Chinese Democracy 2- Did anyone ever hear what the tracklist was?

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

There were only left over track titles which didn’t go on CD. Which were then thought to be possible tracks of the follow up, Axl claimed in 09 would be next year (10). Guess rec comp decided no because CD was a “flop”. And that is when in 2011 GNR started playing more Best of sets, they did rally a few times set list wise. But 2010 was make or break. 

I have no idea. The release of CD was bizarre.

18 hours ago, The Macaroni Incident? said:

There wasn't any word on the tracklist for CD2 because there is no such thing as CD2.

The songs on the 2008 album were the "A List."

If Axl Rose was sitting on a collection of great songs, do you think the label would refuse to release them?

Don't delude yourself, folks.

Axl would have to release them as finished tracks in order for them to be released by the label no?

Atlas Shrugged

Cuban Skies

Monstrosity

Soul Monster

Thyme

No Love Remains 

Going Down

Seven

The General

Silkworms

Light My Fire

Tonto

Down by The Ocean

Quick Song

Ides of March

- Supposedly those were some of the songs included, not my that order, and I'm not sure if Silkworms was included either...

Edited by Propaganda

1 hour ago, Mysteron said:

At the point when CD was released, there was no CD2 track list.

Have not seen you on the forum in years. Welcome back. You were considered an insider back in the CD era and if I’m not mistaken helped fans with Hammerstein pre-sales and confirmed Shacklers for Rock Band 2 before anyone else.

Good to have you back!

Edited by GNR 1991
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lies They Tell said:

Cause CD didn't have enough ballads?

I get your point, but I also understand why they wanted to include some faster tempo songs on the album.

They should have taken out Prostitute and Shackler's Revenge, and Include Silkworms and Oh My God!

4 hours ago, UYI4 said:

Why after all of these years has nobody else talked about songs that werent on CD within more interviews.  That many band members come and gone and nothing, but vague answers, or "I forgots."  I am also surprised that there has not been more leaked in that regard if there truly are so many songs.  Right or wrong, it just happens.  Im sure all 300+(sarcasm) members of GNR over the last 25 years post Illusions has copies of this stuff in one form or another.  Im not dropping hints it should be shared or anything, just kind of surprised given the summit of the borderline over the last 20 years with the internet.

There was one lucky bastard (worked for Sony I think) who was good with sheet music, so Brain had given him a bunch of discs with at least the majority of recorded songs so that he could notate the drum tracks for him.

I've always thought about how amazing it would be if one day that guy just said "Fuck it" and leaked the lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Yes but maybe before the chats or release of the album. Like things like Thyme and Seven came from a Beltrami quote. But even after it was interesting. Why call If the World: If. 

The cd was rejected a few times in 99 and 2001 and the cover photo and tracks were around from that time so it’s a recreation of something that could have been. 

No doubt some of those are actual songs, I am just not 100% sure the back side cover is real. I often wondered exactly why the albums were rejected. I get some people wanted to break this version of the band up and get the old guys back, but what other reasons are there? The tracks didn't sound like GnR?

Wouldn't the label let Axl release CD2 if he just credited it under his own name? They don't want a GNR album without Slash and Duff, but what if it was released as an Axl Rose album instead? Maybe something like "Axl and Friends - Chinese Democracy II." It would be like the Traveling Wilburys missing Vol. 2 album, but instead there would be no CD1, because it's a GNR album. He could release all those songs that've been mentioned for years, and still go on to release a proper GNR album in the near future. Everybody wins.

11 minutes ago, ApacheChief42 said:

Wouldn't the label let Axl release CD2 if he just credited it under his own name? They don't want a GNR album without Slash and Duff, but what if it was released as an Axl Rose album instead? Maybe something like "Axl and Friends - Chinese Democracy II." It would be like the Traveling Wilburys missing Vol. 2 album, but instead there would be no CD1, because it's a GNR album. He could release all those songs that've been mentioned for years, and still go on to release a proper GNR album in the near future. Everybody wins.

I do think that releasing it as a solo project is the only way we will ever hear those songs. Although I doubt even that will happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

In my book, it is an extremely well designed album cover front and back when such things were quite rare. They have a very sharp attention to detail.

It is either a very, very well made fake (not sure those Geffen logos were public domain at the time) or a work-in-progress / placeholder cover and therefore legitimate.

If @Silent Jay has proof to share, I'm welcome to hear it.

Hey, Evader does one heck of a job recreating songs we have never heard! Not to say that this cover is fake, I really would like to believe it isn't but there is no way to know right now.

6 hours ago, Stoymatic said:

No doubt some of those are actual songs, I am just not 100% sure the back side cover is real. I often wondered exactly why the albums were rejected. I get some people wanted to break this version of the band up and get the old guys back, but what other reasons are there? The tracks didn't sound like GnR?

Yeah the cover is probably a mock up, 20% a cd the had different versions on. But Ron said he never got full songs to play on. 

I think to release and promo costs money and not many bands get the privilege of a double release. There were a lot of opinions on GNR up to 2004. But that final thing was very much art v commerce. Axl had the album, Azzof had the Best Buy deal. This was it industry wise. The bail out of the 14 million dollar album. They got their money back and cut their losses. What they didn’t bank on was Axl touring it until 2014. They wanted a reunion tour in 2008. 

Axl called the second album meaner, nastier so probably less commercial than cd. Silkworms, Oh my god, The General, Soul Monster sound heavier in description. Atlas is a glam rock nov rain (zutaut). Jackie Chan has roots in the 90s maybe. Down by the Ocean by Izzy might be a tune. 

CD although really GNR in dynamics doesn’t have the sound that Slash/Duff bring and that’s what sells. So recomp want them for the last release on their contract I guess. But re-releases might sell more so...

12 hours ago, wasted said:

So Better, Shacklers, If the World, Scraped, Sorry, This I Love, Prostitute were all finished later around 2004. And they replaced those songs on above list.   

Sean Beavan has a digital arrangement credit for If The World. He said that most of the vocals on CD were recorded during his time (1999 - early-mid 2000) and Axl credited him for the vocals he had recorded. So most likely a version of ITW existed already in 2000 and was probably intended for CD.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Sean Beavan has a digital arrangement credit for If The World. He said that most of the vocals on CD were recorded during his time (1999 - early-mid 2000) and Axl credited him for the vocals he had recorded. So most likely a version of ITW existed already in 2000 and was probably intended for CD.

Bucket did the solo in 2004 in Costanzo session. But I think ITW was an early Pitman jam. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wasted said:

Bucket did the solo in 2004 in Costanzo session. But I think ITW was an early Pitman jam. 

Chris Pitman has talked about that song in a german newspaper.

"Like many songs I write, it all started with my old 12-string guitar standing next to my sofa. I bought it from a pawnbroker for $ 50 years ago and never changed the strings ever since. This gave her a pretty bass-heavy sound. I just started with this riff, which makes pretty cool vocals possible. Crazy as I am, I recorded this directly on a drum machine sampler, MPC2000, and edited it to sound almost mechanical.  After that, I wrote the drums with a dub / reggae beat, and I hit the second and fourth beat really hard. Then I went to my studio and added strings, piano, bass, echo guitar, synth and sub-bass. I gave the footage to Axl, and he added his part by recording the song in a single night. When I heard what he had done with the material, I was completely overwhelmed. I've never heard such a song before - that's how it is today. Later we added guitar solos, as "spice on top", so to speak."

http://www.nrhz.de/flyer/beitrag.php?id=13269

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, wasted said:

Actually, Beavan is credited with “Initial Production on Bucket solos If the World and Madagascar”. They were later edited, re-amped and re-engineered by Caram.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wasted said:

CD although really GNR in dynamics doesn’t have the sound that Slash/Duff bring and that’s what sells. So recomp want them for the last release on their contract I guess. But re-releases might sell more so...

An album with Slash and Duff will outsell one without them every time. Casual fans see "Guns n Roses are back together" and they think all the players are back. Axl can sell on his name alone, but the name "Axl" can't and will never outsell a "reunited GnR"

Speaking of Axl and a solo record...It would have been soooo nice if he could've just used his own name to release records and we would have had plenty more music from him. There would not have been all these corporate types lying and deceiving, trying to get the old band back together which in turn delayed the CD release....Oh what could have been....

• Like 2

Not a tracklist per se, but all the CD 2/3 song titles confirmed as real:

1 Oh My God
2 Silkworms
3 Going Down
4 Jackie Chan
5 Atlas Shrugged
6 The General
7 Soul Monster / Leave Me Alone / Elvis Presley and The Monster Of Soul
8 Thyme
9 Seven
10 Quick Song
11 Down By The Ocean
12 Berlin / Oklahoma
13 Zodiac
14 Ides Of March
15 Beta's Barn
16 Cuban Skies
17 Monstrosity
18 Light My Fire
19 Tonto
20 Forgotten
21 Broken

Axl mentioned 'Daddy Can The Devil Do Mommy and Me?', but said it was a solo piece, so most likely never considered a part of the CD sessions. 

Edited by Azifwekare
  • Like 1