Forbes - 4 Reasons a New GNR Album Would be a Success

52 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Even if Stradlin and Adler would join the band, they will never top AFD or UYI because nothing can compete with the nostalgia and expectations that most fans have.

Change your avatar, you're confusing me!

Funny😀you say same i said @Blackstarabout her avatar:lol:

• Like 1

I'd wager a guess he likes to do it both ways. Sometimes certain riffs may not go with the feel you want for the song and sometimes you need to get the lyrics and perhaps piano in place before you can get a feel for how other parts would go with the song.

People keep forgetting Slash was already committed to that album before this reunion. He put it in hold for GnR.

I think Axl's commente a few years ago about Slash's book was just that. It was an answer he has given over and over that many fans pushed to the side and didn't believe. 

They have now worked those issues out it seems on all sides which is great.

His comments about new music then was just that. He has shown them some stuff but it will be up to them if they wish to record with him. I'm sure it's not the only factor but again it was just an honest answer at the time.

Things seem to be going well at this point. I'm sure once they feel ready we will get new music in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Slash, for example, is used to writing all the music by himself and then he just gives it to Myles for lyrics, he decides about the arrangements, the production, etc. This can't be done with Axl.

Slash was long enough in a band situation to know how songwriting in a band has to be done. 

No problems here.

But I agree that Axl and Slash together in the studio is a whole other level of interaction that could cause issues

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Slash was long enough in a band situation to know how songwriting in a band has to be done. 

No problems here.

But I agree that Axl and Slash together in the studio is a whole other level of interaction that could cause issues

They both were in a band before. It's not about "knowing", but about habits and preferences.

The same issues will still be there. Slash will want to do a rock n roll, riff driven guitar album. 

Axl will want pianos, keys, industrial, large production, copy and pasting, whatever else you can think of.

Axl said in China exchange that CD songs are his favourite to play. Then in Iceland he said Witchita. 

There the songs that most fans and probably Slash could live without.

So a new album together would be tough.

9 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Again I think the studio is a dangerous place for these two to spend time. What Axl thinks gnr should be and what Slash thinks gnr should be are completely different things.

Tbh, at this point it's irrelevant what Slash thinks GNR should be. It's Axl's band and Slash is just a hired gun who's there to make some serious dough.

You could argue that it has always been Axl's band (him and Tracii were the founders, Tracii goes, ergo, 'Axl's band').

I think Slash is smart enough to understand that now, and has his own projects he can go to when he wants to do outdated classic rock. Although the years since leaving Guns the first time around has shown that he's now pretty indiscriminate in who he works with and what styles he does.

I wouldn't be suprised if Axl continues Guns in the spirit of guys like NIN or Prince & The NPG - going into crazy mad scientist mode in the studio (whether we hear any of it is something else entirely) and just having Slash, Duff & co. as a touring band.

Edited by Azifwekare
  • Like 1

This is my speculation of what's gonna happen in the future:

Axl is old and doesn't care. He's on his last years of his career. He has probably 4-5 years left of his career, then he will retire. He will be touring with Slash and Duff with some stops here and there in between.

We'll probably get the Illusions boxset with Spaghetti included (as Lies was) and that's it... Then when he's retired, luckily he will finish that supposed auto biography book, and that will be it.

The Chinese Democracy Era is finished and buried, I don't think he will ever release any of those songs. Slash and Duff would never support the release of those songs anyway, cause they haven't wrote it with Axl, so they have nothing to gain from it. Playing Chinese Democracy songs is one thing, releasing new "Chinese Democracy era songs" that they haven't wrote, and were written by Axl with other artists replacing them is another. They won't support it in any way shape or form. I don't believe it.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Tbh, at this point it's irrelevant what Slash thinks GNR should be. It's Axl's band and Slash is just a hired gun who's there to make some serious dough.

You could argue that it has always been Axl's band

I don't think it is irrelevant at all - because all in all Slash and Duff are why GNR are relevant in the large scale touring world again.  And if Slash thinks GNR should be something it isn't, and he isn't happy and decided not to record with GNR because of that, that is a huge "what could have been" that would not be fully realized

A new GNR album with Slash will exponentially have more buzz, more attention, and more interest and thus Slash is very relevant to GNR IMO

Regarding it being Axl's band, I really only consider the band that Axl took ownership over post-contract controversy to be "his", I don't consider Appetite or even UYI era GNR to be really "anyone's" band in specifics

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Azifwekare said:

You could argue that it has always been Axl's band (him and Tracii were the founders, Tracii goes, ergo, 'Axl's band').

I think Slash is smart enough to understand that now, and has his own projects he can go to when he wants to do outdated classic rock. Although the years since leaving Guns the first time around has shown that he's now pretty indiscriminate in who he works with and what styles he does.

I wouldn't be suprised if Axl continues Guns in the spirit of guys like NIN or Prince & The NPG - going into crazy mad scientist mode in the studio (whether we hear any of it is something else entirely) and just having Slash, Duff & co. as a touring band.

Biggest bullshit ever

38 minutes ago, Dimezy said:

Anyone know what the go was with the thread yesterday about fernando and new music?

Random account from GNFNR which claims to be Fernando, but only has 4 posts, stated that new music was coming. That's essentially it. Thread probably got deleted because the report is most likely false. Besides, the real Fernando did say here that 'something' was being done on the music front.

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

The same issues will still be there. Slash will want to do a rock n roll, riff driven guitar album. 

Axl will want pianos, keys, industrial, large production, copy and pasting, whatever else you can think of.

Axl said in China exchange that CD songs are his favourite to play. Then in Iceland he said Witchita. 

There the songs that most fans and probably Slash could live without.

So a new album together would be tough.

Slash has SMKC to do his rock. There will have to be some compromise on all parties here to make things work on a GNR album, and i think Slash may be up to it considering he has avenues to pursue his solo work with.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

The biggest problem in creating a new GNR album lies with Axl Rose. He hasn't legitimately collaborated with a band of equal songwriters since the early 90s. Chinese was Axl's baby. He could chop up the solos, edit guitar parts in and out of the mix, he could do whatever the fuck he wanted. Bumblefoot and Finck weren't going to give him shit for it, they were likely just pleased to be on the album. Now, Slash ain't gonna stand for that shit, and quite rightly.

If Axl genuinely expects Slash/Duff to work up some of his own CD-era song ideas, then he needs to show a willingness to work on original material created by Slash/Duff as well. And he needs to respect the work that they contribute and not act like he's the executive producer and Slash and Duff are just hired hands.

Axl has seemed reticent about recording new material with any line-up since CD dropped in 2008. I was hoping the return of Slash and Duff would inspire him to get back into the studio, but alas, he seems just as reluctant as ever. My guess is, he can't be bothered with the headache of it all and he doesn't trust that him and Slash would be able to find a musical common ground again. Nobody wants a new GNR album that sounds like Slash feat Axl Rose and The Conspirators.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Towelie said:

The biggest problem in creating a new GNR album lies with Axl Rose. He hasn't legitimately collaborated with a band of equal songwriters since the early 90s. Chinese was Axl's baby. He could chop up the solos, edit guitar parts in and out of the mix, he could do whatever the fuck he wanted. Bumblefoot and Finck weren't going to give him shit for it, they were likely just pleased to be on the album. Now, Slash ain't gonna stand for that shit, and quite rightly.

If Axl genuinely expects Slash/Duff to work up some of his own CD-era song ideas, then he needs to show a willingness to work on original material created by Slash/Duff as well. And he needs to respect the work that they contribute and not act like he's the executive producer and Slash and Duff are just hired hands.

Axl has seemed reticent about recording new material with any line-up since CD dropped in 2008. I was hoping the return of Slash and Duff would inspire him to get back into the studio, but alas, he seems just as reluctant as ever. My guess is, he can't be bothered with the headache of it all and he doesn't trust that him and Slash would be able to find a musical common ground again. Nobody wants a new GNR album that sounds like Slash feat Axl Rose and The Conspirators.

I agree that the Chinese record was not made on an equal songwriter level. However, Axl was just acting as a co-producer. I don't think it was as authoritative as your post sounds. We all now Chinese was Axls baby, but it was collaborative in creating his vision... as wishy washy as that may sound. It's no different than any album except usually there's 1-5 member and 2 out of the members have the vision and the rest come in play over those parts... It's so rare for the whole band to be equal songwriters, I wouldn't even say that GNR were ever equal songwriters... equal arrangers? I could agree with.

I think Axl would still be the co-producer on any CD material, maybe he'd relinquish the reins a bit on material that Slash writes and has HIS vision. It's no different than November rain, and estranged.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree that the Chinese record was not made on an equal songwriter level. However, Axl was just acting as a co-producer. I don't think it was as authoritative as your post sounds. We all now Chinese was Axls baby, but it was collaborative in creating his vision... as wishy washy as that may sound. It's no different than any album except usually there's 1-5 member and 2 out of the members have the vision and the rest come in play over those parts... It's so rare for the whole band to be equal songwriters, I wouldn't even say that GNR were ever equal songwriters... equal arrangers? I could agree with.

I think Axl would still be the co-producer on any CD material, maybe he'd relinquish the reins a bit on material that Slash writes and has HIS vision. It's no different than November rain, and estranged.  

But then you have the problem of finding a commonground that both Axl and Slash are prepared to work with. Try as I might, I can't envision any SMKC songs fitting on Chinese Democracy and vice versa.

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

But then you have the problem of finding a commonground that both Axl and Slash are prepared to work with. Try as I might, I can't envision any SMKC songs fitting on Chinese Democracy and vice versa.

Perhaps the album could be partitioned into songs 'directed' by Axl, Slash and Duff. Say, four songs each. It would probably make for an inconsistent sound throughout the entire album, but most people don't insert a disc and listen to albums all the way through any more. Additionally, doing it this way would allow all members to bring their experience in the past 20 years to the table.

18 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Chinese democracy the song could fit on any Slash effort. 

As for Slash's solo material I don't think it fits within the CD album... however if Slash and Axl were writing together and rearranging each others songs then I could definitely imagine a way to make Axls more experimental and Slash's bones approach work. I mean UYI was that concept exactly.

I don't think it is or needs to be as contentious a subject. 

Edited by Tom2112

28 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Perhaps the album could be partitioned into songs 'directed' by Axl, Slash and Duff. Say, four songs each. It would probably make for an inconsistent sound throughout the entire album, but most people don't insert a disc and listen to albums all the way through any more. Additionally, doing it this way would allow all members to bring their experience in the past 20 years to the table.

Most people don't which is true. But reviewers do, and if a 'potential' album has a inconsistent sound then it's going to get mixed reviews... mixed reviews mean less sales, less interest and the album would have an even shorter shelf life. A new record that is great from top to bottom with a consistent sound throughout is going to have trouble breaking through right now, and getting significant radio play. If Guns are to make an impact, they would all need to be on the same page. Well that's my opinion at least, I also believe they'll rack up significant enough sales enough to get a no 1 record for the first week of sales, at the very least.

I would be buzzing at a UYI sort of release. Release the best of the CD era that is edited with Slash and Duff and another disc with the best of what the 3 of them can come up with.

Something to beef up the back catalogue!

• Like 1