What is Axl up to these days?

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

No one feels they're "owed" anything. Owing your fans and treating them with any level of decency are two totally different things. 

This is perplexing. When hasn't the band treated me with decency? The just finished a great tour and did a tiered re-release of AFD. That's, I suppose, decent of them (?). Can't really say I feel mistreated in any way. I don't particularly like the fact that they won't release more music, especially if they also are behind the takedown of unreleased material, but it would be mindboggling to call protection of copyrighted material "indecent". I don't like it, but I get it. Someone also stole that artwork, sure, but I seriously doubt it was Frank, or Duff, or anyone else in the band who did it, nor that they even knew of it. Probably some artists hired to create artwork. From the posts here it is like some posters feel they've been shafted by the band, again and again. And I don't get it. Its amusingly hysterical.

2 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

According to rights to the name Axl=Guns N' Roses. Axl did this.

I didn't get that. Axl found the artwork on Nightrain and asked some artist to create a proper version they could use on merch? Is that what you are saying? 

45 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

This is perplexing. When hasn't the band treated me with decency? The just finished a great tour and did a tiered re-release of AFD. That's, I suppose, decent of them (?). Can't really say I feel mistreated in any way. I don't particularly like the fact that they won't release more music, especially if they also are behind the takedown of unreleased material, but it would be mindboggling to call protection of copyrighted material "indecent". I don't like it, but I get it. Someone also stole that artwork, sure, but I seriously doubt it was Frank, or Duff, or anyone else in the band who did it, nor that they even knew of it. Probably some artists hired to create artwork. From the posts here it is like some posters feel they've been shafted by the band, again and again. And I don't get it. Its amusingly hysterical.

I didn't get that. Axl found the artwork on Nightrain and asked some artist to create a proper version they could use on merch? Is that what you are saying? 

I totally agree with you. Russ still has not answered my question either. I never listened to his podcast nor will I do so. This isn't meant to be disrespectful, but I really don't have any interests to listen.

I'm very unclear as to how he thinks fans are being mistreated. I definitely do not feel mistreated by GNR. I don't always agree with how things are done, but never felt mistreated. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Axl coming here "ends up being a shit show"? Are you kidding me? Axl visiting the boards back in 2008 (2009?) was epic.

Not for the mods it wasn't :lol:

Overall it ended up being a lot more trouble than it was worth, or at least that's what I've been told.

Just now, Draguns said:

I totally agree with you. Russ still has not answered my question either. I never listened to his podcast nor will I do so. This isn't meant to be disrespectful, but I really don't have any interests to listen.

I'm very unclear as to how he thinks fans are being mistreated. I definitely do not feel mistreated by GNR. I don't always agree with how things are done, but never felt mistreated. 

I think an argument can be made that Team Brazil (and I won't equate TB and GN'R) treats parts of the fanbase with some contempt. It is partly their fault and partly the fault of the fanbase (just consider the amount of abuse that has been thrown towards TB over the years). It is a poor relationship and it would be in the best interest of the band to fix this, because, after all, we can do lots of good for the band if we are working together. So the band should tell TB to start mending fences, to be the grown-ups and reach out to us, or, if that doesn't work, to open other channels of communication with this part of the fanbase (either themselves or through a professional PR agency) and try to remove TB from any communication since they aren't doing it well. But one can't really blame the band for not bothering with that, because we are pretty insignificant as far as the fanbase goes and it might seem like a waste of money and effort. And I am also not at all certain the band is fully aware of how poor the situation between this part of the fanbase and TB is right now.

3 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

No, I'm saying that he is responsible for what GNR/Team Brazil do

To some extent he is. I doubt he micromanages things, though :lol:

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Not for the mods it wasn't :lol:

Overall it ended up being a lot more trouble than it was worth, or at least that's what I've been told.

I can imagine it was busy :lol:

Overall I think it was fantastic for the fanbase, but of course I don't know how much work it was for the forums themselves.

TB has always done their job horrendously wrong. I can't even remember the last time they did anything right. plus they've always been treating the fanbase like enemies, hiring mentally ill people to harass fans, threatening people for expressing their sincere fandom, or stealing their work and monetizing it.

so fuck them. there's no other way to say it. it's not us who want this bad situation, I'm sure that EVERY fan on this forum and other forums just want a normally communicating management, normal communication with the band and to be happy. 

those incompetent douches do whatever they can to make things boiling bad, desperately looking for any kind of conflict and utterly disrespecting and angering their fanbase.

so yeah, fuck them.

• Like 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

By "mistreated" I'm talking about how they have yet to release any new music over the past 10 years yet they find new ways to try to over charge fans for old material or just plain junk. The "VIP pricing" for the NITL Tour, the $1000 Locked & Loaded set, everything to do with GNRair, the overall lack of value in Nightrain along with the fact that many fans never even receive the items for signing up...... those are some examples of how the band treats it's fans and why many people feel that it's a disrespectful way to treat your fans.

A brand starts putting out products you don't happen to like (although others do), and that is disrespectful? I don't get that, I really don't. Just don't buy the products? 

Personally, I find all the worthless junk they sell (or try to sell) absolutely cringeworthy. It is laughable. But are they disrespecting me? No, don't see it that way. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

A brand starts putting out products you don't happen to like (although others do), and that is disrespectful? I don't get that, I really don't. Just don't buy the products? 

Personally, I find all the worthless junk they sell (or try to sell) absolutely cringeworthy. It is laughable. But are they disrespecting me? No, don't see it that way. 

And again, that's good for you. I don't even mean that in a snarky/shitty way. I mean that's genuinely good for you. Many, many other people feel the complete opposite from the way you do though.

1 minute ago, Wagszilla said:

ITT:

Consumers tell corporation how to earn their money

Consumers upset favorite business fails to capitalize on their desires

Consumers question corporation's unethical business practices

@SoulMonster Are you from Stockholm? 

Nope, I am Norwegian.

Still thinking about how fans can feel that they are being disrespected when a band doesn't do as they want to do (and this has nothing to do with your post, zombux). I suppose it can be explained if said fans are so emotionally invested in the band that when the band does things ways they don't like, they feel personally violated. The investment in time and emotions have someone made them feel entitled to a different outcome, although all they have done for the band they have done out of their own free will. Like they have entered some unwritten agreement with the band that goes, "I am going to be an ardent fan of you and then you do things this way," and when that doesn't happen they feel disrespected. That's the only way I can explain this.

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

And again, that's good for you. I don't even mean that in a snarky/shitty way. I mean that's genuinely good for you. Many, many other people feel the complete opposite from the way you do though.

Obviously, and thanks. But I don't know if it is a particularly constructive reaction to what is happening, nor entirely justified. See my last post above on that.

34 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

It's cool that you find humor in it, but a lot of us don't. I'm also happy you don't feel mistreated but again, many other fans do. The videos being taken down doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about either. 

By "mistreated" I'm talking about how they have yet to release any new music over the past 10 years yet they find new ways to try to over charge fans for old material or just plain junk. The "VIP pricing" for the NITL Tour, the $1000 Locked & Loaded set, everything to do with GNRair, the overall lack of value in Nightrain along with the fact that many fans never even receive the items for signing up...... those are some examples of how the band treats it's fans and why many people feel that it's a disrespectful way to treat your fans.

This isn't mistreatment, though. This is just the fact that you don't agree with things. This is totally different. I didn't agree with Axl on taking over the GNR name and hiring people that should have never been in GNR during the NU-GNR era. I didn't agree with the $1,000 box set either.

With that being said, people have the choice to buy the boxset, Nightrain membership, and "VIP" tickets. Some people who bought the Locked & Loaded set enjoyed it. My personal thoughts on it is that it was crap. Still, people had that choice and need to accept the responsibility if they are not happy with it rather than placing blame on a band. 

I think there hasn't been a release of no new music as a result of two people returning to the band. To build or rebuild chemistry takes time. As a result, it's much easier to just release something old than create something new.  I really can't fault them for that. 

Lastly, I think SoulMaster nailed it. 

Edited by Draguns
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Draguns said:

This isn't mistreatment, though. This is just the fact that you don't agree with things. This is totally different. I didn't agree with Axl on taking over the GNR name and hiring people that should have never been in GNR during the NU-GNR era. I didn't agree with the $1,000 box set either.

With that being said, people have the choice to buy the boxset, Nightrain membership, and "VIP" tickets. Some people who bought the Locked & Loaded set enjoyed it. My personal thoughts on it is that it was crap. Still, people had that choice and need to accept the responsibility if they are not happy with it rather than placing blame on a band. 

I think there hasn't been a release of no new music as a result of two people returning to the band. To build or rebuild chemistry takes time. As a result, it's much easier to just release something old than create something new.  I really can't fault them for that. 

Lastly, I think SoulMaster nailed it. 

I get that the two of you feel otherwise, but as I said many, many others disagree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I heard this story recently.

This company makes French Bread Pizza. 

They change the recipe of the French Bread Pizza.

The consumers realize it tastes much different. Like shit actually. 

So they complain to the company. "This is bullshit". "We'll eat other pizza if you don't fix this". "This tastes horrible".

The company, not wanting to lose the customers business, change the recipe back to the original recipe of French Bread Pizza.

The consumers are now happy.

The company tried to pull a fast one and got caught with their pants down.

The medium is the message.

By not listening to fans, Guns N' Roses is communicating in giant bold neon billboard sized letters "we don't care"

So yes, it is their right to do so.

Just as it is the fans right to complain and demand change.

If you value the relationship, you will listen. If not... you will not.

Again...

That logic describes the CD era supply and demand, but ever since the 3 out of 5 reunion the band was in full on compliance mode, trying to please everyone with nothing but nostalgia. I miss the edge and artistry of the CD era. AC/DC must have felt like a breath of fresh air for Axl and look what happened - he sang the fuck out of these songs and had more charisma than in his own band. This whole reunion thing gave the mainstream audience and the music industry what they always wanted - a tame, safe, corporate "buy my t-shirt" hipster compatbile GNR. It's quite an achievement, dut deep down neither the band nor the fans seem to be fully satisfied with it.

Edited by adamsapple

2 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I heard this story recently.

This company makes French Bread Pizza. 

They change the recipe of the French Bread Pizza.

The consumers realize it tastes much different. Like shit actually. 

So they complain to the company. "This is bullshit". "We'll eat other pizza if you don't fix this". "This tastes horrible".

The company, not wanting to lose the customers business, change the recipe back to the original recipe of French Bread Pizza.

The consumers are now happy.

The company tried to pull a fast one and got caught with their pants down.

This story had a happy ending. There's crucial information missing though. What percentage of the company's customers did the complainers represent? If it was, say, 80%, then the company naturally and rationally responded to the complaints because, otherwise, it would have gone bankrupt, so it had no choice. But if the complaints came from a small percentage of loyal customers who bought the pizza every day, but there was still a large number of customers who continued buying it occasionally and were happy with it despite the change of the recipe and the lower quality/cheaper ingredients used,  the company would have to consider whether and to what extent that small percentage of consumers affected the overall profits; so, it would have a choice to either ignore the complaints and continue with the new recipe, or respond to the complaining customers, maybe thinking that, although their direct contribution to the profits was negligible, they were valuable in the grand scheme of things, because they served as advertisers of the company and its products with their loyalty. 

Regardless of the percentage, what the reaction of the dissatisfied customers would be if the pizza company didn't respond to their complaints? They would, of course, stop consuming this company's product and buy another another company's pizzas, although they would probably still miss their favourite pizza that was no more. In other words, they would move on.

But the hardcore fans of a band won't do that, at least not the hardcore GnR fans apparently, because there is much more emotional involvement than with a pizza company. They act like sports fans (that's something that hadn't crossed my mind before joining this forum, not having much prior experience with music fans communities): they keep following the band/team and even continue to buy tickets to games/concerts although everything about it sucks to them currently, while at the same time bitching about performances, management etc.

So I don't think the analogy with the pizza company works, because this is a case of fans of a band who act like fans of a sports team, yet they would want to be treated as the consumers of a pizza (or equivalent) product.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

No offense, but are you speaking for all the mods and @downzy with that statement? The last few times he came around the forum was hilarious and informative. If he wanted to return, you make it sound like the mods wouldn’t accommodate such a thing. Weird.

I somehow missed this yesterday.

No offense taken. To my knowledge, @downzy feels the same way about that I do in that Axl coming back to the forum would cause more harm than good. Downzy is obviously welome to speak from himself on the topic but that's the impression I'm under.

For the record, if Axl to return to the forum we would of course be accomodating. We would do everything we could to make it as smooth of an experience as possible. It's just not something we've ever pursued though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T-Minus said:

The problem with TB's management style is the fact that they will do anything and everything to satisfy their ginger master and nobody or nothing else matters as long as that particular baby has it's bottle.

They don't seem to realise how their decisions and way of communication in the long run may hurt everyone and everything more than they think it might benefit short term. Them being his friends and family I do believe they really mean well from the bottom of their hearts. But if that's the case they are not able to seperate business and family as they are emotionally attached and involved, wich is never a good basis to do professional business. You know it stinks when you hear anyone say no one knows a person better than them. I'd say no one knows a person better than the person themselves but that's just me. The bucket goes to the well everyday, one day the bottom will fall out.