Will the GNR reunion negatively impact Slash's solo band?

6 hours ago, Mr Mini Mite said:

Of course you cant compare SMKC shows (in terms of popularity or media attention) to GNR... In Argentina 40000 people attended GNR shows (at least), and 3000/5000 SMKC...

I also would love to see more Snakepit and VR songs being played! 

SMKC completely packed out the 3 arena here in Dublin which has a capacity of 13,000. It was one of the best concerts I have been to. Enjoyed it more than the 2 times I seen GNR. To me GNR live sounded like they were completing chores for the audience. Which is understandable. SMKC just sounded more like a hard rock and roll band. Still loved GNR live though. And I agree I would love more Snakepit songs live. 

• Like 4

Of course they'll still play some Guns songs. Slash loves those songs and the audience do too. There will always be room for 4 or 5 in a 20+ song set. 

They play them better musically than with Richard, Frank, Diz and Melissa.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2018 at 1:25 PM, Towelie said:

Has anyone else noticed quite a bit of negativity on social media from fans about the new SMKC album? Many comments  fans complaining about Myles Kennedy and the lack of new music from Guns.

It's debatable as to whether Slash deserves any backlash for continuing to be creative with SMKC, considering the lack of new music from GNR (and lets face it, we all know who's fault that is).

But it'd be interesting to see if Slash's solo band still manage to draw in the same crowds that they pulled prior to the reunion. A lot of fans went to those shows to see Slash performing GNR songs. They will almost certainly have lost that part of the crowd, seeing as GNR fans can now see Slash perform with Axl.

Prior to the reunion, SMKC was gaining some serious traction, having gone from playing theatres on the AL tour to arenas on the WOF tour. But is there really the demand for a Slash & Myles show in 2018, when Slash has just come off from 2yrs of touring with GNR?

I said this from the beginning of the 2016 shows. Before the reunion, Slash and co were viewed as the best alternative than seeing the "proper" gnr. Now that the cat is our of the bag and people now see Slash, Axl and Duff together they are not as bothered about hearing Slash play those old gnr hits on his own. 

They were getting respectably big by 2015, and weren't far off featival headline spots. Now? I think they'll do good business and everything but the gnr reunion has definitely lowered the ceiling in how far Slash and co can rise up the ladder. 

They're going to be fine though. Maybe Slash will pull out some deeper cuts from the gnr catalog that he wants to play instead of the usual standards, that could be interesting! No point in rehashing the same thing he did on the NITL tour besides the must play Sweet child.

Also, anyone who views the SMKC record as a thing of "that should be gnr material" well, don't. It was written before the reunion and it was always intended for SMKC, not GNR. 

When / If Gnr pull the finger out and it's not just the remaining CD songs, Slash will still have a few snakey riffs up his sleeve. Don't worry, and enjoy what we get... Hoping it's as good as WOF.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ludurigan said:

talking about PR talk i am still not sure if it was Axl or a PR robot that gave that Iceland interview

"everyone is feeling great and we are all together to help each other and give our best to the fans"

yeah right

This joke is more appropiate to thread Axl Rose interview :lol:👍

• Haha 1

One thing people are forgetting pertaining to saturating markets is the NITL tour has been actually rather shit for many areas. People act like it has toured everywhere, and that ''everybody has had a chance to see it''but that is really not the case. It has actually been very selective and a sort of lazy ''we'll plonk ourselves in one big city a million miles' away and you plebs will have to travel to us'' tour - with a few awful festivals chucked in. 

In the United Kingdom Guns have only played two shows in London and a festival in the midlands - and a lot of people hate festivals. The North of England, Scotland and Wales have been completely ignored. Compare this to the Illusion tour when they played two stadia in the North (Manchester and Gateshead) besides the usual gluttony of London shows (and a big show at Milton Keynes). In Italy Guns have only played Imola and Florence; Illusion tour played Modena (twice), Turin and Rome (if memory serves). 2/3 of France's shows were Parisian whereas the Illusion tour hit markets like Nancy and Lyon.

If Slash does a proper tour he'll do a far more comprehensive tour, allowing people who couldn't see the NITL thing, through economics and/or the simple hassle of travelling. 

And that is not even mentioning the lower prices, more intimate venues.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Also, anyone who views the SMKC record as a thing of "that should be gnr material" well, don't. It was written before the reunion and it was always intended for SMKC, not GNR. 

When / If Gnr pull the finger out and it's not just the remaining CD songs, Slash will still have a few snakey riffs up his sleeve. Don't worry, and enjoy what we get... Hoping it's as good as WOF.

I'm with u. I think slash knows nowadays which songs/riffs fit which outfit and what he can bring in into gnr camp. that guy has a wealth of ideas for various styles. hope he'll give the blues ball stuff a shot again another day

On 7/28/2018 at 8:25 AM, Towelie said:

But it'd be interesting to see if Slash's solo band still manage to draw in the same crowds that they pulled prior to the reunion. A lot of fans went to those shows to see Slash performing GNR songs. They will almost certainly have lost that part of the crowd, seeing as GNR fans can now see Slash perform with Axl.

I know some people that got tix to see Slash that didn't go see Gn'R when they came around. There are people that don't like Stadium shows and paying 2-300 bucks a ticket.  If anything I think the reunion might boost ticket sales. Here in the states he was only playing 2-3k seat venues though.

I am a fan of Slash's solo stuff but a bigger Gn'R fan and hope he still plays a good amount of GnR songs.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

One thing people are forgetting pertaining to saturating markets is the NITL tour has been actually rather shit for many areas. People act like it has toured everywhere, and that ''everybody has had a chance to see it''but that is really not the case. It has actually been very selective and a sort of lazy ''we'll plonk ourselves in one big city a million miles' away and you plebs will have to travel to us'' tour - with a few awful festivals chucked in. 

In the United Kingdom Guns have only played two shows in London and a festival in the midlands - and a lot of people hate festivals. The North of England, Scotland and Wales have been completely ignored. Compare this to the Illusion tour when they played two stadia in the North (Manchester and Gateshead) besides the usual gluttony of London shows (and a big show at Milton Keynes). In Italy Guns have only played Imola and Florence; Illusion tour played Modena (twice), Turin and Rome (if memory serves). 2/3 of France's shows were Parisian whereas the Illusion tour hit markets like Nancy and Lyon.

If Slash does a proper tour he'll do a far more comprehensive tour, allowing people who couldn't see the NITL thing, through economics and/or the simple hassle of travelling. 

And that is not even mentioning the lower prices, more intimate venues.

They have been to numerous countries, more so than on the UYI Tour (by the way, Rome '92 was canceled and Modena '93 were back to back nights). Keep in mind that it's still going, with the chance of more dates being added. You can call this tour out on many things, however, geographical reach is not of them.

Take a look at Germany, for example: 6 dates in a two year span; Brazil: 7 dates; Spain: 3 dates. Comprehensiveness is not defined by the number of UK shows a band can pull.

The last time I saw smkc I decided I wouldn't watch them again because I didn't want to hear them playing guns songs. Now guns are back, I have a mixed opinion. I'd like to see smkc, but the less guns stuff they play the better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baldek said:

They have been to numerous countries, more so than on the UYI Tour (by the way, Rome '92 was canceled and Modena '93 were back to back nights). Keep in mind that it's still going, with the chance of more dates being added. You can call this tour out on many things, however, geographical reach is not of them.

Take a look at Germany, for example: 6 dates in a two year span; Brazil: 7 dates; Spain: 3 dates. Comprehensiveness is not defined by the number of UK shows a band can pull.

I don't agree in the slightest. The Illusion tour for instance visited my home city - not even a city in roughly my geographical area which would have been good enough but my specific city. In fact there was another show in my geographical area if I so decided to attend two shows!! This was just a London job with a festival chucked in in the midlands, within a short train ride from London.

In no way shape or form has this tour toured the United Kingdom. It has been one of the most minimalist tours I've ever seen of the UK. 

Here were the Stones' recent UK dates for instance,

London England London Stadium 137,475 / 137,475 $20,496,695
25 May 2018
29 May 2018 Southampton St. Mary's Stadium
2 June 2018 Coventry Ricoh Arena 31,599 / 31,599 $4,120,042
5 June 2018 Manchester Old Trafford 46,898 / 46,898 $7,321,969
9 June 2018 Edinburgh Scotland Murrayfield Stadium 54,221 / 54,221 $8,187,100
15 June 2018 Cardiff Wales Principality Stadium 48,716 / 48,716 $6,635,778
19 June 2018 London England

Seven shows. Three Home Nations (England, Scotland, Wales) represented. Two cities in the North. Three in the south. One in the south west (Wales). 

Here is GN'R's NITL UK dates,

June 16, 2017 London England London Stadium The Kills 
Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown
139,267 / 139,267 $17,171,304
June 17, 2017

June 9, 2018 [h] Donington England

Donington Park

Three shows, two of them in London, only one Home Nation represented (England).  

This tour has barely toured the United Kingdom. This is a fact.

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

Your expectations are set pretty low then? ;)

Ha! Well I enjoyed that album, best thing he's put out in many, many years including most of the snakepit and VR stuff. So from that viewpoint, it's a high bar.

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't agree in the slightest. The Illusion tour for instance visited my home city - not even a city in roughly my geographical area which would have been good enough but my specific city. In fact there was another show in my geographical area if I so decided to attend two shows!! This was just a London job with a festival chucked in in the midlands, within a short train ride from London.

In no way shape or form has this tour toured the United Kingdom. It has been one of the most minimalist tours I've ever seen of the UK. 

That's because it was a 'world' tour, NOT a UK tour. Other countries get extra dates because it isn't as easy to get to one specific city due to the size of the country, and the population might be bigger or the countries stats suggest that more people like the band so they need more shows. Also, for download this year I'm guessing there was a "don't play other UK dates on this tour" agreement to make sure people were forced to go to download if they wanted to see the band.

It's shit that they didn't touch Scotland or Wales but it's a bit of a drive (understatement) or a cheap flight to London (expensive accommodation granted).

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

That's because it was a 'world' tour, NOT a UK tour. Other countries get extra dates because it isn't as easy to get to one specific city due to the size of the country, and the population might be bigger or the countries stats suggest that more people like the band so they need more shows. Also, for download this year I'm guessing there was a "don't play other UK dates on this tour" agreement to make sure people were forced to go to download if they wanted to see the band.

It's shit that they didn't touch Scotland or Wales but it's a bit of a drive (understatement) or a cheap flight to London (expensive accommodation granted).

Then why didn't the stones 2018 apply this logic? Why didn't GN'R themselves of 1991-93 apply this logic?

Nope. 

And pertinent to this debate, Slash will play those markets. 

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

As always, you're too fixated on the UK. They played about 5 or 6 shows an hour away from me by car in a two year span on this tour.

• Like 1

Speaking from a personal perspective, I have no plans to go see SMKC now (unless this new album is killer).

Previously, I went to go see as I was convinced those shows would be the best opportunity I got to see Slash play live as it was clear there would be no GN'R reunion.

• Like 1