What is Axl up to these days?

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

There is a vast difference between enjoying a live performance and the connection that arises between spectators and performers at shows, and wanting the signatures of celebrities. 

You said that people who do not beg for autographs are superior to those who do because those people are not servile and do not embarrass themselves.

Let's see:

- Where do you get from that everybody who ask for an autograph is always begging?

- When you talk about servility you are already assuming that the celebrity is an authority over the fan, so how does that relationship change when the fan attends a show to see the celebrity?

The relationship between fan and celebrity is not limited to that moment when one is enjoying what the other is giving. The spectacle is composed of many different instances, beginning from the moment when you buy the ticket and the effort that it takes to make it to a show, until the time you leave the venue and it can also continue after that if I get more descriptive.

Do you consider that fans who make long lines to enter a stadium are being servile? Do you consider that screaming the name of the celebrity, singing songs out loud, applauding, giving praise and also enjoying what some other human is doing above a stage is servile and embarassing?

Because all of that it is part of being a fan and it is part of attending a show (well, at least a big show in a stadium), at the same time that the relationship keeps being vertical not horizontal. The celebrity is above a stage that for spectacle reasons they are usually higher and taller than a regular human being and there is a barrier, physical and emotional, that keeps fans below and the celebrity above.

So no, there is not a vast difference between one instance and the other, since both are part of a bigger scenario called fandom. 

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

Handwriting must be one of the very few things that are personal and seem that soon will get lost with all the technology replacement of everything human.

I think you're overanalyzing this concept. I agree about the symbolism, though. I can even understand wanting to have a copy of your favourite book with an autograph or little note from the author in it. But a piece of paper with a person's ''doodle'' on it doesn't having anything to do with their talent and why I am a fan, and that's when the celebrity worship comes into play... like people spending money on a lock of Cobain's hair or Lennon's sweater. Who cares? Well, many people do apparently.

Slash's pick would only be cool if he played with it. It would still be silly and I wouldn't pay a dime for it, but if he would throw it in the crowd and I happen to catch it, I would take it home with me because it represents his guitar playing, and he's the reason why I started playing guitar. I wouldn't care about his socks or one of his thousands of bracelets. But hey... if anyone else gets a kick out of an unfinished sandwich belonging to Marlon Brando or a James Dean speeding ticket with his handwriting on it, then that's fine with me, albeit a bit creepy.

Edited by EvanG

11 minutes ago, Lio said:

If you think hassling celebrities for autographs or buying up lithos and then selling them for big bucks is the same as selling stuff in a store, then we clearly will never understand each other.

But here goes anyway, if anyone else doesn't see the difference: the eBayer got the autograph for free, pretending to be a fan. He tries to get as much money as possible for it, while not working, not paying any taxes or anything. The guy selling shoes or whatever else bought his stuff and is selling it at retail price in a store. He also pays taxes and maybe even has staff, thus contributing to society in more than one way. To me, the difference is night and day. It's not even comparable.

I totally understand any celebrity that decides not to hand out autographs anymore, because those eBayers will make a profit from it. Again, a few people spoiling it for everyone else. Shame, but that's the way it goes. Everyone always has to pay for the behaviour of a few bad apples.

That's not what I think, that's what you said, almost comparing eBayers to real criminals...

What an eBayer does is probably a side job and if there are people out there buying the autographs, that means there is a market for it and this market does not require to pay taxes, having a physical store, etc, because its revenue it's so minimal that I really doubt it could be considered an actual job or a commercial activity that makes the world go round 😂

This is just white people problems with first world problems. Totally nonsensical and ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

This is just white people problems with first world problems. Totally nonsensical and ridiculous.

First of all, that's racist. Second, it's not a problem, at least not for me. Someone else raised this subject. Maybe it was you, saying how Axl was so mean as to yell 'eBayers suck', you posted it. Other people said that eBayers were just trying to make a living. Now when I react and just give my opinion, it's 'white people problems with first world problems' and nonsense and ridiculous. :question:

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is truly the apex of music memorabilia.

Elvis's dirty undies,

article-2194594-14B27DA5000005DC-307_634

Failed to meet the £7,000 when they went on sale in Stockport of all places.

I can think of a few people on fora elsewhere who would snap up Rose's briefs!

401HzMM.gif

Edited by soon

13 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think you're overanalyzing this concept. I agree about the symbolism, though. I can even understand wanting to have a copy of your favourite book with an autograph or little note from the author in it. But a piece of paper with a person's ''doodle'' on it doesn't having anything to do with their talent and why I am a fan, and that's when the celebrity worship comes into play... like people spending money on a lock of Cobain's hair or Lennon's sweater. Who cares? Well, many people do apparently. Slash's pick would only be cool if he played on it. It would still be silly and I wouldn't pay a dime for it, but if he would throw it in the crowd and I'd happen to catch it, I would take it home with me because it represents his guitar playing, and he's the reason why I started playing guitar. I wouldn't care about his socks or one of his thousands bracelets. But hey... if anyone else gets a kick out of an unfinished sandwich belonging to Marlon Brando or a James Dean speeding ticket with his handwriting on it, then fine by me.

Well, I guess you just responded yourself.... Yup, it is what you just described, only applied to other people with different emotions and different connections with their idols than yourself :shrugs:

4 minutes ago, Lio said:

First of all, that's racist. Second, it's not a problem, at least not for me. Someone else raised this subject. Maybe it was you, saying how Axl was so mean as to yell 'eBayers suck', you posted it. Other people said that eBayers were just trying to make a living. Now when I react and just give my opinion, it's 'white people problems with first world problems' and nonsense and ridiculous. :question:

:lol:

So when you run out of arguments the first thing you do is calling someone else a racist? 

Kudos for you, girl. No entendiste nada!

Ugh... ffs.... yes, it's white people problems (and nowhere did I say it was YOUR problem because I don't even know what race you are) because the eBayers, or most of them, are black people... Haven't you realized that? Have you ever asked yourself why is that?

Making a problem out of a few poor kids or unemployed people asking for autographs to sell on EBay is typical of a rich asshole who gets bothered because someone else with ZERO possibilities is trying to make a living. 

The fact that someone will come out of a limousine spitting shit like "ebayers suck" to the people who are around him is vomitive :vomit:and repulsive. You can only do that when you have reached a level of assholeness that even when you are shoveling millions of dollars, you still get bothered that someone else is making a few bucks with your autograph.

What I am saying has got nothing to do with you and your life because I don't know you at all. I am clearly talking about the rich and famous complaining about ridiculos shit.

Are you happy now?

Just now, killuridols said:

Well, I guess you just responded yourself.... Yup, it is what you just described, only applied to other people with different emotions and different connections with their idols than yourself :shrugs:

But I never said it's not allowed, or did I? Just that I think it's odd worshipping something that has nothing to do with the talent, but that's an opinion.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah. From what I understand, these best/worst signers lists have been put together by professional collectors, not fans.

Maybe someone will send them the complaints on Beta's IG and they'll remove Axl from the list :lol:

In US you have anything lists:lol:

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

But I never said it's not allowed, or did I? Just that I think it's odd worshipping something that has nothing to do with the talent, but that's an opinion.

I don't know what you said anymore 😂

The way people live their fandom is very personal and I'm not sure we should be judging on that, unless that person goes into Chapman mode or Karen McNeil, if you want 😜 or Walking Alfred pathetic shit :smiley-confused2:

Most meanings are symbolic and this whole thing is subjective so...

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

I don't know what you said anymore 😂

The way people live their fandom is very personal and I'm not sure we should be judging on that, unless that person goes into Chapman mode or Karen McNeil, if you want 😜 or Walking Alfred pathetic shit :smiley-confused2:

Most meanings are symbolic and this whole thing is subjective so...

Yeah, I don't even think we're disagreeing. It is subjective, and just because I don't get it, doesn't mean it's not okay, but that never stops me from expressing my opinion.

• Like 1

Margret Atwood has a whole different take on this. She wants to be able to have meaningful interactions with her fans, including an autograph, even if they cant be in the same room. So she invented the Long Pen. She can interact with fans around the world via video chat and then sign their book using the machine. A real ink pen on the other mimics her individual signatures and greetings.

If they could set the long pen up for an auto repeat she could sign a million posters and make economically disadvantaged, precarious workers a living wage! :headbang::headbang:

VPbih2Al.jpg

Vo15324l.jpg

Her inspiration:

"You don't have to be in the same room as someone to have a meaningful exchange," she said. "As I was whizzing around the United States on yet another demented book tour, getting up at four in the morning to catch planes, doing two cities a day, eating the Pringle food object out of the mini-bar at night as I crawled around on the hotel room floor, too tired even to phone room service, I thought, 'There must be a better way of doing this.'"

And bonus, she said #demented :lol:

• Haha 1

That is awesome @soon! :headbang:

Goes to show that not all celebrities or famous/notorious people are stuck up bitches looking from above their high mountains of dollars.

The interaction with fans is changing for anyone who wants to change and move on into the 21st century. And fandom is a real thing that exists and is alive, should never be understimated or mistreated.

Have you read Henry Jenkins articles on fandom? He is a Star Wars one, I think and he's done a lot of research on the subject.
I am currently using some of his stuff for my academic purposes.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

I’m good friends with the lead singer of Hoobastank, he comes into my work a lot and we chat it up. The first time I met him we took a photo and since then I won’t even bother with trying to get anything out of it. I’ve realized celebrities are truly just people like us and should be treated only as such. 

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 1

I agree. Celebrities are just people. Our fandom doesn't give us the entitlement to impose on their personal time with such things as autographs, pictures or talking about their work or our fandom. Doing so is no different from the person that comes up to me away from work asking for legal advice. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, killuridols said:

That is awesome @soon! :headbang:

Goes to show that not all celebrities or famous/notorious people are stuck up bitches looking from above their high mountains of dollars.

The interaction with fans in changing for anyone who wants to change and move on into the 21st century. And fandom is a real thing that exists and is alive, should never be understimated or mistreated.

Have you read Henry Jenkins articles on fandom? He is a Star Wars one, I think and he's done a lot of research on the subject.
I am currently using some of his stuff for my academic purposes.

It's pretty cool, eh?! 

I haven't read anything by Henry Jenkins but it sounds intriguing. I hope there will be Star Wars references! 

I guess we are derailing thread, but Im curious what your academic work focuses on?

On topic: I believe that Axl is heating up an Arnies pizza, trying to make himself believe that he's happy for Brian Johnson.

2 minutes ago, soon said:

I haven't read anything by Henry Jenkins but it sounds intriguing. I hope there will be Star Wars references! 

I guess we are derailing thread, but Im curious what your academic work focuses on?

Yeah, he has worked a lot with transmedia, storytelling, fandoms and fan fiction.

Here is his website, if you go to the Archives section, you will find all of his articles since he started writing a blog, back in 2006 (if I'm not mistaken)

http://henryjenkins.org/

My thesis is about how one of the major digital platforms of the world is basically an artifact built by different social groups who give it a symbolic meaning and how this artifact is potentially a conflictive arena where there's a ongoing battle between different forms of power (the platform and its users). The tensions in this arena of conflict are mostly political, social, cultural and economical.

27 minutes ago, soon said:

On topic: I believe that Axl is heating up an Arnies pizza, trying to make himself believe that he's happy for Brian Johnson.

:lol:

I think he was in Iceland with Beta, Vanesa and her family for some extended vacations after the tour.

They all went back two days ago.

• GNFNR 1

Celebrities are limited and generally trying to get in their vehicles etc when signing autographs. What little time they do have I'm sure they'd rather sign for actual fans who appreciate it. It does take out of their time. I doubt they want to waste time signing for people who got it to profit.

Imagine he only has time to sign day 20 but finds out that he signed 20 and found most of them on ebay.

That takes away from other people who may get turned away due to time constraints.

Axl isn't the first and won't be the last that has denied autographs for things like this. 

@Killeridols

Axl announced a few times over a year ago he wont be signing autographs anymore due to ebayers.

I've heard in certain situations he has but considering he told everyone over a year ago that was before this persons story.

What possibly happened was he just repeated exactly what one of his twitter posts said which is ebayers suck.

It was his way of reiterating his earlier post about how he was sorry to the real fans appreciates them but won't sign autographs due to ebayers.

Another post made maybe a month or two after had the ebayerd suck only.

He's letting the fans know his posts still stand about it and perhaps he is familiar with some of these ebayer and called them out about it.

I'd rather real fans get the chance for an autograph instead of some random person when we all know it's only gonna be a limited amount who get it anyway.

Imagine a real fan not getting one due to a bunch of ebayers and then purchasing said autograph for a lot of money on ebay because they really wanted it.

You'd be surprised after concerts how much lithosphere go for on ebay. Only a limited amount are available and many fans can't get them as they are gone at the concert quick at times. 

It's good they try to keep that kind of thing in fans hands not having them pay some person 100's or 1000's of dollars.

1 hour ago, BOSSY78 said:

@Killeridols

Axl announced a few times over a year ago he wont be signing autographs anymore due to ebayers.

I've heard in certain situations he has but considering he told everyone over a year ago that was before this persons story.

He tweeted about Ebayers twice in 2016. However, he signed and took pictures with a bunch of fans throughout the whole 2016, 2017 and 2018. 

Imagine he only has time to sign day 20 but finds out that he signed 20 and found most of them on ebay.

Why would Axl be checking Ebay looking for his own autographs? :lol:

That's fucked up or it's too much time on his hands. Both options would be sad, really.

I'd rather real fans get the chance for an autograph instead of some random person when we all know it's only gonna be a limited amount who get it anyway.

Of course, but how can Axl determine who is an eBayer and who is not? Does he have an scanner incorporated into his brain that can throw Google results, like the Terminator II? :lol:

giphy.gif

Imagine a real fan not getting one due to a bunch of ebayers and then purchasing said autograph for a lot of money on ebay because they really wanted it.

Yeah, I can imagine :blink: and who's fault that's gonna be?

Axl's, of course! He could have stopped and signed it. Because not signing it, doesn't prevent an eBayer from faking an autograph and trying to sell it anyway. So this Axl method is useless and it only ends up hurting fans, not the ebayers.

You'd be surprised after concerts how much lithosphere go for on ebay. Only a limited amount are available and many fans can't get them as they are gone at the concert quick at times. 

I'd be surprised, huh? Yeah, I became a fan yesterday and never attended a show..

Ugh, the probabilities of getting a litho are really low, because as you said, they are limited and only maybe the 5% of the concert-goers will get them, with or without eBayers around. It's a mathematical thing, not an EBay issue.

Getting a litho is not for everybody, it requires investment of time, money and effort. I am almost sure that any fan who really wants a litho will get it. But usually people won't put on the effort so yeah, eBay is the last resort for the lazy ones and for collectors who cannot attend every single show. I really don't see it as a bad thing.

It's good they try to keep that kind of thing in fans hands not having them pay some person 100's or 1000's of dollars.

This part is really hilarious because:

1) some people really DO pay that amount of money for either real or fake autographs

2) there's no proven system to prevent transactions between individuals

3) the band is selling an AFD box set which costs 1000 bucks and it is more of a ripoff than any real or fake Axl autograph, lol 😂😂😂😂

Edited by killuridols

23 minutes ago, killuridols said:

He tweeted about Ebayers twice in 2016. However, he signed and took pictures with a bunch of fans throughout the whole 2016, 2017 and 2018. 

Why would Axl be checking Ebay looking for his own autographs? :lol:

That's fucked up or it's too much time on his hands. Both options would be sad, really.

Of course, but how can Axl determine who is an eBayer and who is not? Does he have an scanner incorporated into his brain that can throw Google results, like the Terminator II? :lol:

giphy.gif

Yeah, I can imagine :blink: and who's fault that's gonna be?

Axl's, of course! He could have stopped and signed it. Because not signing it, doesn't prevent an eBayer from faking an autograph and trying to sell it anyway. So this Axl method is useless and it only ends up hurting fans, not the ebayers.

I'd be surprised, huh? Yeah, I became a fan yesterday and never attended a show..

Ugh, the probabilities of getting a litho are really low, because as you said, they are limited and only maybe the 5% of the concert-goers will get them, with or without eBayers around. It's a mathematical thing, not an EBay issue.

Getting a litho is not for everybody, it requires investment of time, money and effort. I am almost sure that any fan who really wants a litho will get it. But usually people won't put on the effort so yeah, eBay is the last resort for the lazy ones and for collectors who cannot attend every single show. I really don't see it as a bad thing.

This part is really hilarious because:

1) some people really DO pay that amount of money for either real or fake autographs

2) there's no proven system to prevent transactions between individuals

3) the band is selling an AFD box set which costs 1000 bucks and it is more of a ripoff than any real or fake Axl autograph, lol 😂😂😂😂

While reading your response all I could do is think about how I wrote Lithosphere instead of Lithograph.😆

In all honesty it doesn't matter how much you think a box set is worth or anything. For all we know Universal set those prices not the band itself.

The point is Axl made it known over a year ago he wasn't going to be signing autographs due to ebayers. 

You expected him to pinpoint out 1 person in a likely group of 100's or 1000's and sign an autograph. 

Coming out of a long show where you just want to leave and being bombarded where things are being shoved in your face to sign by mostly people trying to profit is ridiculous. He doesn't have to sign anything. These artists are familiar with the ebayers and what many of them look like. I'm not gonna sit here and explain how easy it would be to recognize some of them but asking them a question or two sometimes makes it easy or the fact they are recording you signing or taking a picture of you signing as proof of signature is another.They've called some out before even. I believe theres even videos around of Axl calling some out or where he is believed to be.  He likely saw them there and decided to just not sign. I never said he never signed them after. In fact I said I  heard he has in certain circumstances. Those obviously have been determined by him. This one fan wasn't singled out. 

He doesn't owe anyone his signature. 

Many celebrities don't sign autographs period. 

I doubt it's Axl sifting through ebay but someone else. Oh and how would it be sad or too much time on his hands when it takes more time or just as much time to post a few posts and read a forum then it does to type something into the search bar and see the results? 

Generally in those settings only a small amount of people get an autograph signed before the artist manages to get in their car and leave. If someone from his team knows on a particular day he signed 20 autographs that day and found most of them on ebay then yes its valid.

You act like this one person was the only person there and that there wasn't a bunch of people as per usual.

Either way he said he wasnt signing them prior to this. Fans were put on notice and he apologized. 

Rather he's an ass for it or not doesn't matter. Again he made it known over a year ago. It's his decision to sign or not sign autographs.

A box set pushed by the record label is not exactly the same thing as an artist trying to get in their vehicle and deciding to sign autographs or not.

I did hear there are other situations where he has signed them as mentioned before.

Either way I've said what I have to say on it. You have your opinion and I have mine. We don't agree and I'm  tired so,respectful I'll leave it at that.