Oh my God deserves way more appreciation

I always wondered why people hated on OMG and couldn't understand why.  IMO the vocals are very melodic and the industrial sound was a welcomed departure from the classic sound. 

My CD era go to songs are: OMG, TWAT (cd version), Maddy (MSL - due to the clearness of the multiple guitar parts simultaneously), Shacklers, Prostitute and Riad (antiquiet versions), Better (cd version with new live beginning sliced in).

• 5 months later...

I love the song and I loved the movie! Gabriel Byrne did a hell of a job playing the devil.

I think the song needs a totally different mix than what was done.

It needs to be wider and less compressed. The guitars need to sound less electronic on the solos, the drums should be louder and the melody should be clearer.

On 13/08/2018 at 1:24 PM, marunic said:

People were expecting CD to be from the beginning some sort of Appetite classic rocker album (thank god it wasn't) but it seemed Axl wanted to advance as a musician (CD being much more complex than appetite in general)

are you seriously saying that "People were expecting CD to be from the beginning some sort of Appetite classic rocker album"?

people who? people where? people when? where you even alive at the time? "people" at the time knew that axl solo album was going to be an utter and complete departure from GN'R sound, specially from appetite. believe me, no one was expecting appetite style music

oh and please stop repeating this "Axl-wanted-to-advance-as-a-musician" nonsense

what comes next? "axl had a vision"?

if axl wanted to advance as a musician, why didnt he even go to the hundred rehearsals that his hired musicians did without him at the time?

gimme a fucking break

what axl apparently wanted was FULL AND UNDISPUTED CONTROL and he got it until the day that Geffen (or Universal or whatever other name his label had) got sick of watching him spend zillion dollars and do nothing

and what Axl was apparently trying really hard to was FOLLOW WHATEVER TREND that was "hot" at the time so he could be in a place where "cool" people would look at him and say how "modern" and "current" and "advanced" he was

Oh, and CD more complex than appetite? more complex how? just because it has 489 juxtaposed tracks on every song?

gimme a fucking break

• Like 2

18 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I still wish we could have heard a proper recording of this song with Buckethead.

The HOB version of this song is my favorite.

A proper 2002ish version of CD in general with bucket on all the leads bumble was pasted over would be the holy grail, for me.

• Like 1

I think, if you're coming at Guns N' Roses from a place of appreciating a relentless type of rock, you don't have a lot on Chinese Democracy to please you.

Out of what we've heard from the new-band era, Oh My God is probably the closest thing in capturing the rocket-in-bottle energy and attitude. 

Interesting fact concerning End of Days: Gabriel Byrne has to be a great diverse actor.

Prior to End of Days, the movie he starred in directly before it was called "Stigmata" and he played a Priest.....The very next movie he stars in, is End of Days, and he plays Satan. 

But OMG was much better than the movie it's featured in, for sure!!

• Like 1