Slash Speaks! Rolling Stone Interview 08/14/2018

loool I was coming to post this, it's got some nice responses from Slash :headbang::lol:

How does it feel to be trying to write big rock riffs with the genre so far out of the mainstream?
You have to find ideas that turn yourself on, because no one out there is putting stuff out that turns you on like when you first started. Or anywhere close. It makes you work really hard — you’re still sort of kicking your own ass to do something good.

Your first solo album was a sign of doom for the original Guns. Is there any message being sent by releasing this project now?
No. It’s really just that we started it and then I put it on the back burner, so I’m just finishing it up. But, I mean, at the same time, I wanna keep that going as something that I have outside of what Guns N’ Roses is doing.

Is the idea to make sure you never have any time off?
I mean, for the most part, yeah. And I’ve been producing horror movies too. It’s a little crazy, but it’s way better for me to be fucking busy running around and doing that than for me just to be sitting around [laughs].

Have you stayed sober since 2006?
Yeah, so it’s been going well. All addicts and alcoholics have to always know that it’s there. And I think, probably I’m at my weakest if I don’t have a bunch of shit going on.

Did you really think that Coachella could’ve been it for the Guns reunion?
Originally, it was just to do those first couple of shows, and that was a gas. I missed being on a stage with Axl and Duff [McKagan]. I missed that combination. It whet the appetite to do more.

:popcorn:

So are you in Guns N’ Roses, or are you just playing with Guns N’ Roses?
Oh, that’s an interesting question. From the moment we started playing together and embarking on this journey, I would consider it being in Guns N’ Roses, not just being hired to play Guns N’ Roses songs.

So technically, legally, is it a band again?
I’m in the band — there is no contractual anything at this point. So however you want to look at it.

I really enjoy seeing you play the Chinese Democracy tracks. What’s that like for you?
Um, I mean, it’s fun playing them. There’s nothing weird about it. It’s not like I’m playing something out of my comfort zone. I’m very conscious of maintaining the integrity of the recording, but still doing it the way that I would approach it.

:popcorn:

Axl said you and Duff might play on new Guns material. True?
I think probably the best way to look at is, if something happens, then it happens. There you go.

Specifically, he said he was playing you songs, and that you might end up on it.
Yeah. You know what? I’m not lighting that fuse.

:lol:

Can you clear up exactly how all of this happened? What were your first conversations with Axl like?
Yeah, I know everybody wants to ask me stuff like that, but in the Guns N’ Roses world, I’ve found that . . . I’d just rather not even get into it. Because at this point, it’s like, Guns N’ Roses is, and that’s basically all that really needs to be said. I don’t like to get into the dynamics of how . . . ’cause it always gets misconstrued. And the superficial stuff that people want to look into, it always seems to rise to the surface; and it’s hard to get away from that after years and years and years of being that band that had, uh, that kind of media dynamic going on. So, I just sort of avoid it.

:ph34r:

What can you say about the Izzy situation on this tour?
Uh, I’m not gonna go anywhere near that. I thought what he had to say about it, from what I saw – I didn’t read the whole thing – but the basic come away, I thought, was well handled.

---

Fantastic interview, hahahahaaa, Slash is pissed off :hahafyou:

• Like 1

Lots of info despite his concise and at times (understandably) cagey responses! Many things that are interesting to me, but Ill pick the Izzy comment. 

Q - What can you say about the Izzy situation on this tour?
A - Uh, I’m not gonna go anywhere near that. I thought what he had to say about it, from what I saw – I didn’t read the whole thing – but the basic come away, I thought, was well handled.

Is slash saying that Izzy's tweets about "the loot" are accurate and Izzy "well handled" the situation? Or is Slash saying that he doesn't like Izzy's tweets and therefore thinks that the decision to not involve Izzy was a "well handled" decision? 

• Confused 1

So are you in Guns N’ Roses, or are you just playing with Guns N’ Roses?

Oh, that’s an interesting question. From the moment we started playing together and embarking on this journey, I would consider it being in Guns N’ Roses, not just being hired to play Guns N’ Roses songs.

So technically, legally, is it a band again?
I’m in the band — there is no contractual anything at this point. So however you want to look at it.

:lol: slash at least acts like he wants to answer some of these questions. I really enjoy the way he dances around some of it.

Edited by Tourettes2400
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Axl said you and Duff might play on new Guns material. True?
I think probably the best way to look at is, if something happens, then it happens. There you go.

Specifically, he said he was playing you songs, and that you might end up on it.
Yeah. You know what? I’m not lighting that fuse.

No new Guns music then :shrugs:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

What’s it like playing with Frank Ferrer? He doesn’t sound like Steven Adler or Matt Sorum. He has his own thing. What’s the vibe there musically?

Well, no, he doesn’t play like either of those guys, but he’s been doing it for longer than I was ever in the band [laughs]. So he’s got his thing on lock, yeah.

The passive aggressive behavior is the only way for Slash to express his anger.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, soon said:

Is slash saying that Izzy's tweets about "the loot" are accurate and Izzy "well handled" the situation? Or is Slash saying that he doesn't like Izzy's tweets and therefore thinks that the decision to not involve Izzy was a "well handled" decision? 

My intuition tells me he is referring to the second Izzy tweet, not the first one.