The future for Guns?

The reunion was cool as fuck at the beginning of 2016, but the whole thing has become such a joke to me at this point that I really do not care about the future.

I could deal with late starts, lack of new music, and dark periods (years at a time) when Axl still sounded like Axl Fucking Rose. These days the guy sounds absolutley terrible. Add on top of that the over priced tickets, fake tattoos, GNAir, and what's going on in the fan community, and I can't help but cringe.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, action said:

hitler was very lucky not to have run into him, or there would have been no third reich.

Was your grandpa an officer or an enlisted man? I know the British required all officers to wear stashes in WWI not sure where you are from tho.

Edited by Fashionista

3 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Was your grandpa an officer or an enlisted man? I know the British required all officers to wear stashes in WWI not sure where you are from tho.

Belgian army. I have tracked down my great grand father's war file, and I have discovered that he was a genie soldier of the 2nd genie regiment. He helped defend Antwerp in 1914, when germany invaded Belgium. He was involved with the defence of duffel, which took quite the bombardment. Then from october 1914 he was transfered to the belgian reserve corps in Gravelines, from where he was sent to the front from time to time (Ypres). He was rewarded the belgian war cross for long duty at the front, with a distinction for "courage and self-sacrifice".

He never spoke of his time during the war to the family. It's only recently that I looked up his file and could share all this information with my family.

Knowing what he went through, it makes me evaluate my own situation whenever I doubt myself. If my great grand father could face the german war machine, then I can also face my own challenges. I am proud of him and everyone else who helped to defend our freedom against the german invader.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I saw the 2nd gig in London last summer and have to say it was tremendous. Axls voice was absolutely fine then - has it really deteriorated THAT bad?

If so, then clearly needs a break - singing like him on a tour like that is going to be tough on anyone. I know he is carrying weight which won’t help but he is in his mid-fifties!

I have viewed this website on and off for years but only registered relatively recently. For the most part, people seem to be like-minded but have to say the infighting, criticism of all things GNR etc is quite a surprise - some is valid but a lot appears to be borne of some personal issue!

I have been registered on the Metallica forum for years and find it really easy going with little aggro - not sure why that’s different here (maybe because it’s got official links).

One thing we can surely all agree on is new music would be welcomed? If Axls voice has changed then so be it - no singer from his generation sounds the same (Hetfield/Dickinson/Tate/Halford being some examples).

Edited by DTJ80

If Axl can record with AC/DC than obviously he can still sing/record. That's always been my theory why he's hesitant to commit to new music and uses decades old vocal tracks. 

But maybe they enjoy hanging out and playing shows together more than writing together. They all have their other outlets to make music that shouldn't result in them fighting with each other, if that's still a possibility. 

How u can tell he cannot sing only because he sings certain songs without rasp? 2016 he had something to prove so he used rasp but now no and he will start to singing like in 2016 with ACDC. What we got now is just standard, he was singing like this in 2011,12,13,14,17,18. First 2018 show was terrible, but second half of this leg was pretty solid. We've got nothing to worry about him. 

For the billionth time, one has to distinguish between the middle position where Axl obviously won’t/can’t do the rasp any longer and the high/power position where he usually does that, which is why most of the AC/DC material was Brian Johnson’s stuff. I believe all he needs is a larger break; god knows what he was doing during the first half of 2018.

Secondly, they may not be necessarily hesitant to put out any new music, but they have been TOURING all the time; therefore, it’s not a big mystery why they haven’t done that yet: no time! See the big picture yet? I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for some to see.

6 hours ago, jamillos said:

For the billionth time, one has to distinguish between the middle position where Axl obviously won’t/can’t do the rasp any longer and the high/power position where he usually does that, which is why most of the AC/DC material was Brian Johnson’s stuff. I believe all he needs is a larger break; god knows what he was doing during the first half of 2018.

Secondly, they may not be necessarily hesitant to put out any new music, but they have been TOURING all the time; therefore, it’s not a big mystery why they haven’t done that yet: no time! See the big picture yet? I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for some to see.

You realize that bands record while in tour right?

Also, I'd be willing to bet that these guys probably didn't see much of each other during their break at the end of 2017.

Justify the lack of new music all you want, but I disagree.

Slash and Duff have an amazing track record when it comes to making new music. The lazy fuck of a singer, does not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

You realize that bands record while in tour right?

Also, I'd be willing to bet that these guys probably didn't see much of each other during their break at the end of 2017.

Justify the lack of new music all you want, but I disagree.

Slash and Duff have an amazing track record when it comes to making new music. The lazy fuck of a singer, does not.

Maybe, but if you have like three shows a week, with all the travelling etc., there’s no way. Illusions had been vastly made prior to the tour as well, remember? I just think this is a too big of a band to just whip it up like this. And yes, I believe they had some time off, too. After all, they have lives, families...

Just now, jamillos said:

Maybe, but if you have like three shows a week, with all the travelling etc., there’s no way. Illusions had been vastly made prior to the tour as well, remember? I just think this is a too big of a band to just whip it up like this. And yes, I believe they had some time off, too. After all, they have lives, families...

Oh absolutely! Family life is obviously important.

I will disagree with not being able to whip it up though. Axl even stated Slash and Duff listened to music Axl has already created. I doubt it would be hard for those guys to lay their tracks down on music that is already in the bag.

That was 2 years ago.

2 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Oh absolutely! Family life is obviously important.

I will disagree with not being able to whip it up though. Axl even stated Slash and Duff listened to music Axl has already created. I doubt it would be hard for those guys to lay their tracks down on music that is already in the bag.

That was 2 years ago.

I believe that too. However, I would like the "new album" to contain not only Axl’s drawer stuff with Slash’s & Duff’s work but also some new tunes they will have put together within the Reunion framework (plus possibly something they did in the 90s).

We’ll see. If nothing happens in 2019, or if all we get is just the same tour with the same playlist + one extra old song and another cover, I probably will jump on the cuss bandwagon too.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR, WHEN IT COMES TO NEW MUSIC!!

I'll use a couple of movie franchises as to why "new" material should not always be released:

I read a lot of people in this topic referring to Metallica being able to release new material/staying active.....anyone remember the "Saw" move franchise? Remember how the first movie was a great psychological thriller, the second one decent....then all the wheels fell off, and there was like 8 or 9 Saw movies total released, that gradually got worse and worse each time??? I feel like that's what has happened to Metallica, ever since "Load" came out. The first 4 studio albums were great, then the Black Album was pretty good, but softer....then the wheels came off to the point that they even released an album with a symphony. Most were wondering what happened to the band that they once knew, and just who are these guys with short hair cuts using the Metallica name?

Then there's GnR:

I compare the first 3 "full" studio albums  (AFD, UYI 1 &2)  to the Indiana Jones original trilogy. Raiders, Temple of Doom, and Last Crusade are all timeless classics that everyone loves to watch....Then for some reason in the mid-2000s, Speilberg decided to make "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," after pressure from his kids, and needless to say, what a disappointment!! One of the movies you wish you could un-watch, and forget from memory that is was released.....Kind of like "Chinese Democracy" around that same time period. (LOL--just kidding) But, you get the point, Chinese was alright,  just wasn't quite on par with the previous releases, and really should have been released as Axl's solo album.

So, in summary, I'm not necessarily a big proponent of releasing a whole new album, just for these reasons...I would be satisfied with 3-4 good tracks from the reunited crew in an EP of some sort, but fear what an 11-12 track album might actually sound like....could be as bad as Aerosmith's last studio album a few years back. 

12 minutes ago, papashaun said:

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR, WHEN IT COMES TO NEW MUSIC!!

I'll use a couple of movie franchises as to why "new" material should not always be released:

I read a lot of people in this topic referring to Metallica being able to release new material/staying active.....anyone remember the "Saw" move franchise? Remember how the first movie was a great psychological thriller, the second one decent....then all the wheels fell off, and there was like 8 or 9 Saw movies total released, that gradually got worse and worse each time??? I feel like that's what has happened to Metallica, ever since "Load" came out. The first 4 studio albums were great, then the Black Album was pretty good, but softer....then the wheels came off to the point that they even released an album with a symphony. Most were wondering what happened to the band that they once knew, and just who are these guys with short hair cuts using the Metallica name?

Then there's GnR:

I compare the first 3 "full" studio albums  (AFD, UYI 1 &2)  to the Indiana Jones original trilogy. Raiders, Temple of Doom, and Last Crusade are all timeless classics that everyone loves to watch....Then for some reason in the mid-2000s, Speilberg decided to make "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," after pressure from his kids, and needless to say, what a disappointment!! One of the movies you wish you could un-watch, and forget from memory that is was released.....Kind of like "Chinese Democracy" around that same time period. (LOL--just kidding) But, you get the point, Chinese was alright,  just wasn't quite on par with the previous releases, and really should have been released as Axl's solo album.

So, in summary, I'm not necessarily a big proponent of releasing a whole new album, just for these reasons...I would be satisfied with 3-4 good tracks from the reunited crew in an EP of some sort, but fear what an 11-12 track album might actually sound like....could be as bad as Aerosmith's last studio album a few years back. 

Those last two Metallica albums, 2008's Death Magnetic and 2016's Hardwired, had their fans. 

• Like 1