Who is America?

The final is very weak, despite a few laughs.

I don't buy that Sasha didn't think the Sarah Palin thing was good enough to be aired. I just assume that they either failed (which seems unlikely given the publicity) or they were afraid to get sued.

All in all, this show might have made a good film with only the strong material and everything else as a DVD extra.

A "who is Britain" would have been fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

"who is Britain" would have been fun.

Not enough people would fall for it, they’d smell him a mile off, Englands a lot smaller place, its difficult to find corners of England where any amount of disguise is good enough to mask Sascha.  Also it’d be harder to lure people into saying as much fucked up shit.

Edited by Len Cnut

41 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Not enough people would fall for it, 

42% of the country voted for the Tories at the last election. Budget Trump Johnson or a condescending super cunt millionaire from the 16th Century is likely to be our next PM. Nevermind the DUP, a party that believes that regulation of Ouija boards, the Irish, gays and ethnics are the biggest challenge the country faces.

So yeah, there's plenty of fuckin' loonies.

Edited by AtariLegend

3 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

42% of the country voted for the Tories at the last election. Budget Trump Johnson or a condescending super cunt millionaire from the 16th Century is likely to be our next PM. Nevermind the DUP, a party that believes that regulation of Ouija boards, the Irish, gays and ethnics are the biggest challenge the country faces.

So yeah, there's plenty of fuckin' loonies.

I meant cuz they’d clock him, we’re alright on the thick cunts front, we’ve got enough of them to paper the walls with.

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

He already did his British character in Grimsby that movie. Didn’t he get headbutted in a chip shop before the movie came out? 

Probably one of the best movies in the last decade too. 

I thought that was just a film and not one of his reality based thingies where he goes and fucks with real people, thats why I never bothered watching it.

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I thought that was just a film and not one of his reality based thingies where he goes and fucks with real people, thats why I never bothered watching it.

Not in the movie but he was hanging around on the streets in character getting into trouble. I think he got punched though or something. I’ll google it. This is important. 

• Haha 1

Overall I think it was funny enough.  Certainly better than The Dictator and the Liam Gallagher one, which didn't really interest me.  Something of a return to form.  Look, its sort of a one trick pony thing and has been for a while, its just that one trick has a great deal of scope.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The first Ali G (the UK show) was amazing. It was novel, the character was brilliant, and it just worked so well. Borat was pretty fun, too, although the character was a bit annoying. As Borat he made people go further, where Ali G would just be dismissed as a moron, people made a larger effort to accommodate Borat because, well, he was a foreigner and they want to be polite. So he often got a better response as Borat. That Austrian gay character was less fun because he was simply so annoying, although the clip where he talks to skinheads is hilarious.

I have to say, Sascha Baron Cohen is an amazing comedian. You might not like his brans of humor, or how he ridicules people, but the extent he is willing to go to make the sketches, his ability to change character, his improvisational skills, and intelligence, is remarkable. 

54 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The first Ali G (the UK show) was amazing. It was novel, the character was brilliant, and it just worked so well. Borat was pretty fun, too, although the character was a bit annoying. As Borat he made people go further, where Ali G would just be dismissed as a moron, people made a larger effort to accommodate Borat because, well, he was a foreigner and they want to be polite. So he often got a better response as Borat. That Austrian gay character was less fun because he was simply so annoying, although the clip where he talks to skinheads is hilarious.

I have to say, Sascha Baron Cohen is an amazing comedian. You might not like his brans of humor, or how he ridicules people, but the extent he is willing to go to make the sketches, his ability to change character, his improvisational skills, and intelligence, is remarkable. 

Ali G was great, for a while, Borat was routinely brilliant, Bruno too, the Ron Paul thing along to me etches Bruno into the annals of comedy history indelibly for me.  The Dictator thing was a bit naff, as was the Liam Gallagher thing but this one was good.  In comedy, as in the music industry, if you can make two massive hits in a row (comedy shows in comedy, albums in music) then you're basically etched in history on some level.  With comedy more so.  If Ricky Gervais had stopped after The Office and Extras he would still be a British comedy great and Sascha is like that too, for what he's done, on the level that he's done it, with perhaps the broadest appeal I've seen in British comedy, which at times has been accused of being slightly provincial, you can't do nothing but take your hat off to him.

There were accusations early doors of him being a rich Oxbridge educated white man taking the piss out if minorities/the working classes but I think thats a load of rubbish really.  I think his comedy is brilliant overall, if the function of satire is to hold a mirror up to society even just as functioning satire this last series has been pretty mindblowing.  I mean imagine if he had come out with this instead of Ali G and his introduction to the world had been basically him making politicians to all this mental shit and getting them fired, he'd be looked at like Banksy is looked at now, like some kind of counter culture genius.  I think he might've struggled to get it on the telly.  I mean he was doing it in a low key way in Ali G but in this its pretty crazy.  I mean actual politicians have quit their posts over this shit.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

My biggest problem is that Da Ali G show set such a high bar.

There were some truly unforgettable and side-splitting moments of awkward silence and misunderstandings from his guests. Like when he went door to door campaigning with the conservative senator in the south as Borat and asked the man who opened his door "please to make shit in your house?"

You can't touch that kind of thing, that kind of tense reaction real people give when they're totally flabbergasted. On this America program, it was dumb people playing along with whatever Sascha threw at them. There was almost nothing the guests found strange or objectionable, they just went along with whatever crazy scenario or cockamamie theory he thew at them. I kept waiting for people to say "you are absurd, you can't be for real."

That's why I found almost nothing on this show funny. It was even boring through most of it.