Slash Speaks! Rolling Stone Interview 08/14/2018

Is it my english or what does Slash's answer mean? What I get is that he doesn't want to go into details why Izzy isn't there. Maybe he doesn't really care but understands how sensitive and political that is to fans.

What I understand is that Slash thinks the GnR management / Axl handled the Izzy situation and communication well. I don’t think Slash was referring to Izzy’s tweets. Slash seems to be aware on how some definite answer would be percieved in RnR media and among GnR fans so he doesn’t give his real opinion or saying anything precise.Typical Slash speak, really. I love Slash but I do hate the Izzy situation and how the band is managing it. I enjoy the Slash-dance around the questions though. lol

Other than that I did enjoy his answers on his identity, his childhood, him being a dad and doing the drug-talk to his kids. I think that’s rather genuine and interesting, it portraits Slash as a person.

The band talk, no matter what band, has always been a PR thing for Slash and he never really said anything that he still would say 5 years later. So ... :shrugs:

Edited by Tori72

Great interview but cagey responses. Sad what he said about Weiland. His take on the past is typically revisionist. He was pissed at the 1994 music being rejected. and the rock magazines especially Kerrang documents that. Glad he sobered up. Hope 2021 will see a new GNR record. That said his performances for Not in This Lifetime were phenomenal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Is it my english or what does Slash's answer mean? What I get is that he doesn't want to go into details why Izzy isn't there. Maybe he doesn't really care but understands how sensitive and political that is to fans.

I think he is informed about Izzy's pissed off tweet and everything that happened after it.... the rest of the tweets, the rumours and even the fans popping up at shows with 'Where's Izzy?' signs, so he knows that situation of "he said, they said" is something he doesn't want to go "nowhere near" because it will always be a point of conflict. Izzy stated one thing, Axl said different. Where does it lie the truth? Slash doesn't feel like clarifying any of it.

Probably because it is just what Izzy said later in the WSJ article... that he couldn't find a happy middle-ground and that negotiations failed.

There's not much else to say about it.

• Like 2

Insightful and honest. 

Avoided questions that weren't really his place to answer (new music/Izzy)

Except that Perla one. He definitely lied about that, but he's presented her with an offer for the divorce, so I can see why he played that one off cool.

Edited by Axl_morris

A couple of things I gather from the interview:

- He likes Richard, but Frank not so much.

- CD songs (combined with what he told in the other interview with Trunk as well as with the Arlett Vereecke interview): He doesn't mind playing them, he actually likes some of the songs, he thinks he has made them his own and sounding better than on the record.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

A couple of things I gather from the interview:

- He likes Richard, but Frank not so much.

- CD songs (combined with what he told in the other interview with Trunk as well as with the Arlett Vereecke interview): He doesn't mind playing them, he actually likes some of the songs, he thinks he has made them his own and sounding better than on the record.

And he call Axl "Ax".....

I like the interview a lot....the writer saw Axl between the sheeps?

16 minutes ago, alfierose said:

this reunion is mostly a hard nosed business decision. I've enjoyed the shows and I think they have too but whether they are a band in the creative sense at this point is debatable. This interview hasn't done anything to persuade me an album is even on the table.

This, I think, was the big takeaway from this interview.  It literally is what it is, as in a powerful touring machine.  Guns N' Roses, as a creative entity, has been bankrupt for over 10 years now.  However sad, it's how it is. 

"If it happens, it happens." sounds absolutely grim. 

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 2

and when I mention Guns N’ Roses’ unexpected punctuality on every night of the tour, he snaps. “All right,” Slash says, “I’m getting sick and tired of talking about this shit.” But he keeps talking.

Surprised this wasn't posted yet, but you can see he's kinda fed up by now.

What a great interview! Finally the right questions were asked geez it took a while but we're there. Slash does have a strange way of answering some things tho, and he seems to bullshit here and there, but damn is there anyone else more passionate about playing music than this guy??

• Like 2