Appetite for Distortion Ep. 74 - "Leaker's Revenge"

Sorry about what happened here- but if you swim in dark pools- don’t be surprised if you run into dark pool sharks...

Just stick to legal/officially released material- and put the $2K in your reserve fund. Life has a way of throwing curveballs...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, donny said:

large grey area. back in the mid to late 90's i could and did buy a lot of GNR stuff while on holiday around the mediterranean islands. there seemed to be no law just rules, the rules where if the band has released that music then buying unofficial copies was ripping them off. unreleased bootlegs however was a different matter. VHS tapes and CDs of unreleased stuff where sold openly. looking at saskatoon and other "new" dvds i have saw photos of on twitter makes me think japan works in the same way today. 

Legal aside, is it right?  This belongs to the artist and just because we want it should we take it?  Aren't we the the ones creating a black market by buying?  It's kind of like blaming the victim for the crime if you say it's okay because GNR won't release it.  I mean it's theirs, shouldn't they have the control over when and if they put it out there?

And I know people think it's a compliment and helpful for them to create music videos but what if someone messed with your creation?  It no longer is out there the way you wanted it.  

There's a difference in being a fan, supporting the band and injection ourselves into their creations, presentations and distribution of that art.

Having said that, hey GNR isn't time you put out some new fucking music?  Yeah I think that's bitching but it's meant to be supportive and encouraging. :headbang:

• GNFNR 1

On 7/17/2018 at 9:28 AM, RussTCB said:

I get what you're saying but my point is there ARE solutions out there. Damn near anything would be a great alternative to over priced boxed sets and ridiculous airline tie ins :lol:

From my experience of watching how GN'R is run, it's clear that no one seems to care about working out any details for something that might actually benefit the fans. 

They have done ALOT for fans. Everyone seems to forget about the shoutout they gave the fans at the end of Get In The Ring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm consistently amazed by Evader's talent but how anyone listened to his version and thought it was the real deal is pretty mind boggling to me. And I certainly don't mean that as a slight against him, as his potential is inhibited by the logistics of using the Rock Band stems and a terrible version to go off of. So I don't mean any disrespect at all, I'm a huge fan. But after listening to the podcast (big fan!!), I was bumfuzzled at how anyone could ever confuse this as being a legit version???

• Like 2

3 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

-Russ's rant was badass, and applies to a lot of GN'R's marketing tactics. That being said, the reality of the situation remains much more complicated than "just release music." Ron used to make those same complaints, and it was just as complicated then. Most record contracts say that the label has the final say on whether or not to release material. A lot of contracts have a "right of first refusal," meaning that if the label passes, the band can go elsewhere to release music, including releasing it themselves, but considering the fact that Guns haven't released any CD2 stuff, I'm guessing they did not have such a clause. This means that, until Universal decides to release new music, anything leftover gets stuck in limbo. If the band did what Russ or anyone else suggested, and just released, the band would be sued into oblivion. Per "Lawrence," Axl wanted to release new music in 2010, and the label said no. They only wanted music that involved Slash and Duff. Bear in mind, that was 2010 when the idea of Slash, Duff, and Axl reuniting seemed impossible. Now that we actually have a reunion, the label would probably only be interested in new music they record from 2016 onwards, so it could be marketed as a "reunion album" (a "reunion" of Axl/Duff/Slash anyway). I doubt Universal has ANY interest in Chinese Democracy leftovers with Duff and Slash adding parts. As far as Universal is concerned, Chinese Democracy was a weird, costly mistake, and they somehow managed to release the album AND recoup their money: against all odds. In their eyes, that saga ended, and they have no desire to reopen it. I genuinely believe the only chance of new music we would ever have would be new material recorded by Slash, Duff, and Axl (or, alternatively, pull a Van Halen and have Axl, Slash, and Duff make new recordings of older songs that haven't appeared on albums yet), and I get the impression they want to avoid the studio to keep things peaceful for touring. If we EVER hear anything else from 1996-2010, it will be leaked. 

-I do think more stuff exists. Keep in mind, these songs probably exist on CD-Rs and audio files sitting around in random engineers houses and hard drives; folks who really don't care about GN'R that much and do not realize what they have. We'll see more stuff, even if it is not anytime soon. 

Thank you for the compliment :) I *do* know that it's more complicated than "just putting stuff out there", though. What I'm saying is that there ARE avenues to pursue outside of what they've done. Axl, or whomever is around him, just seems to have zero interest in looking into it. 

There's just so many better ways to make Guns N' Roses a viable brand that could release successful new music, but they're not interested in that. They want to take the super easy route which isn't a surprise for a lot of reasons.

• Like 4

There's gotta be a reason for Axl not having the desire to put new stuff out. I thought that would be over with Slash and Duff's return, but apparently it's a thing to continue...

There's gotta be some level of demand and pressure from the label for an Axl, Slash, Duff album, so I'm starting to think this is more like AXL VS Label than anything else.

Maybe the label isn't giving any money to Axl on future releases because of all the money spent in the Chinese Democracy era, and Axl refuses to put albums out because of that. I dunno! There's gotta be something of that kind. There's no explanation, and I'm past the "lazy" justification...

It's seems like this is a "stand up for yourself" kind of thing from Axl, it's an Axl thing to do anyways. I might be wrong, but try to convince me that the Label hasn't at least talk about a new album, now that Slash is back. I would call you crazy! :blink:

I have no doubts that leaks are a product of no releases from the band. Not saying it's right, but the band isn't doing anything to avoid it either... 

Edited by Propaganda

3 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I doubt Universal has ANY interest in Chinese Democracy leftovers with Duff and Slash adding parts.

I mean, they don't have to market it as Chinese Leftovers. They could just release the album, promote it as featuring Slash and Duff, and the general public would be none the wiser as to the origin of the songs.

• GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Just got finished listening...some random thoughts...

-Host needs to stop interjecting as much. Admittedly, there are times where this can be a good thing, but a lot of the interruptions here really interrupt the flow or even cut off Rick when he sounds like he's about to say something really cool.

It’s called guiding the conversation. If you don’t periodically interject, the interviewee can go on too long. And the need to balance between 2 guests.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Amir said:

I mean, they don't have to market it as Chinese Leftovers. They could just release the album, promote it as featuring Slash and Duff, and the general public would be none the wiser as to the origin of the songs.

There's also the fact that maybe Slash and Duff don't want asshats like DJ Ashba or Pitman to profit and get songwriting credits on a comeback GNR album. The only way I see them doing an album is if they wrote songs as a band effort with maybe some songs written soley by Axl in the mix like they did in UYI

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

It’s called guiding the conversation. If you don’t periodically interject, the interviewee can go on too long. And the need to balance between 2 guests.

I apologize if my post came across as bitchy, as you seem a bit defensive. I love your show, and was only offering constructive criticism. I've seen this complaint mentioned in threads for other shows. I completely understand the need to guide the conversation, but there are times where the guest (in this case Rick) was literally in the middle of telling a story and you cut him off to make a random point. Like I said; just a minor nitpick. I still listen to every episode! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Thank you for the compliment :) I *do* know that it's more complicated than "just putting stuff out there", though. What I'm saying is that there ARE avenues to pursue outside of what they've done. Axl, or whomever is around him, just seems to have zero interest in looking into it. 

There's just so many better ways to make Guns N' Roses a viable brand that could release successful new music, but they're not interested in that. They want to take the super easy route which isn't a surprise for a lot of reasons.

I certainly did not mean to oversimplify your rant, and I definitely agree that Guns N' Roses miss a LOT of opportunities to maximize their brand. That being said, even doing the things you suggested (posting pro-shot videos or audio online) would likely involve some sort of label involvement. Axl burned a LOT of bridges in the music industry from 1997-2008, and I've been told Universal really wants no more involvement with GN'R in terms of recorded output. They just see it as too big of a headache. That being said, hopefully the previous two event-free years works towards rehabilitating Axl's image with the industry. 

When do you think we might hear your theory? I'm very intrigued. Despite all my points, I certainly agree with you that Axl could be more proactive in trying to at least get the train rolling on the release of new music. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs

15 hours ago, Amir said:

You're right, they could try to downplay this aspect as much as possible, but it would be impossible to hide the fact that these songs were from a different era of the band. Beyond the fact that they would sound very different from songs Axl/Duff/Slash would create together, I'm sure every publication would mention that these were songs recorded in the 2000s with Duff and Slash pasted over them.