Oh my God deserves way more appreciation

I remember with shitty AOL dial up finding a bad quality version of it on youtube and was mystified by it for the longest time.   Axl's distorted angry sounding vocals, the weird but cool disco parts after the choruses, the whole weirdness of the GNR situation, etc.

I personally love this song!  It has more bite to it than anything on CD in terms of vocal delivery and instrumentation. 

Edited by WhazUp

OMG has always been one of my favourite GNR tunes ever since I first heard it. It's an absolute beast. It's great to finally see it getting some love in this surprising era of CD nostalgia. 

3 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

It's in the Artist Playlist section at the bottom of the Guns N Roses page because it was never officially released as a single.

If Sympathy for the Devil weren't released on GH, it'd be there too.

What country is that in? It's not in any of the UK playlists.

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I think it's way overrated here on the forum. Never was a fan of it.

I'm actually quite surprised by the reaction in this thread. I've thought for years that I was one of the only people who liked it a lot. 

Love “OMG”. One of my Top 10 Guns songs overall. Such an intricately designed and well-constructed song IMHO. I think it’s  a stunningly higher quality compared to the other songs on the soundtrack (incidentally a “Who’s Who?” of late 90s metal/nu-metal)...

10 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm actually quite surprised by the reaction in this thread. I've thought for years that I was one of the only people who liked it a lot. 

A lot of us love Oh My God, but I think for some reason a lot of the people who hate Nu-Guns aren't on here right now so it seems like we are all in agreement haha

• Like 1

I like OMG more than say Shackler's or Riad but I can totally see why fans of the classic sound wouldn't be into it. But I think that would be more about the arrangement and instrumentation rather than the song itself. Axl should have made a whole album like this. Really good song with lots of atmosphere, verve and energy. Very underrated.

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I talked about this recently on @sidman69's podcast. 

I just wasn't willing to give a Slash-less GN'R a try when OMG was released. A couple years later I broke down and listened to it a few times. LOVED it from that moment on and it ended up being the thing that left me far more open to the future of Guns w/o Slash.

Believe it or not I gave it a shot right off the bat.. I bought that soundtrack the day it came out and liked the song.. It still isn't a Guns N' Roses song to me but it is a good song and better than probably anything on Chinese Democracy.. 

I actually don't dislike the song, I don't... But, of all the songs from the CD era (that we've heard) I think this one aged the worst. 

I like Axls voice on it, and I quite like the majority of the song (hate the section after the guitar solos, why Axl?:shrugs:)

I think the current released version is ok, I think it's probably getting a fair enough shake, especially on here where every dream setlist thread has GNR opening and closing with this song :P or ...Silkworms:blink: 

Think Axl said it best, when he described it as a demo. It seems about 70% done, then it was like "They need the recording today, it is what it is" I can imagine that being the exact circumstances too :rofl-lol: I don't think they would have made a great song (it's good) out of it even if they did rearrange it a bit more.

I throw this song on every once in a while, I remember being starved for new GNR music some time last year and turning to this... it did the job :D 

I would say it's probably my favorite CD era song.

I remember the first time I heard it in promo for End Of Days, the film, on MTV, I was fascinated by the sound. What was amazing was that I had no idea it was GN'R because I just assumed GN'R was dead (I had heard nothing of Chinese Democracy at that point as far as rumor).

When discovered it was a song by one of my childhood rock heroes, I was floored. That was back when I still thought the album release was imminent and I couldn't have been more excited for the new band and the new sound.

• Like 2

OMG has been always in my top 10.

I didn't like the audio quality at the time specially compared to other bands being in the soundtrack CD. But hey they wanted to include something new from GNR even if it's a demo!

But to me what is important is the way it got released. Probably the last time a release was handled professionally and with no delay lol

Though I know the label gave a serious deadline to Axl and he had been procrastinating till the last day and Sean Beavan had to spent in studio with Axl till morning for the final mix.

I'm actually enjoying ImSorry's version a lot.

Edited by ©GnrPersia