Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

8 hours ago, thunderram said:

Where?

Cause I went to Slash's official website and clicked the link to listen to the new song and it goes to youtube and tells me that it's copyright protected in my country (USA).

Can someone tell me why music Slash is linking to and promoting on his own site is not available due to copyright protection???

I don't get it.

**UPDATE** I found the song via Spotify on my Sonos system and have listened to it --- but I'm still baffled by the youtube WMG blackout.

Same thing happened to me

3 hours ago, default_ said:

Not really. I get it that Myles has EXTREME control over his voice and can do wonders with something a little more minimalist like acoustics or pop rock but Rock N' Roll isnt only about soft and sweet flowers, we need the dirty and ugly too which Myles cant really deliver.

Please go listen to the "Pop rock song" by Alter bridge Isolation or ties that bind (Blackbird would be another one as well) and then tell me his voice isn't suited for hard rock

Edited by The Dissident

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Once again, people are mistaking a difference of opinion for "negativity".

I haven't even bothered to listen to either single yet, but that's because I just don't like Myles voice. 

Some people like his voice, some don't. It doesn't make anyone negative per se. It just means they have a different opinion than you. 

This. I would LOVE to be blown away by a new Slash CD, Myles or whoever singing. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

This is even more clear when I watch him perform, I see a nice guy with a good voice performing songs, not a rocker/rock star. This makes me question myself, if I stopped doing the comparison, maybe I would appreciate him more than I do now? I don't know if anyone else here has the same problem...

Maybe Slash doesn't necessarily want a rock star personality kind of guy, since he's the star of the show. Plus guys like that usually tend to cause problems later on (like Scott).

Myles and Slash can write some great songs (e.g. Anastasia and Wicked Stone).

Not too impressed with this new stuff though, sounds like b-sides from world on fire.

I'm hoping that these guys aren't going down the route that velvet Revolver did with their second album, i.e. contribute weaker songs to the band effort and keep strong songs for their own solo stuff.

Myles can write some really good rock songs, strong beats and melody, like Suckerpunch from his first album:

20 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Listened to it earlier.. The music is great.. LOVE the guitars but Myles ultimately just makes it sound boring.. He just makes them all sound the same. I have bought every Snakepit, VR and Slash album the day it came out but not rushing to buy this one.. I thought AL was good and loved WOF but I am just kind of done with Myles.. He was never the highlight of the music anyway..

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

I mean, the songs are rocking. It's pretty heavy music and then there's Myles with all those Whoooooous and Whoooooas. I hope there are at least one or two songs on that record which have longer instrumental parts like Anastasia or Wicked Stone

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

I have seen SMKC 3 times and Alterbridge 2 times, the man delivers !!! Never been dissepointed by Myles, if you expect him to be Axl.... then you wil be !!! But he is simply not Axl, and i think Axl now, would like that he had the range Myles has now. It would be a lot easyer for him to sing on this tour !! Axl sounds like a whiney cat on a lot of songs these days, so you would think, that Myles would get some likes over here...........

wel i like him, come on Conspirators !!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ralphelmo said:

...or accept the fact that Myles is 49 years old... 

Holy fucking shit! Myles is 49?! I had absolutely no idea. I don't know why but I just think of him as a young dude. Maybe he's frozen in time in my head as the guy in the Rockstar movie lol 

33 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Holy fucking shit! Myles is 49?! I had absolutely no idea. I don't know why but I just think of him as a young dude. Maybe he's frozen in time in my head as the guy in the Rockstar movie lol 

Todd is 50, Brent is 48. The only young guy there is Frank (29).

I really don’t like the combination of Myles’ high pitched nasal vocals, with Todd’s even higher pitched vocal harmonies. It just sounds bad to my ears. 

Myles’ higher pitch works in Alter Bridge because Mark Tremonti sings lower key harmonies with him instead. 

But the Myles/Todd combo just ends up ruining whatever cool might be going on underneath by Slash. 

I find it comes across as really 80’s sounding vocals, and not in a good way. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I really don’t like the combination of Myles’ high pitched nasal vocals, with Todd’s even higher pitched vocal harmonies. It just sounds bad to my ears. 

Myles’ higher pitch works in Alter Bridge because Mark Tremonti sings lower key harmonies with him instead. 

But the Myles/Todd combo just ends up ruining whatever cool might be going on underneath by Slash. 

I find it comes across as really 80’s sounding vocals, and not in a good way. 

Would prefer andrew stockdale.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Maybe Slash doesn't necessarily want a rock star personality kind of guy, since he's the star of the show. Plus guys like that usually tend to cause problems later on (like Scott).

That makes sense in this case, Slash wants to be the star of the band, that's understandable. But the other point about causing problems got me wondering...

Does being a charismatic performer or singer  mean that you have to automatically be a "difficult" personality or drug addict ?  Nice boys don't play rock n' roll?

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fourteenbeers said:

That makes sense in this case, Slash wants to be the star of the band, that's understandable. But the other point about causing problems got me wondering...

Does being a charismatic performer or singer  mean that you have automatically be a "difficult" personality or drug addict ?  Nice boys don't play rock n' roll?

Not by default but a lot of them end up that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

He's a mess. See any of the videos from 2010 when he guested with Slash. 

Well ive seen the craig furgeson tv show one plus some other videos in Aus during that time and doesnt sound to bad to me. Unless there are some youtube vids that may show a different story?.

Edited by Sydney Fan

7 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Would prefer andrew stockdale.

Don't think he has the range to sing all of Slash's stuff. He can definitely sing high, but I haven't heard him singing in a low 'It's so easy' style voice.

To me, I prefer Myles's voice, over Stockdales. I was immediately drawn to starlight and Back from Cali, when I heard that first record. I don't always like Myles choice of vocal arrangement on every song, but mostly I think he does a good solid job. Obviously, when you compare the attitude of Axl vs Myles, Myles comes off looking like a librarian, but as a singer he really is great and very consistent; even if he doesn't have much edge.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Well ive seen the craig furgeson tv show one plus some other videos in Aus during that time and doesnt sound to bad to me. Unless there are some youtube vids that may show a different story?.

In those two during Slash's solo, what the hell is he doing? I guarantee you that he's not sober there and I don't think Slash would want anyone like that on tour in his solo band. And in the second video he's a bit pitchy. 

37 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Don't think he has the range to sing all of Slash's stuff. He can definitely sing high, but I haven't heard him singing in a low 'It's so easy' style voice.

To me, I prefer Myles's voice, over Stockdales. I was immediately drawn to starlight and Back from Cali, when I heard that first record. I don't always like Myles choice of vocal arrangement on every song, but mostly I think he does a good solid job. Obviously, when you compare the attitude of Axl vs Myles, Myles comes off looking like a librarian, but as a singer he really is great and very consistent; even if he doesn't have much edge.

I've never seen a Myles video (SMKC at least) where he didn't sound good. Even when he was sick or whatever and they had Todd do an extended bit of singing lead (doctor alibi etc) he still sounded great. Can't say the same about a certain other singer. Incredible range, very consistent and complements Slash's riffs and melodies very well. Yeah he doesn't rasp or have an edge, well not every singer needs to sound like that. He brings his own personality to the songs and I respect that. Every song from Slash's catalog that they've done he's been able to hit the notes and sound good, and that's why he asked him to come along on tour. Anyone who would prefer that he sounds like Axl or Eric Dover, well go listen to Axl or Eric then. 

I'm just sick of hearing the same people that complain about Axl sounding like Mickey and being out of breath and off tempo or key come here and complain about Myles and how he sings. Which one do you want?! What would you rather hear? Mickey with some rasp and edge thrown in there occasionally or someone who's always consistent and in tune? If you're not into the SMKC tunes for whatever reason then I don't see why you all come here to complain about it. I personally prefer to engage in threads and topics that I'm interested in, not ones that I'm going to go into just to troll and complain.

Anyways, here's two Myles videos that I really like that show off his voice and range.

• GNFNR 1

On 8/17/2018 at 5:05 PM, Ralphelmo said:

It remindes me of 'Hard & Fast' from Apocalyptic Love. Especially chorus. I expected such songs therefore I'm not dissapointed, can't wait to play it in my car during a trip around some mountains :P Bridge is great *pow!* and Slash freakin' ZZ Toppin' during the solo, haha :D

PERFECT REVIEW 

Come on, some guys make it sound like you have to choose between Myles or Axl as if they are the only two singers on this planet. :D

Slash could team up with so many more interesting singers than Myles, doesn't have to be someone well known. But he doesn't want to leave his comfort zone, which is understandable but results in these boring albums with boring Myles.

I just hope he's doing a differnet kind of project next if there is  nothing going on with Guns.

• Like 2