The future for Guns?

41 minutes ago, papashaun said:

I feel like that's what has happened to Metallica, ever since "Load" came out. The first 4 studio albums were great, then the Black Album was pretty good, but softer....then the wheels came off to the point that they even released an album with a symphony. Most were wondering what happened to the band that they once knew, and just who are these guys with short hair cuts using the Metallica name?

Subjective. Subjective. Subjective.

Most bands evolve and don't keep doing the same thing on each record like, oh I don't know, AC/DC?

Load was more hardrock and some rhythm and blues influences, and they started using more melody. I understand that the average metalhead didn't care for that, but some people started getting into Metallica through those records. Usually when a band evolves they lose some fans, but often they gain a new fanbase too.

Edited by EvanG

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Most bands evolve and don't keep doing the same thing on each record like, oh I don't know, AC/DC?

Load was more hardrock and some rhythm and blues influences, and they started using more melody. I understand that the average metalhead didn't care for that, but some people started getting into Metallica through those records. Usually when a band evolves they lose some fans, but often they gain a new fanbase too.

Indeed. Load and Reload are the only Metallica albums I listen to

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I don't know if it was Metallica "evolving" or just trying to keep up with the trend of the time. I would imagine that most "new" fans they picked up in the 90s was from The Black Album instead of the latter, being that it's the biggest selling album world wide since 1990. Bob Rock also had a lot of influence on their "new" sound after that success as well....

I've always looked at them as changing their look/sound as a way to "fit in" with popular bands/trends of the mid-90s, to keep that cash machine rolling.....like Metallica went from a "band" to a "brand" at that point. You can't blame them for that though, they are not the only band that tried....Motley Crue went as far as to fire Vince Neil, hire John Carobi, and change their sound so drastically that if you just heard the music, you would have no idea it was Motley Crue.  U2's music even completely changed to an extent as well. Plus, Anthrax even left their thrash roots, and hired John Bush as front man for a more "grunge" sound. 

The reason why Metallica changing up is criticized so hard though, is due to the fact that they were the most successful/recognized Metal band, and basically flipped genres. It's hard to imagine if Megadeth, Iron Maiden, or Judas Priest completely abandoned metal to make a hard rock or blues sounding album, and started sporting "Hot Topic" style wear. I believe the reason Metallica returned to a more Metal sound in '08, was due to the fact that they had gotten so side tracked from their roots, and had basically become a totally different band....The last 2 albums are alright, but no where near classics, plus nothing really stands out....You could swap songs from each, and it could fit with either album....as long as you tone down the Rick Rubin loudness of Death Magnetic.  If they "evolved" have the really progressed or improved??? Or are they just going through the motions to keep their name relevant??

• Like 1

4 hours ago, papashaun said:

If they "evolved" have the really progressed or improved???

It's different for everyone. Look at a band like the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Some people prefer their 80s records because they are really funky and weird and that is the sound they prefer. But a lot of people prefer their records from the 2000s because they are a lot more melodic and catchy and you can hear the singer actually sing. But there's no right or wrong, it's a matter of taste.

I don't know. Maybe you're right about Metallica, but it's impossible for me to say. I hope that when musicians evolve and change their sound, it's because it comes naturally to them and not because they want to sell more records or follow a trend. I can't respect that and will have a hard time taking a band seriously if that is the case.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Litti said:

There is no future as long as Axl keeps saying things like "there could be new music somewhere down the line" and "right now were focused on touring"

You got 200 new songs tucked away, just release them.

Geraldo Rivera got a look at Axl's "Vault" of stashed away songs once:

21 minutes ago, Litti said:

There is no future as long as Axl keeps saying things like "there could be new music somewhere down the line" and "right now were focused on touring"

You got 200 new songs tucked away, just release them.

200 songs? Were you hear that?

Just now, Litti said:

I don't know how many he got, but he got many. I was just saying

Fair enough. Its a shame we never get hear nothing from the vault, except songs from 1986-88. CD was not everybody's cup of tea but I'd love to hear the tracks that didn't make the album, can't have just recorded 14 tracks in over 10 years of CD sessions.

Just now, Edward Nigma said:

Fair enough. Its a shame we never get hear nothing from the vault, except songs from 1986-88. CD was not everybody's cup of tea but I'd love to hear the tracks that didn't make the album, can't have just recorded 14 tracks in over 10 years of CD sessions.

you are probably right. there's not much left in the vault from the classic era, probably only a couple of unused UYI sessions tracks, and that's it. no real demos. something like CD boxset it probably a land of fantasy considering the current state of things and I honestly believe there's not really much of stuff at least remotely ready to be released in any way. it's probably a shitload of scratches and ideas, not songs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Edward Nigma said:

How many time we've heard Dizzy or somebody claiming that they got three four albums worth of material ready to go.

They should just confess up and say "no more new music"

• Like 1

Guns won't even give the fans the chance to like/dislike an album though. Is it the purpose of a band to release as perfect album as possible only to close shop because of the apparent danger that they may release a stinker subsequently. Taking this logic to its extreme, all discographies would consist solely of debuts haha. The Stones would have packed it in after ''Route 66'. The Doors would have never made an album again after their eponymous debut.

• Haha 1

Three billion human lives ended on October 30, 1996. The survivors of the nuclear fire called the loss of Slash, Judgment Day. They lived only to face a new nightmare: the war against Team Brazil. The Brazilian nanny who controlled the redhead, Beta, sent two assholes back through time, Doug Goldstein and Fernando. Their mission: to destroy the most dangerous band in the world. The first douche was programmed to strike at me, in the year 1987, before AFD was born. It failed. The second was sent to strike at the redhead. As before, the Resistance was able to send a lone warrior, a protector, Izzy Stradlin'. It was just a question of which one of them would reach him first.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 3

you guys should take note of this tom morello interview and why RATM broke up and how the reunion happened 7 years later.

see what he says about the reunion shows:

We had a great time,” he explained. “We had fun onstage, offstage, playing ping pong, going out, to me it felt like there was a lot of camaraderie, but one of the things we kind of helped that and took off the table was everything that had been controversial before—writing music, doing interviews, having a manager—we’re just not going to do that stuff. We’re just going to play shows and have a nice time and be able to look each other in the eye and have a nice time and not be anything that had stirred controversy in the past.”

this mirrors the guns n roses situation perfectly, if you ask me.

I think that writing songs together and doing interviews (slash + Axl, that is) gives them too much pressure, much like the guys in RATM, but they still have fun together on stage. I can totally see where they're coming from.

come to think of it, there are a lot of similarities between RATM and GNR to begin with. both dangerous bands, band members overflowing with ego, only very few but great albums etc... both having massively anticipated reunion shows

http://www.kerrang.com/video/tom-morello-tells-lars-ulrich-why-rage-against-the-machine-broke-up/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, action said:

you guys should take note of this tom morello interview and why RATM broke up and how the reunion happened 7 years later.

see what he says about the reunion shows:

We had a great time,” he explained. “We had fun onstage, offstage, playing ping pong, going out, to me it felt like there was a lot of camaraderie, but one of the things we kind of helped that and took off the table was everything that had been controversial before—writing music, doing interviews, having a manager—we’re just not going to do that stuff. We’re just going to play shows and have a nice time and be able to look each other in the eye and have a nice time and not be anything that had stirred controversy in the past.”

this mirrors the guns n roses situation perfectly, if you ask me.

I think that writing songs together and doing interviews (slash + Axl, that is) gives them too much pressure, much like the guys in RATM, but they still have fun together on stage. I can totally see where they're coming from.

come to think of it, there are a lot of similarities between RATM and GNR to begin with. both dangerous bands, band members overflowing with ego, only very few but great albums etc... both having massively anticipated reunion shows

http://www.kerrang.com/video/tom-morello-tells-lars-ulrich-why-rage-against-the-machine-broke-up/

Good insight. I think you’re spot on with this excerpt.

• Like 1

Actually, the November shows are to be the last ones of the NITL tour. After a three-month break, a statement appears on the social media (including the Axe-man’s twitter) and the web, saying that after numerous talks etc., the band is headed to the studio to put together what they started already back in 2015/16. In the meantime, for all of you motherfuckers, we will also be releasing a NITL Blu-ray, consisting of 2016–18 shows, including a bonus part containing the whole Troubadour gig. The new record will boast both new material and re-worked stuff from the 90s that didn’t make it to the public due to the old disputes, plus stuff from "ChinDem II" re-recorded solely by the current line-up; of course, we cannot forget the opulent booklet. To be released within about 8 months. One of the possible titles is "Cockroach Soup Down by the Ocean". 
The release will be followed by a world tour coming in early 2020 and including surprise guest appearances by Izzy, Steven, Matt, and Gilby. We will follow the path of Roger Waters and David Gilmour, meaning that the fans won’t know in advance which gigs these guys will appear at. 
Later on, a three-hour UYI Tour backstage video document will be released, containing all the vault stuff. In addition, Axl is going to start looking very seriously at what he can do in terms of his semi-finished biography. 
Brand new merch with low low prices coming as well. 
Oh and by the way, we’ve dealt with the fake copyright cunts, no worries. Feel free to upload that stuff again. 

Holy shit, I feel weird. I’ve just woken up. Was I writing in my sleep again? 

Man I’m bored. It’s really hot here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guys, don’t dramatize situation too much. 3 years ago we couldn’t even possibly imagine GnR reunion, ever the return of Led Zeppelin seemed more likely. 3 years later Axl, Slash and Duff play together Shadow of Your Love and Slither on big-scale gigs. Quiet surreal at some point. So, give them a credit.  

Of course, Tour is the money machine at first and, of course, they want to grab as much as possible. Slash have obligations with SMKC and he’s eager to release the new album, which he started before the reunion. So, basically he have to end it first, including a world tour to promote. I can’t imagine Axl fully working on the new music, while Slash’s playing with MK and it’s understandable - if they will do the new music, they have to do it togeher. Moreover, since Axl’s collaboration with AC/DC was succesfull, and Angus want to produce more music, it’s foolish to decline such offer. So, we have to wait new Axl/DC stuff first too.

So, as Slash’ll finish with the tour, Axl with album and probably some concerts, they’ll start to produce new own stuff. 2021-2022 release seems a safe bet. The new GnR album is a big deal, they won’t just let it go - all we need is just a little patience. And when I see all that negative stuff about the absence of new material, it reminds me of those nonsense fans who say that without Izzy and Steven GnR is dead and reunion doesn’t make sense. One is socially awkward person and other is ex-narc. Just take it. Whatever “the price”, thing are good today and whats more inportaint - things are keep rolling.

So, don’t be mad - one way or another, they’ll end in the studio. They just have to finish the tour and side projects which, basically, doesn’t connected with the fact of the reunion. 

Edited by nikothebellic
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, nikothebellic said:

Guys, don’t dramatize situation too much. 3 years ago we couldn’t even possibly imagine GnR reunion, ever the return of Led Zeppelin seemed more likely. 3 years later Axl, Slash and Duff play together Shadow of Your Love and Slither on big-scale gigs. Quiet surreal at some point. So, give them a credit.  

Of course, Tour is the money machine at first and, of course, they want to grab as much as possible. Slash have obligations with SMKC and he’s eager to release the new album, which he started before the reunion. So, basically he have to end it first, including a world tour to promote. I can’t imagine Axl fully working on the new music, while Slash’s playing with MK and it’s understandable - if they will do the new music, they have to do it togeher. Moreover, since Axl’s collaboration with AC/DC was succesfull, and Angus want to produce more music, it’s foolish to decline such offer. So, we have to wait new Axl/DC stuff first too.

So, as Slash’ll finish with the tour, Axl with album and probably some concerts, they’ll start to produce new own stuff. 2021-2022 release seems a safe bet. The new GnR album is a big deal, they won’t just let it go - all we need is just a little patience. And when I see all that negative stuff about the absence of new material, it reminds me of those nonsense fans who say that without Izzy and Steven GnR is dead and reunion doesn’t make sense. One is socially awkward person and other is ex-narc. Just take it. Whatever “the price”, thing are good today and whats more inportaint - things are keep rolling.

So, don’t be mad - one way or another, they’ll end in the studio. They just have to finish the tour and side projects which, basically, doesn’t connected with the fact of the reunion. 

There are always excuses with Axl. He just doesnt want to release music with GNR anymore

3 hours ago, nikothebellic said:

I hope you're right

Edited by Endless2404