Chinese Democracy 2- Did anyone ever hear what the tracklist was?

Sorry if this is old or discussed, I know a lot of people have their inside sources and maybe even a rumor tracklist did pop up, I just wondered if anyone had heard what songs were going to be on the submitted album that got rejected however many years ago?

2 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

The General, Soul Monster, Seven, and Thyme were "A List" songs so presumably they would.

Atlas Shrugged was likely to be included as well. 

Besides that...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Do you know who classified them as "A List" songs? And ya with the rumors that Slash re-recorded the guitar parts on Atlas I assumed it would be on there

The General, Thyme, Seven and Leave Me Alone — four tracks Beltrami worked on.

Oklahoma, Ides of March, Quick Song, Zodiac, Atlas Shrugged and Down by the Ocean all confirmed by Axl in 2008.

Oklahoma may’ve been changed to Berlin, but it was actually confirmed back in 2000 in a RollingStone piece along with TWAT and The Blues.

idk, this is right up there with the thread "What do you think the best sounding song is out of the songs we never heard?"  It's a giant speculation party.  As a rule there isn't really anything wrong with that, but let's be clear that there is not an official track list anywhere.  We are all just having fun guessing.  There is not an actual answer to this question.

7 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Beta said they had 48 songs in 2001. Axl said they had 35 songs in 2006.

That's about as official as you're gonna get.

Pretty much exactly this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I'm well aware.

It doesn't mean what you're implying.

We don't really know. 

Everyone on this board would rather listen to Jackie Chan than Scraped but that made CD. 

So by your logic, it's worse than Scraped. 

It could be. You never know.

From the small clip of "I.R.S." that surfaced in 2005, you'd think it was a vicious rocker. When the complete song leaked, the song was something entirely different.

18 minutes ago, The Macaroni Incident? said:

In November '99, Axl told Kurt Loder the band was working on 70 songs.

Notice how the number got smaller and smaller over the years.

Axl once claimed CD should be part of a trilogy and I think he even said the albums are done, right? 

Later on he just talked about two records...

That CD 2 was rejected by the record company is just a rumor. Nothing we can relate on as a fact.

40 minutes ago, The Macaroni Incident? said:

In November '99, Axl told Kurt Loder the band was working on 70 songs.

Notice how the number got smaller and smaller over the years.

Brian May (who is a reputable source, who worked with Axl in 2000 and has no reason to lie for Axl) said there was two albums' worth of vocals.

18 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Axl once claimed CD should be part of a trilogy and I think he even said the albums are done, right? 

Later on he just talked about two records...

That CD 2 was rejected by the record company is just a rumor. Nothing we can relate on as a fact.

He never said a trilogy. He said in 2002 two albums and then a third bonus album (probably remixes). Baz used the word 'trilogy.' Baz also described Sorry as Doom Metal.

1999:

Rose: We've been working on, I don't know, 70 songs.

Loder: Oh!

Rose: The record will be about, anywhere from 16 to 18 songs, but we recorded at least two albums' worth of material that is solidly recorded. But we are working on a lot more songs than that at the same time... in that way, what we're doing is exploring so, you know, you get a good idea, you save it, and then maybe you come back to it later, or maybe you get a good idea and you go, "That's really cool, but that's not what we're looking for. Okay, let's try something new." You know, basically taking the advance money for the record and actually spending it on the record.

The rebuilding - and ongoing reinvention - of Guns N Roses has been a difficult and, quite obviously, slow and expensive process. Rose does point out that the expense will be less glaring if, as he expects, he gets another record out of the hours and hours of material he's committed to tape, possibly one that's even more industrial and electronica-influence than Chinese Democracy. 

Axl: We hadn't written songs or recorded for many years. There were band changes and there were many changes in the record company. People in the record company had many opinions and they wanted to make the best possible record. Every time that we thought that we had the correct songs, then somebody thought that we could make it better. We started over, we continued adding songs, continued recording and recording. I think that when we release the album, it's gonna be something that I'm gonna be proud of and confident in. Then, we will also have an extra heap of songs. This band has played only been together for six weeks before Rio. So it is still very new for them to play together as band, with Robin (Finck) and Buckethead. That was a surprise. Obviously, that was the correct decision to make, but it was not originally planned to have three guitarists.

Axl: It's gonna be a big rock show, yeah. We've... There's, there's a lot going on in, on the staging of it, you know. And pyro and different things like that, so it will be a, a big show.

But also this show is something that is, is designed to be growing. You know, over the next couple of years. It's like, this is the start of something, but then remember we will be putting out a record and then... About a year of so after that, we'll be putting out another one. So there'll be a lot more material added to the set with a lot more things going on. This is the beginning, and we need to be showing people, you know, a lot of the older material, but it will grow.

Edited by Fashionista
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jamillos said:

What I’ve always wondered was something Axl said in those chats in 2008. He said one song got exchanged at the last minute for another one. I would love to know which two songs these were and why it happened.

Atlas shrugged got pulled at the last minute due to running time

Its kind of sad reading those old Axl quotes.  He sounded motivated to get plenty of music out in late 90's / early 00's.

All the word on the street seemed to be that there was 2 or 3 albums worth of stuff.

Then silence, followed by more and more and more silence.  Seems like something went wrong somewhere.

Either the label didn't support the material.  Or maybe Axl wasn't confident in it.  Or band members / managers constantly leaving.

Probably a mixture of all of the above.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Its kind of sad reading those old Axl quotes.  He sounded motivated to get plenty of music out in late 90's / early 00's.

All the word on the street seemed to be that there was 2 or 3 albums worth of stuff.

Then silence, followed by more and more and more silence.  Seems like something went wrong somewhere.

Either the label didn't support the material.  Or maybe Axl wasn't confident in it.  Or band members / managers constantly leaving.

Probably a mixture of all of the above.

Well said. Im sure it is a mixture of al the above.

Ive heard the adage said that rock musicians maturity stalls at whatever age they are signed. This may be more historical then a current reality, because they used to be so pampered and encouraged to indulge and not think. This was to be able to market the image of decadence and danger and also was used to swindle many artists while they weren't paying attention.

Maybe Axl was stalled and able to have an extended adolescence and was going full steam into indulging all his teenaged rock star fantasies during CD era, but then at some point he grew up? Suddenly "pussy full of maggots" didnt sound as bad ass? Suddenly sleeping at night and being cordial with his bandmates made sense? I think he outgrew the conceit, maybe. Reverted back to just the most classic sounding tracks and called it a day. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Well said. Im sure it is a mixture of al the above.

Ive heard the adage said that rock musicians maturity stalls at whatever age they are signed. This may be more historical then a current reality, because they used to be so pampered and encouraged to indulge and not think. This was to be able to market the image of decadence and danger and also was used to swindle many artists while they weren't paying attention.

Maybe Axl was stalled and able to have an extended adolescence and was going full steam into indulging all his teenaged rock star fantasies during CD era, but then at some point he grew up? Suddenly "pussy full of maggots" didnt sound as bad ass? Suddenly sleeping at night and being cordial with his bandmates made sense? I think he outgrew the conceit, maybe. Reverted back to just the most classic sounding tracks and called it a day. 

he basically had a mid life crises ? 

• Like 2