What is Axl up to these days?

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I somehow missed this yesterday.

No offense taken. To my knowledge, @downzy feels the same way about that I do in that Axl coming back to the forum would cause more harm than good. Downzy is obviously welome to speak from himself on the topic but that's the impression I'm under.

For the record, if Axl to return to the forum we would of course be accomodating. We would do everything we could to make it as smooth of an experience as possible. It's just not something we've ever pursued though. 

I think I understand what you're saying. 

I think it's a little off setting to many you hear that mods and owner don't want Axl here. It may very well be for good reasons but it doesn't do good imo for how some connected to Guns have seen this forum over the years.

I'm a member of that other Band friendly forum but it's pretty dead over there most days. It's why I prefer this forum. I also like the diverse opinions and what not.

I personally was a lurker of this forum the first time Axl came on though I've been logged on while Fernando has been on. I think I actually didn't end up joining until 2012.I know on a technical side it must be frustrating due to crashes and overload etc.

I don't mean any disrespect with this post but just wanted to chime in on what others may be thinking about what you said.

It's long been a discussion on this forum how they need to communicate better. This is the most popular GnR forum out there. I of course don't expect Axl or any other band member to come to this forum as it's actually not something artists generally do anyway. However, he has come here before and so has his management. 

17 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

It's long been a discussion on this forum how they need to communicate better. This is the most popular GnR forum out there. I of course don't expect Axl or any other band member to come to this forum as it's actually not something artists generally do anyway. However, he has come here before and so has his management. 

Easy for them to turn it all around with very little effort in a few easy steps without losing face and them and GNR skyrocketing in the eye of the fans and the general public. ;)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

I think I understand what you're saying. 

I think it's a little off setting to many you hear that mods and owner don't want Axl here. It may very well be for good reasons but it doesn't do good imo for how some connected to Guns have seen this forum over the years.

I'm a member of that other Band friendly forum but it's pretty dead over there most days. It's why I prefer this forum. I also like the diverse opinions and what not.

I personally was a lurker of this forum the first time Axl came on though I've been logged on while Fernando has been on. I think I actually didn't end up joining until 2012.I know on a technical side it must be frustrating due to crashes and overload etc.

I don't mean any disrespect with this post but just wanted to chime in on what others may be thinking about what you said.

It's not really that we don't want him to. We've just never made any requests for it and I don't think we will any time soon is all. 

That's also just my opinion but like I said before, I do believe downzy feels the same way. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Easy for them to turn it all around with very little effort in a few easy steps without losing face and them and GNR skyrocketing in the eye of the fans and the general public. ;)

True but some of the things fans want to know have been communicated.

For example new music has been answered.

Some of the things fans want communicated are not really our business though it doesn't mean we won't wonder or want the answer anyway lol.

Sometimes fans can be abusive and maybe not realize it. This goes for any band artist etc. Of course as public figures they are going to get criticism and what not but imagine it another way.

Imagine your introducing some friends to another friend. On one side you have the ones who call you fat lazy and criticize your clothing choices when you speak when you don't speak.

On the other you have the ones who don't care what you wear what you eat don't call you names and just enjoy your company.

As hard core fans we've likened the two as hard core and casual fans. Which one sounds more appealing to you?

This doesn't mean hard core fans aren't important perhaps they need to do better with communicating with us and we need to get better at understanding its 2018 not 1992 even 2010 or whatever year. We have stood by this band through the decades. The two sides have just lost touch which is sad.

This is how GnR fan base is made up. Honestly I'd wager other bands and artists fan groups can be similar.

I mean within weeks of their last concert we already have a thread about what is Axl doing. It's like the man isn't entitled to have a rest after years of touring. 

Not to be harsh on our fan base but we sometimes live in the past. People change. I know many joke around we get bored waiting for news. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

It's not really that we don't want him to. We've just never made any requests for it and I don't think we will any time soon is all. 

That's also just my opinion but like I said before, I do believe downzy feels the same way. 

I think I can understand. I remember how it was. I remember getting online and checking the forum for news. I kept getting an error. So I kept reloading the page. I eventually got in though it was on and off. Of course when I saw why I was like holy shit.

I was mad at myself for not joining already. Instead I lurked in the background for a long time on this forum.

I remember the chaos it caused and honestly felt more could have came from it but the focus was turned into a personal area for many fans at the time.

I've seen forums have a submission area and the admin would do an interview vetting out questions and or posting all and allowing the artist to respond to what they wanted.

For example a post is made asking for questions. Out of those questions an agreed upon amount of questions is chosen. Those are presented to the artist and the full response posted to the forum. It keeps it more organized and less chaotic and also removed out questions likely not to get an answer.

More artists are likely to do this as well.

On 10/08/2018 at 12:24 AM, sl4yer said:

My post "Taco Bell, Pizza, Beer, TV Shows and his pets" isn't sarcasm 

"Alfie Bones:: Jarmo, do you know the reason behind the name Dexter? Is he a fan of the show (on Showtime)? Just curious...No need to reply if the reason is deemed private/personal.

Pine Barrens:: Could be because of the guy from The Offspring, too... but I'd rather it be the TV show.

Axl: The show and my cat named after the show, she's a methodical killer."

And Melissa calling him junk food advisor.

You can tell it's all kinda jokes and sarcasm but..

Can't help to think that It looks like Frozen Pizza!:facepalm:

And it's called Arni's...

Edited by Propaganda

4 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

This doesn't mean hard core fans aren't important perhaps they need to do better with communicating with us and we need to get better at understanding its 2018 not 1992 even 2010 or whatever year. We have stood by this band through the decades. The two sides have just lost touch which is sad.

Very well said, I agree. Though I do think the band actually did try and do something for everyone, you can never please all. But they did something for the hardcore base with deep cuts, coering VR and long shows, I just don't think communicating to connoisseurs as if it was the McDonalds type of crowd is a smart thing to do.

I mean within weeks of their last concert we already have a thread about what is Axl doing. It's like the man isn't entitled to have a rest after years of touring.

Sure, but when that dude takes a vacation chances are he goes full on hermit mode for like ages! :lol: The initial idea of my original post was basically just like hey man keep going and don't let everyone else doing something else stop you from doing your own creative thing, I can't wait for some new music and who's with me on this and what do you guys think, you know? But I like how this whole thread turned out, some really good insights here from lots of different viewpoints that I appreciate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Very well said, I agree. Though I do think the band actually did try and do something for everyone, you can never please all. But they did something for the hardcore base with deep cuts, coering VR and long shows, I just don't think communicating to connoisseurs as if it was the McDonalds type of crowd is a smart thing to do.

Sure, but when that dude takes a vacation chances are he goes full on hermit mode for like ages! :lol: The initial idea of my original post was basically just like hey man keep going and don't let everyone else doing something else stop you from doing your own creative thing, I can't wait for some new music and who's with me on this and what do you guys think, you know? But I like how this whole thread turned out, some really good insights here from lots of different viewpoints that I appreciate.

Yea I definitely think they aimed the AFD remaster sets at the hardcore fans. There is so much in it. There really is a version for everyone there. From casual hardcore to collector. 

It's a great example actually. 

No jabs at your post in all honesty. I myself have been posting in it and at the time we had no idea what was going on with AXL/DC.

It's more some of the comments that will likely and have followed.

I hope he doesn't disappear for a while as well. That was when it was hard as a GnR fan. No news for years. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

More like california cheese-ish bread-ish something. You serve that as pizza in Europe you can close your restaurant the same day. :lol:

Seriously that pizza looks worse than Pizza Hut and that's saying something. It has no bread on the boards...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Still thinking about how fans can feel that they are being disrespected when a band doesn't do as they want to do (and this has nothing to do with your post, zombux). I suppose it can be explained if said fans are so emotionally invested in the band that when the band does things ways they don't like, they feel personally violated. The investment in time and emotions have someone made them feel entitled to a different outcome, although all they have done for the band they have done out of their own free will. Like they have entered some unwritten agreement with the band that goes, "I am going to be an ardent fan of you and then you do things this way," and when that doesn't happen they feel disrespected. That's the only way I can explain this.

Nah

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

But the hardcore fans of a band won't do that, at least not the hardcore GnR fans apparently, because there is much more emotional involvement than with a pizza company. They act like sports fans (that's something that hadn't crossed my mind before joining this forum, not having much prior experience with music fans communities): they keep following the band/team and even continue to buy tickets to games/concerts although everything about it sucks to them currently, while at the same time bitching about performances, management etc.

So I don't think the analogy with the pizza company works, because this is a case of fans of a band who act like fans of a sports team, yet they would want to be treated as the consumers of a pizza (or equivalent) product.

Music fans are actually quite similar to sports fans. Pizza companies don't have loyal fanbases, but bands do.

The pizza analogy works if one day Pizza Hut stop selling pizza. Instead, they put all their efforts into travelling around the world and saying, "Hey, do you remember when we used to make pizza? Gee, that was fun!". Then, they put plastic replicas of pizza into a box and sell it for $1000.

If Pizza Hut did that, consumers would be pissed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

The pizza analogy works if one day Pizza Hut stop selling pizza. Instead, they put all their efforts into travelling around the world and saying, "Hey, do you remember when we used to make pizza? Gee, that was fun!". Then, they put plastic replicas of pizza into a box and sell it for $1000.

If Pizza Hut did that, consumers would be pissed.

No, because a pizza company would never do that, and if they did, not a single customer would either go to the Pizza Hut tour :lol: or buy the pizza replicas.

It could work though, as someone pointed out earlier, as a reversed analogy for the NuGnR era. The majority of the fans didn't want Axl to continue as GnR being the only original member; they wanted him to get back with the original band instead. Axl didn't respond to the majority of his fans/customers and was hated for that. A smaller number of fans, though, liked the new band and the music it produced, and liked it that Axl didn't listen to the other fans; their only complaint was that he didn't release more of the music. And now these fans are pissed because Axl finally did what the other fans wanted, or almost: he is back with most of the original band and acknowledges its legacy with the AFD reissue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

No offense, but are you speaking for all the mods and @downzy with that statement? The last few times he came around the forum was hilarious and informative. If he wanted to return, you make it sound like the mods wouldn’t accommodate such a thing. Weird.

Of course we'd love to have Axl stop by again, but it would have to be under the right circumstances.

Too often it seems like some on this forum speak with the clear intent to provoke Axl into logging on and giving some sort of vitriol response.  I've received numerous PMs from various members about strategies to coax Axl to come back to the forum - all of them involving pissing him off and provoking a response.  We do the best we can to dissuade and shut down these attempts.  Our biggest fear is that their attempts might actually work and Axl would use this platform not to converse with fans but to fight fire with fire.  We have a strict rule with respect to attacking people personally and that would apply to all members, including Dexter.  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, downzy said:

Of course we'd love to have Axl stop by again, but it would have to be under the right circumstances.

Too often it seems like some on this forum speak with the clear intent to provoke Axl into logging on and giving some sort of vitriol response.  I've received numerous PMs from various members about strategies to coax Axl to come back to the forum - all of them involving pissing him off and provoking a response.  We do the best we can to dissuade and shut down these attempts.  Our biggest fear is that their attempts might actually work and Axl would use this platform not to converse with fans but to fight fire with fire.  We have a strict rule with respect to attacking people personally and that would apply to all members, including Dexter.  

If Axl got kicked out of a fan forum for being too abrasive would make for some hilarious headlines in the music press :lol:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

If Axl got kicked out of a fan forum for being too abrasive would make for some hilarious headlines in the music press :lol:

"Axl Rose banned from Guns N' Roses fan forum." - Best. Headline. Ever. :lol:

If he decides to chat and people talk to him in a normal way I guess all should be cool. Mods could just collect questions, compile sort of an interview and then officially invite him to cherry pick the ones he'd like to answer in his own words at his own pace. I'd actually just have some music and art related questions, none of them would be insulting and just one might be a little controversial.

I just came across this comment in one of Beta's Instagram posts. I took a screenshot because it is proof of the mistreatment of the fans, apparently by Axl himself.

It is in Portuguese so I will translate it below:

20180812_150829.thumb.jpg.b3d7e269d0fe520f4493a82dd8b457e7.jpg

"Beta, I have already met you twice in Lisbon, first time was at the shopping mall and second time at the hotel, do you remember me? I attended the Barcelona show a month ago (golden vip) and I was at the airport the day of your departure. Axl got out of the car (you were inside) and he said: 'Ebayers suck'.

I just wanted to tell you that I was there and I am a real fan, not an autograph merchant. I was deeply hurt by that. Kisses for you."

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I just came across this comment in one of Beta's Instagram posts. I took a screenshot because it is proof of the mistreatment of the fans, apparently by Axl himself.

It is in Portuguese so I will translate it below:

20180812_150829.thumb.jpg.b3d7e269d0fe520f4493a82dd8b457e7.jpg

"Beta, I have already met you twice in Lisbon, first time was at the shopping mall and second time at the hotel, do you remember me? I attended the Barcelona show a month ago (golden vip) and I was at the airport the day of your departure. Axl got out of the car (you were inside) and he said: 'Ebayers suck'.

I just wanted to tell you that I was there and I am a real fan, not an autograph merchant. I was deeply hurt by that. Kisses for you."

:rolleyes:

Hardly mistreatment. If you're following any rocker around, forcing his staff/family into conversation to coerce your way into an autograph or picture...being ignored or met with skepticism due to the widespread and real eBay issue...? Don't be surprised. Dude is on an insane schedule. Let him live and tour in peace so we can all enjoy 👍

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ramsey said:

Hardly mistreatment. If you're following any rocker around, forcing his staff/family into conversation to coerce your way into an autograph or picture...being ignored or met with skepticism due to the widespread and real eBay issue...? Don't be surprised. Dude is on an insane schedule. Let him live and tour in peace so we can all enjoy 👍

real eBay issue?? pffffffffffffffffffffffffffff :lol::lol::lol:

WTF is the "eBay issue"? Sounds like terrorism for idiots..... my gawd.... and yes, it is mistreatment because why make that fuckin' shit comment to your fans?

Grandpa scribble will not make anyone millionaire, ffs, what sort of unreal world is he living at that he thinks so high of himself?

LOL

• Like 1

he probably used the Internet for the first time, found some e-mail about free iPhones and sent his money to fake eBay guy who sent him a brick and now he's furious about the "garbage can".

oh well, at least he didn't try helping a nigerian prince :) 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

That's what I fear the most.  

A reprise of the "Madison Incident" is something we'd like to avoid at all costs.  

• Like 2