Forbes - 4 Reasons a New GNR Album Would be a Success

Just kidding, @Spirit! Although I do see it as very unlikely that Axl will consider it at the moment (be or not because of it). Peace!

P.S: The reason I think this is the man looks (and probably is) exhausted. Hopefully someday he'll be able to put out something but... yeah...

Edited by ezosk

1 minute ago, ezosk said:

Just kidding, @Spirit! Although I do see it as very unlikely that Axl will consider it at the moment. Peace!

Mkay...

Any articles as such are always a good thing in my book. It helps construct an impression of 'demand' that the fans themselves are not always able to pull off by themselves.

• Like 3

Just now, IncitingChaos said:

Guns N Roses being introduced alongside Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones makes them a money making juggernaut for the rest of their existence. Forbes has taken notice of their tour and sees the money making potential the band has if they can find the studio.

Seems to be their angle yes, considering their field of journalism.

6 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Seems to be their angle yes, considering their field of journalism.

Yap, they get that a new album doesn’t even have to be good. It just draws attention to the band, adds streams, downloads and many other sources of revenue for the band and their brand which as of right now is as successful as a band can be in today’s music landscape. 

• Like 1

I think Axl understands the financial gain they could have if they make a new album but also I think the studio is where many of the demons from Axl and Slash’s feud would reappear. 

So possibly for Axl he’s thinking let’s tour this Bc it works for us and hold off on new music until later when we could possibly handle a rift in the studio. 

But as easy as they’ve made this new relationship work it could all unravel in seconds over creative differences.

• Like 3

Another thing is everyone seems to forget how fragile Axl and Slash’s relationship is. So far everything Axl has said about Slash has been said with caution. He’s said everyone is getting along currently, but he’s said he still finds Slash’s book to have lies and has called him out on it. 

Axl hasn’t been overly optimistic on Slash yet, he was touched that he “came to the CD songs” but even on prospects of a new album said “if they want to be part of it” so all these years of hate and anger towards Slash has left him wary of accepting this new relationship whole heartedly. 

Again I think the studio is a dangerous place for these two to spend time. What Axl thinks gnr should be and what Slash thinks gnr should be are completely different things.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Another thing is everyone seems to forget how fragile Axl and Slash’s relationship is. So far everything Axl has said about Slash has been said with caution. He’s said everyone is getting along currently, but he’s said he still finds Slash’s book to have lies and has called him out on it. 

Axl hasn’t been overly optimistic on Slash yet, he was touched that he “came to the CD songs” but even on prospects of a new album said “if they want to be part of it” so all these years of hate and anger towards Slash has left him wary of accepting this new relationship whole heartedly. 

Again I think the studio is a dangerous place for these two to spend time. What Axl thinks gnr should be and what Slash thinks gnr should be are completely different things.

That was two years ago though (when Axl said these things), before even the tour had started; they had done just few shows. Slash said later that at that point he didn't believe that it could last as long as it has. Things seem to have improved now, they seem to be more cordial to each other, Axl is singing Slither...

But I agree about the studio. It's much more difficult and complicated than the tour (where the basic issue was Axl's punctuality). Each of them is used to working in a certain way now, and they will have to go out of their ways. Slash, for example, is used to writing all the music by himself and then he just gives it to Myles for lyrics, he decides about the arrangements, the production, etc. This can't be done with Axl.

Getting along enough to do a tour is totally different than getting along enough to do an album. I don't see it happening, as I really feel that this has been more for money than anything. And albums don't make money now. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That was two years ago though (when Axl said these things), before even the tour had started; they had done just few shows. Slash said later that at that point he didn't believe that it could last as long as it has. Things seem to have improved now, they seem to be more cordial to each other, Axl is singing Slither...

But I agree about the studio. It's much more difficult and complicated than the tour (where the basic issue was Axl's punctuality). Each of them is used to working in a certain way now, and they will have to go out of their ways. Slash, for example, is used to writing all the music by himself and then he just gives it to Myles for lyrics, he decides about the arrangements, the production, etc. This can't be done with Axl.

Yea Axl is dead set on writing lyrics and melodies first. He’s said this multiple times that he hasn’t had a chance to do that since AFD. Even on CD he had the instrumental side done first so he could “come to the music” but like you said Slash finds it equally as difficult to write to lyrics and melody. And even if Slash let’s Axl write lyrics and melody first how long does it take Axl to submit any of it for Slash to use.

Although Axl’s quotes were two years ago you even have him recently (Iceland interview) saying the same thing about “everyone currently getting along so you never know”

• Like 2

If reworked CD material is used on a future release, just watch all the big media outlets jump on the bandwagon and say how unbelievable it is. 

Honestly hope to God that the vocals Axl recorded back in those sessions see the light of day. I have faith that they will be outstanding. 

I reckon the only thing Slash and Duff will want is writing credits and I could definitely see Axl allowing them to come up with whatever. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dean said:

If reworked CD material is used on a future release, just watch all the big media outlets jump on the bandwagon and say how unbelievable it is. 

Honestly hope to God that the vocals Axl recorded back in those sessions see the light of day. I have faith that they will be outstanding. 

I reckon the only thing Slash and Duff will want is writing credits and I could definitely see Axl allowing them to come up with whatever. 

Slash and Duff are very proud musicians and would want to rework any song that has their name on it. Especially under the gnr name. They won’t accept a copy and paste

• Like 1

Even if Stradlin and Adler would join the band, they will never top AFD or UYI because nothing can compete with the nostalgia and expectations that most fans have.

36 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Change your avatar, you're confusing me!

4 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Slash and Duff are very proud musicians and would want to rework any song that has their name on it. Especially under the gnr name. They won’t accept a copy and paste

Very true. I just hope they do justice to whatever the musicians before them recorded. I'm not convinced with Slash's attempts at some CD stuff live, but there is no question that man has the key to hit Axl right in the feels so here's hoping they release stuff that holds up to the content already available and hopefully surpasses some of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Even if Stradlin and Adler would join the band, they will never top AFD or UYI because nothing can compete with the nostalgia and expectations that most fans have.

Change your avatar, you're confusing me!

I think the article gets that. It’s basically saying the benefits of gnr releasing a new album is beyond how good it is. It’s the fact that they have a huge fan base that will gobble it up and the attention alone would bring in a variety of people to download, stream, and spend money on what has become a massive brand in music to the likes of a Rolling Stone status 

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

I think the article gets that. It’s basically saying the benefits of gnr releasing a new album is beyond how good it is. It’s the fact that they have a huge fan base that will gobble it up and the attention alone would bring in a variety of people to download, stream, and spend money on what has become a massive brand in music to the likes of a Rolling Stone status 

Thanks. I didn't read the article!

54 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Yea Axl is dead set on writing lyrics and melodies first. He’s said this multiple times that he hasn’t had a chance to do that since AFD. Even on CD he had the instrumental side done first so he could “come to the music” but like you said Slash finds it equally as difficult to write to lyrics and melody. And even if Slash let’s Axl write lyrics and melody first how long does it take Axl to submit any of it for Slash to use.

Although Axl’s quotes were two years ago you even have him recently (Iceland interview) saying the same thing about “everyone currently getting along so you never know”

They should try Axl's way again. Isn't that how estranged was written? Lyrics and piano first? That's a masterpiece. I think it might be the most complete song Slash has ever done, top 5 for sure. That's an argument for a different day. 

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

I really agree with this. Slash is putting out a solo album for a reason. If he was confident in working in the studio with Axl I don't think this new solo album would be happening. The healing process will take a lot more than a tour. Going into the studio and starting from scratch will really show how tight and repaired the friendship will be. I also think that an album will need Izzy in some capacity. Lyrically in particular. 

I think everyone basically knows that to keep touring, they need new material or a full reunion. They toured the world twice now. Places are starting to not sell out any more from what I've seen (correct me if I'm wrong). Slither being put in the set I think is a huge win. That really shows a lot about the relationship but will slither and some CD songs are enough to heal all the wounds? Maybe not, I think they know that if they go into the studio and it's a disaster, they might ruin the chance for a full reunion retirement tour down the road. 

• Like 1

From everything I’ve read on Axl and the studio is Axl has a vision for how he wants something but you literally might see the guy once in a few month span. If he wants to write the lyrics and melody first then that’s great but I guarantee you the problem they’ve ran into in the past is Axl saying that and not turning anything in. Then when you get Slash who isn’t going to sit there and wait turns a guitar first driven song in and Axl gets a hold of it he gets pissed. It’s like someone just gave him homework and is like here finish it. 

So while it would be great if they could do it Axl’s way, the truth is it’s not that simple to get Axl to do anything within anyone’s timeline. 

If Axl says he’s working on an album it puts him in a timeline, and the only one I envision him working within is Angus’. I feel an ACDC album needs to come out first in order for gnr to have a chance down the road of releasing anything