Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

I've given it three spins so far - it's weaker than World on Fire and I'd rank it a little lower than Apocalyptic Love as well. The Slash/Myles formula is sounding at its most tired in this album, when really they needed to do something a little different.

Having said that, it's still Slash. It's still Myles. And it's still very good.

Initial standout tracks are: The One You Loved Is Gone, The Great Pretender and Mind Your Manners. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

At this moment I dig it more than the previous two records. I don't know if I dig it more then WOF by the same time of its release. Probably I do. 

But I remember not digging Slash that much in the beginning and now it's one of the albums I'm listen to quite frequently.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

after 6-7 spins i have to say i'm surprised, it's a really solid albums with only very few fillers, not a single track that i consider skipping so far, some great solo work from slash (no noodling), myles often in his lower register which really comforts my ears :D and some really great and very different songs, not the usual SMKC stuff (at least not every song)

my favourites so far:

The Call of The Wild: Nice opener, even though strange beginning, i really like the riff, myles sounds good overall, the chorus is very catchy, i cant get it out of my head for the last couple of days, the solo is ok, couldve been better but still a good opening 8/10

Lost Inside The Girl: The first highlight for me, very atmospheric, myles at his best, exactly one of those songs i didnt expect but i'm suprised in a positive way.. great guitar work, great solo, well structured and overthought 9/10

Slow Grind: nice groovy song, myles in his lower register again, chorus is a bit boring, but the rest of the song makes up for it.. solo is great once again, especially the last part before they go in the bridge, which is awesome as well, makes you groove really hard, one of my favourite moments on the album 8.5/10

The One You Loved Is Gone: i know I know, it's a poppy ballad, but we don't get these kind of songs from SMKC very often.. makes me very emotional, myles sings with feeling, really enjoy it. the harmonies from the 2nd verse on are just great! chorus is in the style of the rest of the song, emotional.. The "now i know, now i know..." part somehow reminds me a bit of Loving The Alien, dont know why.. beautiful solo by slash, very much honest feeling put into.. the last chorus is great as well, slash throws some aweseome fills in ( listen to 3:40 or 3:52).. the lalala part in the end is very much Battleground, probably the only thing i don't like about this song..still one of my favourites on the album i guess 9.5/10

Driving Rain: Yes i admit it, i like this song, liked it from the day it came out.. sure it is an easy listening radio-pop-rock kinda  track, but dont we need those tracks as well? just feel-good guitar music.. riff kicks ass, catchy chorus, easy to listen to.. probably the most SMKC typical song on this album, myles harmonizes with todd just as we all expected it :D and i freaking love the standing in the sun reference, not lazy at all, just a nice kind of throwback.. will definetly be a part of the set for the whole tour 8/10

The Great Pretender: Parisienne Walkwa...what? the main riff definetely sounds a lot like the Gary Moore classic, verse doesn't catch me that much, but the chorus is awesome, and very atmospheric towards the end (won't you take your final bow..), deep lyrics as well, i'm not a native speaker so i usually don't care that much for the lyrics, but on this one, they are really good.. bridge is really emotional as well as the solo.. epic tune overall 9.5/10

Boulevard Of Broken Hearts: great final song, riff is like a mix between eye of the tiger and number of the beast, not a bad thing, sounds really good,.. really like myles voice during the verse.. chorus is very catchy again, would love to hear this one live.. bridge ("believe in what you see...") sounds a bit uninspired, solo is great once again, really straight forward.. the last chorus is a bit long imo, and what really annoys me is that myles ends it on a high note (for all the music theory geeks, not on the root note but on the 5th) which sounds a bit unfinished for me, especially as this is the last song of the record, but apart from this a really good finish 9/10

the album is only out for 3 days, but so far this might be my favourite SMKC record, all tracks are solid, there is not a track that i consider skipping (even though sugar cane might get there in some time)... i agree there is no standout track like Anastasia, but probably just because like nearly all of the songs stand out, theyre all good, some better, some not that good, but all solid, and very different from each other

Album overall probably 8.5/10

Edited by SAU3R
  • Like 4

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Gunsdrummer63 said:

10.) Sugar cane, wtf is this?

Haha. For real... can we all sign this statement and mail it out on behalf of the community.

Serve You Right is the only thing on this album I can listen to. This is crazy. World On Fire is looking mighty good in retrospect...

My only theory is that Slash is keeping some GNR candidates in the chamber. Otherwise the NITL tour must have not been very inspiring! I know he doesn't like to fuss over songs but when he landed on Fall To Pieces for example he knew it wasn't a toss off. I think he has some sense of it.

Edited by Ant

On 22/09/2018 at 11:37 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

After a few listens I think Lost Inside The Girl is the best song. I like Sugar Cane for the silly pop song that it is, same with The One You Loved Is Gone. I'm starting to dig Slow Grind too. It would've been nice to hear an instrumental on this album though, IMO.

I've never seen SMKC live but I always thought it'd be cool if they opened with an instrumental. If I bought a ticket to see Slash's band it'd be great to see him start the show with a rockin instrumental (then go straight into another song).

I think we can safely say we have very different taste in Slash songs! :lol:

I think sugar cane is the worst song I've ever heard. Mind blowingly horrendous. I can't find the words to say how bad it is.

Slow grind is another appalling song in my opinion. One of the worst riffs Slash has ever written. Shocking song.

Safari inn is a great song to put you to sleep. Nothing catchy or memorable about it for me. 

Same with watch this. Neither of them are orion that's for sure.

Slash does not have a good time with instrumentals.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DK6 said:

I think we can safely say we have very different taste in Slash songs! :lol:

I think sugar cane is the worst song I've ever heard. Mind blowingly horrendous. I can't find the words to say how bad it is.

Slow grind is another appalling song in my opinion. One of the worst riffs Slash has ever written. Shocking song.

Safari inn is a great song to put you to sleep. Nothing catchy or memorable about it for me. 

Same with watch this. Neither of them are orion that's for sure.

Slash does not have a good time with instrumentals.

The lyrics on Sugar Cane are what kill the song for me, but I like the quick, poppy instrumental. It's just a 'fun' little song. Myles ruins Slow Grind (and honestly the whole album) for me but I don't find the instrumental to be offensively bad - but it's definitely not great either.

Safari Inn is one of the only songs I still listen to off WOF. I didn't like Watch This or Jizz Da Pit but Safari Inn is alright, the live version with Orianthi and a Grandpa Walrus is pretty cool:
(even though the mix is fucked up <_<)

Also, pre-NITL I would've agreed that he generally doesn't have good instrumentals. But his solos were a highlight of the 2017 shows I saw, which is why I would've loved to hear a new instrumental.

• Like 1

Listened to the album a few times now, and it’s not for me.

If you like it great - but it’s all getting a little bland and uninspired IMO.

Not sure what’s worse for a musician - lack of inspiration and struggling for creativity - or creating too much that the end result suffers.

I think Slash falls into the latter camp. If his post GNR output was limited to the first snakepit album, Contraband and WOF (or the best of SMKC into one album)  - then it would hold up as a collective whole. But there’s so much out there that is distinctly average - Slash 2010, a lot of his work with Miles etc etc. Just my opinion, but I just don’t think his recent songwriting matches his undeniable status as one of the best guitarists ever

• Like 1

I haven't had the time to listen to everything properly, but I do like Slow Grind. Lost Inside the Girl and Read Between the Lines are fine too. I really don't get The One You Loved is Gone though. I feel like it's a Bon Jovi song with Slash. I like Slash's work, as always, but I find it often hard to get past Myles. I like his lower voice better than the one he usually seems to use for SMKC, but his usual voice makes all the songs blend into one imo.

I find it really annoying I can't seem to get into him. He can be a great singer, I don't know, but he's not for me. As I sat listening, I often thought: I wish this was instrumental only.

On the bright side: I haven't had the feeling: shit, I wish he'd done this with GNR :lol: So fingers crossed he has some other tunes up his sleeve and he gets to turn them into songs and on an album one of these years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ant said:

Haha. For real... can we all sign this statement and mail it out on behalf of the community.

Serve You Right is the only thing on this album I can listen to. This is crazy. World On Fire is looking mighty good in retrospect...

My only theory is that Slash is keeping some GNR candidates in the chamber. Otherwise the NITL tour must have not been very inspiring! I know he doesn't like to fuss over songs but when he landed on Fall To Pieces for example he knew it wasn't a toss off. I think he has some sense of it.

I don’t want to call it leftovers and there’s a few riffs that could have been GNR songs but I feel like the drummer is key.  He doesn’t seem to like frank answers much as he like Brent Fitz or other drummers he’s worked with. He seems to like Richard though and that helps but there’s something about that drummer that feels like either slash doesn’t seen fit for those songs or maybe axl didn’t even like. 

My guess is he saved the best for axl because he can make more money using the guns name than just his own. If he puts the best material aside for Guns he will make More. 

7 hours ago, Gibbo said:

SLASH describes creating the fun clip here: “The idea behind doing an animated video for ‘Driving Rain’ is mostly due to the dark subject matter of the song influencing directors to come up with very dramatic, dark and sullen regular live action treatments that weren’t any fun at all (no offense to those guys). So, I wanted to create something that could be tongue-in-cheek and yet still be dark with live-action animation. We’re all big fans of Stoopid Buddy and they came up with a great concept and treatment. We love the video and it came out fn’ brilliant. Fyi, no puppets were harmed during the making of this video.”

“Our whole team at Stoopid Buddy Stoodios was beyond excited to work with Slash, Myles, and those hard rocking Conspirators,” explains John Harvatine IV, Creative Director and Co-Founder. “We had a blast creating a dramatic heart-pounding music video with rag-doll-like rod puppets and adrenaline-filled RC Jeeps. From this moment forward, ‘Driving Rain’ is now the Citizen Kane of music videos!”

Talk about recycling!  First the Lyrics and now the car goes off the cliff like in don’t cry!!!  Lol

i like the video.  Was kinda hoping that animal from the muppets would have made an appearance on drums.  lol. no offense to Puppet Brent