Guns N' Roses rehearsal 2002 VMA

4 minutes ago, MJRemastered said:

Personally i love that era of gnr and this is an interesting piece of history. Not the most positive one, the VMA's were a disaster. What would be cool, The Joint shows or a 2002 gig where Axl uses more rasp at least on the CD songs.

Columbus and Boston 2002 is where he uses rasp in some musics...

Even though it wasn't "true GnR" and the performance wasn't that great, it was cool as hell watching Axl for the first time in a long time. At the time, I had no idea about any other GnR performance in the 2000's, so it was awesome seeing and hearing them. 

Just now, NeonKinight said:

Columbus and Boston 2002 is where he uses rasp in some musics...

I live in Columbus and have talked to a few people who were there. They said besides the LATE start it was an awesome show. I didn't get much detail but its neat talking to people who were there.

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The actual finished VMAs was car crash television though. It is rehearsal footage for something which in final form was indeed terrible. Paying money for that would be a bit like paying money for a tape of Emile Heskey practicing his goal scoring.

It was. It was also for me the first time seeing him since... I think 1994. He looked like a joke, he sounded like a joke, he had jokers around him. Except for Tommy Stinson... that guy always looks cool.

But Madagascar was dark... it reminded me of Estranged. Dark lyrics, haunting melodies. I was ready for a depressing but brilliant album from the hermit of rock n' roll.

• Like 2

It was definitely a trainwreck performance, and Axl winded himself early with the running around during jungle, but you are not a Guns fan if you didn't lose your shit when Fallon announced them. 

It was an interesting era for sure. I had a lot of fun back then. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brad_k said:

After watching this I think I agree 😂 

I feel like we're really missing the rants and stories that Axl used to tell onstage. Other than the story about Coma and the story about getting detained on the way into Canada, has there even been any proper stories or rants from Axl?

(Calling Tim Cook the Donald Trump of music on Twitter does not count)

I never understood why the VMA rehearsal was such a big thing to have hoarded for years for large sums of money

You have the warm-up for one of the worst Axl performances captured on tape, with a band that barely has any of those members left anymore now (Dizzy and Fortus are the only ones there).  Yeah I think I will stick with Saskatoon '93 thank you very much lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we're crowdsourcing for this, I'll contribute a photocopy of some temporary GNR tattoos.

I think it was in The General thread that someone said that was rehearsed in the footage too. If that's the case, I think I've got an actual temp tat left over that I can throw in.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smeagol2124 said:

Not sure if it was Cleveland or Columbus, but Prostitute was teased on the piano before NR.  Just after the "asshole" bit.

It was teased a number of times in 2006 as well. I want to say House of Blues has something that sounds a LOT more like a working version of TIL than that "Axl plays TIL in the 90s" clip.

3 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

I have both soundboards - you're full of shit

As far as a 'standard 2002 performance' goes, he did use a bit more rasp in certain songs. Not a 2006-2010 level of rasp or anything but on parts of The Blues, OTGM, CD, and probably a few others I'm forgetting, he sings similar to how he does now, where he'll start a line clean and end it raspy. Nothing major but there were moments on the 2002 tour where he proved he could break out the rasp when he wanted to.

And IMO Columbus is the best show from that era, the band sounds good and Axl sounds fucking spot on for most of show, when he sings clean it sounds good and not 'mickey', it just sounds like a 'natural' clean voice from Axl.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 2