Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

Melodically there is alot of Don't Cry in The Great Pretender. So much so it made me want to listen to Don't Cry because it's the real deal.

I like the album. I think there are some solid tracks and I've booked to see them in London, but Myles...I just don't get on well with his voice. It's beyond me how Slash thinks he's the best fit for his sound. 

Edited by prettytiedup88
  • Like 1

Never been a fan of Myles.  Very generic writing and singing (singing style can actually be very annoying, as you all know), but wish he would apply his writing capability from Year of the Tiger to his work with Slash.

While not a fan of him, I very much liked Year of the Tiger.  Maybe it's because musically it was a more inspired, and therefore Myles' writing and singing were more inspired.  In the case of Slash, maybe the saying "crap in, crap out" applies.  

I think everything Slash has touched lately is not very inspired.  Everything from his riffs, arrangements, and yes, even solos.  Everything is just so boring.  Hoping the competition between Axl and Slash and both trying to prove something to each other will give us some truly good music (if it ever even happens).

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Alright. But mark my words. Serve You Right from 3:40 on till end is definitely worth a listen

Just listened.. Great Groove.. cool solo.

Went back again and specifically listened from 3:40 on after seeing this.. Cool jam.. A little reminiscent of "Good to Be Alive".   It would have been a lot cooler to me if it was just a jam without Myles singing over it.  Pretty much how I felt about the rest of the song.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

I'm not trying to pick on anyone but i don't know why anyone is still expecting to be blown away about SMKC.

They have never been a special band. They make solid radio rock thats more on the heavy side.

I dunno.. I thought AL has some good stuff and was definitely blown away by Anastasia.  WOF was the only thing I listened to fr quite awhile when it came out.. This one is a different story so far.. I'll give it a few spins though. 

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

It's strange that Slash likes Myles' singing so much, actually. 

When you look at his former singers, you would asume he prefers guys that have some swagger,  have charisma and can do some rock n' roll screaming.

This album would be cool with the guy from Monster Truck singing, for example.  But no, it's Myles. Again.

Or the guy from Hillbilly Herald. That dide has swagger and sings with balls. I think him and Slash would compliment each other really good. 

Oh my god this record is heartbreaking... I love every album Slash has ever done or been on but this is album is such a waste of his riffs and solos.. I am on "Read Between The Lines" right now.  Can't place exactly what other song Myles is making it sound very similar too but they all blend together.  

Slow Grind just started and the exact same fucking thing.. 

23 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I dunno.. I thought AL has some good stuff and was definitely blown away by Anastasia.  WOF was the only thing I listened to fr quite awhile when it came out.. This one is a different story so far.. I'll give it a few spins though. 

Fair enough.

Am i the only one that thinks AL is a crappy album? sure Anastasia is great, but i found Myles to be extra annoying on that album (esp on One Last Thrill).

Edited by -W.A.R-

20 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just listened.. Great Groove.. cool solo.

Went back again and specifically listened from 3:40 on after seeing this.. Cool jam.. A little reminiscent of "Good to Be Alive".   It would have been a lot cooler to me if it was just a jam without Myles singing over it.  Pretty much how I felt about the rest of the song.

I know where you coming from and while I feel the same way on its chorus I even like the outro how it is. I think it fits. It's the case with Locomotive too I suppose. A lot of people don't like Axl singing "Love's so strange" but I love it. I think it fits.

21 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

AL has some good stuff and was definitely blown away by Anastasia.  WOF was the only thing I listened to for quite awhile when it came out.

World On Fire is Slash's best work since Ain't Life Grand for me.

I've only listened to Living The Dream once. I'll listen to it a few more times before I critique it.

8 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Fair enough.

Am i the only one that thinks AL is a crappy album? sure Anastasia is great, but i found Myles to be extra annoying on that album (esp on One Last Thrill).

One Last Thrill is Myle's most annoying song of all time!!! I haven't listened to it in awhile but thought Standing In The Sun, No More Heroes, We will Roam, Not For Me and Bad Rain were all good.  One of my friends thought Myles was extra annoying on AL as well but found him more bearable on WOF.  My cousin and a buddy from work were both big fans of AL.. Neither of of them like this new record.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

One Last Thrill is Myle's most annoying song of all time!!! I haven't listened to it in awhile but thought Standing In The Sun, No More Heroes, We will Roam, Not For Me and Bad Rain were all good.  One of my friends thought Myles was extra annoying on AL as well but found him more bearable on WOF.  My cousin and a buddy from work were both big fans of AL.. Neither of of them like this new record.

One Last Thrill doesn't work at all. I like Myles but he just cant pull that off. That's an Axl song lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

The Great Pretender is the best song on the album. Fight Me.

Classic Rock Magazine said that's one of the best songs Slash has ever done. I've only listened to it twice but I don't hear it.

It reminds me of that Gary Moore song Still Got The Blues.

Does anybody else think that the latter part of The One You Love Is Gone sounds like Battleground?

8 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Classic Rock Magazine said that's one of the best songs Slash has ever done. I've only listened to it twice but I don't hear it.

It reminds me of that Gary Moore song Still Got The Blues.

Does anybody else think that the latter part of The One You Love Is Gone sounds like Battleground?

It takes a few listens. And the latter part is lifted from Battleground. The main verse melody is the same as the 'la la la' part.