Limulus and unreleased UYI proshots

Has anyone been in contact with Limulus or the fellow who said he had several hours worth of proshot UYI material? It was first mentioned in the original Saskatoon thread. Not sure if it’d still be appropriate to discuss given the copyright climate, but I’m so much more interested in this stuff than the HOB 2001 show or the VMA rehearsals 😂 

“This has nothing to do with the actual topic here although I can't wait to see that footage.

But if someone here (preferably in Europe as I live in Austria now so sending would not take too long) is able to digitize from VHS, Video8 and Hi8 I would have a few tapes that might be interesting for the fans here. I don't have a player anymore for neither of them so I can't take pics or videos of the TV but I'm not asking for money just for someone transferring the footage for free - a proper copy of the stuff would be nice though after it's done :D and obviously it should be shared somehow after for free (torrent, YT, whatever)

The footage I'm talking about would be:

Amsterdam - October 2nd, 1987 - VHS Unknown Gen, 20 minutes recorded by the venue with 1 cam, transferred badly to VHS but watchable.

Manchester - October 6th, 1987 - Master Video8, audience shot of the full gig.

Tokyo - December 10th, 1988 - Master Hi8, audience shot of the full gig.

Helsinki - August 13th, 1991 - VHS probably 1st Gen, about 30 minutes pro filmed with 1 cam. No idea who filmed it but I guess a TV station. Got the tape from a finnish workmate years ago.

Vienna - May 23rd, 1992 - VHS from the master tapes, about 90 minutes pro footage filmed by Austrian TV station ORF with 2 cameras as far as I remember. Not all from the gig though, there's a few interview clips with the band and fans plus maybe 5 minutes of the soundcheck, so around 60-70 minutes gig footage. Aside from a few interviews none of this eas shown on TV

Vienna - June 2nd, 1993 - VHS from the master tapes, full gig pro footage, multicam, also by ORF with 2 or 3 cams. None shown on TV

Lyon - July 9th 1993 - 2 Master Hi8 tapes (one shot from the side of the stage and one between fist row and stage) and 1 VHS badly cut together by both. Audience, full gig.

All of them are legit as I watched them all. I would have a few other which I can't confirm as I haven't watched them ever but I would send them too, maybe they are real. Also I have some Video8 and Hi8 tapes filmed by myself from US and UK gigs but they are far from pro but maybe you want to see them.

So if someone is able to digitize them properly I'm happy to give the tapes away."

thats what was supposedlly owned, and someone said that limulus had been contacted about the videos?.. but it’s been a dead topic since then

Gotta ask.... after the Ritz '87, Saskatoon '93 and HOB '01 leaks, what do people consider the 'Holy Grail' of GNR bootlegs to be? For the longest time people said the HOB show was the 'Holy Grail' of the nuGNR era, or of GNR bootlegs in general, but now... personally I'd say the Pantages Theatre 1991 show is the most interesting show in the vault. It was shot on film, they played Bad Apples, did a couple songs with Shannon Hoon, played Yesterdays, You Ain't The First, and Right Next Door To Hell for the first time... the band was at its peak, debuting songs in a small venue... the other 'warm-up shows' from '91 were great, I'd love to see or hear the Pantages show in high quality.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

It started in the Saskatoon thread, but then got it’s way thread. If I remember correctly Limulus didn’t receive the videos so it was determined the man was just lying.

Well damn, I tried searching and couldn’t find those threads looking for key terms. Either way, sounded a little too good to be true; but, at the same time it’s an oddly specific thing to be lying about? Not just having pro-shots, but mentioning dates, specifics etc. who knows

Edited by UsedYourIllusion

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Gotta ask.... after the Ritz '87, Saskatoon '93 and HOB '01 leaks, what do people consider the 'Holy Grail' of GNR bootlegs to be? For the longest time people said the HOB show was the 'Holy Grail' of the nuGNR era, or of GNR bootlegs in general, but now... personally I'd say the Pantages Theatre 1991 show is the most interesting show in the vault. It was shot on film, they played Bad Apples, did a couple songs with Shannon Hoon, played Yesterdays, You Ain't The First, and Right Next Door To Hell for the first time... the band was at its peak, debuting songs in a small venue... the other 'warm-up shows' from '91 were great, I'd love to see or hear the Pantages show in high quality.

Something from ‘87 or ‘91 ideally. Shows like the forum which were over 3 hours would be great; but for me I just want a show that shows great. Axl on point and not sounding like Indiana ‘91.

2 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Something from ‘87 or ‘91 ideally. Shows like the forum which were over 3 hours would be great; but for me I just want a show that shows great. Axl on point and not sounding like Indiana ‘91.

Indiana isn't a great vocal performance overall, but for what it lacks in performance it makes up for with pure, raw, rock n' roll attitude. That was a band at its peak playing their first headlining shows, Izzy was still around, the set was unpredictable, and Axl for better or worse pushed his voice to its limits every night. After Izzy left there was a noticeable difference in Axl's vocal delivery. That's the reason I'd take a show like St. Louis or Indiana over a '92 show. We don't really have an idea of what the Pantages show was like, but the quality of the unreleased Mr Brownstone and My Michelle (which I can no longer find on youtube) videos and the concerts surrounding Pantages leave me very intrigued. Cleaned up, it'd probably be like the It's So Easy video they released for the AFD box set.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'd agree with the Pantages show. I'd also like a pro shot of the second night in Mountain View in 1991, that was a real high energy show like Indiana but Axls vocals were a lot better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don’t really know what he next Holy Grail would be, but I wouldn’t disagree with your Pantages suggestion.  Others for me might be he band’s first ever performance at MSG in 1991.  Or night 3 of MSG in 1991 where they played a ton of UYI 2 material including Locomotive AND Breakdown.  Has the band ever played both those songs in the same show aside from MSG night 3 in 1991?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Macaroni Incident? said:

The HOLY GRAIL is August 3, 1991 (4 hour show!) PRO SHOT video.

It's not even close.

Don’t disagree as it was an epic show with lots of songs but I still think MSG night 3 is possibly more intriguing because of that UYI 2 setlist. 

1 minute ago, WAR41 said:

Don’t disagree as it was an epic show with lots of songs but I still think MSG night 3 is possibly more intriguing because of that UYI 2 setlist. 

not anything personal here, but that just can't top anything from the 91 tour with Izzy :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Personally, I think something from the European shows in September/October in 1987 or something from August 1991.

Those European 1987 shows were killer, and Axl's voice was just insane in August 1991, not to even mention Izzy left after that. 

Tor 3 1987, Globen 1991 or Mannheim 1991 would be awesome. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I was gonna type that exact show before I got to your 2nd sentence. That show really, really, really, really needs to come out as an official release. Prime era GNR, before Grunge hit, with Izzy, debuting songs for the first time and in movie quality, rare performance of Bad Apples, Shannon Hoon came out, just so many good things about that show. The footage really seems to be fantastic judging from those Mr Brownstone and My Michelle videos we got, and they are the only footage of that show that is out there to date.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

Apart from that I want to see the January 1992 show where they played Dust N Bones the one and only time after Izzy left, just because that's never happened before or since, and was the last time that song was ever played live. The audio is so bad you can't even tell who's singing, Duff or Gilby

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

4 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Apart from that I want to see the January 1992 show where they played Dust N Bones the one and only time after Izzy left, just because that's never happened before or since, and was the last time that song was ever played live. The audio is so bad you can't even tell who's singing, Duff or Gilby

Thats Memphis, Jan 1992

I would think the LA Forum show in 1991 is the one to have

On 10/8/2018 at 10:35 PM, WAR41 said:

I don’t really know what he next Holy Grail would be, but I wouldn’t disagree with your Pantages suggestion.  Others for me might be he band’s first ever performance at MSG in 1991.  Or night 3 of MSG in 1991 where they played a ton of UYI 2 material including Locomotive AND Breakdown.  Has the band ever played both those songs in the same show aside from MSG night 3 in 1991?

Night 3 at MSG '91 is a great show, Breakdown was awesome and it was probably the best performance of Locomotive (though each performance of that song is flawed in one way or another, I think MSG is the one where Axl skips the "guess I'll buy myself a cane" line.) He was also in  bad mood that night, saying KOHD would be the last song because "this ain't no Paradise City" or something like that, though he eventually did come back out for PC.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Night 3 at MSG '91 is a great show, Breakdown was awesome and it was probably the best performance of Locomotive (though each performance of that song is flawed in one way or another, I think MSG is the one where Axl skips the "guess I'll buy myself a cane" line.) He was also in  bad mood that night, saying KOHD would be the last song because "this ain't no Paradise City" or something like that, though he eventually did come back out for PC.

So the corollary question must be, what would be the holy grail of ‘92 and ‘93 shows?

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

So the corollary question must be, what would be the holy grail of ‘92 and ‘93 shows?

For '92 I'd say either Tokyo night 1 (they opened with Coma), Memphis (last performance of Dust N Bones), or Las Vegas (where at least a few Live Era songs were recorded).

For '93 I'd say Austin, Texas (first performance of The Garden and Garden Of Eden, first Skin N Bones show with the acoustic set), Boston (rare performance of Reckless Life, great show all-around) or one of the European shows with Izzy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

For '92 I'd say either Tokyo night 1 (they opened with Coma), Memphis (last performance of Dust N Bones), or Las Vegas (where at least a few Live Era songs were recorded).

For '93 I'd say Austin, Texas (first performance of The Garden and Garden Of Eden, first Skin N Bones show with the acoustic set), Boston (rare performance of Reckless Life, great show all-around) or one of the European shows with Izzy.

This exactly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Wow you nailed it.  If Ihad absolutely pick just one from each year I’d go Memphis for 92 and Austin for 93.  I’ve always been enamored with that show because of The Garden and Garden of Eden.  The fan audio is terrible from that show.