What is the most underrated Stones record?

Fashionista

What is the most underrated Stones record?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So for the yankee Aftermath you lose ''Out of Time'', Mother's Little Helper, Take It Or Leave it and What to Do and receive Paint it Black in return? As much as I like Paint it Black it does not seem a very good deal, does it? 

Listening to it now and don't know what the hell Len is on about about tracks 10-14. ''It's Not Easy'' is top notch and I love the Beach Boys-esque harmonies on ''What to Do''. ''Take It Or Leave It'' is a shameless Beatles rip mind but I still like that. The whole thing, the final few tracks on Aftermath, has a delightful '60s quality, full of gorgeous harmonies and interesting jangly chord changes. Everything sounds fresh and vibrant.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:42 AM, Len Cnut said:

I always thought it was a parody of those 1950s BBC public service thingies.

Ever heard this? As a blues fan you might like it. Recorded in June '68 during the BB sessions. Keith on guitar, Brian on slide guitar:

Edited by Fashionista

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I enjoyed that very greatly, thank you sir.

If Brian had it together like that everyday he could've remained in the band and maybe been alive. Their rendition of Still A Fool sounds like it could fit on Exile. I've never cared much for Mick Taylor. A great guitarist but not a musician and an incredibly boring personality who never struck me as a real Stone in attitude, or like he was ever fully committed to the band. He's on record saying he only planned on staying with them a few years too....

Taylor elevated that band to dizzying heights. I mean,

PS

What the heck is this?

Is this Jagger whose idea of a ''day's graft'' is shagging a 6ft 6 model (or two) in a penthouse suite, following a day sipping champagne at Lord's?

Edited by DieselDaisy

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Taylor elevated that band to dizzying heights. I mean,

PS

What the heck is this?

Is this Jagger whose idea of a ''day's graft'' is shagging a 6ft 6 model (or two) in a penthouse suite, following a day sipping champagne at Lord's?

All depends on the models demands...a day at Lords seems pretty fuckin' taxing to me, no wonder they all sit around getting pissed.  So you'd have Taylor over Brian then? 

9 hours ago, Fashionista said:

If Brian had it together like that everyday he could've remained in the band and maybe been alive. Their rendition of Still A Fool sounds like it could fit on Exile. I've never cared much for Mick Taylor. A great guitarist but not a musician and an incredibly boring personality who never struck me as a real Stone in attitude, or like he was ever fully committed to the band. He's on record saying he only planned on staying with them a few years too....

I think they were both great for what they did.  They were bringing different things to the band I feel.  The only thing I can say is that...Brians inventiveness, it seems, is a well that had to run dry at some point, it was just so cool, the little touches, I don't think anybody can keep comin' up with such out of the box touches for any long term thing though I do think drugs killed it long before its natural death, whereas Taylor had a grounding in a particular groove to where you feel like if he got up and joined The Stones again today he could probably do what he did back then all over again.  I love em both though, I think they were essential for their eras.  I mean, to say I don't care for Mick Taylor would mean I have a problem with all their guitar work, or most of it, during their golden period in the 70s.  And to say I didn't like Brians or didn't care for his would mean I thought the stuff that made them was lacking on some level, which it certainly wasn't, that was the shit that got me into The Stones. 

I will say this though, musically, Brian had as much blues in his bones as Keith and Mick, perhaps more, he really understood, even that early on, about 'the gaps', the air between the notes, the breathing space, all the stuff that Keith has started to speak about since the 90s onwards when discussing the blues, you can hear it more in Brians guitarwork than anybody elses, Brian was a little Cheltenham Elmore James with a funny haircut.  He was just a generally cool character, looked like a fop, talked like a grammar school boy, played like a black man from Mississippi raised in Chicago, he was kind of a one off. 

Brian was undeniably more a ''Stone'' and left far more of his DNA in among that band, but with Taylor it was a bit like throwing Hendrix or Santana into The Stones, ''just to see what happens?'' The Stones have simply never had a guitarist like him: Mick Taylor was more Jazz/Latin and free-flowing, less staccato - Taylor's grounding is the blues also but it is a different sort of blues from Keith and Brian's, more Albert King.

You only hear part of the story on the studio albums. It is the bootlegs from that era in which you best see the magical synergy of having someone like that in the band.  

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Brian was undeniably more a ''Stone'' and left far more of his DNA in among that band, but with Taylor it was a bit like throwing Hendrix or Santana into The Stones, ''just to see what happens?'' The Stones have simply never had a guitarist like him: Mick Taylor was more Jazz/Latin and free-flowing, less staccato - Taylor's grounding is the blues also but it is a different sort of blues from Keith and Brian's, more Albert King.

You only hear part of the story on the studio albums. It is the bootlegs from that era in which you best see the magical synergy of having someone like that in the band.  

What are the best Stones bootlegs to get on, for someone who ain’t heard any?

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

What are the best Stones bootlegs to get on, for someone who ain’t heard any?

The three classic bootlegs are,

Live'r Than You'll Ever Be (Oakland, California 1969)

Get Your Leeds Lungs Out (1971)

The Brussels Affair (1973) - this was released officially (2011) although it is largely from the late show, the bootleg being the early show.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The three classic bootlegs are,

Live'r Than You'll Ever Be (Oakland, California 1969)

Get Your Leeds Lungs Out (1971)

The Brussels Affair (1973) - this was released officially (2011) although it is largely from the late show, the bootleg being the early show.

No i mean like studio stuff, stuff i wouldnt have heard otherwise, like what Fashionista posted up there.

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

No i mean like studio stuff, stuff i wouldnt have heard otherwise, like what Fashionista posted up there.

Get the Black Box. 

It was based on some Anthology thing that Wyman was planning that got canned. Then the bootleggers stepped in. It basically gives you it all. 

PS

This is what I have, the six disc Genuine Black Box,

https://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/rolling-stones-genuine-black-box-1961-1974-[sbd]-439033.html

Flac. Use the second lot of ''mirror'' links. Unfortunately disc 3 appears to be missing but you'll be able to find it somewhere else.

This is the contents,

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/boot_stones_gbb1.html

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Get the Black Box. 

It was based on some Anthology thing that Wyman was planning that got canned. Then the bootleggers stepped in. It basically gives you it all. 

PS

This is what I have, the six disc Genuine Black Box,

https://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/rolling-stones-genuine-black-box-1961-1974-[sbd]-439033.html

Flac. Use the second lot of ''mirror'' links. Unfortunately disc 3 appears to be missing but you'll be able to find it somewhere else.

This is the contents,

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/boot_stones_gbb1.html

Been listening to this today.  Its amazing how good they sound when their songs are in their rudimentary stages or like...a less produced and coarser.  I wouldn't get into betters or worsts arguments but its an amazing listen! 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Been listening to this today.  Its amazing how good they sound when their songs are in their rudimentary stages or like...a less produced and coarser.  I wouldn't get into betters or worsts arguments but its an amazing listen! 

Listen to ''I Don't Know Why'', (which was released officially as a b-side, then on Metamorphosis). You should find it on disc 4. A Stevie Wonder cover, it was recorded during the ''Let it Bleed'' sessions. The infamous ''Cocksucker Blues'' should be on there somewhere also.

Metamorphosis is worth having actually. Just filch it. The band would approve as it is a Klein release. 

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Listen to ''I Don't Know Why'', (which was released officially as a b-side, then on Metamorphosis). You should find it on disc 4. A Stevie Wonder cover, it was recorded during the ''Let it Bleed'' sessions. The infamous ''Cocksucker Blues'' should be on there somewhere also.

Metamorphosis is worth having actually. Just filch it. The band would approve as it is a Klein release. 

The Cocksucker Blues I prefer is the slower one, which I don't think is on this.

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The Cocksucker Blues I prefer is the slower one, which I don't think is on this.

Thus making an idiot out of me (that everything is on there).

You have the Exile two-disc re-release, haven't you? That is worth having - that drunken version of ''Loving Cup'' is on The Black Box I think. ''Plundered My Soul'' and ''Pass the Wine'' are exceptional. These were basically new (to fans) when they came out.   

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Thus making an idiot out of me (that everything is on there).

You have the Exile two-disc re-release, haven't you? That is worth having - that drunken version of ''Loving Cup'' is on The Black Box I think. ''Plundered My Soul'' and ''Pass the Wine'' are exceptional. These were basically new (to fans) when they came out.   

Yeah i got that on CD in my car.  I’m not a big one for modern day vocals on old tracks though and I believe at least one of them is a case of that aint it?  Its sort of like those bits of Good the Bad and The Ugly directors cut where they’ve redubbed the new parts with 70 yr old Clint and Eli Wallach.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Yeah i got that on CD in my car.  I’m not a big one for modern day vocals on old tracks though and I believe at least one of them is a case of that aint it?  Its sort of like those bits of Good the Bad and The Ugly directors cut where they’ve redubbed the new parts with 70 yr old Clint and Eli Wallach.

''Good Time Woman'' and ''Soul Survivor'' are undoctored''. "I'm Not Signifying" has an original Jagger vocal. The rest have new vocals, production, and new backing vocals by Lisa Fischer etc. Mick Taylor recorded a new guitar part for ''Plundered My Soul''. 

The whole disc is a mess really. I mean Title 5 is from 1967! ''Loving Cup'' is from 1969. 

But christ, I love ''Plundered My Soul'' and ''Pass the Wine''. 

Liver Than You'll Ever Be (Oakland, 1969)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/1xy9ct5bdm6v/n/1969_11_09_1st_OBR_305-CD-

Brussels '73 (1st show).  

http://www.filefactory.com/file/1rzm6ve0ypxx

The Leeds '71 show was released officially as part of the Sticky Fingers deluxe. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Good Time Woman'' and ''Soul Survivor'' are undoctored''. "I'm Not Signifying" has an original Jagger vocal. The rest have new vocals, production, and new backing vocals by Lisa Fischer etc. Mick Taylor recorded a new guitar part for ''Plundered My Soul''. 

The whole disc is a mess really. I mean Title 5 is from 1967! ''Loving Cup'' is from 1969. 

But christ, I love ''Plundered My Soul'' and ''Pass the Wine''. 

They must have so much shit in the vault, why stick out stuff you've got to doctor?

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Liver Than You'll Ever Be (Oakland, 1969)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/1xy9ct5bdm6v/n/1969_11_09_1st_OBR_305-CD-

Brussels '73 (1st show).  

http://www.filefactory.com/file/1rzm6ve0ypxx

The Leeds '71 show was released officially as part of the Sticky Fingers deluxe. 

I’ve never been a big one for live albums, unless its like monumental stuff like The Who at Leeds or it was just artists that there was fuck all else of theirs available of them so i copped a bit of live stuff.  Only because a live experience to me is like, 90% of it is being at the gig.

Its a weird mish mash of live stuff I’ve heard, a lot of Pistols, Who, Johnny Thunders, The Doors.  But i never got the idea of live bootlegs of entire fuckin tours, I mean its more or less the same fuckin’ songs over and over innit?

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I’ve never been a big one for live albums, unless its like monumental stuff like The Who at Leeds or it was just artists that there was fuck all else of theirs available of them so i copped a bit of live stuff.  Only because a live experience to me is like, 90% of it is being at the gig.

Its a weird mish mash of live stuff I’ve heard, a lot of Pistols, Who, Johnny Thunders, The Doors.  But i never got the idea of live bootlegs of entire fuckin tours, I mean its more or less the same fuckin’ songs over and over innit?

You've never heard The Rolling Stones until you've heard those three.

• GNFNR 1