Why did Izzy quit the reunion after flying out for a soundcheck? Hadn't the money already been discussed at that point?

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Three reasons for no Izzy:

1. Team Brazil/Del + other Axl leeches living expenses/retirement fund requirements

2. Slash's divorce settlement + alimony payments to Perla

3. Duff's expanding Yacht collection

Welcome back, @RONIN:bucket:

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, RageKage said:

Makes sense. They probably planned afd5 for the troubadour and Coachella. Then the offers for the tour came in and they decided to do that with a different lineup.

That's maybe when Steven got the call from duff, saying he was out. 

That's what I think happened too.

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Anything is possible with this band. I think the AFD5 reunion may have been discussed for Coachella. 

But I don't think they really trust Izzy / Steven for a long term commitment. 

We'll probably never know for sure. They've all spoken publically since and it's still not clear what actually happened. 

That's how I see it to. I think a lot of things were happening and changing fast. Like Axl's Jimmy Kimmel appearance to announce whatever he was going to announce that was cancelled - what he was originally there to announce might have changed. I think it's some version of reaching out to Izzy and Adler early on and then not wanting to/being able to work with them when it turned into something bigger. 

• Like 1

Izzy was scared that his amp may end up muted again.

On a real note though, i dont think that izzy showing up and leaving is true. I believe the money thing, the fact that they dont split the loot equally. Personally i like richard a lot and i don't feel the need of izzy as much for the songs as i felt for slash and duff. I love izzy, and as for steven, he clearly makes a huge difference in the sound of the songs. 

Related to Adler, as much as i dont like frank's weak and kinda feminine style i feel like he is a better choice from a long tour perspective than Adler. I love stevie, but i think he is not able to do a full tour, 3+ hours nights from 3 to 3 days. 

For a special night, a big broadcast, only the AFD5 playing a 15 songs set with only afd era stuff and full rasp Axl would be the best thing ever. But its just me wondering at 2 am insted of sleepin' 

It's true they're not splitting the pot equally, but they were never going to.  While we'd love to see Izzy back the main draws are Axl & Slash (and sort of Duff) and they play more important roles. Thus, they're paid more.

I honestly don't think Axl would fire Richard either even if Izzy wanted in.

6 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

I honestly don't think Axl would fire Richard either even if Izzy wanted in.

Well honestly, would you?

The guy has been there for nearly 20 years, he was always loyal and did a great job. Just fire him? Nah. 

Many people might think the opposite, but to me Fortus isn't just a replacement. He's a real part of Guns N' Roses. And I accept that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Well honestly, would you?

The guy has been there for nearly 20 years, he was always loyal and did a great job. Just fire him? Nah. 

Many people might think the opposite, but to me Fortus isn't just a replacement. He's a real part of Guns N' Roses. And I accept that.

IF Izzy was to join GNR, I'd think Richard would stay in as well, and the 3 guitar lineup would still exist. 

in 2015 Axl lost two guitarists and only was able to recruit one instead of them.

also considering Axl still wants to play ChiDem songs live, it wouldn't be possible without Richard.

On 16-8-2018 at 1:22 AM, tkarmy said:

Can you imagine Izzy playing This I Love or There was a Time.... he's not there because he probably only wanted to play stuff that he was on, there was no big payoff and the whole thing kinda is a circus

oh, so you mean he only wanted to play ACTUAL GNR SONGS ?

16 minutes ago, Eddie Money said:

Hello everyone. I spent time with people associated with the band at the Loews Vanderbilt Hotel in Nashville on the Sunday morning after the show.  At no time did anyone discuss Izzy almost participating in the show.  I didn't see him around the hotel.  I personally don't believe he every took the stage for soundcheck.  He may have been invited, but I saw no evidence that he was in town.  

I trust your opinion, I think the Izzy story is a fabrication

• Like 2

Personally I believe - if Izzy would have made it back in the band - it would have not necessarily been a good thing. He hated touring, most likely still does today,  I do not think that the extended tour that we got would have been possible with him. I think in the early days when they negotiated with him it was not planned to have such a big tour. Maybe AEG did have a masterplan in its drawer, I think the band though decided step by step. See how it goes, add another show, then another leg....

So if Izzy would have been in, I highly doubt that the tour would have survived...

And frankly, I am incredibly grateful for this long tour. I got to see them 6,7 times on this tour and it was great in one way or the other every time. In the dark ages (95 to 2015), one did not even dare to dream about this.

2 hours ago, God of Thunder said:

Personally I believe - if Izzy would have made it back in the band - it would have not necessarily been a good thing. He hated touring, most likely still does today,  I do not think that the extended tour that we got would have been possible with him. I think in the early days when they negotiated with him it was not planned to have such a big tour. Maybe AEG did have a masterplan in its drawer, I think the band though decided step by step. See how it goes, add another show, then another leg....

So if Izzy would have been in, I highly doubt that the tour would have survived...

And frankly, I am incredibly grateful for this long tour. I got to see them 6,7 times on this tour and it was great in one way or the other every time. In the dark ages (95 to 2015), one did not even dare to dream about this.

I've never got the impression that Izzy hates/hated touring per se, but touring in chaotic/fucked up conditions (while the guy himself simultaneously was trying to stay off drugs, sane and alive) 

I also believe that no one (realistically)  planned Izzy to join the NITLT -tour full time, but make guest appearances instead. So I don't think his involvement would've have been any kind of threat to the tour.  

But I do believe it's possible, that getting used to living an independent, quiet life for a long time, away from touring and publicity, could've been a part of the reason why Izzy skipped this tour (the other big part - well everyone knows what that is) 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1

To quit something you have to have been a part of something. Izzy to my knowledge was never part of the reunion bar there being confirmation that there were issues over money. The only source we have for izzy being in any way involved is Alan Niven. Ive seen no other confirmed source or evidence that izzy was at a soundcheck anywhere on this tour. 

57 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

I wonder if Steven was still using drugs and Izzy just said "nope" and left so he didn't have to be around it

As far as we know, Steven smokes pot but doesn't drink or do hard drugs. There was an interview with Chip Z'Nuff who said Steven talked to him after playing with GNR in Cincinnati and Steven told him he was smoking weed. That is just idiotic. No wonder Slash and Duff don't want to be around him. He has no judgment. Your sober friends finally give you what you've wanted for 20+ years and right after you light up a joint? Real smart, Steven.

I think it's perhaps unfair to assume we know all the details of the touring agreement and it's presumptuous to pass judgment on any of them. Given the history, I would have to imagine there are a lot of stipulations, agreements and possible penalties in that contract to insure it wouldn't be a fiasco. Both Stevie and Izzy are liabilities. Steve for obvious reasons. Izzy is known to flake out and just leave if he doesn't like the vibe of things. It's why we think he's cool. But from the other perspective it's a huge WHAT IF? that they preferred not to deal with.
  • Like 2

I wish Izzy would do what John Corabi did. When Crue where on their farewell tour, Corabi knew they weren't going to touch the Crue '94 album, but he knew there were big fans of the album out there. 

So he put together a bad ass band and went out there playing the album front to back. He knew there was a market for it, so he got off his ass and did it. 

Izzy could easily do something similar if he were inclined, except he wouldn't have to work from just one album. He'd have AFD, his UYI tracks and his solo stuff to boot. 

I think all the people painting Izzy as this guy who got the short end of the stick on this whole deal are a little naive. 

If Izzy really wanted to something (anything) for the fans, he could. Very easily. It's just clear that he doesn't want to. Seems simple as that to me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

there obviosuly was something that went wrong before Troubadour, when they cancelled that tv apperance last minute.

No idea if it was Izzy or Steve or both.

Yep. It's not like all these rumored stories are false. Steven supposedly hurt his shoulder in rehearsals, otherwise would've been in from day 1 at the Troubadour. Make no mistake, the highest ups of the tour (even higher than Axl) fully intended on it being a full AFD5 reunion going forward.

Also, too many people are saying/assuming that Axl wouldn't just "fire" Fortus. But if Izzy truly wanted back in (and it appears he did, but just not for his offered share), he would've got the job. The mere fact that there were money discussions with Izzy proves that he was in if he wanted. So whether people want to call it "firing" Fortus or whatever, he would've been gone.

3 minutes ago, paranoyd androyd said:

Yep. It's not like all these rumored stories are false. Steven supposedly hurt his shoulder in rehearsals, otherwise would've been in from day 1 at the Troubadour. Make no mistake, the highest ups of the tour (even higher than Axl) fully intended on it being a full AFD5 reunion going forward.

Also, too many people are saying/assuming that Axl wouldn't just "fire" Fortus. But if Izzy truly wanted back in (and it appears he did, but just not for his offered share), he would've got the job. The mere fact that there were money discussions with Izzy proves that he was in if he wanted. So whether people want to call it "firing" Fortus or whatever, he would've been gone.

I think it was Steven's back, not shoulders.  If Izzy and Steven were a part of it, it seems like the plan was to have them play on the AFD (and Izzy the UYI stuff that he was involved in maybe) but have Frank on drums for UYI, CD and probably covers also.  Fortus would have been there for CD stuff for sure and possibly a 3rd guitar on AFD/UYI.  I don't think the NITL plan was ever just the AFD5+Dizzy by themselves.

Who knows, maybe they are truly brilliant and have made all this money on NITL and will bring Izzy and Steven on board for a 2019 tour hoping to get people that saw NITL to shell out again for a full reunion.  I honestly don't think that NITL would have sold that many more tickets if Izzy and Steven were there, certainly not enough more to cover their cost.  Now, a 2019 tour with them could be the spark needed to be able to play stadiums again instead of arenas/amphitheaters. 

5 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

I think it was Steven's back, not shoulders.  If Izzy and Steven were a part of it, it seems like the plan was to have them play on the AFD (and Izzy the UYI stuff that he was involved in maybe) but have Frank on drums for UYI, CD and probably covers also.  Fortus would have been there for CD stuff for sure and possibly a 3rd guitar on AFD/UYI.  I don't think the NITL plan was ever just the AFD5+Dizzy by themselves.

Who knows, maybe they are truly brilliant and have made all this money on NITL and will bring Izzy and Steven on board for a 2019 tour hoping to get people that saw NITL to shell out again for a full reunion.  I honestly don't think that NITL would have sold that many more tickets if Izzy and Steven were there, certainly not enough more to cover their cost.  Now, a 2019 tour with them could be the spark needed to be able to play stadiums again instead of arenas/amphitheaters. 

I don't think it was going to be a pure AF5 at first because weren't Frank and Fortus at early rehearsals? But I think they would have been featured if it was just the warm up shows and Coachella. But then it became something much bigger and they didn't trust/come to terms with Izzy/Adler for that.

• Like 2