The future for Guns?

The concerts of such a co-headliner tour could be played on two different days. I don't think that Axl is capable of singing two full sets in one night.

Just now, Jordan Rose said:

Gotta agree with Russ, though. If there's no new Guns album then whatever any of them do I won't care much. 

I will go to their concerts anyway. They're always great live.

Edited by Sosso

It's now time for the real reunion tour everyone's been asking for, bringing DJ Fuckin' Ashba back into the fold to perform acoustic sets featuring Paul Tobias on tambourine.  Nobody will remember any of the MTV Unplugged performances after this drops.

:awesomeface:

I expect nothing from Guns in 2018/19.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm sure you were beating the drum for Malcolm, Phil and Brian for years... Definitey not bandwagon jumping 😉

When was the last time a classic band released a good record? Well Black ice is as good as any ACDC album since back in black. Also A different kind of truth is a great rock record... It just didn't gain any traction because radio refuses to play older bands new music.

Most talented member. I'd love to know how you come up with this. A band is a combination of people coming together... It's rarely the input of one person. It wasn't that way with GNR or ACDC. Izzy and Malcolm we're key ingredients, but not the only Key ingredients and that's not trying to finish eithers obvious value / legacy of.

I'm not arguing that a new gnr, or ACDC will blow up and be huge and they'll each have 10 hit singles but in today's industry they'll be big records. Also, any new records from either band are for existing fans, they aren't trying to broaden the net at this point they are just maintaining what they already have... And yes, it's a reason to go back out on the road.... It's no different than it has ever been. Maybe your problem is the business? I'm not really sure what your point is though.

1. If you intended first paragraph to be ironic, then sorry- its not the case... I've declared ACDC a joke the moment they recorded album without Malcolm.

2. I didn't ask for "a good album". I asked about great album... And besides that- what do you mean by "good album"??? How often did you listen to Black Ice past 2015??? Do you see Black Ice as an album that brings anything to ACDC canon??? Do you think some Black Ice song will remain in ACDC setlist in 5 years (assuming they still will be touring)?

3. OK. Lets change "arguably most talented person" to "key ingredient" (although I think its somehow insulting to assume that Izzy was "key ingridient" on the same level as Duff, or that Malcolm was "just a key ingridient"). When last time any band recorded great album without they "key ingredient"??? Van Halen's FUCK is first thing that comes to my mind, and this was in 1991...

4. As you see, my original post was refering to "making impact on history of rock", not on creating media hype. You say its gonna be big- and I already agreed. They're gonna be big purely on strenght of "ACDC" or "Guns N Roses" names... And later, they gonna likely meet the same fate as Chinese Democracy, or Black Ice... Sure, some may like them, but these are not "impactful" albums...

43 minutes ago, acor said:

2. I didn't ask for "a good album". I asked about great album... And besides that- what do you mean by "good album"??? How often did you listen to Black Ice past 2015??? Do you see Black Ice as an album that brings anything to ACDC canon??? Do you think some Black Ice song will remain in ACDC setlist in 5 years (assuming they still will be touring)?

well Rock N Roll Train is a pretty great song

So conflicting.. I think an Axl\DC album could be cool because you know it would be hard rock music and that is really what Axl is best at..

I think I would prefer a new Guns album but I have mixed feelings about that with this lineup.. There are a good amount of songs that I just don't like what Fortus tries to add to.. Hearing him contribute to actual Guns music doesn't excite me.. Never mind the drumming situation. Axl's voice has also changed and was one of the things I didn't care for on some of the CD songs.. 

This band realistically doesn't have more than one album left in them.. If they are going to go fir it, I would like to see them finish what they started and write an album with Izzy and any drummer but Frank.. Adler, Sorum, Brain, Fitz, Josh Freese.. Fucking Tommy lee for god sake.

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

So conflicting.. I think an Axl\DC album could be cool because you know it would be hard rock music and that is really what Axl is best at..

I think I would prefer a new Guns album but I have mixed feelings about that with this lineup.. There are a good amount of songs that I just don't like what Fortus tries to add to.. Hearing him contribute to actual Guns music doesn't excite me.. Never mind the drumming situation. Axl's voice has also changed and was one of the things I didn't care for on some of the CD songs.. 

This band realistically doesn't have more than one album left in them.. If they are going to go fir it, I would like to see them finish what they started and write an album with Izzy and any drummer but Frank.. Adler, Sorum, Brain, Fitz, Josh Freese.. Fucking Tommy lee for god sake.

Not sure why Frank gets so much grief on here? Why do you dislike his playing?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, acor said:

They haven't released a great album since Back in Black. They've had great songs during the Brian era, but most albums just had a few of those and a bunch of filler. It's sad because almost every Bon album was killer from front to back. If Axl is allowed to do more than just sing, he could change that, but it's hard to see that completely happening. 

Edited by GoBucky

27 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

They haven't released a great album since Back in Black. They've had great songs during the Brian era, but most albums just had a few of those and a bunch of filler. It's sad because almost every Bon album was killer from front to back. If Axl is allowed to do more than just sing, he could change that, but it's hard to see that completely happening. 

I don't think that he would have much input in the songwriting department. That's Angus' job. Cliff Williams was in the band for over 3 1/2 decades and he hasn't earned a single songwriting credit during that time.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:47 AM, wrolk said:

I don't see New music in the future ... but who knows? .... Don't think they will sell out BIG Stadiums on a new album ... maybe if izzy and adler joined for

a straight ROCK N ROLL album then a tour ...but no ... Would be cool if axl release the music from the vault but hmmmm 

don't see it happening ..

They are back on top of the world with one of the most successful tours in the history of music. I agree, an album Is going to do nothing for the band financially. I am all for a new album but why release something that probably 90% of your fans are going to end up stealing anyway? I would be content with the band continuing to tour as long as they would be willing to mix up the set a little bit. For instance removing Black Hole Sun and rotating some of the Chinese material with a few Illusion deep cuts. I would think that Axl could easily handle Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession or The Garden at this point. 

On 7/22/2018 at 11:39 AM, RussTCB said:

Here's my prediction and I will be absolutely shocked if anything besides this happens:

Slash will do a solo tour this fall and spring, which I won't care about.

Axl will probably do the AC/DC album and tour next year, which I won't care about.

Duff, Richard, Dizzy, Melissa & Frank will probably do a TON of things, which I won't care about.

In 2019, GN'R will regroup to tour in whatever capacity the interest level will support.  If there's enough interest, they'll do stadiums again. If there's not, they'll do arenas. If there's not enough interest to support that, they'll charge more and do theaters. None of which I will care about. 

I can't ever see a situation where there wouldn't be enough Interest In the current line up to pack arena's. They could probably set up camp In Las Vegas and play the T-Mobile arena for the rest of their lives without releasing another note. 

10 minutes ago, ironmt said:

They could probably set up camp In Las Vegas and play the T-Mobile arena for the rest of their lives without releasing another note. 

But don't tell them that!!!!!! They read this forum! :lol:

In seriousness though, I could see interest drying up if they dont release some new music or at least operate like a normal band in other respects such as doing interviews.

I dunno, maybe I'm a complete moron, but I still believe that one day they'll surprise us and put out new music.

I'm not holding my breath for it or anything, but I probably wouldn't keep sticking around here if I didn't believe new music was ever going to happen.

It's a depressing situation for sure, but I try and stay positive. It's not like GNR are the centre of my musical universe or anything. I'd probably be more hyped for a new GNR album than any other artist or band, but it's out of my hands.

Edited by Towelie

45 minutes ago, ironmt said:

I can't ever see a situation where there wouldn't be enough Interest In the current line up to pack arena's. They could probably set up camp In Las Vegas and play the T-Mobile arena for the rest of their lives without releasing another note. 

They might be able to do that with enough time in between tours but not regularly, IMO. The magic for many, many people was finally getting to see Axl & Slash on stage together. I know of a lot of casual and die hards who sat out the US arena run because they'd already seen what they wanted to see during the stadium version. 

I know this is just one example, but think about this: No one I knew that went to the stadium show in Detroit went to the arena show that follow in the fall of the following year. The only 2 friends of mine that did go went because they couldn't make it to the stadium show the year prior.

I think they still have one album left in them and axl still got unreleased material they can incorporate into the next one. it's not like it's totally over. as always it's up to axl to really go for it. im sure slash and duff will do everything in their power to make it happen. 

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

I don't think that he would have much input in the songwriting department. That's Angus' job. Cliff Williams was in the band for over 3 1/2 decades and he hasn't earned a single songwriting credit during that time.

I would agree, and that's a shame. Even with Malcolm, they released a lot of junk in the last few decades, but without him, that last album was cringeworthy. It would be interesting to see what Axl could add...I'm sure it would lean more towards the Bon style. 

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

They might be able to do that with enough time in between tours but not regularly, IMO. The magic for many, many people was finally getting to see Axl & Slash on stage together. I know of a lot of casual and die hards who sat out the US arena run because they'd already seen what they wanted to see during the stadium version. 

I know this is just one example, but think about this: No one I knew that went to the stadium show in Detroit went to the arena show that follow in the fall of the following year. The only 2 friends of mine that did go went because they couldn't make it to the stadium show the year prior.

This is true, but they still did very well on that arena run. I went to 5 shows on that leg, and Detroit was the only one that wasn't at capacity, and it was still 85-90% full. The majority of the shows on that leg were in cities they already played in stadiums, some twice, and they still packed shows. As long as Axl and Slash are together, they'll do well. They will have to eventually release something, even if it's just a live album, and drop prices a bit, but they'll still draw. I mean Def Leppard and Journey are playing stadiums in some cities. If they can do that, Guns can play arenas. 

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Not sure why Frank gets so much grief on here? Why do you dislike his playing?

It has been discussed over and over and it isn't just on here.. You see the same stuff said on youtube, I have heard other Guns fans talk about it and you even see it posted on the bands FB page.. I just think he is a terrible fit for the band.. His fills are terrible, his tone is terrible, he lacks any groove or swing, and I don't thin the band really thrives while playing in top of him. He is hands down the worst fit of any drummer the band has had.. The chemistry of this lineup is the weakest of any lineup I have followed and in my opinion it starts with him.. 

On 22.7.2018 at 8:30 PM, downzy said:

I've heard there's a lot of activity below the surface.  I don't expect Guns to be done anytime soon, even if there's periods where the public doesn't seem much happening.  

I have this gut feeling, too. 

Do remember that they were able to keep this whole reunion thing top secret til the day the Troubadour show was announced ... NO ONE saw this coming. And this happened in 2016, this means in times when EVERY rumor gets spread over the net within seconds. 

Maybe we will wake up pretty soon and there it is: the new album 

Edited by zigzagbigbag

24 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

I have this gut feeling, too. 

Do remember that they were able to keep this whole reunion thing top secret til the day the Troubadour show was announced ... NO ONE saw this coming. And this happened in 2016, this means in times when EVERY rumor gets spread over the net within seconds. 

Maybe we will wake up pretty soon and there it is: the new album 

There were whispers of a reunion from the non-denials but yes, for the most part, it was something kept under wraps until closer to the first couple of shows.  

I think a good example of how business operates with GNR is the latest AFD release.  Almost no one saw that one coming until the official announcement.  

Guns is an organization that doesn't execute until all its ducks are in a row.  Unfortunately for us fans, this process can take a long time with little to no advance warning.

As a fan of the band, as I've said many times, it is what it is.  We'd all love to see the band operate differently but there's little reason to expect anything different at this point.  If you haven't made your peace yet with who this band is, you'll be continually disappointed and frustrated and should probably follow another band.  

It took me many years to reach acceptance but once there it makes it a whole lot easier to go with the flow.  

• Like 2