Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, Graeme said:

Godzilla'd better win this time...

When I was a little kid, I was inconsolable that Godzilla didn't beat Kong's ass, eventually my mother told me that Godzilla was alive and came back to kill Kong, I don't know if I believed her, or chose to believe her, but it made me happy.

I really like the new Godzilla, and he's one of my original all time favorites.  I'll watch this new one, and I'll like it, but the plot looks really, really dumb.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I'll watch this new one, and I'll like it, but the plot looks really, really dumb.

What looks particularly stupid about it? It doesn't look like much has been revealed but from what I can see, after the events of the first film, humanity is trying to work out our relationship with Godzilla who is destructive, but not necessarily malicious. Like all things out of our control, we probably wish he were controllable and therefore there'll be a debate about whether we leave him well alone or actively go out of our way to try to get rid of him/prevent him from causing more destruction.

Then Ghidorah shows up, who is bigger than Godzilla, possibly more powerful and much more malicious, so those wanting to try and get rid of Godzilla (and by extension, the other Kaiju) need to swallow their malcontent and let him do his thing for the sake of us all.

It's simple, but I don't think I'd call it dumb

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

What looks particularly stupid about it? It doesn't look like much has been revealed but from what I can see, after the events of the first film, humanity is trying to work out our relationship with Godzilla who is destructive, but not necessarily malicious. Like all things out of our control, we probably wish he were controllable and therefore there'll be a debate about whether we leave him well alone or actively go out of our way to try to get rid of him/prevent him from causing more destruction.

Then Ghidorah shows up, who is bigger than Godzilla, possibly more powerful and much more malicious, so those wanting to try and get rid of Godzilla (and by extension, the other Kaiju) need to swallow their malcontent and let him do his thing for the sake of us all.

It's simple, but I don't think I'd call it dumb

That first trailer?  it's a 2 minute lecture on humans ruining the environment, and how the only way to save earth is to find and release the titans.  Toward the end of the trailer, we see Godzilla shooting fire breath into the smog/clouds to let the sunlight in.

It's an opinion thing, imo, reversing global warming by releasing a bunch of giant monsters to blow away the bad stuff is dumb.

This looks like the Godzilla movie we've (Americans and others) been waiting for our entire life. I'm honestly torn between this or Avengers 4 on which I'm most excited for. Probably Godzilla tbh. While I'm sure I'll love and enjoy the heck out of Avengers 4 (I had been waiting most of my life to see Infinity Guantlet on the big screen), I've already seen half of it at this point. Just waiting to see how the story ends. With Godzilla, seeing him and Ghidorah battle it out like this has ALWAYS been a dream of mine.

On 12/12/2018 at 5:19 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I saw the previous Godzilla on cable and thought it was pretty good.

Saw this preview and it looks good too.

I love how Godzilla is now a hero monster! Awesome!

It's funny you mention this, because for most of the Showa series Godzilla was the hero. Which if you are unaware, here is how the Godzilla film timelines go.

1. Showa Series (original film until 1974, Terror of Mechagodzilla). All of these films have a cheesy glory to them. Starting with Ghiodorah the 3 headed monster (3 or 4th film of the series), Godzilla is the good guy. He remains the good guy for the rest of the series. For me personally, I like that Legendary is kinda "borrowing" this format, it's a nice nod to the originals imo. 

2. Heisei Series (original film, then starts with Godzilla 1985, or return of Godzilla depending on where you are from. This series goes all the way until Godzilla VS Destroyah, so basically the original film plus 80s and 90s). This is the BEST Godzilla series imo. It has continuity, and every film is actually really solid. Yes it has some cheese factor to it as well, but overall it's the best imo. Godzilla is usually the bad guy, but sometimes other monsters are worse. But he isnt EVER the hero. 

3. Millennium Series (this series doesnt have any continuity. It's basically the original film and every film is a stand alone sequel to the original). This is my LEAST favorite era, although Godzilla Final Wars is one of the BEST Toho Godzilla films imo. The rest though... I'm not a big fan. 

4. Current Toho Godzilla series I'm not sure it has an official name or continuity at this point.

5. The 1998 "Zilla" Godzilla movie. Nothing much to say here...

6. The Legendary Godzilla series. 

EVERY series (except for the American made films) include the 1954 original Goijira or the 1955 American counterpart Godzilla King of Monsters. So when watching Toho Godzilla, you always start with the original (and best film overall). 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

9 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Godzilla 2014 was ok but looking back its a dissapointing film.

It should have had the dark, terrifying vibe the trailers gave, it should have had Brian Cranston and Ken Watabe lead, and it should have had more Godzilla

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except for it being "disappointing." I think it does EVERYTHING it needed to. Lengendary had this monsterverse plan from the beginning. As such, they had to do a good introduction Godzilla movie, which I feel like it is. It's in the same vein of Godzilla (original) and Godzilla 1985. While I DO like the original better, I'm kinda torn on 1985 vs 2014 (and Godzilla 1985 WAS my childhood Godzilla movie). 

Could it been better? Yes. Should they have used the "big stars" better? Yes. Having said that, it's actually grown on me quite a bit. It suffers from the same problems ALL Godzilla films struggle with (the humans). Trying to tell a compelling story about humans while these big monsters run crazy has ONLY ever really worked in the first film. The rest are better or worse than others, but overall, finding compelling human stories has always plagued these films. That's why, when you watch the Toho films, they just keep going further and further "out there" story wise, because NOBODY cares when Godzilla isnt on screen. 

So when I view the 2014 through that lens, it's perfectly fine imo. Honestly, it would probably make my top 10 Godzilla films period (not top 5 though). I think the Mutos were good introductory Godzilla fodder. Better to get "weaker" monsters out of the way before you introduce Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, and Kong. 

I will also say that these films appear to being made BY fans and for fans. Yes they want to appeal to Mass audiences, but I'm really impressed with the fan service. I'm mean honestly, if you asked Godzilla fans which monsters you would like to see (besides Godzilla) Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan would be 1, 2, and 3. Kong is just an added bonus (Godzilla fans NEVER thought we would see that again). My ONLY addition would be Gigan. I personally would have Gigan after Ghidorah, but I'm a super fan, lol. 

My personal favs.

1. Godzilla King of Monsters (I like the Americanized version with Perry Mason, lol). But you could also put Goijira here. (All series)

2. Ghidorah the 3 headed monster (Showa). This film actually has a pretty solid story and human characters. 

3. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (Heisei). I actually like ALL of the Godzilla vs Ghidorah scenes more in this film than in the Showa film, but the Showa story is a lot better imo. 

4. Godzilla vs Biolante (Heisei) picks up right where Godzilla 1985 ends, overall unique entry imo.

5. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (Showa). While this film has a fair amount of cheese, it's still the best Mechagodzilla film. I like Mechagodzilla being evil controlled by aliens, the Heisei version isnt as good.

6. Godzilla Final Wars (Millenium) It literally has EVERYTHING. Story wise its kinds like a crazy Xmen crossover film, which is a little weird. But Godzilla fights Ghidorah, Gigan, Zilla (from the 98 film), along with pretty much every other Kaiju.

7. Godzilla 2014 (Legendary). I just really like this movie, I dont love it, no. But it's a good start to the Monsterverse imo.

8. Godzilla 1985 (Heisei). Besides the original film, it's probably the most terrorizing and threatening that Godzilla has been with Toho. A little boring at times, but it's a solid film overall.

9. Godzilla vs Mothra (Heisei). Best Mothra film imo, almost a complete remake of the Showa version, but I like this one better. Interesting "Indiana Jones" influenced "human" story. 

10. Godzilla vs Monster X (Showa). Picks up where Ghidorah the 3 headed monster ends. Still pretty interesting human characters, but the cheese factor is pretty high at times. 

11. Godzilla vs Destroyah (Heisei). This is the official end of the Heisei era, it also brings back things from the original film (which is a nice touch). Solid entry, not great but solid.

12. Godzilla vs Gigan (Showa). This film has some serious issues (stock footage, cheesy). But it introduces Gigan, Godzillas 2nd greatest enemy. 

13. Godzilla vs Space Godzilla (Heisei). A lot of people dont like this one, but it's alright imo. I like it better than the Heisei Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. But it's still a pretty weak Heisei entry.

14. Terror of Mechagodzilla (Showa). Final film in the Showa series. Picks up where Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla ended. Solid Showa film imo.

15. Destroy all monsters (Showa). It has a lot of monsters in it, that's the good part. The story is bad though... and boring.

HM:

Godzilla vs King Kong (Showa). It didnt make my top 15 (for a reason), it's not that great of a film. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, DeadSlash said:

That first trailer?  it's a 2 minute lecture on humans ruining the environment, and how the only way to save earth is to find and release the titans.  Toward the end of the trailer, we see Godzilla shooting fire breath into the smog/clouds to let the sunlight in.

It's an opinion thing, imo, reversing global warming by releasing a bunch of giant monsters to blow away the bad stuff is dumb.

The part's in the middle of the trailer. Also, what makes you think THAT is what was going on?

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:42 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

Agreed, lol.

One of the best things Toho did was create a new monster called Zilla, and have Godzilla mop the floor with it, lol.

Same monster as in the 98 one but Sony owns the rights to that character as "Godzilla" so Toho changed the name. 

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Sad to see this is getting panned on Rotten Tomatoes. My hopes were through the roof. Still going to see it with friends, hope all the critics are wrong.

Rotten Tomatoes is for people too stupid to make up their own mind on what they want to see. 

I pretty much agree with a lot of the reviews. The script was so bad. I couldnt believe the writing and story got green lit the way it was executed. I know its a monster movie, but that doesnt mean they have to put garbage out. Way too much of the lame cast, too. Every time an awesome fight started they had way too many cuts of the stupid characters flailing around in a vehicle or running or some shit.

That being said, there was a lot I enjoyed. The cinematography was awesome during certain scenes, the soundtrack ruled (although it could have been louder at times), the fights were really great, and I loved each main monster's intro. Rodan's intro was supet cool and Mothra and King Ghidorah stole every scene they were in.

It's frustrating because this could have been a lot better and more rewatchable if they cut 30 minutes of the human shots and tightened up the remaining script and story.

It wasn’t terrible by any means, but the cuts to the humans and their POV constantly did grow tiresome. Cool sometimes, but mainly tiresome.

Some of the writing was pretty poor as well, but overall I did really enjoy the movie. I saw it in IMAX and that made it even better.

I’d give it a 7.5/10, and that’s because of the human bit bogging it down some, otherwise it’d be higher.

For reference, I’d give 2014 Godzilla a 6/10.

Honesty, if you liked that one or are a fan of Godzilla in general, you’ll probably enjoy it. Yeah, it should have and could have been better, and the trailers were low-key misleading, but the movie is still fun and mainly accomplishes what you’d want from a modern day Godzilla movie.

Saw this on Saturday in IMAX 3D at Southbank in London, first film I've bothered to see in 3D in years. I saw the 2014 Godzilla at the same cinema and there were far fewer people at the King of Monsters' screening.

Pretty much agree with this review:

I still far preferred it to Kong: Skull Island which I found obnoxious.

While I did really like the 2014 Godzilla film, I would still like to see the "Godzilla: Destroyer of Worlds" that was teased in this 2012 Comic-Con trailer, similar to the original Gojira film:

In the teaser trailer for that film, they removed the MUTOs from shots that they would appear in in the final film, it came as a bit of a surprise when they appeared and Godzilla fulfilled the "hero" role.

• Like 1