Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

This album keeps getting better the more I listen to it Slow Grind I rated a 4 now it’s a 8 ezy - No bad songs once again - Rock n Roll album of the year - Slash - Myles and the Conspirators are getting better - I LOVE IT 🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩🎩

On 10/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, Turn_It_Up said:

As a lifelong Slash diehard, I'll admit I was ready to HATE on this album. Weird because I thought WOF was a more than solid improvement over AL with some real highlights, but just thought the whole thing with Myles had more than run its course(putting it kindly). Had been listening to his tracks with Beth Hart recently and wanted him to do something different(from Myles) with the precious time he has left in his career. So didn't even care enough about the release to listen to it until this week. Started in the car and skipped through to small bits of each song and, as expected, was completely underwhelmed and depressed.

Then I decided to give the full album a listen yesterday.--and haven't stopped since.  A total 180 for me and still kinda hard to believe. Myles tones it down alot on this and I'm really enjoying him on most of the tracks. Slash brings it as always. That solo on Lost Inside The Girl!:o:headbang:

I don't get so many saying there's not the big tracks like on WOF. It is exactly like Slash had described, a shorter, more cohesive album and IMO probably their best. Didn't give it a chance as a single, but even Driving Rain now thoroughly enjoyable.

A couple days ago I wouldn't have bothered seeing them again on tour, but now can't friggin' wait...

Glad you gave it a chance. It's a great album.

On 20.10.2018 at 12:57 AM, Turn_It_Up said:

A couple days ago I wouldn't have bothered seeing them again on tour, but now can't friggin' wait...

I'm glad you like it. This album is a grower, I also think it's the best SMKC album, even though WOF sounds better thanks to analog tapes. If I'd rate those albums in 0 to 100 scale, Apocalyptic Love would've been 70/100, World On Fire 80/100 and Living The Dream 81/100. WOF should be cut short with songs like Dirty Girl and Stone Blind, which should've became bonus tracks for LTD. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 7:13 AM, Ralphelmo said:

I'm glad you like it. This album is a grower, I also think it's the best SMKC album, even though WOF sounds better thanks to analog tapes. If I'd rate those albums in 0 to 100 scale, Apocalyptic Love would've been 70/100, World On Fire 80/100 and Living The Dream 81/100. WOF should be cut short with songs like Dirty Girl and Stone Blind, which should've became bonus tracks for LTD. 

Agreed.

The big surprise is how much I genuinely dig Myle's vocals on this album. And it's not like I've just gotten use to it--I can't recall the last time I listened to WOF.

I've liked him more on each of the 3 albums, but I actually really do like him a lot on LTD and he seems a great fit for the band. I never felt that way before.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Just listening to the album for the first time.

So far, I like Serve You Right.

I still don't get how Myles used this melody for the chorus. It just doesn't work. IMO the song makes a 180 degree turn during the chorus compared to the verses and it changes the atmosphere of the track completely. The outro is awesome and with a different chorus this song could have been one of the best Slash songs ever IMO.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I still don't get how Myles used this melody for the chorus. It just doesn't work. IMO the song makes a 180 degree turn during the chorus compared to the verses and it changes the atmosphere of the track completely. The outro is awesome and with a different chorus this song could have been one of the best Slash songs ever IMO.

Yeah.. I really tried on this one.. I think it was you that made me give it another shot.. Myles just kind of ruins it.. Close but no cigar..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The album failed another test.. Call Of The Wild came on my shuffle this morning at the gym and I could hardly make it through it.  Sometimes when a song pops up that you only have a little familiarity with you can kind of get into it a lottle more and don't have to listen to the whole album.  There was no "woah this song is actually pretty cool moment". I could hardly make it through the song.. It has literally zero redeeming qualities.. Even the riff is pretty weak... Not typical of Slash. 

On November 21, 2018 at 12:04 AM, Free Bird said:

Myles has problems with this with SMKC. Sometimes I get used to it (No More Heroes) and sometimes it disappoints me (Serve You Right, Lost Inside the Girl). I say this as a fan of Myles, but I wouldn't mind this album/tour being the finale of the band. I got a lot of enjoyment out of them- they released 3 fun but not revolutionary albums and were a blast to see live. Since 2011 I have seen them like 6 times or something, its enough for me. I wouldn't mind seeing Slash move on. I don't see Slash finding another solo band or doing something all new, and I almost don't care if he does or doesn't with GNR being a thing again. I hope Axl wants to move forward because that is our sole holdup

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I think the track order killed the album a little. The songs are all listenable with a few of them being standouts but there's too much filler towards the end. Needs to be spread out a little

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

World On Fire is very good. I had forgotten how good it was - I only listened to it fleetingly when first released. Full of big pop singable choruses, power ballads, and Slash's riffs and solos. I think the band were finding their style with that album, a sort of synthesis of Kennedy's more easy-listening style and the usual Slash bluesy hard rock.

I have to say that the new one isn't as good as this. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
Spelling!
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 12:13 AM, DieselDaisy said:

World On Fire is very good. I had forgotten how good it was - I only listened to it fleetly when first released. Full of big pop singable choruses, power ballads, and Slash's riffs and solos. I think the band were finding their style with that album, a sort of synthesis of Kennedy's more easy-listening style and the usual Slash bluesy hard rock.

I have to say that the new one isn't as good as this. 

WOF is are superior to LTD for sure... Not even close in my opinion.

• Like 1

You just know when everything clicks into place and World on Fire has that. World on Fire goes into some interesting areas melodically and it accommodates Kennedy's pop-orientated singing. You cannot just have Myles Kennedy doing Steven Tyler impressions over Slash's usual blues hard rock stuff. He has a more ''easy'' rock-pop sensibility and you hear this on ''The Dissent'' most of all. But it all fits together. At least three solos on here are up there with Slash's very finest. I also really like the production. Terrific album. 

And I wouldn't shorten it actually. I quite like the fact it is sprawling, and I don't really think there are many obvious ''duds'' I'd wish to remove. 

• Like 2

I am now reassessing Apocalyptic Love. It is a fun album. ''Anastasia'' is a thorough masterpiece and ''No More Heroes'' and to a lesser extent ''Standing in the Sun'' are good also. The rest largely comprises of Snakepit style 'fist in the air' rockers. There is nothing offensively bad here, in fact there is a lot to enjoy and Slash is outstanding throughout but I think the band really found their style more with World On Fire

I could have done without Myles' Johnny Rotten impression (''One Last Thrill''). Myles may be many things and I am a fan of his but he is about as punk rock as Duff McKagan in a Gucci store. Also for some reason I always laugh at, ''this is the last time//Oh, oh''. 

• Like 2