Guns N' Roses rehearsal 2002 VMA

I was at the first night of Bridge School and it was just as awful as everyone says. I brought a friend and felt embarrassed during the set. You guys go on about tracking Axl’s rasp on 2018 shows, try finding a crumb of rasp in that entire show. You can count the moments on one hand.

I did like the Neil Young cover coming out of those shows tho 

9 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

Yeah it was the best show in Axl's career.  His voice never sounded better. It's shame he doesn't sound like this now. Imagine Axl/DC with THIS voice. Oh my god it would be so fuckin amazing. And the band... The Great DJ Ashba and his magnificent solos. And these random notes in Patience :wub: Oh DJ... how I wish you were here.. instead of this stupid wanker :anger:

Frank at his best, Tommy... the greatest basist in the history of this band

And my favourite artist of all time.. Chris Fuckin' Pitman.. Genius . Look how much he add to the band.. His stage presence,his towel, his awesome backing vocals:headbang: His voice was so soft, so deep, so BEATIFUL! Not like Melissa's awful voice.

Oh this show was truly kick-ass. My favourite GNR show ever. Second one is RiR2011 it was amazing how Axl recovered his voice from awful 2006-2010 years. Now he's just a shadow of his 2012 self :(

Err, never said it was a great show. Just that it wasn't as bad as it has become here at mygrnforum (on of those fan truisms), at least not when considering both days, more than Axl's vocals, and the context.

Madagascar is one of my favourite songs ever and VMAs 2002 is hands down the worst, weakest version of it ever. His voice sounds so thin and weak like it's about to snap and he actually has to strain to force out "it's never tooo late." It's awful. Compared to the deep rich tones from Rio 3 or his recent full on raspy efforts it's embarrassing. So yeah, 10k for the rehearsal, fuck no.

But it does make you wonder how different things could have been had he come out looking and sounding like 2006-2010. Positive press and a surge in US ticket sales could have changed the whole thing. 

• GNFNR 1

I wonder that the clip is still up. 

If I were GNR, TB or the idiots who declare themselves as the ones who act in behalf of the band and take care of them (you know who you are), THIS particular video is the one which should have been taken down immediately (!!!) to avoid any further damage to the b(r)and Guns n' Roses. But here we go, it's still there. I just don't get it 😄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F*ck Fear said:

He sounds just as bad in that rehersal footage, as he does now. 

No. Now he put much more effort and rasp into Madagascar. In Jungle he improve after first verse and the rest is good. In PC he puts rasp sometimes and it sound ok. + Now he sings Maddy and PC after 3 hours of performing not 3 minutes. Some of 2002 shows were better than NITL shows but VMA was awful, cringe worthy and embarrassing and this rehearsal is worse

Even as a major fan of Chinese-era Guns- I really struggle with ‘02. Something was seemingly “off” or dark/foreboding about it all...  

Much prefer the optimism, and expectation of ‘01 and ‘06. Even prefer the “Vegas”/Dj-Bumble years b/c the album was out, and the shows were fun IMHO (plus we got a bd out of it).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lukepowell1988 said:

The people who have shared the clip are most likely looking for a trade so there putting the feelers out

It wasn't supposed to be like that...

Everything about this era was so fucked up, from the change in sound and appearance of the band, and all of the other bullshit, that it was very Guns N' Roses.

I don't know why Axl sounded as bad as he did at that rehersal, or during the actual performance but it's a shame because had he went out there and fucking killed it, maybe the NA tour would have sold better.

There were some really great shows on that tour and I would have liked to hear more of that.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, F*ck Fear said:

I don't know why Axl sounded as bad as he did at that rehersal, or during the actual performance but it's a shame because had he went out there and fucking killed it, maybe the NA tour would have sold better.

some insight into that thing and some reasons: http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=55653#p55653

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

Thanks for the link! 

you haven't read the whole Chinese Whispers yet? damn! you must read it. it starts right after the last 1993 show.

I spent about 3 days reading it the first time and honestly I was totally astonished by some stuff included there.

Late to the party, let me just share one thought. Not to defend a lousy performance, but I believe lots of the not so great performances of that era are rooted in bad management. I can't put all the blame on Axl as for any lousy performance of that era you can find ten amazing ones.

If your band was invited by Neil Young or had the opportunity to perform at RIR or the VMA's - would you pass or take it on no matter what? To some level, it probably also depends on the ambition and the pressure. A good manager should be a brave consigliere but Axl just seems to have had people pushing him to suck more exposure and money out of him and musicians not giving two shits either - resulting in embarassing performances.

25 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Very much doubt it is the same thing but the one they played on the screens at the o2 in 2010 was really cool 

it's not, those were made much later