Guns N' Roses rehearsal 2002 VMA

8 hours ago, moreblack said:

I remember that gig ending with "round one" but was there ever a round 2?

Ax going back into hiding for 4 years for people making fun of his weight, his botox, his ridiculous wig, and generally sounding like shit at that performance? I guess that counts as round 2. 

2006, he brought the fire. I went to a lot of shows in that era, and he was good. The VMA performance is a lowlight for GNR in any incarnation. Wheezing out Jungle and the "IT'S GONNA BRING YOU TO YA KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES" was just utterly pathetic. 

Glad there was some sort of vindication to follow a few years later.

19 hours ago, moreblack said:

I thought it was going to go down as that, but then Bridge School benefit happened.

Bridge school and the yellow raincoat rio incident were definitely lower on the totem pole, but Axl running around and winding himself when he clearly sounds OK on paradise city in the rehearsal footage was an embarrassment. I get it, Rock shows are a "show" and the visual performance gives it energy, but I would have preferred a stronger vocal performance than him being winded 30 seconds into jungle with that ridiculous scream he let loose at the beginning, followed by laps around the stage... if not for Maddy being a slow song, the guy may have had an aneurysm 

Seems like every time Axl sounds like ass, it's "he's sick." LOL... how often is this guy sick. 

19 hours ago, moreblack said:

I thought it was going to go down as that, but then Bridge School benefit happened.

Thanks for reminding me about bridge school. How do you write welcome to the jungle, perform it at literally every show you've pretty much ever done, and then go into singing it and start randomly singing part of "you're crazy" LOL... 

Now to go watch bridge school 

1 hour ago, bdinan said:

but I would have preferred a stronger vocal performance than him being winded 30 seconds into jungle with that ridiculous scream he let loose at the beginning, followed by laps around the stage... if not for Maddy being a slow song, the guy may have had an aneurysm

That opening Jungle scream was honestly the best part of the entire performance (followed up by a pretty good Madagacar) and probably where he blew his voice out unfortunately.

On 29/11/2018 at 6:25 AM, moreblack said:

Yeah but he'd clearly lost his voice - he said so before hand and if you look at other performances around the time that could clearly be pointed out.

This was 2002, Youtube wasn't a thing - peoples only access to this new GnR was that performance. I remember at the time a lot of people were really interested in Madagascar.

I feel it was the wrong move to disappear, they needed some more TV spots and maybe Maddy as a single around that time. Just so people could go "meh not one of their best" - loads of bands of had terrible award show performances - rather than it being the only proper view of new Guns that most people had over the next 4 or so years.

20 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

That opening Jungle scream was honestly the best part of the entire performance (followed up by a pretty good Madagacar) and probably where he blew his voice out unfortunately.

Madagascar was good, and PC was a shit show. 

13 hours ago, life_247 said:

Yeah but he'd clearly lost his voice - he said so before hand and if you look at other performances around the time that could clearly be pointed out.

This was 2002, Youtube wasn't a thing - peoples only access to this new GnR was that performance. I remember at the time a lot of people were really interested in Madagascar.

I feel it was the wrong move to disappear, they needed some more TV spots and maybe Maddy as a single around that time. Just so people could go "meh not one of their best" - loads of bands of had terrible award show performances - rather than it being the only proper view of new Guns that most people had over the next 4 or so years.

Bridge school to me isn't as much the voice as it is during jungle... you don't want... WHAT YOU NEEEED, IF YA GOT THE MONEY HONEY WE GOT WHATCHA NEEED! 

What. the. fuck. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2018 at 7:37 PM, bdinan said:

Bridge school and the yellow raincoat rio incident were definitely lower on the totem pole, but Axl running around and winding himself when he clearly sounds OK on paradise city in the rehearsal footage was an embarrassment. I get it, Rock shows are a "show" and the visual performance gives it energy, but I would have preferred a stronger vocal performance than him being winded 30 seconds into jungle with that ridiculous scream he let loose at the beginning, followed by laps around the stage... if not for Maddy being a slow song, the guy may have had an aneurysm 

Seems like every time Axl sounds like ass, it's "he's sick." LOL... how often is this guy sick. 

I almost had an aneurysm watching it.