Dream Setlist for Not In This Lifetime Tour (You may add 1-2 New Songs)

I was looking for a some kind of thread, but didn't find so started this one. And I think a pretty interesting one. Overall, I like NITL Tour setlists, however, I was a little bit pissed off that they've played 5 last EU gigs with the exact the same (Duff's spot doesn't count). Moreover, GnR setlists during NITL are widely discussed and often critisized, so I decided to create my own and offer you to do the same. I always wondered is it possible to create a set which suits the band and the fans as well?

So, firstly, the rules you should obey while creating - for a consistency, all's sake and a better thread experience:
1. You can include songs only played during NITL - I think that's a fair assumption. So, don't just put the whole AFD into the set or some really deeeeeep cuts.  
2. Make your setlist realistic - take into the considiration that some songs suits better at the beginning, some - at the end. And what's more importaint, you have to think about Axl's voice - he need a rest sometimes. More often than you think - for example long solos in RQ, DTJ, KOHD and some shorter in Estranged and WTTJ are used with this purpose. 
3. Okay, you can add a ONE or TWO new songs (mostly, because I want to add some not from NITL), but do it gentle - yet again, no unrealistic choices or rarely played things. To look through the band's soundchecks is a smart move. You can add some solo parts for others also - that's more realistic in this case. Still, keep point # 1 in mind. 

Here's my choice and and comments on key moments.

1.     Chinese Democracy
2.     It’s So Easy
3.     Mr. Brownstone
4.     Welcome to the Jungle
5.     Double Talkin’ Jive
6.     Slash Guitar Solo
7.     Sweet Child O’Mine
8.     Yesterday/Used to Love Her
9.     Attitude/New Rose (Duff)
10.   Estranged
11.   Live and Let Die
12.   Better/Sorry
13.   Shadow of Your Love
14.   Barracuda/I love Rock N’ Roll (Melissa)
15.   You Could Be Mine (Drum Solo Intro)
16.   This I Love
17.   Civil War (Voodoo Child Intro)
18.   Wish You Were Here (Slash and 4tus)
19.   November Rain (Layla Intro)
20.   Introductions/Godfather Theme (Slash)
21.   Rocket Queen
22.   My Michelle/Out ta Get Me
23.   Whole Lotta Rosie
24.   Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door (Only Women Bleed Intro)
25.   Nightrain

ENCORE
26.   Patience (with Melissa intro)
27.   Madagascar/Cather in the Rye/There Was a Time
28.   Don’t Cry (with intro)
29.   The Seeker
30.   Paradise City

1. I think to start with CD is a better idea, cause the song has a long and memorable opening riff, so it suits "the grand opening". 
2. As you may notice I put SCOM earlier in the set. Yes, I did. And with a purpose. I think that with SCOM Axl fails to perform properly, as he doesn't have enough power at this point of the show - that's why raspy-essential WTTJ, ISE and CD are put at the beginning. Also, in 06' tour, when SCOD was performed raspier, it was 6th on the set. Plus, if you listen closer to Troubadour and Coachella performances, there are some little notes of rasp - and the song was played earlier. So, in this set, firstly we have Slash's DTJ solo, that it smoothly goes into his own solo (Johnny B. Goode, Lara's Theme, whatever) and then (as Axl had a long rest) into SCOM. 
3. Another radical addition is Melissa's solo spot. I know, there are different opinions on her presence and her role, but for me she's completely OK and as Axl's need temporary rest, why don't to put an another solo spot? I know, there are too much of them already, but don't it be better to listen energy-driven Heart or Arrows cover rather than mood-killing Wichita Lineman? And Barracuda and ILRNR is just for and example - Crazy on You and other stuff also fits. Melissa's vocal have been proven decent and I think she earned her chance. Slash has solo part. Duff has. Fortus has. Dizzy has. Why not?
4. ... yes, Frank does not have solo and here I'm more trivial and won't go agianst common opinion. Have nothing against Frank really, but also I have nothing with drum's solo. Cool, but not my kinda of thing. However, You could be Mine has a classical drum opening, so, why not give a Frank a tiny spot before? Just a minute or less. Just for fairness and, yet again, extra time for Axl. 
5. In this list, band introductions come after November Rain and it matches perfectly for mee too - as the piano comes down, Axl introduces others. In recent years, "a piano opening" for BHS was played during this, but as I dropped the song, think some small talk will be logical. 
6. In this version Slash solo smoothly becomes Rocket Queen - even song's opening riff have some similarities for Slash's ending, so I think it fits too. Later we have My Michelle or OTGM and WLR - suppose better choices for a rock-concert preak time rather than Wichita Lineman and Used to Love Her.
7. The encore is quite familiar but with alternative slot. And of course, with intros - for the same reason as before (also, I like intros, anyway).
8. Finally, I dropped Coma, Black Hole Sun, Wichita Lineman and did not mention Prostitute. I know, there are many fans of Coma, but I just can't get keen on this song - long, with similar parts and not much action. It has some pretty decent riff and lyrics, but still, couldn't find the place in the set. However, it can be still put at her spot after Civil War, for instance. As well as BHS after November Rain. And of course, Prostitute after... well, somewhere at the first part of the set or as an encore alternative. Wichita - please, if they want. After all, there should be some surprises and varities in set with "alternative slots".  

Well, why do I think that this set is better, than existing? Well,
1. It has several alternatives and makes gig more unpredictable. Especially on the encore - they can choose even without particular order. And GnR was bitched many times for standartisized setlists, so here is the solution and Coma and BHS as additions at good days for true fans.  
2. It's more balanced - high-octane songs rotate with calm and latter at the show there is no such a long part with solos and mood-killing songs, as, basically, Slash's solo spot is divided parts and 3 real rock songs put in a row before the final blasts.
3. It's better fo Axl - here he has max of 4 songs in a row (in real life at the middle of the show he performs 7). Still, Inglewood 2017 shows that he's capable of going beyond his limits, but I suppose, not in the long run. 

What was the ultimate solution? I divided Slash's solo and added Melissa's part. And advice to do the same for GnR - at least one of two things. For example, The Stones setlist this year is representative - they have a steady setlist, but 5 alternative spots (3 - for Mick, 2 - for Keith). That allows to play deep cuts on almost every show. A wise move. 

I'm done.

So, what's you thoughts on these set and do you have own ideas? Should be set longer or shorter, maybe other closers or openers? If GnR don't want to rotate, let's do this by ourselves!  

Edited by nikothebellic

Just now, nikothebellic said:

Are there some? Maybe just searched not deep enough. Still, one more, one less. Anyway, wanted to seam out.  

I don't want to overstate this, but I believe there have been roughly one billion setlist threads on this board over the years lol. 

Either way, I'm sure some users will be happy to discuss again :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Opening with CD in a reunion tour is stupid IMO.

And also, the NITL setlist is pretty much perfect as it is now. Maybe remove some covers and add more UYI deepcuts, but apparently those covers are the ones they enjoy playing the most.

But answering to the “dream” part, I’d love a 2hour 30 show with no bullshit (covers, solo spots, etc). Maybe have 1, 2 songs from TSI (Down on the Farm?), more UYI deepcuts (Locomotive, PTU, Dead Horse, Bad Obsession), add You’re Crazy acoustic and maybe Think About You from AFD. And from CD remove This I Cringe and only have Better, Madagascar and TWAT. And have Prostitute/SOD/Shackler’s on rotation

Edited by GNRfanMILO

8 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I would have laughed my ass off if they had opened with CD

I would have taken the quickest piss break ever lol...

What is the point of a dream set list if you have to only pick from songs they played this tour?  Everyone's list will pretty much look like the all the rest of the NILT shows.. Like yours does haha.  All I would be doing is taking songs out Like This I love, Prostitute, Catcher, There Was A Tome, Sorry, Madagascar, Better, Chinese Democracy, Black Hole Sun and Wish You Were Here...

6 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would have taken the quickest piss break ever lol...

What is the point of a dream set list if you have to only pick from songs they played this tour?  Everyone's list will pretty much look like the all the rest of the NILT shows.. Like yours does haha.  All I would be doing is taking songs out Like This I love, Prostitute, Catcher, There Was A Tome, Sorry, Madagascar, Better, Chinese Democracy, Black Hole Sun and Wish You Were Here...

Haha, and that's why it's called "dream setlist NITL". Just wondered are there any fan's ideas within the existing songs, cause they started with performing 22-25, and now does 30-33. And obviously, North American Tour 2016 with 23-25 was a highlight. After all, maybe someone wants shorter/longer set, different order or something. If we took into considiration all of the songs, there would be too many opinions on that. After all you can add one song. Personally. I thought a lot about this stuff. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

the current Setlist is perfect but Estranged MUST be played at the encore.

Refreshing. Just like in old times, hah. Bringa back 92’ set!

33 minutes ago, Dean said:

Preferably a 3 hour jam featuring a 30 minute vocal improv from Melissa Reese then finishing off with I.R.S.

That’s not a Pink Floyd show!

Edited by nikothebellic
  • GNFNR 1

Since I only like the 1-2 new songs part of your question I'm gonna go with that.  The 2 new songs I'd want played are:

1. Locomotive
  2. Dead Horse
  3. Honorable Mention - Don't Damn Me.  Never played live.  Let's hear it!

Nightrain

Shadow of Your Love

Welcome to the Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr Brownstone

Chinese Democracy

Live and Let Die

Slither

Out Ta Get Me

Rocket Queen

Attitude/etc.

I.R.S.

Bad Obsession

You Could Be Mine

Don't Cry

Locomotive (Axl & Melissa harmonize lead vocals)

Madagascar

November Rain

The Garden

Civil War

SCOM/Slash solo

Encore #1:

You Ain't The First

Wichita Lineman

Patience

Knockin on Heavens Door

Encore #2:

My Michelle

The Seeker

Paradise City

• GNFNR 1

Did one of these yesterday for an AFD 5 Reunion.

Also it's a dream setlist for NITL. A NITL dream would be an AFD 5 reunion with AFD played through top to bottom ;)

See what I did there?

But in all seriousness:

1. Shadow Of Your Love (wake up its time to play version)

2. Mr. Brownstone

3. Better

4. Chinese Democracy

5. It's So Easy

6. Nightrain

7. Slash Solo

8. Sweet Child O Mine

9. Sither

10. Welcome To The Jungle

11. Out Ta Get Me

12. You Could Be Mine

13. Civil War

14. Coma

15. Live And Let Die

16. Don't Cry

17. November Rain

18. Madagascar or This I Love

19. Used To Love Her

20. My Michelle

21. Rocket Queen

Encore:

22. Patience

23. Estranged

[optional] Wish You Were Here with Izzy and Steven's AFD skulls displayed on the videoboards

24. Paradise City

All NITL songs

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Nightrain

Shadow of Your Love

Welcome to the Jungle

It's So Easy

Mr Brownstone

Chinese Democracy

Live and Let Die

Slither

Out Ta Get Me

Rocket Queen

Attitude/etc.

I.R.S.

Bad Obsession

You Could Be Mine

Don't Cry

Locomotive (Axl & Melissa harmonize lead vocals)

Madagascar

November Rain

The Garden

Civil War

SCOM/Slash solo

Encore #1:

You Ain't The First

Wichita Lineman

Patience

Knockin on Heavens Door

Encore #2:

My Michelle

The Seeker

Paradise City

That’s what I’m talkin’ about! 2 encores, wow, hard to expect from them such a charity, though. 

26 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

Songs i want to hear live now

1. Riad N The Bedouins

2.Locomotive

Yes I'd love to hear Riad and I don't understand why so many people hate this song

Seems many’re seekin’ for Locomotive! They could rotate it with Coma - that would make sense. Especially, as both somgs were rarely played in 90s. 

I would keep the current setlist but take out Black Hole Sun, Wichita Lineman, WYWH and The Seeker and include My Michelle, Pretty Tied Up, The Garden and Bad Obsessions.

Also Duff spot would include So Fine + a Spaghetti Song (Raw Power, Attitude or New Rose with You cant put your arms as intro).

Also the 4 CD songs would be: Chinese, Better, Sorry and Madagascar.

1. Perfect Crime

2. Mr. Brownstone

3. Live and Let Die

4. Bad Obsession

5. Double Talkin’ Jive

6. Civil War

7. It’s So Easy

8. Welcome to the Jungle

9. Patience

10. Another brick in the Wall

11. November Rain

12. Out Ta Get Me

13. My Michelle

14. Chinese Democracy

15. Madagascar 

16. Don’t Cry

17. Estranged

18. Better

19. Nightrain

Encore:

20. Sorry

21. The Seeker

22. Shadow of your Love

23. Slither

24. Paradise City

22 hours ago, nikothebellic said:

Haha, and that's why it's called "dream setlist NITL". Just wondered are there any fan's ideas within the existing songs, cause they started with performing 22-25, and now does 30-33. And obviously, North American Tour 2016 with 23-25 was a highlight. After all, maybe someone wants shorter/longer set, different order or something. If we took into considiration all of the songs, there would be too many opinions on that. After all you can add one song. Personally. I thought a lot about this stuff. 

ok, I'll play ;) 

Something like this.. Not my "Dream Set" but I am playing by the OP rules and it would kick ass...

1.     Welcome to the Jungle 
2.     Mr. Brownstone
3.     Live and Let Die
4.     It's So Easy
5.     Shadow of Your Love
6.     Double Talkin’ Jive
7.     Civil War 
8.     Used to Love Her
9.     Nice Boys 
10.   Attitude/New Rose 
11.   Estranged
12.   Slither
13.   You Could Be Mine 
14.   Yesterdays
15.   My Michelle
16.   Whole Lotta Rosie
17.   November Rain 
18.   Slash Guitar Solo
19.   Sweet Child O’Mine
20.   Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door (Only Women Bleed Intro)
21.   COMA 
22.   Patience (with Melissa intro)
23.   Think About You 

24.   You're Crazy (Slow version)  
25.   The Seeker 
26.   Don’t Cry (Babe I'm Gonna Leave You intro intro)  
27.   Locomotive
28.   Rocket Queen 

ENCORE

29.   Out ta Get Me
30.   I feel Good
31.   Nightrain 
32.   Paradise City

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2