17/7/1993 - a quarter of a century ago

4 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

By the time they got to Europe the next year in May '93, shows were often dropping under 2 hours, there was ZERO excitement and/or setlist changes/surprises, the welcome change of the acoustic set had become boring and repetitious, dragging on for up to 45 minutes. :shrugs:

I was at one of those European shows, and after watching on video some of the NA Skin N' Bones shows (like Hartford and, recently, Saskatoon), I agree.

I think an additional factor was the type of venue. The acoustic set with the couch didn't work well in stadiums, it was made for smaller venues, like the arenas in NA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I was at one of those European shows, and after watching on video some of the NA Skin N' Bones shows (like Hartford and, recently, Saskatoon), I agree.

I think an additional factor was the type of venue. The acoustic set with the couch didn't work well in stadiums, it was made for smaller venues, like the arenas in NA.

It's embarrassing how promising the Skin N' Bones tour looked at the outset ... :facepalm:

Look at this :

02.23.93 - Frank Erwin Center, Austin, TX
set: Welcome To The Jungle, Garden Of Eden, It's So Easy, Attitude, Double Talkin' Jive, The Garden, Live And Let Die, So Fine, You Ain't The First, You're Crazy, Used To Love Her, Patience, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Piano Solo, November Rain, Dead Horse, Drum Solo, You Could Be Mine, Guitar Solo, Guitar / Piano Jam, Sweet Child O' Mine
encore: Nice Boys, Paradise City

and then, on the European leg of the SAME tour, we get this :

07.11.93 - Werchter Festival Ground, Werchter, Belgium
set: It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Welcome To The Jungle, Attitude, Double Talkin' Jive, Dead Flowers, You Ain't The First, You're Crazy, Used To Love Her, Patience [w/ Imagine], Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Dust In The Wind [Intro] / November Rain, Dead Horse, Drum Solo, You Could Be Mine, Guitar Solo, Sweet Child O' Mine
encore: Mother [Intro] / Paradise City

I agree with the factor of 'venue type' : as soon as they moved from indoors (NA) to outdoors (Europe), they dropped 'The Garden', never to return.  Maybe they thought it wouldn't work in daytime, with the psychedelic lights and all.  They also dropped all the other 'deep cuts', often only playing none, or just one of them.  The only songs (in comparison to the Werchter setlist above) to make a sporadic appearance in Europe were : 'Yesterdays', 'Estranged', 'Nightrain', 'Nice Boys', 'So Fine' (once !) and 'Don't Cry'.

The exception was the show in Guadalajara on April 21st, where they played 'The Garden' outdoors.  Maybe it was played in Monterrey both nights as well, but there's no known setlists for those.

Another factor I would like to consider is the return of Izzy for the first 5 shows in Europe.  Is it possible that they skipped the more 'exotic' songs from the NA tour like 'The Garden' or even 'So Fine' or 'Yesterdays', because Izzy didn't remember how to play them ?   Look at the bare bones setlists of those five shows :

05.24.93 - Olympic Stadium, Athens, Greece
set: Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, It's So Easy, Live And Let Die, Attitude, Welcome To The Jungle, Double Talkin' Jive, You Ain't The First, You're Crazy, Used To Love Her, Patience [w/ Imagine], Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Piano Solo, November Rain, Dead Horse, Drum Solo, You Could Be Mine, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme, Since I Don't Have You [Intro] / Sweet Child O' Mine, Mother [Intro] / Paradise City

Is it possible Izzy just couldn't be bothered to delve to deep into the catalogue, and they just kept the songs he was most familiar with ?  When he left again, they stayed with the bare bones setlists till the end of the tour, with a sporadic exception here and there, as mentioned above.  I think there was a quote somewhere in interviews of the time, that Izzy couldn't be bothered with rehearsing for these shows ?  I'm gonna leave finding the interview quote to you guys, you have proven to be very good at that ! ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Waemoth said:

To quote the sticker on my UYI II: "This album contains language which some listeners may find objectionable. They can F?!* OFF and buy something from the New Age section."

:)

I never found the “new age section” in any record store....

where the fuck was the fucking new age section. 

Edited by Powderfinger

11 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

What a lame show to end a mammoth, one-for-the-ages, 2+1/2 year world tour with ... :facepalm:

The UYI started off on a high in mid '91, and peaked in late '91, early '92 with those epic 2+1/2 to 3 hour shows, goofy costumes, erratic behaviour, and most importantly -> CRAZY setlists, stuffed with goodies, 'deep' UYI cuts like 'Perfect Crime', 'Pretty Tied Up', '14 Years', 'Estranged' etc ... rotated in and out, mixed up with blasts from the past like 'Rocket Queen', 'Move To The City', 'My Michelle'  ... At any given time you could even be surprised with 'Locomotive', 'Coma', 'Breakdown', ...

Then they took off for Europe and the shows never recovered ... they developed a kind of standard 2 hour set, with little to no changes/surprises ...

By the time they got to Europe the next year in May '93, shows were often dropping under 2 hours, there was ZERO excitement and/or setlist changes/surprises, the welcome change of the acoustic set had become boring and repetitious, dragging on for up to 45 minutes. :shrugs:

I actually understand that pretty much - just look at them. they were absolutely wasted. especially Duff was totally drunk almost all of the time, Slash was high and Axl mostly out of his mind. no wonder they couldn't do shows as they did back in 1991. 

as Izzy said - when he joined them in 1993, they were so wasted that they didn't even recognize him - no wonder he pulled out of that as fast as he could. weird shit. 

yeah, I totally agree that mid 91 was the top of the top, and Gilby era went very quickly underwater (no hard feelings against Gilby himself, it wasn't even remotely his fault)

• Like 1

I always used to laugh at that picture of Duff in Robert John's book where he hasn't even bothered to, or can't,  fasten his zip and his big belly is protruding. Picture the scene, ''fuck, it won't fasten. I know. I'll wear it proudly as a sort of 'punk rawk' statement''. Or maybe he simply said, ''I'm big, sassy and proud''. 

47 minutes ago, NeonKinight said:

lemme get this straight for once and for all : Use your illusion Tour Ended in early '93, and/or was renamed "Skin N' Bones Tour" in 93? And y they've chosen this name among others?

skin n bones tour meaning back to basics, no horn section, no tracey and roberta and no Axl costume changes. They needed to recoup the money they made during the illusions leg as most of the money got wasted on after-parties and fines for being late.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, fanfzero said:

And still not oficially released...

Don't know what's the quality of the master telefe tapes (I guess worse than mtv broadcasts), but if they recorded it in a decent way, quality should be similar to this.

Just imagine Argentina 93 with that quality

Kurt Loder- dude was great.  Great memories......  Nice post- thanks.

4 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Kinda off-topic, but I just came across this video from 1993 in HD quality. It amazed me, it looks like it was shot yesterday. Now... imagine a 1993 GNR concert in this quality :o

I'd love to see an 80's video with this quality...

• Like 1

On 19/07/2018 at 1:13 AM, Powderfinger said:

I never found the “new age section” in any record store....

where the fuck was the fucking new age section. 

Lol there used to be a new age section probably during the early 90s that used to have artists such as enya and have meditation type music.

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Lol there used to be a new age section probably during the early 90s that used to have artists such as enya and have meditation type music.

So that’s what enyas shite tunes were,  new age... thanks for that.

My local music shop had a few racks and everything stuffed alphabetically. No new Age section, it was just the music section. 🤣

Save a whale, save a whale, save a whale.

On 17/07/2018 at 5:17 PM, t-p-d-a said:

Give me the fuckin Blu Ray from fuckin Argentina 1993, last fuckin concert and the fuckin Blu Ray from fuckin Troubadour 2016.. I want fuckin History at my fuckin Home on my fuckin TV who can ultra fuckin HD.

gime a fuckin cheap DVD with the fuckin pro shot footage and fucking SDB audio of fucking wembley 1991, last fuckin GNR concert, I want to watch the last fuckin show of that fuckin glorious band at my fuckin home on my fuckin TV

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

gime a fuckin cheap DVD with the fuckin pro shot footage and fucking SDB audio of fucking wembley 1991, last fuckin GNR concert, I want to watch the last fuckin show of that fuckin glorious band at my fuckin home on my fuckin TV

Give me fucking any fucking pro-shot from fucking Izzy days of fucking gnr fucking greatness! 

• Haha 1

On 20/7/2018 at 6:33 AM, GNRfanMILO said:

Kinda off-topic, but I just came across this video from 1993 in HD quality. It amazed me, it looks like it was shot yesterday. Now... imagine a 1993 GNR concert in this quality :o

1993 GNR shows were shot on tape, so Tokyo 92 quality is the highest we'll ever get. That NY footage was shot on a rare HD vhs format that wasn't very common. Pantages theater 91 was apparently shot on film, so there's still hope.

On 20/7/2018 at 6:38 AM, NeonKinight said:

I'd love to see an 80's video with this quality...

It's so easy video would have that quality if grain was cleaned. Look at those 80s and 90s blu-ray films, they look great

Edited by fanfzero

I love both of the Argentina shows, I really like the Skin and Bones tour as well. The Hartford show is maybe my favorite ‘93 show. 

Ill be honest, the UYI band seems like a different band from 87 strictly for the change in sound with the rhythm section. A lot less bluesy, especially after 91 with Izzy gone. Look at the changes in Bad Obsession with and without Gilby. ‘93 GN’R seems the most metal and heaviest version of the band.

8 hours ago, fanfzero said:

1993 GNR shows were shot on tape, so Tokyo 92 quality is the highest we'll ever get. That NY footage was shot on a rare HD vhs format that wasn't very common. Pantages theater 91 was apparently shot on film, so there's still hope.

It's so easy video would have that quality if grain was cleaned. Look at those 80s and 90s blu-ray films, they look great

I meant street life in the 80's