New Slash interviews (The Times, Classic Rock)

4 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

I'm curious too.

I will say the interview piece didn't flow well because you had to guess at questions asked as the writer/interviewer just filled in a bunch of his own information gathered with some answers from Slash.

Some of the things mentioned were likely not discussed but thrown in the write up for a sort of background.

I don't think it was a good interview for those reasons.

For example the whole Slash citing Axl's lateness was likely not done by Slash in this interview but taken from one years ago and made to look like Slash said it here. The true question asked isn't included per se. Most of the interview flows like this.

These types of interviews are why bands don't do interviews. It could make it seem something was brought up that really wasn't.

I think you are right. This type of article/interview hybrid piece, which is very common as it's considered more "readable", can be misleading. Especially when there are non quoted parts in third person inserted between the actual quotes, and you have to guess whether it was something said in the flow of the conversation or information/comment added by the writer.

Yeah, the paragraph about Slash citing Axl's lateness, Weiland's and his own chemical issues etc. most likely wasn't part of the conversation but backstory added by the writer.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2018 at 4:35 PM, soon said:

Huh, thanks to instagram we have oodles of photos of Slash and Duff just sitting around near spreads of food in their separate rooms. They haven't been busy with interviews. They cant just walk around town. Mel is so bored she is left to discuss every piece of candy that she consumes, at length.  So, I do not believe that they have been too busy to discuss an album.

It's been discussed, it just hasn't been decided about the when, where and how. Some bands write on the road, some bands don't. Some bands just focus on touring and others are constantly looking ahead and deciding what they want to do next... GNR has never been a band with long term plans.

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It's been discussed, it just hasn't been decided about the when, where and how. Some bands write on the road, some bands don't. Some bands just focus on touring and others are constantly looking ahead and deciding what they want to do next... GNR has never been a band with long term plans.

Well, I dunno, Chinese Democracy was (is?) what I would call a long term plan :lol:. I didn't say that they should have been writing - although they have both written and even recorded while on the road for UYI and Spaghetti - but Slash said they havent had time to discuss new music. We've known since the China Exchange that theres been some level of discussion about new music. I just said that I dont believe when Slash says they havent had time to discuss it. They've have more time then almost any band on tour.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Well, I dunno, Chinese Democracy was (is?) what I would call a long term plan :lol:. I didn't say that they should have been writing - although they have both written and even recorded while on the road for UYI and Spaghetti - but Slash said they havent had time to discuss new music. We've known since the China Exchange that theres been some level of discussion about new music. I just said that I dont believe when Slash says they havent had time to discuss it. They've have more time then almost any band on tour.

Already his words are getting twisted. He said they have discussed it. They haven't had time to go into a studio and actually do it basically.

In fact both Slash and Axl have both said new music was discussed at different points.

People expect them to hold the same type of habits from decades ago. This is a band that had many obstacles to overcome. I'd like to say the long touring was a great way to get the bond going again and kind of test out the waters.

They all likely went into this not knowing the outcome and how they would mesh after all these years. As Slash said they originally only planned a handful of shows but it seems things went well as that turned into a multi year tour.

What others need to realize as well is they do need a break. Sure Slash may not get a long one because he had prior business(album and your for SMKC) to attend to. 

They have families and a life as well. I think new music will definitely come.

I do think Slash should avoid interviewers like this one in the future though. 

How many people will think Slash actually talked about or said some of the things written in this article/interview?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

Already his words are getting twisted. He said they have discussed it. They haven't had time to go into a studio and actually do it basically.

In fact both Slash and Axl have both said new music was discussed at different points.

People expect them to hold the same type of habits from decades ago. This is a band that had many obstacles to overcome. I'd like to say the long touring was a great way to get the bond going again and kind of test out the waters.

They all likely went into this not knowing the outcome and how they would mesh after all these years. As Slash said they originally only planned a handful of shows but it seems things went well as that turned into a multi year tour.

What others need to realize as well is they do need a break. Sure Slash may not get a long one because he had prior business(album and your for SMKC) to attend to. 

They have families and a life as well. I think new music will definitely come.

I do think Slash should avoid interviewers like this one in the future though. 

How many people will think Slash actually talked about or said some of the things written in this article/interview?

Ha, no I am not 'twisting Slashs' words.' He said the following:

“I think everybody thinks it’s a good idea, and everybody would like to do it. There’s no shortage of ideas from everybody involved, but we’ve been so busy on the road there hasn’t really been time to go in and sit down and go, ‘Okay, we’re going to make a record.’”

He is clearly saying that they were too busy to "sit down" and plan to record an album.

All Ive said, and you are twisting, is that they did have time to meet about album plans. Its a very straightforward observation. And I clearly stated that we've all known that some level of discussion about new music has happened as early as The Chna Exchange. Its right there in the post you quoted :facepalm:

"We've known since the China Exchange that theres been some level of discussion about new music."

On 10. 08. 2018. at 10:59 PM, Blackstar said:

Do you seriously think that it hasn't occurred the journalists to ask him these questions?

Probably there's an agreement prior to the interviews that certain questions won't be asked.

if you are clever, there is a way to ask your way around. I doubt there is a rule 'no Izzy, Gilby, Matt questions'.

the questions adressed don't necessarely need to be direct.