great, even if it was predictable for us. But especially at the show that I saw, they played every single song that I hoped they would play, so it's hard to complain. And it's cool to see Slash and Duff play CD songs as well as Axl singing Slither. And as I never got to see Chris Cornell live, it was awesome to see them play Black Hole Sun.

- In 2016 Axl's voice was pretty good. Now it is what it is. Amazing on some songs and pretty bad on some songs.

- Adler's quest appearances were great and It's good to know that Izzy had been invited as well.

- Some other nice surpises as well, for example GNR joining Foo Fighters on stage.

Cons:

- No new music

Slash returned to the band two fucking years ago... just saying. Yeah it was nice to see them again and all, but it's been 2 years. It's not like he returned yesterday...

Some comments on this thread make me realize why they didn't even bother to bring Izzy and Steven back, or to release atleast ONE new song... No wonder why they still sell-out stadiums for the same show over and over again. Slash's return made a lot of fans blind because otherwise I can't see how you still believe that this reunion is "fresh" and that "all that matters is that Slash and Duff are back". They've been in the band for more than two years now. And also being called a "hater" because you point that some stuff in this reunion is wrong... LOL.

I've seen 3 NITL shows before someone tries to bring that stupid argument. People criticized Axl for MUCH LESS than this when Slash was not around.

And related to the topic: I loved the shows, I loved Axl's voice in 2016, I loved Coma/Slither/Shadow. I loved the 2015 rumors/announcement/Troubadour build up. I loved a lot of stuff from this reunion. But I'm not blind, this thing has been dragged for too long now. I hope it ends soon and we get some new music.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Slash returned to the band two fucking years ago... just saying. Yeah it was nice to see them again and all, but it's been 2 years. It's not like he returned yesterday...

Some comments on this thread make me realize why they didn't even bother to bring Izzy and Steven back, or to release atleast ONE new song... No wonder why they still sell-out stadiums for the same show over and over again. Slash's return made a lot of fans blind because otherwise I can't see how you still believe that this reunion is "fresh" and that "all that matters is that Slash and Duff are back". They've been in the band for more than two years now. And also being called a "hater" because you point that some stuff in this reunion is wrong... LOL.

I've seen 3 NITL shows before someone tries to bring that stupid argument. People criticized Axl for MUCH LESS than this when Slash was not around.

And related to the topic: I loved the shows, I loved Axl's voice in 2016, I loved Coma/Slither/Shadow. I loved the 2015 rumors/announcement/Troubadour build up. I loved a lot of stuff from this reunion. But I'm not blind, this thing has been dragged for too long now. I hope it ends soon and we get some new music.

I don't think you quite understand this topic. Yes, Slash has been back for 2 years and people are going to mention him over and over again because this thread is thoughts about the tour including when it started, and his return was a main focal point of said tour. To get angry about the fact that people mention how happy they were to see Axl and Slash together is just silly. It was a reunion that no one saw coming, and it made a lot of people happy. There have been many reunion tours out there that start with the bands on the road and move on to new music later. Let's hope this is one of them. 

• Like 1

For me I never could've imagined that Slash and Axl would ever be on the same stage together again, and that it happened still blows my mind. The excitement and buildup around the Troubador and the Vegas shows was incredible. I still regret not blowing off work and driving to LA the night before when people were posting about the line forming at Tower Records. When the Vegas shows happened I stayed up late watching on Periscope, and seeing them play Coma live again for the first time since UYI was an indescribable feeling. I only attended one show but seeing Axl and Slash and Duff together on the same stage playing those songs again right in front of my eyes... it was like a dream or something. I love that we got to hear Slash play songs again that he hasn't done in a long time (Estranged, Coma, Don't Cry, November Rain were my main ones) and remind us why those songs are so magical in the first place. I grew to love the Seeker and I enjoyed hearing their take on some of the CD songs (which were all new to me when the tour started). And then this year with Axl singing Slither... that's probably the most Not In This Lifetime moment for me. As far as Fortus and Frank are concerned, well I wasn't thrilled that they were playing but I've grown to tolerate them. I don't think Frank is as bad now as he was at the beginning of the 2016 run (he was all over the place then). Yeah he doesn't play the fills and all the parts exactly like Steven and Matt did but he's been consistent in what he does play and I admire that. At this point the whole band sounds really tight and they're putting on a good show. Oh, and I absolutely adore Melissa. I love her energy and enthusiasm.

Apart from the music aspect of it was really wonderful to see the three of them getting along together; hanging out backstage and enjoying each other's company like in the old days. Axl looks like he has finally found peace and has laid his demons to rest and we should all be happy about that. Seeing TB and all of them getting along and hanging out was cool too, in light of what they've all said in the past about each other. Meegan talking to Fernando and Beta and the others during the show is really sweet to witness. They seem like a big happy family now.

As far as downsides go, I don't like that GnR has more or less turned into what they were against back when they were young and struggling. I wonder what they would think if someone went back in time to 1987 and showed them pictures and footage from a NITL show, saying "this is what you're going to become in 30 years." I don't like how they played Steven in order to ensure his silence then throwing him a little bone so that he would feel closure. Same with Izzy, it's unfortunate that they couldn't work out something so he could show up for a few guest appearances (preferably at the same time as Steven). No interviews with all three of them together, or any kind of public appearance on TV or elsewhere apart from the shows themselves.

I feel confident that they will work on and release new music in the near future since this tour has been very successful and they have settled into the dynamics of this lineup. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'd buy that if he wasn't absolutely killing it with AC/DC. His voice in the Axl/DC shows was easily as good as any of the 2010 shows.

Nope, Axl/DC was awesome but not on par with 2010. Just... not at all. 2010 was Axl Master Class.

I saw them in the most isolated capital city in the world (Perth, Australia!) in a terrible (now-closed) stadium, spending too much on tickets and ending up in the front section.

This was February 2017, about 9-10 months after the Troubadour, Coachella, and the Vegas shows (which I'd listened to bootlegs of like crazy).

I got Coma. I got Double Talkin' Jive. I got Estranged (a song I never loved when I got into Gunners aged 7 when UYI came out). I got Don't Cry. I got Duff singing Attitude and I got Axl performing Layla (Piano Exit) before November Rain - a song I've loved since first seeing Goodfellas. I got Yesterdays. I got Chinese Democracy and a killer new intro to Better. Given what was played in the prior months, I got the setlist I fuckin' wanted. I even bumped into Gio who I met when he was working for Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins and I last saw holding two guys to the ground in an interlocked pin.

A year later? I saw Steven at a tiny club, hung out during soundcheck, was greeted with a beaming smile and a big hug, and got my original artwork AFD signed - a record I've had since I was 10, on holiday with family in the UK and couldn't find a copy of Live Like A Suicide.

I've bought a Super Deluxe Edition of AFD, with a tonne of great sessions in amazing quality from their time at Sound City, a new version of SOYL, a 5.1 remix of the album that I'm desperate to hear when I move back into my house, a high resolution remaster of the album, and a great sounding copy of their Mystic Studio session sitting on my hard drive.

What I'd like? A new album (hell, even an EP), a live Blu-ray or audio CD will all the tracks played throughout the run (including the VR and CD stuff).

But if I don't get that? I've got some great quality bootlegs (even if there's some less than stellar performances vocally on some tracks) and I've seen a band I've loved since I was seven. I'm 34 now.

I'm happy as shit. Even if things haven't been perfect, they've been goddamn good enough for me.

• Like 4

Pros:

Well, I'm just happy I have seen Axl, Duff and Slash together on stage.

The energy is good and they seem to have fun doing it.

Cons:

Doubts about GnR's future, because there is no new music. On the other hand I'm hopeful, because they're making a lot of money from this tour and they still have a lot of music "in the vault". Even if you look at this as a cash grab tour, then they might just release a new album with touched up stuff they already have and tour it again. Just to make more money.

No Izzy. I really like Richard Fortus as a no drama guitar player, but Izzy adds a certain additude to the band and is a great songwriter.

The mystique is gone for good now. I really hoped Axl would release this amazing album that was hyped so much, with songs like "The General".

The biggest CON for me is that this tour made me realize that Guns will never quite be the Guns we badly want as long as Axl is boss.
No new music is due to Axl.  Slash/Duff have always realeased new music.
No interviews / gag orders is due to Axl.  Slash/Duff have always being happy to do the media rounds.
2 keyboard players is Axl's thing.  Slash/Duff have never used one.
Still a big focus on CD is due to Axl - lets be honest, most fans just didn't take to it. 
No band chemistry is due to Axl picking musicians instead of letting the main musicians do that.
No old footage or shows from the UYI tour is also on Axl.  

I feel like Guns hit rewind to 20 years ago, and Slash/Duff agreed to the terms they rejected 20 years previously.

• Like 1

On 9.7.2018 at 9:13 PM, zombux said:

the only positive thing here maybe is, that even this bored nostalgia cash grab thing is better than 2011 1996 - 2014 dark era.

Fixed that for you.

My pro is the tour happening. Seeing it all unfold and them all seemingly getting along and the change of attitude in Axl's demeanor.

My con is them not being able to work something out with Izzy and Steven, and/or as a backup Gilby and Matt. Didn't really want Fortus, Ferrer and Reese being part of this tour and thus I continue to ignore them when going to the shows. The other con is the ticket prices, fucking "VIP" packages and "Early entry". Fuck that shit. Seeing from where GNR originally came from, it's a disgrace.

Edited by PatrickS77

Pros- Guys (I mean at least three of them) seems to be happy, and earned a lot of money... Fat daddies who danced to Don't Cry at their prom, watched November Rain video on MTV, had big Slash and Axl poster from teen magazine on their wall, and have no fuckin clue who Izzy Stradlin was, are happy too...

Cons- Brand, sorry- band that calles itself GnR becomes more of a joke every each day...

how do you guys think they will bow out when they're ready to wrap it up and retire, will it be a case of no new tour announced and they just disappear in to the history books or will it be a big fanfare farewell tour ? 

I went to 12 shows. First two Vegas shows were special, and nothing will top that. 

Vocally improved by MetLife show I went too and that NA run in 2016 was probably Axls best sounding.

HOWEVER.. the best overall show is 2018. The setlists are now that lengthy, they are pretty much playing to every type of fan. Adding slither and shadow and still including old stuff which was occasionally dropped in 16/17 like Used to Love her and Yesterdays. 

A few years ago we never thought this tour would materialise and here we are discussing Axls vocals on SLITHER!!! Crazy.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, acor said:

Cons- Brand, sorry- band that calles itself GnR becomes more of a joke every each day...

Nah, brand is right too. Guns N' Roses have been a brand at least from 1991. That's what huge arena/stadium bands are. Brands. It doesn't automatically dilute the intergrity of the music or the musicians.

On topic:

Pros:

- Seeing them last year. Never thought I'd see Axl, Duff and Slash performing together. Hearing them play Coma was a dream come true.
- Duff and Slash playing Chinese Democracy songs. I love those songs to begin with, but they made them sound even better.
- Axl singing Slither and the symbolic meaning of it. Watching the latest video of it and seeing him really into it, is heart warming. (Also, kind of bittersweet. R.I.P. Scott Weiland.)

Cons:

- No new music.
- The cringey box set.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1

The majority of the gripes here are about the lack of new music. I understand it, as I want new tunes as much as the next person. However, this was put together as a reunion tour amongst core members and they went down the road that most bands that reunite do. The Police, Springsteen and his band, Kiss, Maiden, Fleetwood Mac, Priest, Van Halen, Soundgarden, Styx and Sabbath are all major bands that reunited to tour without new music or just put out greatest hits or live albums. Most of them did eventually put out new stuff after their tours were over, so I'm holding out hope that Guns does the same. They just keep everything so secret that we probably wont know anything until it happens or not. I suppose we just have to wait this tour out when it eventually ends. I don't think the guys expected it to be as successful or as long as it's been, and I dont blame them for continuing it as long as people keep coming. 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2018 at 5:10 AM, Sonicjam said:

Absolutely. Well said. Everything is great. So far and we're lucky to have gotten this at all.

All that's missing is new music and promotion.

Thank you.  And yes, new music and promotion is missing. However, I did get a little hyped over the little tease videos that were released of the box set, like the It's So Easy video and the Shadow of Your Love video.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoBucky said:

The majority of the gripes here are about the lack of new music. I understand it, as I want new tunes as much as the next person. However, this was put together as a reunion tour amongst core members and they went down the road that most bands that reunite do. The Police, Springsteen and his band, Kiss, Maiden, Fleetwood Mac, Priest, Van Halen, Soundgarden, Styx and Sabbath are all major bands that reunited to tour without new music or just put out greatest hits or live albums. Most of them did eventually put out new stuff after their tours were over, so I'm holding out hope that Guns does the same. They just keep everything so secret that we probably wont know anything until it happens or not. I suppose we just have to wait this tour out when it eventually ends. I don't think the guys expected it to be as successful or as long as it's been, and I dont blame them for continuing it as long as people keep coming. 

Thats a very solid point about legendary bands that do reunion tours. I'm a huge Fleetwood Mac fan and we've haven't seen new music out of them since 2003. Now they're doing another tour...without Lindsay Buckingham :( and they're are talks of new music being laid down. But anyways, its a solid point, so many bands in that category tour without new music and just their name alone sells out arenas and stadiums. If the formula works, then why try changing it?

5 hours ago, WWEROSES said:

Thats a very solid point about legendary bands that do reunion tours. I'm a huge Fleetwood Mac fan and we've haven't seen new music out of them since 2003. Now they're doing another tour...without Lindsay Buckingham :( and they're are talks of new music being laid down. But anyways, its a solid point, so many bands in that category tour without new music and just their name alone sells out arenas and stadiums. If the formula works, then why try changing it?

Because really, if we face the truth, only a small minority goes to these shows for new songs. In most likelyhood said new songs never will live up to the hits and in most cases, the new songs take the place of the tested and tried hits, so less of what people want to see and more of the stuff that might not live up to the hits. Of course, in GNRs case it's different. They could just drop a couple of covers and play new songs instead.

2 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Because really, if we face the truth, only a small minority goes to these shows for new songs. In most likelyhood said new songs never will live up to the hits and in most cases, the new songs take the place of the tested and tried hits, so less of what people want to see and more of the stuff that might not live up to the hits. Of course, in GNRs case it's different. They could just drop a couple of covers and play new songs instead.

You're right, we are basically the minority when it comes to going to a show and wanting to hear new material. Basically any casual fans could give two shits less about new material and just want to hear the hits and then take a piss break during a song they don't recognize. I find that to be the case with every band I've seen live. I believe it was either Mic Fleetwood or Stevie Nicks that said "why bother put so much time into releasing new music when people who want to go our shows want to hear the hits....in this day and age..releasing music seems pointless due to live streaming and people downloading music for free....you work hard to make new music for people to just steal it" I can't recall the article where I read it from, but I can totally see their point and I'm sure alot of bands who've been around for a long time, from that generation and on feel the same way. It is really the bands fault for feeding into the nostalgia act? mean it sells tickets, sells out venues...drives up merch...to make money...I remember going to two Metallica concerts in the last decade...both tours they were promoting a new album...St. Anger and Hardwired... to Self-Destruct....the St. Anger tour, they played two songs from that album and the rest was all hits...The Hardwired tour...2-3 songs at most...rest was all hits...Stevie Nicks was probably the only artist I've seen where she was actually performing the majority of the material from her latest album release and throwing a handful of hits as well...however her album she was promoting was a release of older material.... I saw Evanescence last year and they were promoting Synthesis...the show I went to, no new songs, just a collection of their radio hits...I've seen a ton of more bands in the last decade and they all seem to follow that same formula....play the hits...you're lucky if you get a cover tune. I don't blame the band, I blame the fans and the way fans are these days...They prefer the hits over anything new...thus never giving any new material a chance or in Guns case...anything new that comes out pales in to anything on Appetite...therefore its shit and not worth the time of day.

Edited by WWEROSES

Funny, the other day I was reading a post from a Dave Matthews fan on a fan run twitter account who said he was done going to shows this summer because Dave is only switching out 3 or 4 songs from the nightly setlist.  Mind you they just put out a new album, so they are playing 4 or 5 songs from that nightly also. I don't think he would last as a Guns fan lol.

• Like 1