Jump to content
ZoSoRose

Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise Of Skywalker Thread

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Who is talking at the beginning? I can't place the voice. It's not Luke, is it?

I thought it was Luke. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's Luke

 

Looks awesome

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It must be Luke if nobody else is talking about it. It doesn’t sound like him to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the title is very original. It's been done.

Rise of Cobra

Rise of the machines

Rise of planet of the apes

Rise of an empire

Rise of the silver surfer

Rise of Skywalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

It must be Luke if nobody else is talking about it. It doesn’t sound like him to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

He is an excellent voice actor with abilities to greatly alter the sound of his voice.  So if it is him, then perhaps he's changed it for some reason.  Maybe that's how "spirit" Luke sounds.   

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of a cool way to close out the series if true:

"Luke was adamant throughout The Last Jedi that the Jedi Order failed and needed to be left to die. But in the end, facing down his nephew and accepting the end of his own life, Luke saw that something better could rise from the ashes of the Jedi. Rey can do more than try to recreate what failed twice in the past. She can establish a new generation of Force users who strive to find balance between the Light and Dark Sides of the Force. She can become the first of a new wave of heroes called Skywalkers. And in that way, the legacy of Anakin and his children will live on even as the Star Wars franchise shifts away from the Skywalker family."

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/04/12/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-how-episode-9-could-redefine-the-skywalker-name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that’s a cop out. Renaming Jedi to Skywalker. One of my least favorite theories. Up there with her being a clone of Anakin and Luke telling her, “You are my father.”

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

I think that’s a cop out. Renaming Jedi to Skywalker. One of my least favorite theories. Up there with her being a clone of Anakin and Luke telling her, “You are my father.”

It wouldn't be renaming though.  It would be something completely different from a Jedi.  Jedis were only focused on the light side as a means of balancing out the dark side.  

A Skywalker could be a force-sensitive individual who is able to balance both within themselves.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, downzy said:

It wouldn't be renaming though.  It would be something completely different from a Jedi.  Jedis were only focused on the light side as a means of balancing out the dark side.  

A Skywalker could be a force-sensitive individual who is able to balance both within themselves.  

I'd have to say no. The skywalker saga is at an end in this film. They're moving on from Skywalkers. IIRC Rian Johnson and others were starting a new chapter with new characters in the next set of movies. Unless we find out Rey is an actual Skywalker, I'd have to say that theory is out of the question.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1058987-disney-says-star-wars-movies-are-going-on-hiatus-after-episode-ix

Edited by 31illusions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

The Phantom Menace - 32 BBY

Attack of the Clones - 22 BBY

Revenge of the Sith - 19 BBY

Solo - 9 BBY

Rogue One - 0 BBY

Star Wars - 0 BBY

The Empire Strikes Back - 3 ABY

Return of the Jedi - 4 ABY

The Force Awakens - 34 ABY

The Last Jedi - 34 ABY

The Rise of Skywalker - ?? ABY

One of the actors (Boyega, I think) confirmed that IX takes place one year after TLJ. So 35 ABY.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a pretty exciting trailer.

You know, I really appreciated Last Jedi but thought that the story had sort of run out of road.

With what I’m seeing here, they seem to be accumulating the whole story by playing it out through the proxy characters: Rey and Kylo.

On their own, those two characters and their conflict is only mildly interesting, but Luke’s suggestion that all of the Jedi and all of the Sith are participating through them makes it incredibly epic.

Abrams seemingly found a way to make a conclusion that matters: by fully embracing the dead as alive.

I think it was probably the only way you could give significance to what came before and make it matter. 

The laugh at the end is tantalizing in what it suggests, so, I’m defintely excited.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

That was a pretty exciting trailer.

You know, I really appreciated Last Jedi but thought that the story had sort of run out of road.

With what I’m seeing here, they seem to be accumulating the whole story by playing it out through the proxy characters: Rey and Kylo.

On their own, those two characters and their conflict is only mildly interesting, but Luke’s suggestion that all of the Jedi and all of the Sith are participating through them makes it incredibly epic.

Abrams seemingly found a way to make a conclusion that matters: by fully embracing the dead as alive.

I think it was probably the only way you could give significance to what came before and make it matter. 

The laugh at the end is tantalizing in what it suggests, so, I’m defintely excited.

Now that I’ve had more time to think it over, I agree with you. They cornered themselves creatively, so this was absolutely the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

One of the actors (Boyega, I think) confirmed that IX takes place one year after TLJ. So 35 ABY.

I didn’t see that, so thanks. 

1F13AADD-56AD-44CC-B0B6-3CC12D23D113.jpeg

3 hours ago, downzy said:

It wouldn't be renaming though.  It would be something completely different from a Jedi.  Jedis were only focused on the light side as a means of balancing out the dark side.  

A Skywalker could be a force-sensitive individual who is able to balance both within themselves.  

Kinda goes with that whole “Grey Jedi” junk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I'm still sticking with the old Expanded Universe (still haven't seen The Last Jedi).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 31illusions said:

I'd have to say no. The skywalker saga is at an end in this film. They're moving on from Skywalkers. IIRC Rian Johnson and others were starting a new chapter with new characters in the next set of movies. Unless we find out Rey is an actual Skywalker, I'd have to say that theory is out of the question.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1058987-disney-says-star-wars-movies-are-going-on-hiatus-after-episode-ix

But they still have to conclude the Skywalker family story.  That's what Episode IX is all about: the culmination of what the Skywalker name and family will be and the legacy it leaves once this story is done.  It needs a satisfying ending in order for whatever franchise Johnson has in the works to be its own thing and not tied to the Skywalker saga.

Leia will be in Episode IX and it's clear that Luke makes at least one or two appearances.  Plus Kylo is from and still apart of the Skywalker family.  The story still needs a conclusion.  As much as I hated TLJ (for reasons besides how they handled Luke), it, along with the new title, does setup this kind of ending.  Where Luke wanted the Jedi order to end, maybe Rey is able to replace it with something a little more stable, and calls it Skywalker.  

If we look at the names of the final instalment in each trilogy, there seems to be a pattern:

Episode III was Revenge of the Sith

Episode VI is Return of the Jedi

Kind of fits that The Rise of Skywalker denotes something new.  

Plus, what else could the title mean?  That Rey is actually part of Skywalker lineage?  Perhaps Kylo denounces the dark side and becomes a Skywalker (despite his last name really being Solo)?  Maybe @luciusfunk is right and Rey and Kylo have a kid (though it would still technically be Solo, not a Skywalker).  

All of that is possible, but doesn't seem likely.  

23 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Think I'm still sticking with the old Expanded Universe (still haven't seen The Last Jedi).

Probably a good call. TLJ probably needs this new film to save it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I haven’t heard anyone say anything about this, but the beginning of the trailer bugs me. Kylo is speeding toward Rey in a TIE Fighter, why does she run away from him? If she’s going to flip over him, why not just stand there, why run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this on reddit, gives more credence to new Jedi being Skywalkers. 

 

In Thrawn Alliances the term Skywalker is said to be of Chiss origin and is said to mean one uses the Force.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Ok I haven’t heard anyone say anything about this, but the beginning of the trailer bugs me. Kylo is speeding toward Rey in a TIE Fighter, why does she run away from him? If she’s going to flip over him, why not just stand there, why run?

Are we sure it’s Kylo?  Probably is but maybe not. 

Yeah, I thought the same thing at first.  Perhaps it has something to do with momentum or she’s just better at back flips. 

Or maybe it’s because it looks cooler and works better for the trailer.  We don’t see what actually happens (though it’s easy to imagine).  

 

3 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Just found this on reddit, gives more credence to new Jedi being Skywalkers. 

 

In Thrawn Alliances the term Skywalker is said to be of Chiss origin and is said to mean one uses the Force.

Yeah, the article I linked to above mentions how the pilots in this part of the galaxy are force sensitive and are called sky walkers. Anakin’s mom is apparently from this part of the galaxy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, downzy said:

Are we sure it’s Kylo?  Probably is but maybe not. 

Yeah, I thought the same thing at first.  Perhaps it has something to do with momentum or she’s just better at back flips. 

Or maybe it’s because it looks cooler and works better for the trailer.  We don’t see what actually happens (though it’s easy to imagine).  

 

Yeah, the article I linked to above mentions how the pilots in this part of the galaxy are force sensitive and are called sky walkers. Anakin’s mom is apparently from this part of the galaxy. 

We aren't. The fact that he's not explicitly shown makes me think that's a bit of misdirection - Star Wars loves to do that in promo materials.

 

Also someone else on Reddit mentioned; if the voiceover of...you know who at the end was revealed in the teaser, then there's got to be other, bigger surprises in store for the film. That's a pretty big surprise to drop this early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So, I absolutely hated The Last Jedi, and my hatred for it grew so much that I had no intention of watching episode 9. But having seen this trailer, I’m interested.

JJ has a way of promising something epic in his trailers, and this was no different. Especially with the scene at 1:40 that looks like debris of the Death Star? So epic...!

Rian Johnson royally fucked up everything set up in Ep7, so much so that it was only logical that JJ bring back an iconic villain in the Emperor. Seeing as the conclusion of the trilogy has no time to reintroduce a new villain character, at this point (which I assume would’ve been Snoke, had he not been killed off).

So, I think we’ll probably get a film at least on par with the Force Awakens. And hopefully wash away the bad taste that The Last Jedi left...

Edited by metallex78
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rey Palpatine? Emperor's been hanging out with Thrawn and the Chiss since his "death"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The first teasers for all three sequel films starts off with heavy breathing. Finn in TFA and Rey for the remainder. What is up with that?

The Force surrounds us and flows through us as we breathe in and out, its what gives us life? That would certainly have a basis in myths and religions which Star Wars have drawn from before. The Hebrew word 'rauch' and the Greek "pneuma" simultaneously means "breath" "wind" and "spirit." And specifically for the sequels, the two step process of breathing can be made to represent 2 things; light and dark?

TFA - Finn wakes up, having been resuscitated and begins breathing heavily. All very suiting for an awakening force and also a reboot basically to resuscitate the franchise.

TLJ - Rey is struggling with the force and goes straight to the dark. Leaving her gasping for breath.

TROS - She is in force-mode and though her breathing is elevated its also measured. Representing the control her advanced study and training has given her? There is a balance to her breath.

???????

 

Edited by soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palp's laughter and the title were huge surprises to me. I am very interested to see what JJ cooked up. I hope the return of the Emperor doesn't overshadow Kylo Ren's story, though. He is my favorite new character and his conflict with Rey should still stay center. 

I also think and hope JJ found a way to give Luke a meaningful sendoff. I personally loved his scenes on Crait in TLJ. I want more, though. He doesn't have to overshadow the new cast, but I want some powerful scenes. Him narrating the trailer and the title (even if it doesn't 100% refer to him) leads me to believe this will happen.

I'd also like to see Hayden Christianson in some capacity with a good script. If they bring a long dead Emperor back, why not? Anakin is arguably the centerpiece of the saga.

I was worried JJ would do a boring and simple big dumb finale, but it seems they came up with something more. I hope this movie will be something special, I am very excited and really liked the trailer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just please, even if just in passing with one tiny sentence, give some kind of closure on fucking Snoke. I’d even be willing to have Palpatine randomly say that was him fucking around. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, luciusfunk said:

Just please, even if just in passing with one tiny sentence, give some kind of closure on fucking Snoke. I’d even be willing to have Palpatine randomly say that was him fucking around. 

Agreed. This was one of the issues I had with TLJ. No explanation as to who Snoke was, where he came from, or how he was connected with the dark side.  

I get that Palpatine didn’t get a lot of backstory in the OT, but he wasn’t really mentioned in the first, given little screen time in the second, and finally a full introduction in ROTJ. The sequence fit. 

With TFA, the table was set for Snoke with expectation we’d get some sort of context. None was given before Kylo takes him out. Felt like a big waste of time. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×