Will the GNR reunion negatively impact Slash's solo band?

Has anyone else noticed quite a bit of negativity on social media from fans about the new SMKC album? Many comments from fans complaining about Myles Kennedy and the lack of new music from Guns.

It's debatable as to whether Slash deserves any backlash for continuing to be creative with SMKC, considering the lack of new music from GNR (and lets face it, we all know who's fault that is).

But it'd be interesting to see if Slash's solo band still manage to draw in the same crowds that they pulled prior to the reunion. A lot of fans went to those shows to see Slash performing GNR songs. They will almost certainly have lost that part of the crowd, seeing as GNR fans can now see Slash perform with Axl.

Prior to the reunion, SMKC was gaining some serious traction, having gone from playing theatres on the AL tour to arenas on the WOF tour. But is there really the demand for a Slash & Myles show in 2018, when Slash has just come off from 2yrs of touring with GNR?

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

side projects/solo careers always seem to have a negative impact on the big band you are known for. look at Jagger/Richards for example, there was no stones music for many years because of that. or even Gilby when he went swanning off to do his own thing, they just carried on without him.

Miles should concentrate on Alter Bridge and Slash should do the same with GNR.

10 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Isn't it like choosing between a douche and a turd sandwich these days? 

You can see Slash play GNR with Axl sounding like a terminally ill granny or with Myles Pussy Kennedy, who posseses none of the vemom or attitude required to really sing the material well. 

Still, I'd rather see Axl at his worst than dull Myles at his peak. 

yes, it is. I was never able to like that Myles guy singing, unlike for example Scott Weiland or Rod Jackson (I really liked those guys), I just flat out dislike that Myles guy.

and in the last years, I'm also unable to enjoy Axl singing, because his voice went to absolute trash.

so this really is a choice between stepping into a dog shit or a cat shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I doubt Slash is the hold up with a new GNR album, lol. Also I prefer ANY other singers voice over Axls clean mickey voice. I hope SMKC don't do GNR songs though, other than maybe Rocket Queen and Paradise City because Axl butchers those now.

Other than that: Myles >>>>> Axl mickey

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, donny said:

side projects/solo careers always seem to have a negative impact on the big band you are known for. look at Jagger/Richards for example, there was no stones music for many years because of that. or even Gilby when he went swanning off to do his own thing, they just carried on without him.

Miles should concentrate on Alter Bridge and Slash should do the same with GNR.

The Stones are a whole differnet story. This comparison is silly. And you can't blame slash for actualy wanting to create music and put it out for fans to enjoy. But if you're a hardcore GnR fan, that might sound like a strange concept to you. 

17 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Isn't it like choosing between a douche and a turd sandwich these days? 

You can see Slash play GNR with Axl sounding like a terminally ill granny or with Myles Pussy Kennedy, who posseses none of the vemom or attitude required to really sing the material well. 

Still, I'd rather see Axl at his worst than dull Myles at his peak. 

You're not wrong here. 

3 minutes ago, username said:

The Stones are a whole differnet story. This comparison is silly. And you can't blame slash for actualy wanting to create music and put it out for fans to enjoy. But if you're a hardcore GnR fan, that might sound like a strange concept to you. 

You're not wrong here. 

You can't honestly tell me you hear venom or attitude when Myles delivers his note-perfect dull renditions of GNR songs?

• Like 1

Ive never been a SMKC fan prior to NITL. Their upcoming release kinda serves as the NITL release for me. Ive been really excited, love the new single. Ill hope to go see them. All because of NITL. Not sure how many people are in the same boat as me though?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, username said:

Also, you can go to a GnR show to hear GnR songs being sung. You can go to a SMKC show to hear GnR songs being sung well

You can go to a GnR show and listen to king Axl Rose. You can go to SMKC show and listen to goat.

• Like 3

Overall I don't think there will be a backlash of any sort, it's easy to forget about the silent majority when the loud mouthed minority gets in the way. Slashs profile is bigger than ever now and I guess most people will realize it's not Slashs fault he had to go work on SMKC instead of GNR because Axl just doesn't want to do anything yet or he's busy with ACDC. Reception of DR wasn't good over on the Alter Bridge forums either. No hardcore fan is really pleased with the band releasing a radio friendly single that plays it safe over more harder rocking songs, and add onto that that the song is weaker than both previous lead singles. I'm sure the rest of the album and the album as a whole will get a positive reception from the fanbase.

24 minutes ago, Sanomatovic said:

Surely Slash will only play SCOM/WTTJ/PC and maybe a couple more GNR songs like nightrain or whatever, right? 

That's already WAY too much IMO. GNR has been everywhere and he already plays all those songs in GNR. If GNR remains an active touring machine then he'd be doing himself a disservice playing all those songs in his solo shows too instead of the huge catalogue of VR/Snakepit/SMKC he can choose from. He needs to bring out gems like Doin' Fine or Battleground instead

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I guess most people will realize it's not Slashs fault he had to go work on SMKC instead of GNR because Axl just doesn't want to do anything yet or he's busy with ACDC.

Slash's latest interview states otherwise though. He said he had always planned to go back to SMKC and has been looking forward to it. Unless it's just PR talk and he doesn't mean it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash's latest interview states otherwise though. He said he had always planned to go back to SMKC and has been looking forward to it. Unless it's just PR talk and he doesn't mean it.

That just means he wanted to make this SMKC album no matter what anyway, just the -when- was open. And the when happens to be now because GNR aren't making an album for whatever reason

3 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That just means he wanted to make this SMKC album no matter what anyway, just the -when- was open. And the when happens to be now because GNR aren't making an album for whatever reason

This is just an assumption though, not based on any indication or on something Slash said.