If Slash had his way, how would SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL sound like?

16 minutes ago, estranged_85 said:

wasn't Tobias guitar just dubbed over Slash's parts? so i guess it would sound just the same but with Slash's touch/sound ofc. 

No, all Slash's parts are there. If you go to the solo, there is Slash's solo, and then there is an "answer" to Slash's solo, which is Paul's guitar. Slash's parts were neither erased or dubbed over. You can hear Paul's guitar parts in the song in your left headphone and Slash's parts in your right, which is the same mix as was on AFD with Izzy/Slash. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it was beyond tacky to cover SFTD anyway. There are just some songs you don't cover and Sympathy is one of em.

It's akin to a band like Avenged Sevenfold covering Welcome To The Jungle... pointless, uninspired and never going to beat the original, so why bother?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I think it was beyond tacky to cover SFTD anyway. There are just some songs you don't cover and Sympathy is one of em.

It's akin to a band like Avenged Sevenfold covering Welcome To The Jungle... pointless, uninspired and never going to beat the original, so why bother?

I like Avenged Sevenfold, but like you said, sadly they are great at making covers that are pointless, uninspired and that'll never beat the original...

Edited by youngswedishvinyl

3 hours ago, Fashionista said:

No, all Slash's parts are there. If you go to the solo, there is Slash's solo, and then there is an "answer" to Slash's solo, which is Paul's guitar. Slash's parts were neither erased or dubbed over. You can hear Paul's guitar parts in the song in your left headphone and Slash's parts in your right, which is the same mix as was on AFD with Izzy/Slash. 

I just heard the song again, and I can't really tell what's Tobias parts. It's amazing like all these years I haven't been able to identify them. Do you have a time frame, from where it starts till it ends?

9 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

I just heard the song again, and I can't really tell what's Tobias parts. It's amazing like all these years I haven't been able to identify them. Do you have a time frame, from where it starts till it ends?

All Paul's guitars are on the left channel, rhythm and lead.

14 hours ago, Towelie said:

For anyone who wants to know why: 

Richards and Taylor’s solos are fucking brilliant. Superior to the studio version for me by a long long shot. 

Slash said Ya-Yas was a live album he listened to along with Aerosmith’s. He also has mentioned Mick Taylor as an influence on him. I’m sure he played it differently for a reason, a reverence for what can’t be improved on. 

As much as I love Guns, and saw them at their peak, but maybe not their best in 92 (still have the bootleg shirt I bought outside the venue) the Stones win every time for me.... 

Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers & Exile on Main Street is a great run of brilliant albums, they were also killer live from 69-73. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:

For anyone who wants to know why: 

Richards and Taylor’s solos are fucking brilliant. Superior to the studio version for me by a long long shot. 

Slash said Ya-Yas was a live album he listened to along with Aerosmith’s. He also has mentioned Mick Taylor as an influence on him. I’m sure he played it differently for a reason, a reverence for what can’t be improved on. 

As much as I love Guns, and saw them at their peak, but maybe not their best in 92 (still have the bootleg shirt I bought outside the venue) the Stones win every time for me.... 

Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers & Exile on Main Street is a great run of brilliant albums, they were also killer live from 69-73. 

Aftermath to Let it Bleed. 

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I was under the impression that Paul Tobias is only on the solo, because Slash had recorded both lead and rhythm parts.

Both Slash and Paul play lead and rhythm parts throughout the song, the way Izzy and Slash did on Appetite. Left channel is Paul, right is Slash, throughout the whole song. Both guitars are mixed equally loud and it is easy to tell their styles apart; Paul has a chopper style than Slash's.

bad cover imo. they nailed for example live and let die but on spag incident and here the vibe of the tunes was lost. also, what axl did was wrong you just don't add a guitar player like that but on the other hand, it didn't ruin anything i think. like len said it's hard to cover the stones. the original is perfect.

We show up at the studio... who shows up? Matt, Duff and I. That was it. Paul Huge came in with Axl a couple of days later. While we were doing it (recording the song), we had to write down how many bars each section was, because without vocals you don't know where the next change is going to come. But we got it done and the guitar solos on and everything, and then Axl went in to do vocals... and the next thing you know, there's this "answer" guitar going on during my guitar solo! It's Paul Huge! I will probably never forgive Axl for that. But we talked about it. We made a deal that if Paul ever plays on anything, then I should at least be told first, because it really took me off guard. I wasn't there when he did it. Axl likes the song. I haven't listened to it since it was mixed. It's not like it was lousy guitar playing or anything; I think it's how it went down. If people like it, then fine. I haven't gone to see the movie again again because I don't think I could bear it. [Slash, Kerrang, 1995]

easily one of the best cover songs they have done. would love to hear the original Slash version before Axl asked him to change it. its most probably just instrumental though as Axl didn't record the vocals until after Slash redone his guitar part. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

We show up at the studio... who shows up? Matt, Duff and I. That was it. Paul Huge came in with Axl a couple of days later. While we were doing it (recording the song), we had to write down how many bars each section was, because without vocals you don't know where the next change is going to come. But we got it done and the guitar solos on and everything, and then Axl went in to do vocals... and the next thing you know, there's this "answer" guitar going on during my guitar solo! It's Paul Huge! I will probably never forgive Axl for that. But we talked about it. We made a deal that if Paul ever plays on anything, then I should at least be told first, because it really took me off guard. I wasn't there when he did it. Axl likes the song. I haven't listened to it since it was mixed. It's not like it was lousy guitar playing or anything; I think it's how it went down. If people like it, then fine. I haven't gone to see the movie again again because I don't think I could bear it. [Slash, Kerrang, 1995]

I feel sorry for slash, he had to accept  the lineup changing  all axls decisions of course. I could tell by this interview if slash couldnt work with him then he would leave. Considering the last movie soundtrack they did was YCBM  and with the illusions lineup, the movie being a hit and i would say the camaraderie being strong, it was never going to work with huge. I would also like to know how the fuck does it take 3 days to do 1 song?.

Keith Richards is one ic slashd idols which axl told slash to sound like for like with keith  version which made axl and slashs relationship not lasting the distance by this as stage.

Edited by Sydney Fan