Guns N' Roses rehearsal 2002 VMA

On 14/08/2018 at 12:41 PM, Blackstar said:

I don't know if it's a sign of that. It could be that he "grew up". Or that he saw the rants as part of a past he wanted to put behind. Or that he regretted that he had opened up too much in the past (not only with his rants, but also with his interviews) and "silence" was his new way to deal with things. This is someone who suddenly went from being accused of "talking too much" to disappearing from the public eye for years.

And I'm not sure if the years before 2012 were really great. It doesn't look like they were in that alleged e-mail list leak.

-------

Some stories Axl told during NITL:

When we recorded that song [Don't Cry] originally, we were driving the engineer nuts in Hollywood, and Steven wanted more high hat. And finally the guy cracked and he pulled a gun on us. Unlike Ryan Lochte and his gun, our gun was real. [Onstage in Sao Paolo, Brazil, November 11, 2016]

I heard that in the Cheap Trick song that says "they are out to get you". Yet, when this was in our song, I was the paranoid fucker. But you know, I didn't write it; that was the only line I didn't write in that song, "out ta get me". That was Izzy's [Onstage in Lisbon, Portugal, June 2, 2017]

The person I wrote that song [This I Love] for, said "thank you for the gift of your soul". Well, it took a while but I got that fucker back. [Onstage in Copenhagen, Denmark, June 27, 2017]

I wanna introduce the band, but before I do that I want to share a little piece of trivia on the song Coma. When we recorded that song, when we recorded Use Your Illusions, everybody was involved in different parts of writing it but only one person came down, once, to help with the vocals. And that was the help with one word. Slash came down to make sure I got the word "God dammit!" right. Just sharing that with you. It was very, very, very important to him that I got the right pronounciation and the right inflection on the word "God dammit". Just saying. [Live on stage, Buffalo, USA, August 16 2017]

I remember when we wrote that Used To Love Her song. It really, really wasn't about misogyny or anything. It was just that... there was another band in town, and they had written a song; and Izzy and I were sitting around, and it was all about how a woman kicked the guy's ass. And we were like "wow, what a bunch of pussies!" [Onstage in Hartford CT, October 23, 2017].

http://www.a-4-d.com/f8-gn-r-song-archive

Im under the impression  TIL is about slash?.

On 8/13/2018 at 9:30 PM, bdinan said:

I enjoyed to 2002-06 era. It seemed more organic. The shows were actually "shows" - Axl's banter was entertaining, and part of the adrenaline of whether or not he will show up, whether or not he would throw a tirade, or start a riot was kind of enjoyable in some sick, twisted way. It all seems manufactured. It seems like a bunch of employees doing their "job." Don't get me wrong, the shows have been pretty solid for the most part, despite Axl not being his best vocally, but there's just something off about it. It's hard to compare eras - you're never gonna have the illusions era again. I just think you're looking at a bunch of guys cashing in on a huge opportunity. 

I don't blame the band one bit for cashing in on opportunity. I think most of us would do the same. I don't consider Axl or anyone "sellouts." They're just doing what's right by them and their loved ones. 

I just think the excitement of this "NITL" tour wore off rather quickly. 

Might be a product of modern technology. Nowadays it is impossible to prevent bootlegs. Everyone has a high def recording device in their pocket, so you're getting the shows real time. Back in 02-06, you had to wait hours - sometimes days, weeks or months for even low quality clips. The thrill of actually going to the shows was something more that doesn't exist anymore - but I guess that can apply to any live act.

Maybe I'm just a cantankerous old man... lol

1) Izzy and

2) New music(classic, modern or both)

On 8/13/2018 at 12:07 PM, marunic said:

not gonna be a popular opinion but i also think 2006 was the 2nd best time for GNR/Axl. The 2000s in general were great for GNR (live wise), realistically 2006 axl could match up to 90s axl

Cocaine Axl.

Everyone’s favorite Axl.

Grandkids, kids, parents and grandparents align

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

Thanks for that. Richard looks a little bit disillusioned there, little did he know that only 78 years later he would get to play with Slash and Duff!

Guys, come on. Don’t forget how we all loved it back then, desperately waiting for any snippet of anything, footage- or event-wise.

As for the voice, he was half-assing it, obviously; it’s just a sound check.

Let’s be a bit humble, maybe? It kind of reminds me of today’s fans who at first were all over the reunion, and all they do now is bitch about the setlist or Axl’s voice or whatever. Sure, it basically sucks, but... how about not being such smartasses, huh? :D

You know what I mean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Guys, come on. Don’t forget how we all loved it back then, desperately waiting for any snippet of anything, footage- or event-wise.

That is because we didn't know anything about the band.... we didn't know who were those people, those freak guys, that freak show, it was all a mystery.
We didnt know what Axl looked like, what was going on with him, when CD was coming out, there were so many questions!

BUT NOW?

It's been 15 years, there's no mystery anymore. We now know how much it all went to hell, nuGN'R didn't survive, CD came out too late and it was a flop, then we got all those strange Axl phases and endless touring of bollocks.

I really don't have any interest in this footage anymore because THANKFULLY, Slash and Duff are back and Axl doesn't look like a freak anymore. He's not in his best shape but that whole halo of weird crap is gone.
This is a much better time, with all its pros and cons, I wouldn't want them to return to those dark years of suffering.

I cant see the video clips. But I think Axl would just be singing in 'half-voice.' I think it would be neat to hear Axl cracking jokes (hopefully with in-ear mix included). And Finck and BH were at odds so it would be interesting to see them interacting at a rehearsal. There's been some indication that they argued frequently. So at rehearsal they are figuring out a medley and the backdrop of that decision making includes 'who plays more leads?' haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

That is because we didn't know anything about the band.... we didn't know who were those people, those freak guys, that freak show, it was all a mystery.
We didnt know what Axl looked like, what was going on with him, when CD was coming out, there were so many questions!

BUT NOW?

It's been 15 years, there's no mystery anymore. We now know how much it all went to hell, nuGN'R didn't survive, CD came out too late and it was a flop, then we got all those strange Axl phases and endless touring of bollocks.

I really don't have any interest in this footage anymore because THANKFULLY, Slash and Duff are back and Axl doesn't look like a freak anymore. He's not in his best shape but that whole halo of weird crap is gone.
This is a much better time, with all its pros and cons, I wouldn't want them to return to those dark years of suffering.

I am definitely glad for the reunion too and understand that band looked like a freak show, although that era still has mystery concerning stuff happening behind the curtain. I would not wanna get back there either. However, I was more about like principles and stuff. People have no respect whatsoever for things they craved a while ago...
Meh, never mind, I sound like an old man. 

12 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I am definitely glad for the reunion too and understand that band looked like a freak show, although that era still has mystery concerning stuff happening behind the curtain. I would not wanna get back there either. However, I was more about like principles and stuff. People have no respect whatsoever for things they craved a while ago...
Meh, never mind, I sound like an old man. 

:lol:

For me, the only mystery of that era resides in the alleged songs that are supposedly sitting in the "vault". The rest is history..... because what would be interesting is to know how Axl wrote the songs, but he is the only one who could tell that story, if he ever wants to open up about that and I don't think these videos will reveal anything of that :shrugs:

It is not about not having respect for what we craved before.... Interests wears off, especially when so many things happened after that and CD was released, which was the biggest mistery, what is left is just things that we assume about it, but we truly don't know.

As much as it lacks any new content, I would still love to see the entire VMA rehearsal. The 2002 lineup was a fucking scorcher, that only got to play something like 23 shows. 

Would love to see Madagascar rehearsed in full!

Edited by GNR 1991