Slipknot

Gibson87

Any Slipknot fans here? I know they're from the nu-metal era but they're one of the few bands from that time that have been able to be successful and influential. They're one of my favorite bands of all time. I might be a tad biased since I'm from Iowa :lol:

• Like 1

I used to love Slipknot when I was a teenager. Saw them in 2009, was one of the last shows with Paul and an early performance of Snuff  (4th time they'd ever played it). I was right up front, 2nd row, went back a few rows to the moshpit for a while, ended up back in the 2nd row... it was awesome. Don't care for them much now, I thought it was distasteful to continue without Paul but without Joey I wouldn't even go see them for free.

I did see Stone Sour last summer though, Corey's a good rock frontman but SS also only have a couple songs I like. Basically I went to see a few other bands and stuck around for most of SS set.

• Like 1

I got into them via Vermillion on the Resident Evil soundtrack. Then got 

Subliminal Verses. Iowa and the Gray Chapter and a Best of. 

They are good as long as I don’t look at their outfits. But I guess they were all molested by clowns as children so it’s understandable that they dress like gimp clowns. 

Edited by wasted

7 hours ago, MrMojo said:

Gray Chapter is phenomenal.

I'm neutral on it. I liked Killpop, Skeptic, and Custer though. I'm much more excited for the next one. Corey said that it's gonna be "Iowa levels of heavy."

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • GNFNR 1

LIstened to Slipknot quite a lot in my late teens/early 20s. Even went to see them I think 4 or 5 times. By the time they released the Gray Chapter I think I gave it one listen but it just wasn't there anymore, Don't know if they've lost it or if I've lost it :P A friend of mine is the complete other way around. Really likes .5 but have barely listened to the earlier stuff. 

I think it partly has to do with Corey Taylor being everywhere having an opinion on everything to the point where I just got tired of him. Absolute great front man, seen him a couple of times with Stone Sour as well but not since they dropped their third album which I thought was lackluster too.

2 hours ago, CheapJon said:

LIstened to Slipknot quite a lot in my late teens/early 20s. Even went to see them I think 4 or 5 times. By the time they released the Gray Chapter I think I gave it one listen but it just wasn't there anymore, Don't know if they've lost it or if I've lost it :P A friend of mine is the complete other way around. Really likes .5 but have barely listened to the earlier stuff. 

I think it partly has to do with Corey Taylor being everywhere having an opinion on everything to the point where I just got tired of him. Absolute great front man, seen him a couple of times with Stone Sour as well but not since they dropped their third album which I thought was lackluster too.

I feel like a big part of the draw for a lot of people was the angst and the hunger. The heavy sound/image is still there obviously, but it's not as genuine as it was during those first few years and some of the fans lost interest/couldn't relate to it as they got older because of it

Edited by Gibson_Guy87
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 7:06 PM, PsychoKiss344 said:

Love Slipknot, I've seen them live twice.

Iowa is my favourite album.

I saw them in Des Moines (their hometown) in 2016. It was a killer show! Iowa is a fucking amazing album. It's still the heaviest album I've ever heard. I know there's heavier stuff out there musically, but the whole vibe of Iowa is dark and really heavy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I saw them in Des Moines (their hometown) in 2016. It was a killer show! Iowa is a fucking amazing album. It's still the heaviest album I've ever heard. I know there's heavier stuff out there musically, but the whole vibe of Iowa is dark and really heavy. 

Totally agree, one of the heaviest albums I've ever listened to!

• GNFNR 1

If you like Slipknot you should check Acid Bath i think its fair to say they may have been inspired by them. They made 2 albums which are both great then their bass player died in a car wreck and they called it quits. The cover of the first album is a charming drawing by Wayne Gacy.

Edited by Silverburst80

• 2 months later...

I saw the new video! It's just nuts! People in the pit will be going crazy and some might even die! lol

Hope not. Wish the Slipknot guys were in the video, but maybe they were. Couldn't tell since everyone had a mask on.

Also those people with the black outfits on, are they supposed to be nuns or muslum terrorists. I wasn't sure about that?

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
Question