Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

6 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

The singles are more like WoF. The rest of the shorter tracks are a bit more "punchy" or "popy" and less sleazy hard rock like WoF. I guess most Slash solo material can be considered pop rock, but I get 2010 vibes on songs like Sugar Cane, The One You Loved is Gone, Read Between the Lines, Slow Grind, and Boulevard of Broken Hearts. The riffs and leads are less GNResque. Put a different singer on each one, and it'd remind me of the 2010 record. 

Guess I'll have to wait and see :shrugs:

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

The singles are more like WoF. The rest of the shorter tracks are a bit more "punchy" or "popy" and less sleazy hard rock like WoF. I guess most Slash solo material can be considered pop rock, but I get 2010 vibes on songs like Sugar Cane, The One You Loved is Gone, Read Between the Lines, Slow Grind, and Boulevard of Broken Hearts. The riffs and leads are less GNResque. Put a different singer on each one, and it'd remind me of the 2010 record. 

That is almost exactly how I feel about this record. Especially the part you said about the different singers. I really liked WOF but this is a different feel. A good feel but a different feel just not what I was expecting. I like it though

7 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Serve You Right is fucking badass! So far, it seems like the singles didn’t help with the promotion. Will post a full review when I’m done listening to the whole thing.

Yeah, when they said 80s Aerosmith rnr I thought they'll make songs like that one

1 minute ago, WAR41 said:

Did anyone else in the US just get an email from Roadrunner saying that at VIP package they purchased was backordered?

Yep. I was wondering if that means they just don't have it yet and are still going to send it or if that means sorry but we're not ever fucking sending it. I am pissed. I just sent them that question worded a little differently lol

6 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Serve You Right is fucking badass! So far, it seems like the singles didn’t help with the promotion. Will post a full review when I’m done listening to the whole thing.

That's my biggest fear right now. Serve You Right seems to be one of the better songs and I like the verses but that chorus fucks it up for me. At least the live version but I don't think it will sound different on record.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

That's my biggest fear right now. Serve You Right seems to be one of the better songs and I like the verses but that chorus fucks it up for me. At least the live version but I don't think it will sound different on record.

They really shouldn't even have choruses if they can't write more than 4 different ones for the album :lol: I mean The Great Pretender doesn't really have one, they could do something like that more often. I always imagine Liam Gallagher's Wall of Glass as an example, chorus is "waaaall of glaaasss" and a little riff and it sounds pretty good. You don't have to go for arena rock anthem thing every time when you clearly can't 

Edited by Nicklord
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tourettes2400 said:

Now they are doing this but can't send out the pre-orders? Fuck them. Oh and look as I am typing they just charged my card.

Dude they did the exact same thing to me with the credit card!!  Unreal.  

I did enter the contest though, thanks for sharing.  

4 hours ago, moreblack said:

True, but if AB is what they're all about, this is definitely not that. 

I do wish Myles had someone like Todd to harmonize with in AB.

No fuckin way! Mark Tremonti sings great lower key harmonies with Myles. Todd with Myles sounds like Mickey Mouse harmonising with Minnie Mouse...

Just now, Gibson_Guy87 said:

The One You Loved Is Gone really hit me hard. The lyrics pretty much describe my love life of the past 6 months

I feel like that one would have meant a lot more to me if it was on WoF :lol:

Also keep your chin up!

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Thanks 1

i really like it despite the poor singles choice, the best was yet to come, it's clear that they have a formula or their own style if you prefer, but they're good at it...it's a really strong album that i was into on the first listen...

slow grind has a really cool snakepit vibe

great pretender reminds me of messages from VR, nice solo...

lost inside the girl another great with a slash really inspired from the riffs to the solos..

overall it's a very strong album, with less fillers than WOF....

• Like 1

On first listen:

The Call of the Wild - Decent track, pretty much what I expect a SMKC album-opener to be. Not much replay value though.
Serve You Right - I feel like I've heard a faster version of this song before, but I can't place it. Wtf is it? Slash sounds great on this one but the melodies are boring.
My Antidote - Easily the best single, and one of the best songs on the album too. Kind of a "standard" SMKC-song overall but the riff is awesome and Slash's solo on this one stands out.
Mind Your Manners - Generic SMKC rocker. meh. :shrugs:
Lost Inside the Girl - This song makes me want a GNR album. Axl could've really done something with it, and Duff and Richard would've been interesting. I've never been a Myles fan, and this is another song he brings down. It reminds me of GNR the same way Fall To Pieces does - "what if?"
Read Between the Lines - One of the better songs on the album, I don't care for the chorus at all but I like the intro/verses/solo. The chorus tho. :facepalm:
Slow Grind - My least favourite song on the album. Same Old Song Story-line indeed.
The One You Loved Is Gone - Definitely one of the best on the album, but the 'la la la' bit almost ruins it for me. It adds nothing but cheese, and disrupts a great solo. It's a great song up till then... at least it's near the end. I imagine this is what other people feel like when listening to Chinese Democracy - "why did they add that!?"
Driving Rain - One of the weakest. Boring melodies, again. I like the guitar parts though.
Sugar Cane - Better than Mind Your Manners and Driving Rain but it's in the same league. Slash and the band sound great, Myles is actually alright, but the lyrics kill this one for me.
The Great Pretender - Another song that sounds familiar. It's alright, the reviews I read before listening made it seem like this song was gonna be a lot better than it is. The solo's are cool but other than that the song is kinda boring honestly.
Boulevard of Broken Hearts - Not bad and not great. It's the kind of song I expect on a SMKC album.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Thanks 1