Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

I really like Serve You Right... I like the length too I’m glad they didn’t stop at 3 and a half mins. Slash hardly ever grooves anymore gimme that hip thrusting shit. 

Thats about it though! Haha... ahhh man. 

Edited by Ant

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

My Antidote  - does have the ycbm vibe everyone was talking about. the lyrics are kinda cheesy but Slash's beastly solo here is good to here. I really like this tune, even if the chorus is myles somewhat recycling the wicked stone melody, I want him to tap into that vibe more but not out right copy it. strong tune.r 

Mind your manners - silly song title imo but it's a nice and fast tune POW! fun Slash solo.

Lost Inside The Girl - good in a more pop emo direction vocal melody but I like it. nice and melodic Slash solo, good to have new ones like this to listen to.

Read Between The lines - very cool tune, so far one of my favorites, cool riff, feels like myles came up with a more thought out vocal lines, good stuff. great guitar work by Slash and Frank.

Slow Grind - enjoyable track for me. I like the vibe of the song Slash's solo especially. 

The one you loved -  too sweet for me. my least favorite track so far, but I love Slash's simple yet effective solo so not true suckage. really great second Slash solo, a lot of feel here.

Drivng Rain - really good riff, very catchy chorus even if I don't like it. Slash's solo here is not bad, pretty cool parts of it I enjoy. on second thought I'm starting to like the chorus. I guess this song is a grower

Sugar Cane - cool snappy Slash riff, not really into what Myles is doing here. cool almost country like Slash solo some paradise city licks. nice.

The great pretender - I like the gary moore note choices in the riff and the chords as well. song kinda slow, not crazy about the vocal melodies. but I love Slash's solos in this song. Seems almost like a homage for Gary. good stuff.

Boulevard of broken hearts - eye of the tiger! cool tune, I like the vibe and a cool melody by myles in the chorus. a great Slash solo, well constructed. I love Slash's guitar outro here.

my final thoughts on living the dream is it's got the usual cool stuff I expect from Slash, a more unified and concise album, the things I Didn't like about Myles are still present but it doesn't bother me anymore, I focus on the tune, and the instrumental anyway.

cool album, even if it doesn't reach for the moon, Slash and the band deliver a strong release imo.

Kudos to do a review while being super stoned  im lucky to be able to pick up a phone let alone text and put thoughts together.

5 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

Roadrunner emailed me today and said that the backorder email for the autograph was an accident lol. Then this came, made my fucking day. This book really is cool. I probably would have kept it, even if they didn't send the autograph. If this was something GN'R put out it would be $700. I don't think I will ever use the Slash picks, but they are better than the temporary tattoos in the  Locked and Loaded set :lol: Oh and I still like WOF better.20180921_164618.jpg.8d31a8190d409c343716ef91a9b4e8fe.jpg

20180921_165123.jpg

20180921_165102.jpg

20180921_165045.jpg

20180921_165026.jpg

20180921_165007.jpg

AHHHHH FUCK!!!  You just ruined my surprise!  😒I scrolled through all your pics, and could not look away.  I live in the Carolina's so obviously UPS is having shipping issues.  Based on tracking I should get mine tomorrow though.  Waiting to listen to album then as well instead of listening to streamed sources.

Voice aside Myles just is not a sexual being. Frontman need that energy coming out of their pores... it’s the problem with this whole enterprise. 

Introducing Serve You Right... “This is kind of dirty tee hee.” Dude SELL THAT SHIT! I’m about to go St. Louis and jump on stage and do it myself god damnit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/20/2018 at 4:42 PM, -W.A.R- said:

The beginning of Serve You Right sounds like someone trying - poorly - to play Stranglehold :lol:

Nah, more like Aerosmith Movin' Out  or some AC/DC. Stranglehold is very square and this has more swing/groove/swagger like those two bands.

3 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Nice, he finally got Fortus in his SMKC band at least for a song.

Edited by moreblack

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

We are all too quick to judge music this day and age.. People listen once and want to be the first to post a review and judge.  Some of my favorite music in life are songs that grew on me.  I think this album has growing ability. Been listening tonight while I have been logged in for work and it is sounding better.  Going to listen to it over the weekend in my car and around the house.

I will never be a huge Myles fan but I am digging "Serve You Right" @Free Bird and "The Great Pretender" right now.

Everytime when there's a new album to be released I'm saying to myself. Don't judge to early, don't say awesome, best ever or anything like that. This time I started just fine but as soon as I heard the whole album I was just to surprised. 

But you're right, time will tell what's really good and what's not.

7 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

From a long, long, long term Slash fan

Really, it’s just the biggest fluffy, mundane, candyfloss, forgettable pish I’be heard.

Be honest for fuck sake. I want to love this album, I really do. Trust me.

Christ, people are arguing it’s the best SMKandtheC (?) album yet.... so this might be the best of 2 previous albums that are the equivalent of a shot in the heart

Does anyone actually still listen to Apocalyptic Love on this forum? Let alone planet earth excl. mygnrforum? Nope

World on Fire? (which actually I thought was a brilliant album) - double nope

These albums are essentially disposable  smokescreens so the guys can go on the road and make some dolla. Other than that- it’s impressive studio shit with no lasting value whatsoever.

Dont believe me? Go listen to Slash 2010 and everything after it.

Its nonsense

I still listen to Slash's albums.

Snakepits get played quite regularly. With AL, I still regularly play selective songs, namely Anastasia, Not For Me, You're A Lie and Far & Away. With WOF, I still listen to Beneath The Savage Sun, 30 Years To Life, The Unholy, Automatic Overdrive and Wicked Stone.

I've listened to this album a few times now and after considering it seriously I feel comfortable referring to it as a pile of crap.

If young slash knew that old slash would be playing this shit music he would spew his guts up.

It sits somewhere between nickleback, matchbox 20 and maroon 5.

When did slash become pop music.

People on this thread "its great - so easy to listen to". Is that what we're after with a slash album?? If you like easy listening then boy have i got the artist foryou - Enya!

Ive been dreaming of a slash/axl album for 25 years and this makes me wonder if I should move on.

1. Call of the wild - dull, boring song that sounds like all their other crap songs. Myles bleats like a goat all over it. Id rather listen to the version of chop suey where all the weird goats do the singing.

2. Serve you right - more of the same. Nothing memorable about it at all. I hate myles weird whispering voice as much his goat bleating.

3. My antidote - after a bad start it actually gets worse! Slash trying to be tom morello for some reason. Am i missing something or have the first 3 songs got the same tempo, chorus, goat bleating and uninspired solo. Struggling to tell the songs apart at this stage.

4. Mind your manners - SMKC version of painting by numbers. Would struggle to dislike it more. 

5. Lost inside the girl - Myles sings this one like he's a magician on a stage in las vegas. Weird whispery voice again. Makes a change from the goat i suppose. Pretty sure myles is actually saying lost inside the grrrrrrl. Corny lyrics and generic guitar.

6. Read between the lines - worst guitar riff slash has ever written. Pretty sure he's actually used it before but its all blending together at this stage. Terrible song. The verses make me cringe so much.

7. Slow grind - trying to pretend this song never happened. Appalling. Vocals hit a new low. I'm almost positive slash has ripped this riff off from himself bout 5 times.

8. The one you loved is gone - beautiful main guitar riff. Vocals are quite nice at the start. Meanders a bit. Solos aren't bad. Finally made it to a song thats semi listenable. What a relief.

9. When i first heard this song as a single i thought it was soft. Thought slash needed to grow some balls. Compared to the other "rock" songs on this album it sounds like lamb of god. Was disappointing as a single but turns out to be one of the better songs.

10. Sugar cane - don't think i can bring myself to talk about this one. Makes me too upset. 

11. The great pretender - this song is trying be something that it doesnt quite become. The something that its trying to be is messages by VR. At least it doesn't sound like all the shit pop music on this album. Misses the mark though. Rubbish verses. 

12. Boulevard of broken hearts - why does slash start with the riff from eye of the tiger? Myles is too much of a pansy for Rocky. This song is trying to be epic. My last bowel movement was more epic than this. This whole song seems incredibly forced - once again much like my last bowel movement.  Lyrics are pathetic.

To say this album is disappointing is like saying that external hemorrhoids are a tad uncomfortable. 

Slash needs to learn the difference between a good friend and a good vocalist.

I'd rather listen to axl if he was going through a techno funk folk opera stage and started singing in italian.

Slash seems to surrounded by band mates too scared to tell him he keeps bringing in the same song ideas.

Slash is my favourite guitarist ever. Has inspired me with my own guitar playing so much. But its getting to the stage where i think we need to stage an intervention. He needs to be saved from himself - and myles. This can't go on.