The future for Guns?

1 hour ago, GoBucky said:

I would agree, and that's a shame. Even with Malcolm, they released a lot of junk in the last few decades, but without him, that last album was cringeworthy. It would be interesting to see what Axl could add...I'm sure it would lean more towards the Bon style. 

I disagree about Rock Or Bust. It was certainly better than Black Ice, I reckon. Definitely not a second HTH, though.

Edited by Sosso

6 hours ago, acor said:

1. If you intended first paragraph to be ironic, then sorry- its not the case... I've declared ACDC a joke the moment they recorded album without Malcolm.

2. I didn't ask for "a good album". I asked about great album... And besides that- what do you mean by "good album"??? How often did you listen to Black Ice past 2015??? Do you see Black Ice as an album that brings anything to ACDC canon??? Do you think some Black Ice song will remain in ACDC setlist in 5 years (assuming they still will be touring)?

3. OK. Lets change "arguably most talented person" to "key ingredient" (although I think its somehow insulting to assume that Izzy was "key ingridient" on the same level as Duff, or that Malcolm was "just a key ingridient"). When last time any band recorded great album without they "key ingredient"??? Van Halen's FUCK is first thing that comes to my mind, and this was in 1991...

4. As you see, my original post was refering to "making impact on history of rock", not on creating media hype. You say its gonna be big- and I already agreed. They're gonna be big purely on strenght of "ACDC" or "Guns N Roses" names... And later, they gonna likely meet the same fate as Chinese Democracy, or Black Ice... Sure, some may like them, but these are not "impactful" albums...

1. VH released that album in 2012

2. Rock n roll train remains in the set and a crowd favourite from black ice... And black ice was from 2008, their last album was rock or bust. Thought you knew your Acca Dacca? 

Finally I agree, the chances of either band releasing an album that has the impact you're looking for is fairly slim. But come on! Circumstances have changed, neither are the hot young band and even if they did release great albums the result will be the same (hot sales at first and then 5-6 weeks later it's disappeared) How many times have I put on black ice? Here and there, it's not a reflection on the album though I just listen to a lot of music so sometimes things get lost in the shuffle. And yeh, it's not their best record! but good is good enough. Great is back in black or high voltage etc. That's a pretty steep measuring stick, and it's also impossible to top those records.  

46 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I disagree about Rock Or Bust. It was certainly better than Black Ice, I reckon. Definitely not a second HTH, though.

Do you think? I couldn't listen to rock or bust, it just didn't have anything that caught my attention, but Black Ice had at least a handful of great tracks. I loved the title track, great classic AC/DC riff. Undoubtedly they released a few subpar records in the years after BIB though, look no further than stiff upper lip (although I've come around to the title song more recently).

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

1. VH released that album in 2012

2. Rock n roll train remains in the set and a crowd favourite from black ice... And black ice was from 2008, their last album was rock or bust. Thought you knew your Acca Dacca? 

2012- A Different Kind Of Truth

1991- For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...

Yep, my fault for confusing Rock or Bust and Black Ice... Neither album is relevant though, but at least one is ACDC album... 

You confused relevant VH album with irrelevant one, tough...

;)Finally I agree, the chances of either band releasing an album that has the impact you're looking for is fairly slim. But come on! Circumstances have changed, neither are the hot young band and even if they did release great albums the result will be the same (hot sales at first and then 5-6 weeks later it's disappeared) 

Yeah, but I was refering to the post in wich author claimed Axl has a chance to make an impact with new GnR and ACDC albums... And impact (on a rock history) is a pretty strong word...

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

It has been discussed over and over and it isn't just on here.. You see the same stuff said on youtube, I have heard other Guns fans talk about it and you even see it posted on the bands FB page.. I just think he is a terrible fit for the band.. His fills are terrible, his tone is terrible, he lacks any groove or swing, and I don't thin the band really thrives while playing in top of him. He is hands down the worst fit of any drummer the band has had.. The chemistry of this lineup is the weakest of any lineup I have followed and in my opinion it starts with him.. 

Fair enough. To be honest, I’m not a drummer so cant tell the intricacies like I would on guitar and that is probably why I don’t really see any issue.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Do you think? I couldn't listen to rock or bust, it just didn't have anything that caught my attention, but Black Ice had at least a handful of great tracks. I loved the title track, great classic AC/DC riff. Undoubtedly they released a few subpar records in the years after BIB though, look no further than stiff upper lip (although I've come around to the title song more recently).

I agree, I listened to Rock or Bust once, put it away and haven't pulled it out again. Black Ice wasn't an extremely strong album, but I do like a handful of songs on it. Stiff Upper Lip was subpar as well, but I did like quite a bit of Ballbreaker. 

If I were the band this is what I would do:

2019: Slash keeps touring for SMKC3 and Axl/DC does a record and starts touring for that.

2020: Axl/DC keeps touring (farewell tour for Angus, I guess).

2021: UYI anniversary box set with some unheard stuff and the Perfect Crime doc. In addition, the band should launch a new streaming service with HD restorations of all 200+ proshot shows from the UYI tour (this service could be made profitable via ad revenue and subscription deals).

2022: NITL lineup tours again.

2023: start writing a new album with the NITL lineup.

2024: release said new album.

2025: tour again.

2026: keep touring.

2028: CD anniversary box set with all the unreleased songs and alternate takes.

2029: launch a farewell tour with the AFD lineup.

2030: finish farewell tour with a surprise club gig in LA on the 45th anniversary of the band's formation.

none of this will ever happen, but I can dream I guess.

1 hour ago, Creed said:

The only realistic chance for new and unseen old stuff is Axl' death.

You know it. I know it.

Sad but true. Nothing ridiculous about it really. Most likely the only time we'll get the rest of the chinese democracy sessions.

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

They might be able to do that with enough time in between tours but not regularly, IMO. The magic for many, many people was finally getting to see Axl & Slash on stage together. I know of a lot of casual and die hards who sat out the US arena run because they'd already seen what they wanted to see during the stadium version. 

I know this is just one example, but think about this: No one I knew that went to the stadium show in Detroit went to the arena show that follow in the fall of the following year. The only 2 friends of mine that did go went because they couldn't make it to the stadium show the year prior.

You may be right but I still hold the belief that the band would remain a substantial draw without releasing another note, the previous released material from Appetite, lies and the Illusions albums Is just that strong. Yes, Slash and Axl sharing the stage for the first time In 20+ years has a lot to do with It, but we must remember that the band was doing well financially and touring successfully before the reconciliation of the current members. In 2006-2007 they were playing to 10,000-15,000 people per show with one original member(Axl) and no new material. This Is 6 years after a tour started based on an album that still had not been released.  I think they would continue to do just fine playing festivals and booking arena's with the current line up.  Some markets would obviously be hotter than others. 

Edited by ironmt

7 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Fair enough. To be honest, I’m not a drummer so cant tell the intricacies like I would on guitar and that is probably why I don’t really see any issue.

That is the thing.. I am not a drummer either... For me, unless you are Dave Lombardo or Bill Ward I am not really paying attention to what you are doing anyway.... I wouldn't even notice him but he just sticks out like a sore thumb on too many occasions.. Not a good thing.

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

That is the thing.. I am not a drummer either... For me, unless you are Dave Lombardo or Bill Ward I am not really paying attention to what you are doing anyway.... I wouldn't even notice him but he just sticks out like a sore thumb on too many occasions.. Not a good thing.

I might notice it more now 😆. I am a massive Metallica fan and we all know about Lars’ issues nowadays compared to 20 years ago - that much I do know!

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 5:32 AM, DexAxl said:

NEW MUSIC!

For me, that's all I care about. I saw Axl, Slash, Duff and Steven all on stage together back in 2016... I'm good. Only new music at this point will pique my interest.

Edited by Nintari

On 7/22/2018 at 9:01 AM, sidman69 said:

i think guns will tour europe again next sumemr do the metallica thing touring, touring and more touring before maybe writing an album in a few years.

The Metallica thing?  Metallica tour tour tour BUT CONSISTENTLY RELEASE NEW MUSIC.  they dont do "THE METALLICA THING"  I wish they would.

On 7/22/2018 at 10:27 AM, Tucknroll said:

I think it's just a job to them. All they can do is tour the classics without Izzy. Can't write gnr songs without him. My fear is they'll put out some politically charged B.S.  I'd rather them never release a new song than to have that pc crap. 

Even if they did write something political, it's their right.  If they did, President Orange would deserve it. He can dish it out, but  can't take it.  Very much like those that complain about pc. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Guitarist1234 said:

The Metallica thing?  Metallica tour tour tour BUT CONSISTENTLY RELEASE NEW MUSIC.  they dont do "THE METALLICA THING"  I wish they would.

Reload came out in '97. They've released 3 albums since. I wouldn't say they consistently release new music. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Draguns said:

Even if they did write something political, it's their right.  If they did, President Orange would deserve it. He can dish it out, but  can't take it.  Very much like those that complain about pc. 

Guns N' Roses doing a political album wouldn't work.  Even if Trump gets a second term, he'll be out of office long before they get it released anyway.

At least we know now that new music certainly hasn't been discussed yet.

The AFD 5 thing I don't see happening.

Slash is taking a break to do SMKC.

I guess at some point next year they'll have to sit down and discuss were to go next.  Probably more touring.

On 7/24/2018 at 6:41 PM, Draguns said:

I see GNR doing one or two new albums, tour, and then retire. They'll definitely release something. I don't see the three of them wanting TSI to be remembered as their last album together. 

2 albums? 2 albums is a lot. I would be surprised and delighted. very surprised. I don't know if axl is capable of that. also, even just one more guns album is not a sure thing but my guess is axl will at least try to make one with slash, duff, and this line up. I think that if axl thinks it's good enough and it's a finished work, he'll release it.

at best it would probably be an ac/dc and a guns album. 2 albums featuring axl. could be worse, i'll take that if it happens.

axl should probably release a double album with guns.

Edited by Rovim

On 7/24/2018 at 3:33 PM, Guitarist1234 said:

consistently release shit music every 8 years

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sl4yer said:

Hey Death Magnetic and Hardwired weren't that bad 

metallica is over imo, they have nothing to say artistically speaking. they got big with the black album and never made a truly great album ever since. i don't even like the black album but at least it was inspired. death magnetic was a look in the past, a rehash and not as good as the albums it was influenced by which are metallica albums. hardwired is weak and uninspired.

• Like 1