Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

Call Of The Wild is miles ahead of the other 3 singles, but My Antidote is also better than Mind Your Manners and Driving Rain. Those 2 are just straight up garbage IMO. Generic crap. COTW and TA atleast sound a bit different.

One good song and one meh song out of four is not enough for me, atleast for now I’m not buying it. But I hope I’m proven wrong when it comes out.

Will definitely give it a listen on Spotify.

EDIT: i also agree on what the others say about Slash constantly releasing music. It’s better than nothing I guess.

Edited by GNRfanMILO

33 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I give Slash a ton of credit for consitently releasing new material, even if it isnt all stellar. I would much rather Axl have this problem, too. Unfortunatly this is shaping up to be an underwhelming album. Can't place my finger on quite what seems off. 

It's not even just Slash. All big bands / musicians go through a purple patch were they release great music. In most cases, they can never live up to that. 

The baton is passed to a new younger, hungrier band to set a new trend. 

You can't retire in your 30s though. You can still play your classic songs and release new stuff. 

48 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Completely disagree. That's how you end up like GNR, constantly touring the same songs for 20 years. Over analyzing and thinkering with music that was finished years ago. 

Musicians should always look to release music. Not all of it will be grade A material, but at least youll have a lot of good songs. 

You or even I might not enjoy these songs, but millions of people probably will... And that's better than doing nothing.

Considering Myles is one of the best rock singers today, he should at least be able to come up with original melodies. It comes off as lazy when you re-use melodies.

Also, every musician overanalyzes their work. It comes with the territory. I can guarantee that a few of the songs on this next record are probably different from their original form. 

I love the guitar work on Antidote. That's what I'm expecting from Slash. Unfortunately he doesn't impressed me much on the other 3 songs so far and Myles lacks any element of surprise on this record. There is so much potential but he sounds just the same on every song. I need more rawness, much more rnr but the choruses are just meh.

I really don't want to be the one bitching all the time but it's the first record that sounds like the last one and that's mostly because of Myles imo.

I hope the bluesier songs and that acoustic one are going to sound a bit different.  :shrugs:

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

I love the first 35 seconds of it but the rest does not excite me like the last album did. That's not to say it's bad. Part's of it remind me of YCBM and Wicked Stone.. I know it's bound to happen when you're a guitarist some songs may sound similar because of the tuning or the guitarists style but these aren't connecting with me which is a shame considering how much I adore the last album. I'll probably pick it up for the vinyl and hardcover if the rest of the album is tight. singles aren't always the best. 1:18 - 1:58 and 1:56 - 2:01 I don't like at all main vocals wise. Like the music and background vocals though.

I do think some of it sounds uninspired, not to call them lazy but sometimes experimenting just a little bit can do a lot. I'll support it though just my 69 cents.

Edited by MrMojo

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I give Slash a ton of credit for consitently releasing new material, even if it isnt all stellar. I would much rather Axl have this problem, too. Unfortunatly this is shaping up to be an underwhelming album. Can't place my finger on quite what seems off. 

I think the melodies are a bit flat. I think they probably didn't have time to practice and really work on the songs given Slash's and Myles's schedules

Each song they release is better than the last one. My Antidote is my favorite of the three so far. The intro reminds me of Disturbed (When I first listened to it I thought I was listening to a new release from their upcoming album by accident). There are parts that remind me of the singing style of Wicked Stone (great song and it works here). The feel of the song also reminds me a bit of 30 years to life.

• Like 3

It's strange. Only 3 days until release and no sign of a leak. If my memory is correct, Apocalyptic love and World on fire both leaked like a week or more before release. Still will obviously buy Living the dream as I love all Slash material but always like a sneaky listen to before release ;)

18 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

It's not even just Slash. All big bands / musicians go through a purple patch were they release great music. In most cases, they can never live up to that. 

The baton is passed to a new younger, hungrier band to set a new trend. 

You can't retire in your 30s though. You can still play your classic songs and release new stuff. 

In terrms of passing the baton what other bands or artists are there that could or are setting that trend?.

19 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

agree 100%

on the other hand, i can easily point my finger

1 - songs -- ate least the ones i was able to listen so far, and more exactly the parts of songs that I was able to listen so far before i had to hit the pause button (thanks miles!) -- appear to be bland and generic and poorly written/structured. there is no salvation when this happens. i wonder if slash could use a bit of the zillions that he made on the guns n aliens tour to hire a song doctor? ozzy does it. kiss does it. aerosmith has done at least three fantastic albums with a whole lot of help from song doctors. of course everyone who uses song doctors always come up with truly annoying stuff at times -- too much formulaic and too sugary and too poppy. But at least they always come with some listenable and enjoyable music as well. it looks like everyone in the business who can't write a complete functional song do it -- except for slash! (and axl!). The funniest stuff about this is that slash knows the best songwriter in the business but he clearly has no intentions of ever working again with izzy stradlin

2 - miles delivery is the usual: absolutely awful. i wonder if slash has some earwax accumulation on his ear? is it possible that slash has so much earwax that he is not listening to the same thing that we are? is it possible that slash actually enjoys this nonsense miles singing?

3 - production seems to be really "plastic/non-organic" and "safe" -- worse than any other slash album to date. this one is the first he did on pro tools so that maybe has something to do with it?

4 - miles voice is the usual unlistenable garbage. how is it that slash, the conspirators and a lot of people in this planet -- like alter bridge fans and stuff -- are able to cope with miles kennedy voice is absolutely beyond me!

5 - drumming is particularly boring on this one. Brent sounds good enough playing other people's parts (yes i mean steven adler parts) but he is showing here that he ain't good AT ALL when it comes to creating his own stuff

6 - miles lyrics are cringeworthy as usual

7 - riffs (the ones i was able to listen to before i had to hit the pause button because miles voice annoyed the shit out of me) appears to be mostly subpar

8 - did i mention miles kennedy?

• Haha 1

Heard 4 songs.

More of the same, generic garbage. Looks like most of it was down to Myles while slash was on tour as it's more alterbridge like.

Slash's album in 2010 is by far his best. Songs thought out and tailored to certain artists, each song had a different style.

Anastasia is the only song worth repeated listening.

• Like 2

The songs I've heard sound pretty uninspired. The kind of riffs and progressions Slash can do in his sleep, Myles's melodies are similarly tired and repetitive and derivative of previous songs they've done together. In the end it's going to sound exactly like what it was: Some rough ideas that didn't have time to be fully fleshed out before Slash went on a 2 year world tour with Guns and was recorded when he had some free time.

• Like 1

KILLER ALBUM so far - I love the musicans  in this band , EVERYONE IS EXPECTING A GNR SOUND - this  is  SMKC , MY Andidote is killer , Myles melodys  are what this band does, I dont like them but I can understand where they are coming from , But MYLES CAN SING HIS ASS OFF - and for whoever said BRENT COULDN'T DRUM his own PARTS !! ARE U TONE FUCKING DEAF ? Dumbest statement made so far about this band , NEW GNR COMING SOON 2019 !!

I have said for a few months the songs the band brings out first arent the best ones - Driving Rain  decent but listenable - Mind Your matters a lot better , My Andidote the best so far -ripping guitar riffs and a melting solo , best from SLASH IN A WHILE , Guess what the best is yet to come , I have been saying this all alone , if this is the worst  of the album wait till u hear the rest , it only gets better, and for the 1, 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 time , yes I got very Lucky to hear the whole album a while back , call it luck , working in the radio business, right place , right time , who knows but I still LOVE THIS RECORD , oNLY SONG I havent heard is BOBH --SLASH shreds all over this mofo