Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

These two singles have not set my world on fire (drum roll please). Just very run of the mill riffs. The riff for the first single was decent, and the solo for the 2nd single was quite good at the time (but I can't remember it.. so!).

Let's see what the albums like before giving the final verdict, I know that I was far more excited for the WOF record by this time, so things are a little worrying. It might be early to say it, but I think taking all that time away from the group, and experiencing all that success again with GNR, has kinda dulled Slash's creative energy for SMKTC - I could me speaking too soon though, and I'm sure the album will provide at least one or two good/great songs.

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It might be early to say it, but I think taking all that time away from the group, and experiencing all that success again with GNR, has kinda dulled Slash's creative energy for SMKTC - 

Wasn't it all written before the reunion? It doesn't sound like Slash's has dulled his creative energy to me.. I just listened to MYM again and when I focus on the riffs and band I am impressed.  It is pretty balls to the wall.. Can't help to think what Axl would sound like over it ;)  I have tolerated Myles through all this but I always thought from the beginning that he should have picked Stockdale. 

The hate for Myles on this site used to baffle me. But then I read comments in an online Alter Bridge article by Alter Bridge fans that blasted Axl for his "trashy arena rock vocal style" all while praising Myles and then it hit me: most fans are just biased towards what they like most. And they hate on most everything else. Music fans are a lot like sports fans in that regard.

While Axl is my all-time favorite rock vocalist, I like Myles Kennedy too. Would I rather hear Slash and Axl on a new GN'R album. Absolutely. But sans that, I'm good with SMKTC. And I'm looking forward to the new album. Although I know it will take a long while for the entire album to grow on me -- as per the norm with me. I will say that I believe Myles sounds best when he sings in lower registers and especially on slower, ballad type songs. He's a talented cat regardless. Great guitarists too, which a lot of people don't realize. Prior to 2010, I had zero idea who he was. I've learned a lot about him in recent years and I've grown to like Alter Bridge as a result.

To each their own, I guess. I know there are people out there that hate Freddie Mercury's voice so anything is possible.

Some people didn't like Rod Jackson's voice on ALG but I did. Eric Dover was the only one I didn't really care for.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MattleyCrue said:

I’ve played Mind Your Manners 100 plus times since midnight! Absolutely love it! Can not wait til 9/21!

Where?

Cause I went to Slash's official website and clicked the link to listen to the new song and it goes to youtube and tells me that it's copyright protected in my country (USA).

Can someone tell me why music Slash is linking to and promoting on his own site is not available due to copyright protection???

I don't get it.

**UPDATE** I found the song via Spotify on my Sonos system and have listened to it --- but I'm still baffled by the youtube WMG blackout.

Edited by thunderram

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

The hate for Myles on this site used to baffle me. But then I read comments in an online Alter Bridge article by Alter Bridge fans that blasted Axl for his "trashy arena rock vocal style" all while praising Myles and then it hit me: most fans are just biased towards what they like most. And they hate on most everything else. Music fans are a lot like sports fans in that regard.

While Axl is my all-time favorite rock vocalist, I like Myles Kennedy too. Would I rather hear Slash and Axl on a new GN'R album. Absolutely. But sans that, I'm good with SMKTC. And I'm looking forward to the new album. Although I know it will take a long while for the entire album to grow on me -- as per the norm with me. I will say that I believe Myles sounds best when he sings in lower registers and especially on slower, ballad type songs. He's a talented cat regardless. Great guitarists too, which a lot of people don't realize. Prior to 2010, I had zero idea who he was. I've learned a lot about him in recent years and I've grown to like Alter Bridge as a result.

To each their own, I guess. I know there are people out there that hate Freddie Mercury's voice so anything is possible.

Some people didn't like Rod Jackson's voice on ALG but I did. Eric Dover was the only one I didn't really care for.

I don't think that's true. I like a lot of singers. But Myles is just pure crap. Boring generic voice with no character. It's a shame slash is wasting his talents and good years with a useless singer like that.

Edited by RageKage
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Wasn't it all written before the reunion? It doesn't sound like Slash's has dulled his creative energy to me.. I just listened to MYM again and when I focus on the riffs and band I am impressed.  It is pretty balls to the wall.. Can't help to think what Axl would sound like over it ;)  I have tolerated Myles through all this but I always thought from the beginning that he should have picked Stockdale. 

In the recent RS and Forbes interviews Slash revealed that they'd written some new tracks since regrouping to finish off the album. MYM is one of them. I think these sessions were in January.

It almost sounds like the phrase 'mind your manners' could've been inspired by the awkward feelings Slash had being in the room together after the band had been in limbo.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebaltin/2018/08/14/slash-opens-up-on-guns-n-roses-his-new-album-and-the-fame-monster/#7b742480664f

Baltin: I also spoke with Myles [Kennedy, Conspirators singer] a few months ago about his album. And I’m sure one of the cool things when you went to make this album is you both bring new things to the table.

Slash: For us musicians, you’re always reaching for something. But when I got into the studio with these guys, I missed them and I had a little bit of guilt for having put them in a situation where I took off for a tour that had seemingly no end in sight and left it all hanging cause we had started working on new tunes and they were cool and we were about to go into another cycle. I wrote a bunch of new songs, so there was a song on the record called “Mind Your Manners,” which I wrote, the first thing we played when we got back in the room cause that’s always so awkward. “What do we play first? Do we just jam or what do we do?” We jammed that and that became a song, so that was cool. But some of the material was old, from 2015, and that made me feel like I was going backwards in a way. Normally what happens is there’s a certain shelf life and then you move on. So that made me go, “The songs are really good, so I want to do them.” But, in a sense, I felt it was going the other direction.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:42 AM, Tom-Ass said:

It's definitely balls to wall type music, but when I heard it, I just thought it was uninspired basic chords and riffs (like if you just picked up a guitar and played the first thing that you thought of and recorded it). I actually thought Myles lifted things a bit, especially his harmonies in the choruses

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

Prefer MYM to DR. It's a pretty cool rock song. 

Hope the album is stronger though. 

The frustrating thing is, the band are really tight and kick ass. Sometimes you just need that frontman that's a bit fucked up to make good music. 

Slash can play great guitar but songwriting is not his skill. Myles doesn't have much to say as a singer. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

I was trying to Imagine how It could be with Axl on vocals..

Same here. Even if I try not  to do it, if Slash is playing and someone is singing, I always compare them to Axl (when his voice was working properly).

Personal tastes may vary, but still... calling Myles crap or a bad singer is unfair IMO. I think he is a good singer, I don't find anything "wrong" with his voice.

But the fire is missing, and the "It" factor. This is even more clear when I watch him perform, I see a nice guy with a good voice performing songs, not a rocker/rock star. This makes me question myself, if I stopped doing the comparison, maybe I would appreciate him more than I do now? I don't know if anyone else here has the same problem...

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Same here. Even if I try not  to do it, if Slash is playing and someone is singing, I always compare them to Axl (when his voice was working properly).

Personal tastes may vary, but still... calling Miles crap or a bad singer is unfair IMO. I think he is a good singer, I don't find anything "wrong" with his voice.

But the fire is missing, and the "It" factor. This is even more clear when I watch him perform, I see a nice guy with a good voice performing songs, not a rocker/rock star. This makes me question myself, if I stopped doing the comparison, maybe I would appreciate him more than I do now? 

"It" factor is an important thing. Axl and Scott had it, whatever it is. That's why Guns and VR were successful. Slash's solo album was interesting as the songs were different genre's etc. 

I never enjoyed Snakepit at all though. I did love SMKC but I'm kinda getting to a point were the songs are sounding the same. 

I don't see much "hate" for Myles here, I would would say most of us view him as as a super nice guy who can sing very well, it's more like...how many same sounding, safe albums does one need/want. It's fucking Slash, he should team up with singers like Axl, Scott, Danzig, etc. Does anybody really get excited about ANOTHER album with Myles after this one?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

The amount of negativity in this thread makes me sick.

You would think we're still living in 1980 when great hard rock was part of the mainstream, and classic albums were seemingly being released every week.  In this day and age I'm more than happy to get hard rock as well-written and performed as SMKC.  I guess I'm just not that picky.  I really can't afford to be picky in an era where one has to dig pretty deep to find good hard rock. Negativity is a problem everywhere though, not just on forums like this.  I wish that wasn't true.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, thunderram said:

Not really. I get it that Myles has EXTREME control over his voice and can do wonders with something a little more minimalist like acoustics or pop rock but Rock N' Roll isnt only about soft and sweet flowers, we need the dirty and ugly too which Myles cant really deliver.

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

Tried playing Mind Your Manners on YouTube, and this is what I got

Video unavailable
This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

The whole shit storm with Guns & copyright hasn't blown over to Slash's solo material has it?