The future for Guns?

I believe not much has changed when it comes to Axl and new music. meaning Axl probably thinks the catalog is not big enough and will like to release new music but I don't think his process changed much, not gonna record an album in 2 weeks and release it. it will probably take years to record and release. it also seems like musically axl wants some kind of progression with every new guns release.

ac/dc will probably come first as well if Axl will even attempt to work on a new guns album. 

• Like 1

They won't need to release new music to have another successful tour in one or two years from now. And that is probably what will happen. When Slash and Duff want to be creative they will do so with their other bands, when they want to earn a lot of money and play huge places, they will do so with GnR. It works out for them, the only ones not getting what they want are the GnR fans, but they should be used to that by now.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

I don't see New music in the future ... but who knows? .... Don't think they will sell out BIG Stadiums on a new album ... maybe if izzy and adler joined for

a straight ROCK N ROLL album then a tour ...but no ... Would be cool if axl release the music from the vault but hmmmm 

don't see it happening ..

I just hope Axl releases CD2 as it is back 2014 when he said CD2 and a remix album is ready. It feels like unfinished business and best to just get it out.

The optimistic me would like to think that eventually, they will release something, but the realistic me have comes to terms with no new music from this band. The fact that Dizzy, Duff (Walking Papers) and Slash (SMKC) all have an album out while the tour is on is a big indication.

Edited: Year of the interview.

Edited by Rapidfire
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rapidfire said:

It's a mystery what happened there. Supposedly the plans changed because of the reunion. But Axl could have released the album and then do the reunion. Since Slash and Duff are playing CD songs, I guess they could have played some of the new songs instead. And everyone, or the majority at least, would be happy, both the fans who wanted the reunion and the portion that was more interested in new music.

So what happened? Did Axl change his mind? Did the label block it because of the reunion?

31 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

It's a mystery what happened there. Supposedly the plans changed because of the reunion. But Axl could have released the album and then do the reunion. Since Slash and Duff are playing CD songs, I guess they could have played some of the new songs instead. And everyone, or the majority at least, would be happy, both the fans who wanted the reunion and the portion that was more interested in new music.

So what happened? Did Axl change his mind? Did the label block it because of the reunion?

I don't know, I'm pretty much sure that BBF left because he was fucking tired of not releasing any music

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Here's my prediction and I will be absolutely shocked if anything besides this happens:

Slash will do a solo tour this fall and spring, which I won't care about.

Axl will probably do the AC/DC album and tour next year, which I won't care about.

Duff, Richard, Dizzy, Melissa & Frank will probably do a TON of things, which I won't care about.

In 2019, GN'R will regroup to tour in whatever capacity the interest level will support.  If there's enough interest, they'll do stadiums again. If there's not, they'll do arenas. If there's not enough interest to support that, they'll charge more and do theaters. None of which I will care about. 

This will happen with or without new material. It's hard not to be pessimistic, but i am losing interest fast. Perhaps Axl should take heed of Bumble's old recommendation and release material individually on digital platforms, though it seems he still sees music as a complete package along with the box and art (as per that Brazilian interview he and Duff done). I don't know, it wouldn't be hard to push out a single, especially if it was Atlas or The General, and reinvigorate some excitement.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

I don't know, I'm pretty much sure that BBF left because he was fucking tired of not releasing any music

I think, from what he said, he knew that the reunion was happening before he left (so I guess that also meant that the album wouldn't be released).

I guess the label thought it would bomb, because people wouldn't buy a GnR album with other players on it at a time that Slash and Duff were back. And maybe also Axl hoped that he could re-record it with Slash on it.

Edited by Blackstar

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think, from what he said, he knew that the reunion was happening before he left (and that also meant that the album wouldn't be released).

I guess the label thought it would bomb, because people wouldn't buy a GnR album with other players on it at a time that Slash and Duff were back. And maybe also Axl hoped that he could re-record it with Slash on it.

Axl should just use the songs that Slash and Duff are interested in on the new album, and release everything else as a solo project.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

For me, new music is the ultimate goal. I can't believe for one minute that Slash/Duff wouldn't want to do it. It's whether Axl wants to or not.

At the very least though, If touring is all we are getting, I'd like them to have more material rehearsed and mix up the set. Open with some different song's. 

Release a live DVD. Release some UYI tour shows. 

3 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Axl should just use the songs that Slash and Duff are interested in on the new album, and release everything else as a solo project.

That's a pretty good idea.  If Steven Tyler can be a solo country artist then Axl can do a solo album.

Unfortunately, the opportunity to get new "Guns n' Roses" music ended in the mid 90's when they couldn't get it going with Izzy back in the studio.  I doubt anything that they put out now with A/S/D will be that great.  Upper limit is maybe a couple of good songs on the level of some of the better CD stuff or Slither.  There certainly won't be much collaborative writing going on.  It will be either Axl adding lyrics to a Slash and Duff composition or Slash putting his spin on the guitar parts of an Axl song.

Long gone are the days of Axl hearing Slash fiddling around and having a vision like he did for SCOM.

I personally think that Axl continuing with AC/DC is stupid.  It was a novelty to have him fill in so they could complete their tour.  A big part of the identity of a band is the sound of the lead singer.  Van Halen had quite the different "feel" with Sammy Hagar vs. DLR.  AC/DC had no choice when they got a new singer the first time.  It was early in their career.  At this point, Angus should just do an Angus Young album featuring different vocalists like Carlos Santana.

For GNR, I guess the ideal thing would be to somehow come up with a high quality 12 song Album to book end their career and then do one final 3 year tour.  Start in LA in late 2019 and end in LA with a grand finale show at the new football stadium where they perform for 5 hours with no opener.  End the show by having Frank, Richard and Melissa leave the stage before PC and have Izzy and Steven join for the last song ever in late 2022.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

For me, new music is the ultimate goal. I can't believe for one minute that Slash/Duff wouldn't want to do it. It's whether Axl wants to or not.

At the very least though, If touring is all we are getting, I'd like them to have more material rehearsed and mix up the set. Open with some different song's. 

Release a live DVD. Release some UYI tour shows. 

I once read that axl sold his rights upon new musics for Mercuriadis, until he's 63.

So, maybe seven years in the future we'll listen to something new. 

Axl needs to get his voice in shape before it will be exciting to see them again. NITL has been fantastic even with lackluster vocals. But I don’t think this current format is sustainable (although I’d pay to see it again, but we aren’t the mass market).

The willingness to pay to see the same show and a poorly conditioned Axl has to go down. Doubt they could or would do stadiums in the US again 

Ideal situation is new music + a 2010 Axl. I’d also settle for one or the other. Something. Anything! 

Never thought the/a reunion would be this depressing. I can't think of anything that disproves it as a cashgrab and nothing more. It's been TWO YEARS since Coachella, I was really hoping they could just paste Slash and Duff over CD2 songs and see if they come up with anything else 100% new and chuck out a new album but there's no real feeling that any of them give a single shiny shit about it. 

THerefore I hope Atlas and General leak so I can just stop caring. 

• Like 1

I highly doubt that A/S/D ever considered collaborating any further than the reunion tour. This is no more than a payday for them. At a push they could finish that '95/'96 album, but that's highly unlikely tbh. Axl has progressed beyond 80s cock rock, and Slash has his own projects he can do that kind of thing with.

If Axl releases any of the mythical 'big guns' as a single, people will be excited, regardless of whether or not Slash and Duff recorded parts for it. It doesn't necessarily mean it will be commercially successful, but it will still start a buzz.

I think we WILL hear new music at somepoint but what configuration it will be in is anyone’s guess. There is too much in the vault to not use and I am pretty sure Richard stated in the recent past that ideas has been getting banded about?

I just don’t see nothing happening with the older material - as noted above, see what Slash and Duff like and work with that.

There must be some credible sources which can hopefully note it’s been discussed?

• Like 1

Just now, downzy said:

I've heard there's a lot of activity below the surface.  I don't expect Guns to be done anytime soon, even if there's periods where the public doesn't seem much happening.  

sounds promising :)