The future for Guns?

10 hours ago, action said:

you guys should take note of this tom morello interview and why RATM broke up and how the reunion happened 7 years later.

see what he says about the reunion shows:

We had a great time,” he explained. “We had fun onstage, offstage, playing ping pong, going out, to me it felt like there was a lot of camaraderie, but one of the things we kind of helped that and took off the table was everything that had been controversial before—writing music, doing interviews, having a manager—we’re just not going to do that stuff. We’re just going to play shows and have a nice time and be able to look each other in the eye and have a nice time and not be anything that had stirred controversy in the past.”

this mirrors the guns n roses situation perfectly, if you ask me.

I think that writing songs together and doing interviews (slash + Axl, that is) gives them too much pressure, much like the guys in RATM, but they still have fun together on stage. I can totally see where they're coming from.

come to think of it, there are a lot of similarities between RATM and GNR to begin with. both dangerous bands, band members overflowing with ego, only very few but great albums etc... both having massively anticipated reunion shows

http://www.kerrang.com/video/tom-morello-tells-lars-ulrich-why-rage-against-the-machine-broke-up/

good point.

as others have said, we never expected NITL tour happen... i've been upset by lack of communication since it did happen. but your post does bring up some good info that maybe is how the guys are seeing things. although if all we get is rehashed old music played live - i'd rather choose none at all. we have plenty of old shows, why recycle that with your old selves? unless it's a cash grab which would be sad to hear because then it's about the $$$ not the music.

if they actually can get together to do shows... they should be able to communicate with the fans in some capacity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Offtopic but I think that first 4 Metallica albums is the most flawless 4 album run in the history. There's not a single average song, the worst songs are like 7/10 

The only band I would put ahead of them is Van Halen from the debut to Fair Warning. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 10:57 AM, papashaun said:

So, in summary, I'm not necessarily a big proponent of releasing a whole new album, just for these reasons...I would be satisfied with 3-4 good tracks from the reunited crew in an EP of some sort, but fear what an 11-12 track album might actually sound like....could be as bad as Aerosmith's last studio album a few years back. 

GNR should still have plenty of gas in the tank though.   A lot of bands only have a certain # of albums in them and then they kinda fizzle out creatively until they can find their 2nd wind or a new direction or whatever.  I don't think GNR ever got to the point of being spent creatively, and even if they had Axl was (to his credit and detriment) always looking for ways to evolve.  They should, at the least, with all of the CD leftovers/etc, be able to put out 1 album that stands alongside and most likely trumps everything except AFD.

22 hours ago, jbhutto said:

GNR should still have plenty of gas in the tank though.   A lot of bands only have a certain # of albums in them and then they kinda fizzle out creatively until they can find their 2nd wind or a new direction or whatever.  I don't think GNR ever got to the point of being spent creatively, and even if they had Axl was (to his credit and detriment) always looking for ways to evolve.  They should, at the least, with all of the CD leftovers/etc, be able to put out 1 album that stands alongside and most likely trumps everything except AFD.

I think a potential new guns album could be a great album but don't think it will be as good as uyi. that's unrealistic imo. but they should still do it cause I agree there is still something left. one more album is still a possibility but it would probably have to be the 'right' kind of material for axl, good enough to be released. this is both a serious issue but also why I trust axl's musical standards. I think he will only release more guns material if he actually believes it reflects the current incarnation of the band and is a proper continuation of the band's direction.

46 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

The only band I would put ahead of them is Van Halen from the debut to Fair Warning. 

Led Zep, Black Sabbath, but I def agree with VH. In fact, Fair Warning is one of my top five albums of all time!

On 8/2/2018 at 2:51 PM, Edward Nigma said:

200 songs? Were you hear that?

On 8/2/2018 at 2:58 PM, Litti said:

I don't know how many he got, but he got many. I was just saying

Read an interview with Sebastian Bach I believe on loudwire, if not it was some rock site, 47-8 years ago when he was releasing a solo album.....His album before that featured an Axl guest appearance on Sebastian's cover of "Back in the Saddle Again," as backing vocals....the interviewer asked a question about Axl's guest appearance previously, and Sebastian stated something in the form of (not a direct quote/paraphrase) "He played me some new stuff he'd been working on the other day. I told him it sounds great and asked when he plans on putting it out. He said, "Eh, we'll see, I don't know." 

So, there's probably as least a few songs out there, it may not be 200, but I'm sure there's some completed ready for listen.....if we could just hear it.

5 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Led Zep, Black Sabbath, but I def agree with VH. In fact, Fair Warning is one of my top five albums of all time!

Led Zeppelin had Hats Off To Roy Harper tho and Black Sabbath has FX. I mean, I know FX is them trying out with hitting guitars with stuff and it's not serious and Hats Off To Roy Harper is a tribute but still, not flawless:P 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicklord said:

Led Zeppelin had Hats Off To Roy Harper tho and Black Sabbath has FX. I mean, I know FX is them trying out with hitting guitars with stuff and it's not serious and Hats Off To Roy Harper is a tribute but still, not flawless:P 

I actually like Hats Off! But yeah, I'll give you FX. Totally forgot about that one. 

14 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

Another Worldwide Tour and Retirement. If we get lucky, we'll get a UYI Boxset, but honestly I don't think we will, cause I think the way Axl talks about the Illusion records... It seems like he wasn't satisfied with the final product.

I agree with you, but not with the reason. I think there's not much "unheard" stuff from UYI sessions. there are very little known demos, so there's not much space to expand, unlike the AFD re-release. the way to go might be live shows, but we all know how GNR like releasing live stuff.

22 minutes ago, zombux said:

I agree with you, but not with the reason. I think there's not much "unheard" stuff from UYI sessions. there are very little known demos, so there's not much space to expand, unlike the AFD re-release. the way to go might be live shows, but we all know how GNR like releasing live stuff.

I think they can use other things as well, documentaries, shows, and all that plastic/metal crap they usually include on the boxsets.

Do you think they would mind of putting demos in the boxset that would sound very close to the finished versions? Like the QSound Versions and rough mixes, or the dats without the pianos on the songs? I don't think so... I think that if they feel they don't have enough, they would just put as much random shit as they can, and it would be kind of like Gene Simmon's vault. They don't care. People won't buy the 1000 dollars versions, but real fans will buy the deluxe versions, so I don't think they need to worry too much.

The way Axl talks about the Use your Illusion albums over the years though, it doesn't seem like he was satisfied. He often referred to those albums as not being in a particular direction and being more like a compilation of what everyone wanted to do, because they couldn't reach an agreement for a specific direction. I've read Axl complaining about the drums on the record (Don't know if it's mostly spite or constructive criticism).

Honestly I think Axl was already thinking in a Chinese Democracy kind of album (the ballads album) during that period of time already. Then on the first years with the new band, there were hardly any songs from the Illusion Years, except for Live and Let Die, November Rain and You Could be Mine. We had to wait a couple of years to get Civil War, Estranged and even Don't Cry.

So honestly, maybe because of control reasons, it doesn't feel like he was satisfied with the way those albums were made. Our best chance is if the label is imposing this boxsets to make money out of the band, then we might get lucky.

Edited by Propaganda

2 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

Do you think they would mind of putting demos in the boxset that would sound very close to the finished versions? Like the QSound Versions and rough mixes, or the dats without the pianos on the songs? I don't think so...

exactly that's my point. there are numerous DAT tapes with many various mixes of the songs, but in the end, almost all of them are album versions, just very few alternate takes or at least alternate vocal lines etc. so it's more or less impossible to expand the audio like they did at AFD boxset. 

of course, unless there's a huge surprise and tons of demos, but I don't think that's true.

48 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

Another Worldwide Tour and Retirement. If we get lucky, we'll get a UYI Boxset, but honestly I don't think we will, cause I think the way Axl talks about the Illusion records... It seems like he wasn't satisfied with the final product.

I hope for a UYI box but it'll probably depend most on how the Appetite box sells in the long run. I believe someone said they sold 60% of the big box in presale and I've read quite a few people on Facebook who said they did buy it after they saw other people's sets, so it doesnt sound like it's a total bust. 

31 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

If they did a new album, it would great for them to come full circle and do a stripped down, in your face, balls to the wall hard rock album in the vein of Appetite.  They did the acoustic thing, they evolved with the Illusions epics and Axl did what he did with CD.  A kick ass hard rock album would be the most accepted and what the majority would gravitate to.  10 - 12 songs,  all killer, no filler.. I do really think they need Izzy for some of that Raw energy that they seem to lack without him. That includes Slash's solo work too. 

Agree 100% plus I think a hard rock album would suit Axl more with the vocals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

If they did a new album, it would great for them to come full circle and do a stripped down, in your face, balls to the wall hard rock album in the vein of Appetite.  They did the acoustic thing, they evolved with the Illusions epics and Axl did what he did with CD.  A kick ass hard rock album would be the most accepted and what the majority would gravitate to.  10 - 12 songs,  all killer, no filler.. I do really think they need Izzy for some of that Raw energy that they seem to lack without him. That includes Slash's solo work too. 

I honestly feel if they tried to do an appetite type album they would be criticised for retreading old ground. It could be done well obviously but I doubt that would be the case. 

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

I'd be happy with whatever album they actually want to release. if everyone is on the same page musically, etc. axl said slash and duff liked the rest of chinese, the unreleased material. if that's true, maybe it means they are more open to what axl likes musically now as well. this is why i'm thinking of a more eclectic release where slash and duff will bring more hard rock material, more of the old flavors and axl will surely want more than a couple of epic/ballad type tunes. but again, i'll take anything.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I honestly feel if they tried to do an appetite type album they would be criticised for retreading old ground. It could be done well obviously but I doubt that would be the case. 

They wouldn't. They'll get 7/10 if it's the worst album or the best album of all time. The hype will be too big and nobody would want to call it like it really is. Look at the last Black Sabbath album for example

• Like 2

New music is kind of a no win situation anyways so I just hope they make something that they are all proud of.

Nothing new will compare to AFD and Illusions. That's just human nature.

No big band can ever beat their early work. It's hard to explain why... It just doesn't happen. Probably because they get rich and rich people don't have as much to say that people relate to. 

23 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I kinda agree, I also think they need to keep moving and go somewhere new while still hitting those classic gnr styles. Some sort of a hybrid of everything they done to date seems like the best option. 

I would prefer to hear Axl spit dire for 40-50mins, but I also want to hear some more if his more progressive or ballady tracks

do you remember one year ago when Meegan posted a clip with no sound of duff, Slash and London at soundcheck I'm Hershey?  said there was no sound bc it was new music.  

I think a new album is a no win situation for them.  if they do AFD2 they will get  criticized for releasing more dad Rock.

if they go the ChiDem route they will get criticized for not doing an AFD2.  

and no matter what the album won't sell bc music doesn't sell anymore.  and then people will complain bc GNR shows will have 6 new songs meaning they have to cut some classic songs out (bc we all know you cant cut the seeker from the set list.  or the other 5 covers.....)

but regardless I'm hoping they get a few songs recorded.  hopefully with Izzy being involved in the song writing process.  not holding my breath

Edited by Chester 524
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why do folk think that it’s unlikely there will be new music? Obviously the CD-saga points at a specific issue although there is no lack of material that much we do know.

Also - Tom Zutaut confirmed Slash had added work to Atlas did he not? And Axl has confirmed he has played material to Slash and Duff - with Richard saying bits have been worked on in the studio (albeit it could be him/Dizzy etc). From what I can see there is a great starting point with the existing material which could be revitalised.

I know there have been no official confirmations by the band etc but that’s not to say nothing is actually happening - particularly nowadays where songs can be worked on at different locations and files transferred online!

My bet is that if they are working on a new album, then they will NEVER tell us.  One of Axl’s biggest mistakes was promising CD numerous times and not delivering.  Because of all the talk around it, it became legendary and infamous for years and years prior to release, and it could never live up to the hype.  No way Axl would put himself in that position again.  Nope, if we get a new guns album (and I think we will), they’ll pull a Radiohead (a band Axl has been known to respect), and release it spontaneously.

• Like 4

On 8/4/2018 at 3:35 PM, jacdaniel said:

New music is kind of a no win situation anyways so I just hope they make something that they are all proud of.

Nothing new will compare to AFD and Illusions. That's just human nature.

No big band can ever beat their early work. It's hard to explain why... It just doesn't happen. Probably because they get rich and rich people don't have as much to say that people relate to. 

Usually, but not always the case. Aerosmith had a very successful album with get a grip 20 years after their debut. Aerosmith also scored their first number 1 hit 25 years into their career. It can be done, just isn’t likely.