Final thoughts on NITL tour

I loved seeing them live. I loved watching shows on here and the comradery we all shared around shows, announcements, sm videos teasers, etc. 

Also though, I feel like my appreciation of their artistry was kinda, like, taken and sold to the highest bidder. Something deeper then just them selling out. Not sure how to express it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gavin82 said:

@Snytefant come on dont keep us in suspense what countrys did you see them in??

I do have it in my signature, but here it goes :) And of course, I count Europe + USA as "Around the world" :D

04.06.17 - Madrid, Spain
07.06.17 - Zurich, Switzerland
13.06.17 - Munich, Germany
20.06.17 - Gdansk, Poland
27.06.17 - Copenhagen, Denmark
29.06.17 - Stockholm, Sweden
10.07.17 - Vienna, Austria
24.11.17 - Staples Center, LA, USA
25.11.17 - The Forum, LA, USA

03.06.18 - Berlin, Germany
01.07.18 - Barcelona, Spain
19.07.18 - Oslo, Norway
21.07.18 - Gothenburg, Sweden

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Snytefant said:

I do have it in my signature, but here it goes :) And of course, I count Europe + USA as "Around the world" :D

04.06.17 - Madrid, Spain
07.06.17 - Zurich, Switzerland
13.06.17 - Munich, Germany
20.06.17 - Gdansk, Poland
27.06.17 - Copenhagen, Denmark
29.06.17 - Stockholm, Sweden
10.07.17 - Vienna, Austria
24.11.17 - Staples Center, LA, USA
25.11.17 - The Forum, LA, USA

03.06.18 - Berlin, Germany
01.07.18 - Barcelona, Spain
19.07.18 - Oslo, Norway
21.07.18 - Gothenburg, Sweden

Let me be curious and take a guess: you’ve got tickets to 25.11 LA show as “for the last on the tour”? But then they announced a couple more, suppose you were pissed off a bit. The same with Sweden 2018 - the last show in Iceland was announced later. So unlucky, huh? 

1 hour ago, nikothebellic said:

Let me be curious and take a guess: you’ve got tickets to 25.11 LA show as “for the last on the tour”? But then they announced a couple more, suppose you were pissed off a bit. The same with Sweden 2018 - the last show in Iceland was announced later. So unlucky, huh? 

Yeah, no. Of course, it would've been cool to have been at "the last show", but it didn't piss me off.
I would've went to Iceland if they had announced it at the same time of the rest, but not just for GnR. Never been to Iceland and it would be cool to go there for a long weekend.

The LA shows was booked from the hotel in Gdansk the day after the gig in a GnR-high and we couldn't stand it to be "just" 3 more shows, and "what if Forum is the last GnR gig ever".
Quite an expensive impulse decision :D

• Like 1

I went to the two dodger stadium shows on the first leg, the two london shows the next summer and the 4-hour Forum show that ended the US leg.

Overall, they were pretty fun. The 2nd night at Dodger stadium and the second night in London stand out as my favorites. It wasn't as magical as I'd hoped it would be to see Axl and Slash play together though. I saw VR a lot in venues that ranged from parking lots to amphitheaters and I saw Axl's band at some slightly smaller places as well, so the the big nature of the shows made it feel a little more disconnected from how I am used to seeing all those guys. 

In the end the pros were seeing some songs I've never heard before that I have loved for years, seeing Slash and Axl finally not hating each other and getting to travel to London for two of the shows.

The cons were the shows didn't change much, I cannot stand fortus, melissa and frank being up there, and Axl's voice was pretty fucking bad a lot of the time.

I'm glad I saw what I did but without smaller venues, adding Izzy back in or promising to change the set (like a skin n' bones type thing) I don't know if I'd go to anymore shows at this point.

Also for the record, while everyone thinks the 4-hour show was some special feat..it was pretty fucking boring at a point watching all the masturbatory jamming and endless array of Chinese songs (and I'm even a fan of that album overall).

I saw an 8-song Jane's Addiction show like a couple weeks later and had probably more fun. Quality>Quantity.

Flew over from Glasgow, Scotland to see GNR in Madison Square Garden on 10 October 2017. That in itself would be a pretty cool story! But the fact that the venue was awesome, the gig was awesome and the people I met on the night were also awesome just added to the experience. Loved it. The one thing people forget about the static set lists is that you can strategically plan your piss breaks with relatively pin point accuracy! So whilst the Lord may taketh, he also giveth! For that alone, I was very glad to hear the opening chimes of This I Love!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sisyphus said:

If Axl's voice was up to par, all the other complaints would dissipate.

Nah, it depends on what you like to see at a show. As some people posted earlier, the jams were endless. I saw them 3 times, and went to grab a beer every time the "Layla" jam began, or Slash began the neverending Rocket Queen solo.  Bored me to tears. 

If I were to do it again, I'd have probably tried to go the Mexico and Buenos Aires shows in 2016 seeing as I couldn't get into the US (that way I would have got TWAT and Adler), and maybe a couple less shows in Europe in 2017. Montreal show was a surprising dud for me (was still cool finally seeing a GNR gig with @Powerage5 and getting poutine), would probably have chosen Edmonton or Vancouver if I knew they were gonna pull out Catcher and I Feel Good.

Can't believe they played the same setlist 5 shows in a row in 2018, but to be fair it is a longer setlist, and a pretty good one. Glad I got Maddy and Shadow of Your Love; Slither really needs more rasp from Axl.

If the November shows look like they're gonna be good, I would happily pay top dollar to fly last minute to Taiwan and Hong Kong. As it is, I haven't booked anything and will wait and see.

The best show I saw by far on the NITL tour was the first one I caught, Toronto 2016; even being sat all the way back in the cheap seats, you could feel Axl's venom on tracks like Out Ta Get Me.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Amir said:

If I were to do it again, I'd have probably tried to go the Mexico and Buenos Aires shows in 2016 seeing as I couldn't get into the US (that way I would have got TWAT and Adler), and maybe a couple less shows in Europe in 2017. Montreal show was a surprising dud for me (was still cool finally seeing a GNR gig with @Powerage5 and getting poutine), would probably have chosen Edmonton or Vancouver if I knew they were gonna pull out Catcher and I Feel Good.

Can't believe they played the same setlist 5 shows in a row in 2018, but to be fair it is a longer setlist, and a pretty good one. Glad I got Maddy and Shadow of Your Love; Slither really needs more rasp from Axl.

If the November shows look like they're gonna be good, I would happily pay top dollar to fly last minute to Taiwan and Hong Kong. As it is, I haven't booked anything and will wait and see.

The best show I saw by far on the NITL tour was the first one I caught, Toronto 2016; even being sat all the way back in the cheap seats, you could feel Axl's venom on tracks like Out Ta Get Me.

2016 was :heart:

That year was the reunion I envisioned (although with Izzy and Steven). Axl sounded killer and juggled ACDC. Amazing 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Amir said:

Poutineageddon was definitely worth a lackluster show (I think MTL was my least favorite NITL gig, and maybe my second or third least favorite GN'R gig ever). 

• Like 1

Al lot of the pros and cons on here seem to be shared by many posters so for me, most people seem to share similar feelings on what was good or bad. 

Pros: 

axl slash n duff on the same stage

Cons:

the aliens

no Steven and Izzy or at the least Sorum and gilby

the shameless box set at $1000

duff turning corporate as fuck 

no Axl/slash interviews 

no celebration of AFD with the original band members, just a shitty overpriced box set arriving a year too late rather than a full appetite show which leads me to my next point..

missed opportunities on a major level in so many ways. The band had the opportunity to give the fans so much more than what was delivered at certain points but couldn’t do it, either by ego? Bad management, lack of creative vision or a willingness to just not give a fuck. From celebrating 30 years of AFD, to not getting Izzy on board because of greed, and the treatment of Steven by Axl, along with persisting with their no talk policy while shamelessly raping the wallets of their hardest core fans who waited so long to see slash done back has been a major letdown For a lot of very loyal fans. 

Another con is the situation which whilst not linked directly to NITL is the situation which developed on here with fans being threatened in regards to music being removed from YouTube and a lack of interest from management to address that situation..

honestly the cons actually could go on and on but the apologists will just call it whinging 😂

Axl n Slash sharing a stage trumps most of that, but the goodwill from loyal fans won’t last forever if they don’t release something new or somehow change it up by being back the original 2 who are still missing. 

Rant over 😜

Edited by Tadsy
  • Like 3

The biggest regret I have in my GnR fandom is that I chose to not go to NITLT when the shows were within driving distance. My thinking was that I've seen the original 5 AFD and UYI tour in '91. I'm not a reunion type person and a late night makes getting up at 4 to train the next day difficult but following the shows on here since joining opened my eyes to how special this is. I so wish they would announce another US date. 

One con I would also point, as a fellow like minded reveller above did, was that the length of the show was just too long. Yes, we know Slash likes to solo but oh my word does it get tedious when it happens after every other song! Does anybody else find the Godfather theme completely and utterly pointless?! I would also question why The Seeker remains in the set. It's not even a particularly good Who song! 

12 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

One con I would also point, as a fellow like minded reveller above did, was that the length of the show was just too long. Yes, we know Slash likes to solo but oh my word does it get tedious when it happens after every other song! Does anybody else find the Godfather theme completely and utterly pointless?! I would also question why The Seeker remains in the set. It's not even a particularly good Who song! 

No, The Godfather live is always a treat.

Th Seeker is a fun song and they all enjoy doing it. Makes it worth it imo. I wouldn't be shedding any tears if they dropped it, but I don't mind it.

At this point I've accepted The Seeker (it's under 3 mins, it's uptempo and Axl sounds good on it. He should've left it with the NuGNR era but I'll take it as an 'extra').

I hope they end the tour on a high note, instead of the bloated shows they've been doing since 2017. Cut it back to about 2.5 hours, definitely keep it under 3 hours, get rid of songs that just drag (Yesterdays, Coma, Black Hole Sun, This I Love, WYWH, etc), keep Shadow and Slither, and bring back OTGM. Keep it 'short' and powerful. When Axl has to pace himself over 3.5-4 hours, the shows suffer overall.