Limulus and unreleased UYI proshots

38 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

yea.. Axl Rose

Always makes me wonder has anyone who’s gotten something autographed by Axl or ran into him or mentioned him on twitter or met him backstage at a concert ever actually asked him if he would release UYI or Appetite lineup shows? Surely he must know that he can make gobs of money off of people like me by releasing all those shows. Minus the repetitive ‘92 shows, id probably buy damn near all of the UYI concerts on blu-ray...

On 8/13/2018 at 1:01 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

Always makes me wonder has anyone who’s gotten something autographed by Axl or ran into him or mentioned him on twitter or met him backstage at a concert ever actually asked him if he would release UYI or Appetite lineup shows? Surely he must know that he can make gobs of money off of people like me by releasing all those shows. Minus the repetitive ‘92 shows, id probably buy damn near all of the UYI concerts on blu-ray...

There’s a lot of work and overhead involved in releasing these videos and only a small group of people will buy multiple. 

Also, most of them are probably shot on SD video so the Blu-rays would be upscaled. 

Their best bet would be to choose a couple or a few and release them in a box set. It’s more likely to get people to buy more than a single show. 

House of Blues was so fucking cool to see. It's by far my favourite GNR gig I've seen footage of I think. I'm hoping that we'll get the full version as opposed to the watered down version at one point as the audio is outstanding. I hate GNR's version of Live and Let Die, but at the HOB show and Saskatoon I would say it's a highlight.

It would be amazing if the December 2001 shows ever seen the light of day. But anything in the quality of Saskatoon or HOB would be very enjoyable!

Edited by Dean
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hollywood_democracy said:

There’s a lot of work and overhead involved in releasing these videos and only a small group of people will buy multiple. 

Also, most of them are probably shot on SD video so the Blu-rays would be upscaled. 

Their best bet would be to choose a couple or a few and release them in a box set. It’s more likely to get people to buy more than a single show. 

The quality would be similar to Tokyo visually, or the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert Blu-Ray. And the audio could be sorted out to be like live era, just minus the compression hopefully

1 hour ago, Dean said:

It would be amazing if the December 2001 shows ever seen the light of day. But anything in the quality of Saskatoon or HOB would be very enjoyable!

Agreed. The first night would be fascinating to watch, but I don't think I'd watch it more than once or twice. The second night seems like "the one to have" of those shows.

12.29.01 - The Joint, Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV
attendance: 1,400
set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Guitar Solo [Buckethead], Oh My God, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Out Ta Get Me, Madagascar, Rocket Queen, November Rain, Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Acoustic Guitar Solo [Buckethead], Patience, Silkworms, My Michelle, Paradise City
audio/video recording?: no
notes: A very odd and entertaining show. Unlike the new band’s first show together [1.1.01], GN’R hit the stage early - around 10:52 p.m. and play ‘till about 1 a.m. Axl began the show wearing a #12 Oakland Raiders Rich Gannon jersey. During ‘Welcome To The Jungle,’ Axl gives the finger to some people in the crowd. There were many sound problems early on in the show, with Axl often leaving the stage while the band continued to play. Tommy sang almost all of ‘Oh My God.’ Robin also threw his guitar down during ‘Oh My God,’ obviously enraged by the problems. Axl’s odd presence continued on for the rest of the night, probably since he wasn’t comfortable with his sound-piece. Later on in the show he would yell at his sound guy. Buckethead’s first guitar solo is played pretty much to cover up for the sound difficulties. He played parts of the ‘Star Wars Theme’ and the ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean Theme.’ After ‘Rocket Queen,’ Axl told the crowd about the band’s current status. He talked about how these shows in Vegas were the first ones he wanted to play since the UYI tour. He nonchalantly criticized Doug Goldstein for booking the European 2001 tour without his knowledge, leading Axl to find out about it through the internet! He went on to promise that the band would eventually deliver on the album. All the songs were played straight-through – there was no encore break. The most astonishing thing is that Axl worked through the night’s problems and didn’t let the crowd down by ending the show early.

12.31.01 - The Joint, Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas, NV
attendance: 1,400
set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Oh My God, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Madagascar, November Rain, Out Ta Get Me, Guitar Solo [Buckethead], Rocket Queen, Chinese Democracy, Acoustic Guitar Solo [Buckethead], Patience, The Blues, Silkworms, My Michelle, Nightrain
encore: Paradise City
audio/video recording?: no
notes: Another New Year’s gig in Vegas – GN’R hit the stage around 11:05 p.m. and plays ‘till about 1:15 a.m. The band is in a much more relaxed mood, most likely due to the lack of sound difficulties. Early in the show Axl wore a #44 Florida St. Seminoles football jersey. This show definitely had a harder edge to it – the band wanted to prove that the 12.29 show was a fluke. Everyone was on fire – Axl hitting all his vocals and both lead guitarists shredding every note! One of the night’s highlights was a flawless performance of ‘Oh My God’ – something that hadn’t been pulled off in the band’s previous three gigs. Often during the show Axl would run off to the side of the stage when he wasn’t singing – he was really enjoying watching the band nail every song! At 11:54 p.m. – 6 minutes before the new year – Earl [Axl’s bodyguard] notified Axl that it was close to midnight – the band then launched into an amazing version of ‘Madagascar.’ The song finished exactly at midnight at which point the stage screens showed the Vegas strip live. Confetti was then shot off into the crowd for a few minutes and Axl started to play piano, which eventually led into ‘November Rain.’ During Buckethead’s guitar solo, he played parts of the ‘Star Wars Theme,’ a little of ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow’ and also a little of Van Halen’s ‘Eruption.’ After the solo, Axl came onstage and joked, “I think Darth is in the house tonight!” After ‘My Michelle,’ Axl thanked the crowd for coming. Again he mentioned that these Vegas shows were the first gigs he wanted to play in a very long time. At this point a fan in the crowd – you know who you are Mark Roulley – threw a handmade towel onto the stage that said “Celebrity Deathmatch was fixed!” Axl got a huge laugh out of this, as did Tommy. At the end of ‘Paradise City,’ Axl screamed, “TWO-THOUSAND-FUCKIN’-TWO! LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, GOOD… FUCKIN’… NIGHT!!!”

11 hours ago, Dean said:

House of Blues was so fucking cool to see. It's by far my favourite GNR gig I've seen footage of I think. I'm hoping that we'll get the full version as opposed to the watered down version at one point as the audio is outstanding. I hate GNR's version of Live and Let Die, but at the HOB show and Saskatoon I would say it's a highlight.

Both of those shows are great! Two completely different sounds, but badass in their own right.

I've always thought it was amazing that not even an audience recording had surfaced for the December '01 shows.

• GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Locomotive, along with garden of Eden for me

correct, GoE was only played TWICE in history, during two February 1993 shows. and only one of those is circulating as audience audio recording.

similarly rare as Bad Apples, just we were so lucky that we got those as a freaking soundboard from RIR2 :)

2 hours ago, zombux said:

correct, GoE was only played TWICE in history, during two February 1993 shows. and only one of those is circulating as audience audio recording.

similarly rare as Bad Apples, just we were so lucky that we got those as a freaking soundboard from RIR2 :)

Yep, granted the announcer talks all through the song 😑 really I wanna hear back off bitch from Toronto 91 in soundboard along with garden of Eden and some of the rarer Axl songs and intros like One and the Eric Carmen song, can't remember which one it was

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Yep, granted the announcer talks all through the song 😑 really I wanna hear back off bitch from Toronto 91 in soundboard along with garden of Eden and some of the rarer Axl songs and intros like One and the Eric Carmen song, can't remember which one it was

Back Off Bitch from Toronto and Locomotive from Shoreline Amphitheatre would be so incredible. As a sidenote, just imagine having the four Great Western Forum shows as one boxset, and the MSG shows as another. 

I would absolutely love a proshot of Locomotive. 

Sad thing is, we know allllllll of this stuff is just sitting around locked up.

How or why GNR has never started any sort of video streaming service for the shows they have in the vault is absolutely beyond me. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

17 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

How or why GNR has never started any sort of video streaming service for the shows they have in the vault is absolutely beyond me. 

That would take time, effort and money.
The Rolling Stones have released almost every proshot concert they ever shot on DVD and BluRay. You have literally a dozen DVDs to choose from representing any live era of that band. Even shows that are considered shoddy performances (Hyde Park '69) were released. Or look at the Grateful Dead, who ENCOURAGE bootlegging, trading, and even released fan bootlegs in cleaned up form for official release. The fact that GN'R seem to refuse to wanna offer their fans anywhere the same, which only hurts their wallets and legacy, is sad. I know I would never want to show Tokyo 92 to a new fan to show them how powerful GN'R were live in their prime. It would be sort of embarrassing, actually. But that's all they're willing to give us. That and a half re recorded live record. Meanwhile, hundreds of shows from 85 to the present sit somewhere, rotting away

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fashionista said:

That would take time, effort and money.
The Rolling Stones have released almost every proshot concert they ever shot on DVD and BluRay. You have literally a dozen DVDs to choose from representing any live era of that band. Even shows that are considered shoddy performances (Hyde Park '69) were released. Or look at the Grateful Dead, who ENCOURAGE bootlegging, trading, and even released fan bootlegs in cleaned up form for official release. The fact that GN'R seem to refuse to wanna offer their fans anywhere the same, which only hurts their wallets and legacy, is sad. I know I would never want to show Tokyo 92 to a new fan to show them how powerful GN'R were live in their prime. It would be sort of embarrassing, actually. But that's all they're willing to give us. That and a half re recorded live record. Meanwhile, hundreds of shows from 85 to the present sit somewhere, rotting away

yep, Grateful Dead and Smashing Pumpkins have all their bootlegs officially uploaded at Archive.org. mindblowing effort!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Used to be on Youtube.

That goes for pretty much any performance of any song that was performed during the UYI era. Back Off Bitch from Toronto for an example. 

What I meant is that I want proshots of these to be released.

2 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I wonder, are there Metallica soundboards from the UYI era? Are there other bands like Faith No more, motohead, Alice in chains etc.?

oh yes. FNM has some awesome soundboards from that era! look for "Phoenix Rising" or "Hard Rock Caca" for example.

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I would seriously lose my shit if they were to ever play this live again. Such a powerful track and one that takes you to magical places in your mind.

Sad thing is we could of possibly had a pro shot of Locomotive at Paris 92 had Jeff Beck not had his ears blown out at rehearsals the day before. That clip with Jeff playing along was such a tease. Not sure if it would have been in the main set list on show day. Guess we will never know if it had been planned.

• Like 1