Appetite-Era/ Vintage Un-circulated Audio/Video List

Don't Cry - 1985 
Perfect Crime - 1986
You Could Be Mine - 1986/87
The Garden - 1987
Double Talkin' Jive - 1988 
Back Off Bitch - 1982
November Rain - 1983
Use Your Illusion I = Appetite For Destruction II. (Wich was the way axl intended it to be)

35 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

back off bitch 1982? i wanna know more about.

There is an audio interview with Axl (Rockline 1991 - only some excerpts of it are on youtube) where he says that it was written in 1982.

Also in the 1992 Rolling Stone interview he said that it was written 10 years ago.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/axl-rose-the-rolling-stone-interview-99204/

Edited by Blackstar

Marquee 1987:

• Audio: Soundboard recording exists, fact. 3 nights? Tracks from 28th were included on japanese ep.
  • Video: According to Slash it exists. Not Pro filming apparently.

“I have a video for one of those evenings, someone was walking around with a camera, and videotaped the entire day, from before soundcheck all the way through the show. I have it on DVD, I don’t even remember who shot it, but someone gave it to me in the last couple of years. I’m sitting there with it, I don’t know what to do with it. It was packed to the rafters, and it was a real proper rock ‘n’ roll kind of thing.”

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/guns-n-roses-under-a-marquee-moon/

Thx to Scott Rheinberger for posting this on YT

Perkins Palace Pasadena 1987 ( Fred Coury on drums):

Listening to the december 30th audio bootleg Axl mentions before Patience he wants Steven onstage. Axl wants that moment on film, yep someone is filming. 

Apparently, (just speculating from pics and audio) what he wants to preserve is filming Adler playing percussion and doing backup vocals for the Patience outro. Out of tune btw :headbang:

Side note➡ Previous night (28th) Axl says before Patience Steven's gonna try....inaudible... for the first time.

@kevinb are you the same Kevin from GnRCentral?

If so didn't you attend one of the Perkins gigs? Could you confirm my presumption about Adler.

7 hours ago, Propaganda said:

I don't get why these guys are making an Appetite Boxset, and don't include the complete demos.

Where's Sweet Child, You could be mine, ain't going down with vocals??... seriously don't get it. Were they afraid of putting a fifth cd on the box?!?

They look like amateurs...

why the hate?

why the negativity?

some people are never happy!

there was a lot of "hard work" for putting the TOYBOX together!

please stop complaining!

its always the same people!

appreciate what you got!

:rofl-lol:

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

why the hate?

why the negativity?

some people are never happy!

there was a lot of "hard work" for putting the TOYBOX together!

please stop complaining!

its always the same people!

appreciate what you got!

:rofl-lol:

I think that we are gettig tired, aside from New work tune n' the plague, NOTHING from that box was new. 
We want new songs. New material. 
Plus, if they're releasing all their demos, y not releasing Aint Going Down n' the AFD 99 it then?

Empty the vault, Axl.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

I think that we are gettig tired, aside from New work tune n' the plague, NOTHING from that box was new. 
Plus, if they're releasing all their demos, y not releasing Aint Going Down n' the AFD 99 it then?

Empty the vault, Axl.

i agree with you, the above post you quoted was ironic

i was "imitating" some posters in the forum

this boxset is absolutely pathetic as it basically is 90% toys and 10% music

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nasty Bronchitis said:

Marquee 1987:

• Audio: Soundboard recording exists, fact. 3 nights? Tracks from 28th were included on japanese ep.
  • Video: According to Slash it exists. Not Pro filming apparently.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/guns-n-roses-under-a-marquee-moon/

Thx to Scott Rheinberger for posting this on YT

Perkins Palace Pasadena 1987 ( Fred Coury on drums):

Listening to the december 30th audio bootleg Axl mentions before Patience he wants Steven onstage. Axl wants that moment on film, yep someone is filming. 

Apparently, (just speculating from pics and audio) what he wants to preserve is filming Adler playing percussion and doing backup vocals for the Patience outro. Out of tune btw :headbang:

Side note➡ Previous night (28th) Axl says before Patience Steven's gonna try....inaudible... for the first time.

@kevinb are you the same Kevin from GnRCentral?

If so didn't you attend one of the Perkins gigs? Could you confirm my presumption about Adler.

Yes, it's me Kevin from GNR Central.  I was at the first Perkins Palace show in 1987 but I can't remember Adler much.  I think he actually played one-handed on drums for Patience only at all 4 shows.  It was their LA homecoming shows and first LA shows since Appetite was released as I recall.  I pray it was recorded on video but I dont remember any cameras there.  I was also at all 4 Stones shows with GNR in 1989 and I'm very sad those shows were not professionally recorded...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kevinb said:

Yes, it's me Kevin from GNR Central.  I was at the first Perkins Palace show in 1987 but I can't remember Adler much.  I think he actually played one-handed on drums for Patience only at all 4 shows.  It was their LA homecoming shows and first LA shows since Appetite was released as I recall.  I pray it was recorded on video but I dont remember any cameras there.  I was also at all 4 Stones shows with GNR in 1989 and I'm very sad those shows were not professionally recorded...

Thanks for clearing it up.

Now i get why the 4 dates since it was their homecoming shows. My guess is someone from the crew, close to the band did an amateur filming on the 30th.

I hear ya Kevin, feel the same everytime i see the bootleg for the 1st night of the L.A Coliseum shows and watch the performance being projected on the big screen onstage.

24 minutes ago, Nasty Bronchitis said:

Thanks for clearing it up.

Now i get why the 4 dates since it was their homecoming shows. My guess is someone from the crew, close to the band did an amateur filming on the 30th.

I hear ya Kevin, feel the same everytime i see the bootleg for the 1st night of the L.A Coliseum shows and watch the performance being projected on the big screen onstage.

I almost jumped from the stadium balcony when Axl said he was quitting GNR at the Stones show 89.  He said there is "no such thing as Paradise City, ever, anywhere" and I started choking up.  The bootleg for the 4th show at Perkins Palace 87 (which has since been torn down) is a great soundboard recording and is so great it gives me the chills.  It's a very emotionally driven show and the guitar is amazing.  I actually think it's better than the Marquee shows because the soundboard is so clear from Perkins Palace, you feel like you're right there watching them.  By the way, I remember people pouring beer over my head from the balcony, that concert was wild and I was like 13 or 14 years old!  My first concert- 12/26/87.  Man, how I love GNR.  Should have gotten a GNR tattoo years ago... my best experience was Troubadour show 2016, front center.  I  almost had a heart attack when Axl and Slash walked up onto stage in that tiny club!   Wish we had more of that on video too!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

16 hours ago, kevinb said:

I almost jumped from the stadium balcony when Axl said he was quitting GNR at the Stones show 89.  He said there is "no such thing as Paradise City, ever, anywhere" and I started choking up.  The bootleg for the 4th show at Perkins Palace 87 (which has since been torn down) is a great soundboard recording and is so great it gives me the chills.  It's a very emotionally driven show and the guitar is amazing.  I actually think it's better than the Marquee shows because the soundboard is so clear from Perkins Palace, you feel like you're right there watching them.  By the way, I remember people pouring beer over my head from the balcony, that concert was wild and I was like 13 or 14 years old!  My first concert- 12/26/87.  Man, how I love GNR.  Should have gotten a GNR tattoo years ago... my best experience was Troubadour show 2016, front center.  I  almost had a heart attack when Axl and Slash walked up onto stage in that tiny club!   Wish we had more of that on video too!

Awesome experiencies of yours man. Hats off to you.

The environment of that 1st night at the L.A. Coliseum, was that heavy? If you reacted like that how you as a 15/16 year old perceived the audience after Axl threatened to call it quits. Do you recall the vibe inside the venue while the band was falling apart.

When Axl is giving his rant you can see Izzy trying to persuade him, a vain effort.

Here in South America they hit the bigtime around 1989, although i became aware of them in december 1988 for the first time.

Believe me, i would totally have gotten a tat around that time. But time changed my mind.

On 12/07/2018 at 10:46 PM, NeonKinight said:

Empty the vault, Axl.

YEAH but keep the AFD 99 to the solo era box :lol:

• Haha 1

On 13/07/2018 at 1:24 AM, kevinb said:

yes that pasadena recording is absolutely fabulous!

so you were there?

wow!

:headbang:

i dont know why but the guitars sound "bluesier" on that recording than on any other GNR bootleg recording. and that blues jam before nightrain is just amazing!

On 7/12/2018 at 12:38 AM, NeonKinight said:

The only thing i'd love to hear is YCBM 1985/86. wonder how it sounds

Since it has never leaked in any form, I don't think it was ever properly recorded or even demoed prior to 89/90. I think if it had been recorded at some point, given how big of a single it was, an earlier version would've leaked by now. It may have been written to some degree in 85/86, but not necessarily finished at the time or recorded.

Just now, Fashionista said:

Since it has never leaked in any form, I don't think it was ever properly recorded or even demoed prior to 89/90. I think if it had been recorded at some point, given how big of a single it was, an earlier version would've leaked by now. It may have been written to some degree in 85/86, but not necessarily finished at the time or recorded.

Dunno about the others, but in the brazillian AFD Vinyl, there was that famous part "with your bitch slappin' rappin'...." underneath the lyrics.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:04 PM, NeonKinight said:

Don't Cry - 1985 
Perfect Crime - 1986
You Could Be Mine - 1986/87
The Garden - 1987
Double Talkin' Jive - 1988 
Back Off Bitch - 1982
November Rain - 1983
Use Your Illusion I = Appetite For Destruction II. (Wich was the way axl intended it to be)

We have the West demos of The Garden from 85 or so with Axl on vocals. Wasn't DTJ written in 90 during the initial UYI recording sessions? Hence the whole "Found a head and an arm in the garbage can" lyric? Matt says he was there when the head and arm were found, so to me, that indicates Izzy wrote the song in 90....

NR was messed with on piano in 83 but that doesn't mean it was recorded at that time. Especially considering Axl didn't seem to have the song figured out until 86 or so and even then it wasn't finished. Like, he may have had cassette recordings in 83, 84 which he erased. Remember, Axl was OBSESSED with getting NR "right."

Back Off Bitch was written for Axl's first band, AXL...They may have only jammed the song and never properly recorded it in 82...I would think if it was recorded, Hollywood Rose would've played it and we would've gotten it with the Roots of GN'R release.

4 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

Dunno about the others, but in the brazillian AFD Vinyl, there was that famous part "with your bitch slappin' rappin'...." underneath the lyrics.

No, I know that, but what I think is the song may have only been partially written in 87. You know what I mean? Like maybe some of the lyrics, and some of the melody existed, but only in sketches, not enough to get down on tape.

Also, we still don't really know how GNR's recording process worked. We've never gotten unfiltered session tapes. Back in the 90s, a massive 12 CD set of junked Stones sessions for the Satanic Majesties album leaked, which gave an insight into how the band developed songs. They would do over 100 takes of a single song until it was right and spend twelve hour days on one song, for example, and in those sessions, Keith Richards was the musical director. We don't know how GN'R's sessions were in this regard, and what they did, or didn't commit to tape. By the UYI era Axl and Slash were writing songs over the phone and it's likely very little of that has survived.

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's strange that Back Off Bitch wasn't recorded by Hollywood Rose even though it is certain that it was performed live. Maybe it was recorded but the tapes were lost.

maybe they just didn't consider it "good enough" or didn't fit into HR style (all 5 tracks that ended up on The Roots release have kinda similar style, BOB is very different), or they consider it more like Paul's song and only played it live as a "cover originally co-written by Paul back in Lafayette" (funny!)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, zombux said:

maybe they just didn't consider it "good enough" or didn't fit into HR style (all 5 tracks that ended up on The Roots release have kinda similar style, BOB is very different), or they consider it more like Paul's song and only played it live as a "cover originally co-written by Paul back in Lafayette" (funny!)

Yes, it's possible that they thought it wasn't good/didn't fit.

SOYL was similar in regards to Paul Huge but more fitting into HR (probably it was reworked by Izzy).