Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

None of them have consistently managed that since the 90s though. 

Axl spends too long thinkering, over analyzing, copying and pasting layers, feeling a need to have to evolve. Also won't do any PR. 

Izzy can write the bare bones of a good rock song but doesn't have a band that can turn it into a classic, finished song. Also won't tour or do PR. 

Slash can play great guitar and do all the PR but isn't able to translate that into great songs. 

Probably why they made a good team and had less success individually

i see your point, its a good one.

i would say i agree 100% with you but i have some doubts

axl - does axl really spends time "thinkering, over analyzing, copying and pasting layers"? i dont think he does. I don't think axl spends time writing music AT ALL. i think that for the last 28 years he was probably doing whatever else 90% of the time -- like watching TV or drinking all day or laying on the sofa or whatever, except working on music. i would go on and say that he likely spent 90-95% of the 13 years he took to do his solo album doing nothing, just procrastinating.

axl again - does axl really feels "a need to have to evolve"? There is some evidence -- if you believe in Zakk Wylde, for example -- that Axl was obsessed in being "current", "modern", etc, to the point that he was envying pearl jam (!) and limp bizkit (!!) in the mid-90s (:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:). that has nothing to do with desire to evolve musically. that has everything to do with the desire to look good. which is understandable (we all wanna be admired, don't we) but pretty pathetic, isn't it?

Izzy can write good rock songs rock songs and some fucking great ones and he has a good enough band to make them sound very nice. But, yeah, i see your point, of course he doesn't have a guitar player like slash and his singing doesn't have the drama-quality that Axl singing has (used to have?), which would automatically improve all of his songs and eventually turn a lot of them into classics.

agree 100% with what you said about slash: can play great guitar but isn't able to translate that into great songs.

all that leads me to the conclusion that these guys should #1) be together in a band again,like, for example, GNR could reunite, couldnt it?

• Like 2

@Gibbo is dead on about Eric Dover... That video of him doing SCOM was just last year.  The fucker still sounds great.  He wrote great lyrics, he was different.  I would argue outside of Axl, Dover was his most talented front man.  Back in 1995 Geffen pulled them from the road.  Now in 2018 Slash says Dover wasn't comfortable.  Looks comfortable now!! Look at him sing Weiland!  NOTHING GENERIC ABOUT THIS GUY!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

i see your point, its a good one.

i would say i agree 100% with you but i have some doubts

axl - does axl really spends time "thinkering, over analyzing, copying and pasting layers"? i dont think he does. I don't think axl spends time writing music AT ALL. i think that for the last 28 years he was probably doing whatever else 90% of the time -- like watching TV or drinking all day or laying on the sofa or whatever, except working on music. i would go on and say that he likely spent 90-95% of the 13 years he took to do his solo album doing nothing, just procrastinating.

axl again - does axl really feels "a need to have to evolve"? There is some evidence -- if you believe in Zakk Wylde, for example -- that Axl was obsessed in being "current", "modern", etc, to the point that he was envying pearl jam (!) and limp bizkit (!!) in the mid-90s (:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:). that has nothing to do with desire to evolve musically. that has everything to do with the desire to look good. which is understandable (we all wanna be admired, don't we) but pretty pathetic, isn't it?

Izzy can write good rock songs rock songs and some fucking great ones and he has a good enough band to make them sound very nice. But, yeah, i see your point, of course he doesn't have a guitar player like slash and his singing doesn't have the drama-quality that Axl singing has (used to have?), which would automatically improve all of his songs and eventually turn a lot of them into classics.

agree 100% with what you said about slash: can play great guitar but isn't able to translate that into great songs.

all that leads me to the conclusion that these guys should #1) be together in a band again,like, for example, GNR could reunite, couldnt it?

One thing.

I remember once somebody said something about Izzy on this forum. I think it was that Izzy doesn't like to go on tour.

You told him by telling such half truths he would arise rumours.

Imo you're doing the same now. It's nothing more than your opinion that Izzy writes great songs as well as it's your opinion that Slash can't write great songs.

To a lot of people, me included, there are at least one or two great songs on each Slash album post Guns. At least. 

While I just heard one or two complete Izzy songs post guns. All the rest were half-baked imo. 

So pretending such things to be a fact is nothing else as spreading rumours.

Edited by Free Bird

37 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

One thing.

I remember once somebody said something about Izzy on this forum. I think it was that Izzy doesn't like to go on tour.

You told him by telling such half truths he would arise rumours.

Imo you're doing the same now. It's nothing more than your opinion that Izzy writes great songs as well as it's your opinion that Slash can't write great songs.

To a lot of people, me included, there are at least one or two great songs on each Slash album post Guns. At least. 

While I just heard one or two complete Izzy songs post guns. All the rest were half-baked imo. 

So pretending such things to be a fact is nothing else as spreading rumours.

thats just my opinion i am not saying by any means those are facts i know that a lot of people find izzy stuff boring etc

that has nothing to do with the constant endless repetition of "izzy wont tour" "izzy cant play" "steven cant play" bullshit

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, skik08 said:

The Great Pretender sounds alright

Sugar Cane followed by utterly brilliant The Great Pretender, as I start to feel more than a little bipolar.  This track is truly dazzling in every way possible and every note played to perfection by the perfect performer.  Again, one wonders if anyone but The Conspirators could possibly have brought such raw emotion bleeding to the fore from every pore.  The solos…oh god, the solos.

41973979_469565526874083_2938502991973449728_n.png

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

I say this fully intending to buy a physical copy in a few days, but has this really not leaked yet?! That's insane in this day and age. 

Slash must have a small and tight nit recording crew in the studio.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Very cool review , I guess myself and a few on this board love the new album , because I do , but most of the haters on here don't and that's cool too, as a lifelong SLASH fan  -I am a happy MOFO because SLASH slays on this record  , riffs and solos like no other JUST LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES -SLASH is a the top of his game right now-HEY AXL? WHERE THE FUCK U AT? Because SLASH is ready to create the best GNR ALBUM POSSIBLE, STEP AND LETS GET THIS DON E

PS

I play guitar  in a band and have for a long time , making a record is very hard, so all of you critics bashing MYLES , how many records have u cats made ? do u cats even play a instrument ? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Slash must have a small and tight nit recording crew in the studio.

THE ALORE OF GNR - I love it , just like no one knew anything about what GNR were doing during the tour and who knows they may have a record in the can , SMKC has no leaks at all in this time and age -fucking brilliant -I love that 

1 hour ago, TMAC20 said:

Very cool review , I guess myself and a few on this board love the new album , because I do , but most of the haters on here don't and that's cool too, as a lifelong SLASH fan  -I am a happy MOFO because SLASH slays on this record  , riffs and solos like no other JUST LIKE HE ALWAYS DOES -SLASH is a the top of his game right now-HEY AXL? WHERE THE FUCK U AT? Because SLASH is ready to create the best GNR ALBUM POSSIBLE, STEP AND LETS GET THIS DON E

PS

I play guitar  in a band and have for a long time , making a record is very hard, so all of you critics bashing MYLES , how many records have u cats made ? do u cats even play a instrument ? 

WTF? What “haters” are you talking about? So to you, anybody that says that 2 of the 3 singles are generic crap are “haters”? And also just because you don’t play an instrument that doesn’t mean you can’t know about music or if a song sucks or not.

Your logic (and also your posts) are pathetic. You are just the typical person who thinks that criticizing something makes you a hater. You make me laugh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TMAC20 said:

Do you watch movies and not say it's shit if it's shit because you aren't a movie director that made movies? Same retarded logic

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

To be honest reception on the Alter Bridge forums isn't that great either:lol:

AB doesn't get a great reception there either. Just go through that topic about orchestra show dvd, people write essays about how it sucks cause it's not mixed like they wanted to (they're aren't saying it's bad)